Kings - Nuggets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Kings - Nuggets 

Post#1 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:41 am

Kings deal: Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams
Nuggets deal: Javale McGee and Miller

Why for kings. They get a shotblocking big to play with or behind Cousins
Why for the Nuggets. They get to take a flyer on Williams who would fit their high paced offense and shed half of mcgee contract for this summer.
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Re: Kings - Nuggets 

Post#2 » by username_taken » Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:57 am

Sounds decent, but not so sure Denver would want that Thompson contract.
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#3 » by torotoe » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:43 am

No from Denver. This is a downgrade and the salary differences don't do it for me. Thompson's contract is worse than McGee's given the money is the same (over 3 yrs vs 2 yrs) for a lesser player.

McGee has positive value. The guy has a skill set which is clearly in demand. This is a running league, a 7' C who can run is gold. That's why McGee, warts and all, has positive value.

Also, if taking a flyer on Williams means trading Q.Miller, doesn't that seem counter productive? I'd put Q down as an unknown. That said, I'm not a fan of williams and I would rather take my chances with Q. I believe that williams is a known commodity and frankly, @ 6.3m he's far more overpaid than McGee. I believe Q is worth more than williams given he is paid very little and can be cut at any time. Not only that, but he had a strong summer league showing progress. You CAN NOT perceive that as a negative, where as William's play thus far has been uninspiring.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#4 » by nomansland » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:11 pm

I love how everyone says Denver wants to get rid of McGee's "bad" contract yet there are a lot of teams trying to trade for him...
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#5 » by youngthegiant » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:15 pm

Maybe if you Take Hickson back.......but I probably still wouldn't do it.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#6 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:17 pm

I would have a difficult time referring to a contract worth more than $11 million per season as being good when attached to a player with 6 years of experience who has never logged at least 30mpg for a season.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#7 » by loserX » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:28 pm

nomansland wrote:I love how everyone says Denver wants to get rid of McGee's "bad" contract yet there are a lot of teams trying to trade for him...

What are they offering? Real assets? If it's other bad contracts then I don't really see your point.

As for this trade, I wouldn't do it if I'm Sacramento. They need high-IQ vets to help Boogie and Rudy become better players...Javale isn't really who I would think of to fit that role.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#8 » by nomansland » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:22 pm

loserX wrote:
nomansland wrote:I love how everyone says Denver wants to get rid of McGee's "bad" contract yet there are a lot of teams trying to trade for him...

What are they offering? Real assets? If it's other bad contracts then I don't really see your point.

As for this trade, I wouldn't do it if I'm Sacramento. They need high-IQ vets to help Boogie and Rudy become better players...Javale isn't really who I would think of to fit that role.

The point is people are constantly telling us that he has a bad contract and therefore it's worth it for Denver to take on their crap and/or mediocre assets.

If he were that bad people wouldn't be trying to trade for him, and they're trying to sell the "bad contract" angle as a reason for Denver to swallow the hook.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:36 pm

nomansland wrote:
loserX wrote:

The point is people are constantly telling us that he has a bad contract and therefore it's worth it for Denver to take on their crap and/or mediocre assets.

If he were that bad people wouldn't be trying to trade for him, and they're trying to sell the "bad contract" angle as a reason for Denver to swallow the hook.

Disagree. When you have bad contracts, you try to swap them for other contracts that at least have a little more utility for you. That doesn't make your guy all that desirable, just slightly more desirable than the bad contracts a team already wants to get rid of.

There are lots of deals on here for bad contracts, but most of them are just shuffles. I've seen Gerald Wallace trades on here and you won't find a lot of guys claiming he's secretly a great deal :wink:
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#10 » by nomansland » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:33 pm

loserX wrote:
nomansland wrote:
loserX wrote:

Disagree. When you have bad contracts, you try to swap them for other contracts that at least have a little more utility for you. That doesn't make your guy all that desirable, just slightly more desirable than the bad contracts a team already wants to get rid of.

There are lots of deals on here for bad contracts, but most of them are just shuffles. I've seen Gerald Wallace trades on here and you won't find a lot of guys claiming he's secretly a great deal :wink:

Yeah but most Nets fans will tell you Wallace is washed up and his deal is awful. You also don't see people saying, "that Gerald Wallace contract is terrible. Let's do a deal for my crap and take him off your hands."

BTW I'm not saying McGee is great, or that his deal is awesome. It's a market-value deal that has 2 years left. Not awful, not amazing. It's just a little odd to hear people use his deal as justification for taking on their crap. McGee still has some value, probably more to Denver than a lot of other teams since the Nugs have already invested so much in him. Might as well ride it out another year and see if it finally pays off.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,150

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 7:31 pm

BOOGIE-MONSTER wrote:Kings deal: Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams
Nuggets deal: Javale McGee and Miller

Why for kings. They get a shotblocking big to play with or behind Cousins
Why for the Nuggets. They get to take a flyer on Williams who would fit their high paced offense and shed half of mcgee contract for this summer.

Nuggets are already set at PF so trading a center for two PFs doesn't make much sense for them (sorry but JJ Hickson is not a center). Sacramento has to at least find a third team willing to take Hickson to make this work.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#12 » by Jaseface » Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:39 pm

I was going to ask why there are so many McGee trades here lately...
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#13 » by Smitty731 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:59 am

I like the idea of watching McGee and Cousins play together. They can both foul guys repeatedly, chase crazy blocked shots, chase rebounds with blocking out, and that is just on defense!

This would almost guarantee that we would see two teammates ejected for fighting each other. What a volatile mix.
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#14 » by King Baller » Tue Sep 9, 2014 4:41 am

Jason Thompson is 6' 11" and can run but I guess he is not gold :lol:

Seriously, I would rather have JT and DWill on the Kings that that 2 time winner of Shaqtin' A Fool :D

KB
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#15 » by King Baller » Tue Sep 9, 2014 4:44 am

"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#16 » by the_process » Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:22 am

King Baller wrote:Image

LOL good stuff. People trying to give Denver "crap" for McGee is an upgrade from the Wallace trades, in those trades other teams WANT TO BE PAID to take Wallace, with McGee people are willing to give up something even if nominal because he can block shots. Anyway, normally I would say that Thompson's contract is too long, but I don't know if cap space really matters for Denver, and Thompson is a decent back up C. With Mozgov and Faried to start Thompson is in his correct role. Dumping McGee is a positive. The QMiller for DWilliams is a bit much, though. Let Denver keep Q, trade still works, AND I get a full season of McGee and Cuz. Sacto definitely goes on the League Pass then lol. Must see TV.

Return to Trades and Transactions