LA Lakers Offseason Review

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

LA Lakers Offseason Review 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Current Salary Cap Status: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1317393

Players Resigned: Xavier Henry, Jordan Hill, Wesley Johnson, Ryan Kelly, Nick Young

Additions: Keith Appling, Carlos Boozer, Jabari Brown, Jordan Clarkson, Ed Davis, Wayne Ellington, Jeremy Lin, Ronnie Price, Julius Randle, Roscoe Smith, Jeremy Tyler

Subtractions: Kent Bazemore, MarShon Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman, Kendall Marshall, Jodie Meeks

Predicted Opening Night Depth Chart (assumes a 15 man roster for all teams, new additions in bold):
PG: Steve Nash, Jeremy Lin
SG: Kobe Bryant, Xavier Henry, Wayne Ellington, Jordan Clarkson
SF: Wesley Johnson, Nick Young
PF: Carlos Boozer, Julius Randle, Ryan Kelly
C: Jordan Hill, Ed Davis, Robert Sacre, Jeremy Tyler

Offseason Grade: B-

Analysis: The Lakers more or less chose to punt on the cap space they had available after failing to land a major free agent. It wasn’t a bad decision at all. No need to spend it needlessly and lock in to bad long term deals. They took on basically no money past this season, but still added a few quality players. Lin gives them a backup PG and he’ll start when Nash inevitably misses time. If Nash does go down, the Lakers need to add another PG. I think Clarkson is far more SG than PG, but we’ll see. Boozer will allow Randle to develop at his own pace for a while and not have to play immediately. He can also play against second lines to build his confidence. Ed Davis was a really nice pickup. I think he continues to be underrated. They signed him for next to nothing. He’ll far outplay that deal.

They didn’t lose anything that they would have liked to keep, minus maybe Kendall Marshall. He was on just about as cheap a contract you can get. He gave them excellent production and would have been fine as a third PG. Gasol is obviously an all-timer, but the Lakers had no need for him anymore. Every other guy was probably thanked for what he did in a down year and shown the door without reservation.

The Lakers are clearly rebuilding. They aren’t a playoff team with this bunch. They would need at least 3 teams to fall apart entirely in front of them. The good thing is this is another deep draft. And the Lakers are set up to have all kinds of space next year as well. They can try all these guys on cheap deals and pick and choose who they want back. If nothing else, the Lakers can turn Kobe Bryant loose and let him score at will. He is chasing down some big time names on the all-time scoring lists. They might as well let him go for it. The Lakers will back in a year or two. They always are.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Re: LA Lakers Offseason Review 

Post#2 » by warren weel im » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 am

The biggest addition the Lakers will have this year is Kobe Bryant. Yes he is 36, coming off major injuries, but you can doubt him at your own peril. Kobe will give the team 22-25ppg easy and more efficiently. Whether it results to wins, is another matter. I think our peak is making the playoffs as a 7th seed, but you never know which star goes down next.

On paper, we're not the best. We have sub-standard rim protection, we have suspect transition defense and it will depend on Scott's supposed defensive schemes to make the team better defensively than they are individually.

The Boozer acquisition has made the team older, but another body to play 24-27mpg is welcome. The Lakers aren't going to tank therefore we have to put a good product on the court. Randle will come off the bench to start, might even start at SF ala Lamar Odom if spacing issue is resolved, but eventually will be given the shot to start. I think he takes this if his body and mind are ready.

Eventually, Lin will start too, and while Linsanity is no longer a craze, Lin will revive his good basketball skills in LA where he has support and where a team will not misuse his talent ala Houston.

Nick Young will be himself but I also think he elevates into a 20ppg scorer at some point, playing above 25mpg and becoming the team's defacto 2nd scorer. Him and Kobe will be playing crunchtime minutes if we aren't trailing by 15 points in the last 3 minutes of the game.

1: Nash - Lin - Clarkson/Price
2: Bryant - Henry - Ellington
3: Johnson - Young -
4: Boozer - Randle - Kelly
5: Hill - Davis - Sacre
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#3 » by Jaseface » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 pm

I think the jury is still out on their offseason. They lost a lot, but they took a lot in. They lost Gasol, which I think will hurt them, but they got Boozer and Lin, though I don't think you would consider either of them saviors. Getting Randall is a huge, huge get, assuming his foot is okay. I think they'll miss Marshall. He was a great distributor for them, especially when you consider what a black hole Kobe is with the ball. I feel for Ed Davis. He signed there, likely thinking he would be a starter, or at least a backup, but with Booz and Randall, he's a 3rd string PF. They'll be interesting, for sure. A four-guard rotation of Kobe, Nick Young, Nash and Lin could be very interesting.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Jaseface wrote:I think the jury is still out on their offseason. They lost a lot, but they took a lot in. They lost Gasol, which I think will hurt them, but they got Boozer and Lin, though I don't think you would consider either of them saviors. Getting Randall is a huge, huge get, assuming his foot is okay. I think they'll miss Marshall. He was a great distributor for them, especially when you consider what a black hole Kobe is with the ball. I feel for Ed Davis. He signed there, likely thinking he would be a starter, or at least a backup, but with Booz and Randall, he's a 3rd string PF. They'll be interesting, for sure. A four-guard rotation of Kobe, Nick Young, Nash and Lin could be very interesting.

