Brooklyn/Detroit/Portland 8 Player Swap...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Brooklyn/Detroit/Portland 8 Player Swap... 

Post#1 » by pja123 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:34 pm

Nets get:
Brandon Jennings
Josh Smith
Thomas Robinson

Pistons get:
Deron Williams
Joel Freeland
Victor Claver

Blazers get:
Kevin Garnett
Jorge Guitierrez

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE NETS:
They get younger, deeper, and more athletic with this deal.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE PISTONS:
They clear the log-jam in the frontcourt and get an upgrade at PG (if D-Will is finally healthy).

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
They deal away 3 non-essential backups and get a seasoned vet big with tremendous leadership skills and playoff experience.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: Brooklyn/Detroit/Portland 8 Player Swap... 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:47 pm

I think KG has a NTC, doesn't he? If so he nixes this I think.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#3 » by a_sensei » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:33 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I think KG has a NTC, doesn't he? If so he nixes this I think.

Not so sure. He may see it as a chance to contend once more.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#4 » by Village Idiot » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:41 pm

Portland would undoubtedly do this if KG accepts. He'd be the perfect back-up PF/C for the Blazers.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#5 » by Billl » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:55 pm

So the pistons trade Smith for one of the few players with an ever worse contract? No thanks. Dwil is damaged goods at this point.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 6, 2014 10:04 pm

pja123 wrote:Nets get:
Brandon Jennings
Josh Smith
Thomas Robinson

Pistons get:
Deron Williams
Joel Freeland
Victor Claver

Blazers get:
Kevin Garnett
Jorge Guitierrez

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE NETS:
They get younger, deeper, and more athletic with this deal.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE PISTONS:
They clear the log-jam in the frontcourt and get an upgrade at PG (if D-Will is finally healthy).

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
They deal away 3 non-essential backups and get a seasoned vet big with tremendous leadership skills and playoff experience.

Easy yes for the nets. we getter better on the floor and shed 10 million in 16-17.

i dont get it for the pistons. they get worse and take on salary.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,492

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:01 pm

I have always liked D-Will for Jennings/Smith swaps.. But I think with Monroe in question - this becomes a scary move for Det.. Smith might be the long term answer at PF now. But if Monroe resigning is looking likely - then I think Det does it with a bit of value, and Brooklyn could definitely add value here.

I know Teletovic is loved in Brooklyn, but he would be a nice add for this Det team (great shooting third big who can play with either of Monroe/Dre).. That would be a nice bump in value for them - Thomas Robinson isn't much value in my opinion he can go to Det/Brk whoever.

It's a risk for Det that I don't think they make at this point though honestly.. Dre/Monroe/Deron isn't going to win a title hardly even compete for one really. At least as is, they can hope to hit it big in FA next year or the lottery to take that next step.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#8 » by BigLurch92 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:24 pm

I would do it as a Blazers fan although it would be sweeter if Leonard was going to DET in place of Freeland.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#9 » by Jaseface » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:33 am

This is pretty brutal for the Pistons. I get that they want to unload the dead baggage in Smith and Jennings, but those two players still have SOME value....more than a disappointing Derrick Williams and pocket change.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#10 » by DarkXaero » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:50 am

Id rather keep Deron than take on those two toxic players.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#11 » by Notanoob » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:11 am

If DWill's ankles really are better, I bet Stan could get the best out of him. Plus, with Smith out of the way, we could honestly keep Monroe. I like it, not a lot, but enough to do it.

Excellent deal for Portland, they still desperately need a 3rd big and KG provides them with exactly what they need. He still has an underrated defensive impact by directing the defense and could teach Leonard how to play defense like he did Plumlee, which would be huge because Leonard had decent potential and needs to find a role fast so that the can further develop with playing time.

Brooklyn is the team that might regret this the most, but Smith would provide good value for them playing PF again, and I bet they really are sick of having DWill on their team.
jerzeyguy201
Junior
And1: 118

Post#12 » by jerzeyguy201 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Notanoob wrote:If DWill's ankles really are better, I bet Stan could get the best out of him. Plus, with Smith out of the way, we could honestly keep Monroe. I like it, not a lot, but enough to do it.

Excellent deal for Portland, they still desperately need a 3rd big and KG provides them with exactly what they need. He still has an underrated defensive impact by directing the defense and could teach Leonard how to play defense like he did Plumlee, which would be huge because Leonard had decent potential and needs to find a role fast so that the can further develop with playing time.

Brooklyn is the team that might regret this the most, but Smith would provide good value for them playing PF again, and I bet they really are sick of having DWill on their team.

its not the Brooklyn franchise that hates DWill

its the Brooklyn fans on realgm that hate Dwill

then again those same fans seem to hate Lopez also.......and Joe Johnson, Kg, Jack etc etc

needless to say im not a fan of the Brooklyn Nets fan on Realgm at all
#WeTheLost #WeTheCry #WeTheRobbed #WeTheFishin #WeTheDrake
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#13 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 pm

jerzeyguy201 wrote:
Notanoob wrote:If DWill's ankles really are better, I bet Stan could get the best out of him. Plus, with Smith out of the way, we could honestly keep Monroe. I like it, not a lot, but enough to do it.

then again those same fans seem to hate Lopez also.......and Joe Johnson, Kg, Jack etc etc

The only player I'm not a fan of his is D.Will but that's been more for his attitude. He can't help the injuries and when healthy he's been great.

Prokorov is the only one I know that hates Lopez...and Deron.
This team is nothing without them though.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#14 » by DetroitPistons » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Jaseface wrote:This is pretty brutal for the Pistons. I get that they want to unload the dead baggage in Smith and Jennings, but those two players still have SOME value....more than a disappointing Derrick Williams and pocket change.

I think a lot of Pistons fans are willing to hang onto Smith and Jennings and see how SVG uses them. Jennings has struggled shooting but his ability to run the offense and recent increase in defensive intensity have been great. Smith has stopped chucking as much and is sticking to more midranged shots. Both seem to have responded well to SVG so far so we aren't desperate to simply dump them.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#15 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:03 am

Jaseface wrote:This is pretty brutal for the Pistons. I get that they want to unload the dead baggage in Smith and Jennings, but those two players still have SOME value....more than a disappointing Derrick Williams and pocket change.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm

jerzeyguy201 wrote:its not the Brooklyn franchise that hates DWill

yes, someone from realgm reached through the interwebs and posted this outside barclays

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
jerzeyguy201 wrote:

The only player I'm not a fan of his is D.Will but that's been more for his attitude. He can't help the injuries and when healthy he's been great.

"nothing" without them?

this team played its best basketball since moving to brooklyn without lopez last season and while dwill was on the floor he was pretty useless having his worst season since his rookie year
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#18 » by slicedbread2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:

yes, someone from realgm reached through the interwebs and posted this outside barclays

:o

Wow someone actually posted that poster!

Oh my goodness this is freaking hilarious.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:41 pm

slicedbread2 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

:o

Wow someone actually posted that poster!

Oh my goodness this is freaking hilarious.

yes, i think it was after his 0 point game against the heat in the playoffs.... it was one of the playoff series for sure though
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#20 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
jerzeyguy201 wrote:

"nothing" without them?

this team played its best basketball since moving to brooklyn without lopez last season and while dwill was on the floor he was pretty useless having his worst season since his rookie year

This is a very different team than last year.
Look back to two years, any chance we sniff the playoffs without D.Will and/or Lopez?
I also don't think having the highest +/- by far is useless. As I said, when healthy, he's been great. However, that's been a rare occurrence, though he looks good now.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.

Return to Trades and Transactions