The three teamer that improves all teams... (NOP, GSW, CHI)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Re: The rare three teamer that improves all three teams. 

Post#21 » by Leto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 am

californiadude wrote:
Leto wrote:
californiadude wrote:PER is an extremely flawed stat and never illustrates the value of a player like thompson. And saying you might trade taj gibson for klay is even more laughable than me asking you to trade joakim noah for klay.

No, it isn't. Klay Thompson simply isn't that good. PER may be flawed, but he has a 14.3 PER. That's not even average. So, no.

Thompson's per isn't high because thompson isn't a stat sheet stuffer by any means. By your logic I should rather have brook lopez than russel westbrook. Brandon wright over james harden. Nikola pekovic over Joakim Noah. Isaiah thomas over Paul George and Kyrie. Jordan hill over tony parker. Btw Taj Gibsons 16.0 per. Jimmy butler 13.5. So by your logic trading david lee for jimmy butler and taj gibson would be a fair trade considering Lee's per is 19.2 and never a down season. Gibson had a 14 per two seasons ago.

By your logic, you think Thompson is in the same league as those players. He isn't. Gibson had a PER two seasons ago? How is that relevant? His PER last season was 16 and he has improved his post play. He is every bit as good if not better then Thompson.
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#22 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 am

Leto wrote:
californiadude wrote:
Leto wrote:
No, it isn't. Klay Thompson simply isn't that good. PER may be flawed, but he has a 14.3 PER. That's not even average. So, no.

Thompson's per isn't high because thompson isn't a stat sheet stuffer by any means. By your logic I should rather have brook lopez than russel westbrook. Brandon wright over james harden. Nikola pekovic over Joakim Noah. Isaiah thomas over Paul George and Kyrie. Jordan hill over tony parker. Btw Taj Gibsons 16.0 per. Jimmy butler 13.5. So by your logic trading david lee for jimmy butler and taj gibson would be a fair trade considering Lee's per is 19.2 and never a down season. Gibson had a 14 per two seasons ago.

By your logic, you think Thompson is in the same league as those players. He isn't. Gibson had a PER two seasons ago? How is that relevant? His PER last season was 16 and he has improved his post play. He is every bit as good if not better then Thompson.

You still didn't address my point if you go by per brook lopez is the 7th best player in the league. You can not judge a players value by per. Per is best used to find up and coming players not already cemented ones. Thompson statistically is one of the greatest shooters in history. He has more 3s in his first 3 seasons than anybody has in nba history. If you'd rather have a replacement level shotblocker who's five years older be my guest.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#23 » by HornetJail » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:19 am

Your entire argument is based on PER. You have an argument if you said you'd rather have $8M of Taj and a few million of Butler over a maxed out Klay Thompson- that's an argument. Saying that one of the best two-guards in the league, with a lethal jumper and a solid defensive game, is simply a role player, by only backing it up with PER nonsense- is not an argument.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:20 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
Leto wrote:Klay Thompson is a role player, non-all-star who had a PER of 14.3 last season. I think I might trade Gibson for him straight up, but that's about it. Adding Butler and Mirotic is laughable.

:lol:

So three backups for the absolute perfect answer for your two-guard woes is too much?

Yeah, you lose depth, but Noah/Gasol/McDermott/Klay/Rose is something that I'd be excited for and I don't even like the Bulls. Calling Klay a role player is like calling Kawhi Leonard a role player. If Klay is a role player, then so is about 95% of the NBA.

This. I'm pretty sure I'd become a chicago league pass addict if this ever happened
Leto
RealGM

Post#25 » by Leto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 am

You're right. PER doesn't give the clearest picture. You're also right that Thompson is a very good shooter. Best in NBA history? Probably not. what I do know is he isn't much of an impact player on the W's and takes a back seat to both Curry and Lee on offense. He's a good player, not great and his numbers reflect that.

I already said I'd trade Gibson for him. what I won't do is trade Gibson, Butler and Mirotic for him. In fact, I would not include either Mirotic nor Butler in any Gibson for Thompson trade. Further, I have zero interest in Lee. I might be convinced to send a heavily protected pick along with Snell and Gibson, but that pretty much is the limit.

Edit ad: One other thing. There's a reason he wasn't selected for the all-star team by either the coaches or the public. He simply is not that good.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#26 » by old rem » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:29 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Don't think Golden State is ready to move Klay for Butler, Mirotic who is a unknown and Ryno

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I do like Anderson but Lee is a much better rebounder and Klay is a lot better than butler. Were GSW looking to get younger..rather than win ASAP.. or were Miritec proven in the NBA.. maybe. As is, Klay is perfect for G alongaside Curry, Lee gets boards, consistant points.
CENSORED... No comment.
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:31 am

Leto wrote:You're right. PER doesn't give the clearest picture. You're also right that Thompson is a very good shooter. Best in NBA history? Probably not. what I do know is he isn't much of an impact player on the W's and takes a back seat to both Curry and Lee on offense. He's a good player, not great and his numbers reflect that.

I already said I'd trade Gibson for him. what I won't do is trade Gibson, Butler and Mirotic for him. In fact, I would not include either Mirotic nor Butler in any Gibson for Thompson trade. Further, I have zero interest in Lee. I might be convinced to send a heavily protected pick along with Snell and Gibson, but that pretty much is the limit.

Edit ad: One other thing. There's a reason he wasn't selected for the all-star team by either the coaches or the public. He simply is not that good.