Ed signed to be a backup C...check your facts. He played backup C in mem as well and the blackhole you speak off avg. 4asst/gm for his career.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#5 » by Jaseface » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Jaseface wrote:I think the jury is still out on their offseason. They lost a lot, but they took a lot in. They lost Gasol, which I think will hurt them, but they got Boozer and Lin, though I don't think you would consider either of them saviors. Getting Randall is a huge, huge get, assuming his foot is okay. I think they'll miss Marshall. He was a great distributor for them, especially when you consider what a black hole Kobe is with the ball. I feel for Ed Davis. He signed there, likely thinking he would be a starter, or at least a backup, but with Booz and Randall, he's a 3rd string PF. They'll be interesting, for sure. A four-guard rotation of Kobe, Nick Young, Nash and Lin could be very interesting.

Ed signed to be a backup C...check your facts. He played backup C in mem as well and the blackhole you speak off avg. 4asst/gm for his career.

Why so defensive?
If I "check my facts," I see that Davis is a rail-thin 225 pounds. Other "back-up centers" are going to abuse him in the post.
And as often as Bryant has the ball, he should average more than "4 apg." He's taking 20 shots per game for his career. I'm not saying him being a "black hole" is a terrible thing, it is just the way he is. As a Lakers fan, you know this. Please don't act like this isn't his M.O.
I hope it's okay that I mention that, I don't want to upset you again.... :roll:
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#6 » by LApwnd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Jaseface wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Why so defensive?
If I "check my facts," I see that Davis is a rail-thin 225 pounds. Other "back-up centers" are going to abuse him in the post.
And as often as Bryant has the ball, he should average more than "4 apg." He's taking 20 shots per game for his career. I'm not saying him being a "black hole" is a terrible thing, it is just the way he is. As a Lakers fan, you know this. Please don't act like this isn't his M.O.
I hope it's okay that I mention that, I don't want to upset you again.... :roll:

the starting C isn't any bigger, it is what it is...the only legit C we have is Sacre and he's not very good. As for your back handed suggestion of Kobe, um he's a SHOOTING guard, why don't you show me a SHOOTING guard who has a significantly better career assist avg?
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#7 » by AdonisDeMarion » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 pm

you came here just to start so mess, nothing but hate within your post. We'll be good
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#8 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:44 am

I really miss Gasol. I have faith both Kobe and Nash have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove they can still play at an all-star level. I love Randle and Ed Davis additions, but without Gasol my Lakers simply do not have the answer. Boozer could be a great 6th man IF Randle is ready. Randle is going to be a cross between LO and ZBo. I'm glad we kept him. Laker fans are not use to having a good rookie. The last two were Bynum in 2005 and Kobe in 96.

If Kobe can stay healthy he will end up 3rd all-time in scoring, but there is no magic move that will make our Lakers a contender this season. I just hope we can manage to have an impact and possible make the play-offs. It feels like 05-06 again.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#9 » by RollingWave » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:44 am

The Lakers won't have their pick unless they end up as a bottom 5 team, which isn't impossible with this bunch but you figure if Kobe gives them anything he probably push them out of that range.

They aren't a playoff team in this conference most likely, granted, we thought Phoenix was going to be one of the 3 worst team in the league last year so sometimes teams surprise, and there's enough stuff there that it shouldn't shock people if they push 40 wins. still, they need to more like push 50 to make the playoff in the west unfortunately.

They're in a tough position, truthfully they might as well try to play well and push up the stock of some of their players so they actually have some leverage going forward in trades and FA signings (no body likes to sign with a crappy team, even if it is the Lakers.), given that they're unlikely to finish bad enough to keep their pick.
The river of time wash away all heroes
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#10 » by jowglenn » Wed Oct 1, 2014 10:47 am

I'm just proud that I called most parts of it - Trading for Lin, picking up Boozer off the amnesty wire - in my biggest Lakers offseason plan thread.

I certainly did not predict the Jordan Hill overpay, but I understand it now, given the 2nd year team option.

If Kobe comes back strong, there is a chance this team makes the playoffs. Only like a 20% chance, and only if Kobe comes back really strong.

I highly doubt they finish as a bottom 5 team; I mean, really? Last year they didn't have Kobe, Boozer, Lin, Randle and they weren't a bottom 5 team.

I think Lin will have a big year in LA. Kobe will mentor him.

Return to Trades and Transactions