K thats your opinion. Just wanted clear something up. I don't think thompson is the greatest shooter in history I don't think I'd put him in the top 5 or top 10. My point was that Thompson's isn't a great shooter he's a historically great shooter. He's not your run of the mill 3 and d guy.
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:40 am

bondom34 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I think GS gets amazing value for Klay here, and Chicago would balk.

Agree. Even without Mirotic its trading two great defenders both decent offensively for a more expensive pair, only one I think is a real upgrade. And they'd have to psy him next year.

Sent from my XT1080 using RealGM Forums mobile app

This is really the only hickup and it really comes down to how much the bulls value klay. Remember unless chicago is planning to be a player at the trade deadline, Lee's contract is a right off. It's 1 year rental and then it becomes a easily tradeble expiring. Besides I kinda like a lee-noah frontcourt in small doses.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#29 » by gswhoops » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If the Dubs won't move Klay for Love I doubt they'd do it for role players.

This was really all that needed to be said.

If we wouldn't include Klay to get a top-20 player in the league, we definitely wouldn't give him up for some quality role players and a complete unknown in Mirotic.
NOLA Glasses
Senior
And1: 131

Post#30 » by NOLA Glasses » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:55 am

Pels probably say no. While Gibson is fantastic, Anderson gives them a front court that can do everything plus Anderson can play with Davis and Asik just fine. Gibson's main thing is that he plays fantastic defense and if the Pels are putting their best defense lineup out there it'd be Davis and Asik still. It's not disrespectful or anything but Anderson makes more sense.
New Orleans love.
Leto
RealGM

Post#31 » by Leto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:56 am

gswhoops wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If the Dubs won't move Klay for Love I doubt they'd do it for role players.

If we wouldn't include Klay to get a top-20 player in the league, we definitely wouldn't give him up for some quality role players and a complete unknown in Mirotic.

I would agree with that. But that doesn't improve his value. It just means you over value him relative to other teams. In no world is he in the same league as Love. Klay Thompson is a role player himself.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,195

Post#32 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:32 am

I think Klay might be the best young 2 in the league today. If I were picking a guy I want on my team I would pick him has a great skillset you can't teach. Great shooter, slasher, defender, Passer, rebounder and a guy with a level head. I don't like The Warriors want to break up the best backcourt for a slight boost upfront

Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm

gswhoops wrote:

You gotta go back to what I said earlier. They didn't move klay because what they gained in the upgrade of love over lee they lost in the down grade for klay to Kmart. Here they save money and there is not as much of a drop-off shooting guard. I think I like butler a lot more than most. I think because curry is so ball dominant. Klay doesn't really get the touches he needs. I think butler would do 85% (when you count the defensive upgrade) of what thompson does. While doing it for half the price. On top of that we get mirotic who I love on a good contract. Mirotic moves extremely well for a guy that's 6'10. I think he can play small forward in small spurts. Gibson or Anderson is an elite 3rd big man. And after this trade depending on the butler extension you could carve out some pretty good cap space.
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:I think Klay might be the best young 2 in the league today. If I were picking a guy I want on my team I would pick him has a great skillset you can't teach. Great shooter, slasher, defender, Passer, rebounder and a guy with a level head. I don't like The Warriors want to break up the best backcourt for a slight boost upfront

Klay is not a good passer that's one of his biggest weaknesses. I think a really underated part of his game is his post play. With his height he can be pretty effective down there.
californiadude
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by californiadude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Leto wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

I would agree with that. But that doesn't improve his value. It just means you over value him relative to other teams. In no world is he in the same league as Love. Klay Thompson is a role player himself.

Yet the timber wolves would've rather had him and D Lee than Andrew Wiggins.
Leto
RealGM

Post#36 » by Leto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm

californiadude wrote:
Leto wrote:
gswhoops wrote:This was really all that needed to be said.

Yet the timber wolves would've rather had him and D Lee than Andrew Wiggins.

I wouldn't know. But I know there's no way I'd trade the #1 over all pick from any draft for Thompson and Lee.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#37 » by shrink » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for posting these trades. can I just suggest that you include the names of the teams or players in the title, and write out the trade in the first post? many of us don't have a lot of time to read every thread, or can't provide meaningful insight on certain teams, so I think if you start putting the team names in the title, you'll get more, and better, responses.

cheers!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach
And1: 246

Post#38 » by DLeagueAllStars » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Im just gonna say it nice and clear

Anderson fits better for the Pels since his skill set offsets asik and davis

Next butler just isnt good. He is gonna want to get paid for his.defense but he cant.shoot. Straight. We have iggy no thanks

Mirotic ia too much of an unknown

Gibson while on a team that has had no offense the last few seasons but up decent numbers is highly over rated on this board

As for Lee as much as warrior fans crush him, he ia still the only low post option the warriors have

And Klay between the praise that kobe has.given him, the minutes he got from coach k and that he has added to his game every year yeah i wouldnt even remotely touch this.deal
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#39 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Is Klay better than Jimmy? Meh. But I do know this: I'd much rather pay Butler $9mil/year than near-max for Thompson. Lee made sense for the Bulls before the Pau signing, but not anymore.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#40 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Is Klay better than Jimmy? Meh. But I do know this: I'd much rather pay Butler $9mil/year than near-max for Thompson. Lee made sense for the Bulls before the Pau signing, but not anymore.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Trades and Transactions