pacers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: pacers 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:59 am

jowglenn wrote:Yeah my tank-job concept was something like West, G Hill, & Stuckey to Houston for Jones, Papanikolau, Terry, Canaan, TPE to absorb Hill, and probably a pick (HOU fans all tried to bargain on this, I was like, give us the pick yo). Houston goes all-in with a very strong lineup of Hill/Harden/Ariza/West/Howard and maintains a decent bench with Beverly, Stuckey, Motiejunas (and whatever else they have on their bench right now, god only knows).

Pacers keep Hibbert but otherwise blow the season. Look to play up Copeland & Scola's values and trade them if possible at the deadline. Roll out a lineup of, like, CJ Watson, CJ Miles, Solomon Hill, Terrence Jones, Roy Hibbert. Terry, Sloan, Canaan, Rudez, Papnikolau, Mahinmi, Lavoy, etc as bench pieces. Pretty bad, right?

BUT they'd get a top 10 pick in the draft (top 5?)
and come back the following year with that pick, Miles, George, Jones, Hibbert, Papanikolau, S.Hill, Rudez, Mahinmi, Canaan as the only guys on the books. It's an obvious step back, but if they pick right in the draft and can sign ONE key free agent, then it could be a workable refresh.

You've suggested this before, I can see where Houston would want a David West and maybe Hill, but I don't see them giving up Jones or this "Top 10" pick you talk about. Are you referring to the Pelicans pick? Anyhow why include Stuckey who is on a league minny contract? You have the Pacers acquiring 4 for 3 which means someone gets cut right away. I assume that would be Terry getting bought out. If God forbid this came off.

First your assumptions are flawed, Houston won't give the value part of the deal Jones and the Pick, an the filler is pretty worthless except Papa's UG contract for a trade next summer. Finally the deal can't even happen until Terry's trade restriction drops off Nov 16th which is a month from now, 2 weeks into the season.

If you are talking about the Pelicans pick why do you think they will be in the top 10? I don't think they'll be that bad maybe won't make the playoffs but not a top 10 pick
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#22 » by Village Idiot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:West to Sacramento for Ben McLemore and Derrick Williams

The Kings new ownership is desperate to win now. West is a win-now solution at PF and the perfect veteran leader for that team. Stauskas has beaten out McLemore at starting SG.

Indiana gets two young guys with potential.

Personally I wouldn't move Hibbert if I'm the Pacers. I would instead do everything possible to reestablish him as a top tier center rather than move him when his value is low. This upcoming season is a lost cause and a perfect opportunity to do just that.

The Kings deal has been suggested before, probably by you. It's an easy no. Unless David is asking to be traded. Williams is a flop and McLemore looks like he should still be in college.
If Williams or McLemore were showing solid development Sacramento would not consider trading them for David West. For Indiana this is taking a chance on two guys who might just have untapped potential for a guy who isn't a good strategic feet. Indiana might be able to get a better return for West but I don't know what that might be.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#23 » by Frank Lee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:06 pm

you guys should call phoenix. there is a deal out there in the desert waiting for somebody

as HoraceG said , 'go west young man, go West'
What ? Me Worry ?
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#24 » by Xman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

I like the idea of Rox getting West and Hill.
JTerry's expiring contract and Papanik need to be in the deal to match 10.2 of the $12 mil paid to West. I would want Capela (just picked 24th), Canaan and TJones.
Beverly would be nice but Rox will want to keep him and the rest of the non-starters do not have much value.
Capela and Canaan have potential and are worth a look - just like Papanik. But, the only one that is sure to hang around is Capela until the end of his rookie deal. TJones is the guy that makes this deal work - he will probably outscore and outrebound West this year - they were equal on rebounds and West had 2 points in scoring on Jones last year. He has been a terror at times - but he is more of an inside player and Rox need a pf that plays away from the basket.
I do no think rox will give up the pick. Since the rebounds are equal and scoring is close with TJones improving - the real difference must be in spacing or D. Plus, Jones is a lot cheaper than West. Almost talking myself out of this deal for Rox after reviewing stats - but that is without watching West which makes a difference.
RonSwanson
Junior
And1: 315

Post#25 » by RonSwanson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 pm

This all depends on what people mean by "tanking". They have been in the ECF for two consecutive years and were a top-3 Eastern squad before the George injury. It would be a massive surprise if they made the playoffs now, even in the East, but to clean house completely outside of George seems a bit drastic.

Trading older vets to contenders and trying to get younger or acquire draft picks would make sense, but no one is going to give up anything the Pacers really want for Roy Hibbert after the season he had a year ago. I could definitely see Hibbert returning to his old form too and, when his mind is right, he's one of the NBA's best big men. 7'2" talented post players do not grow on trees.

The Pacers no longer have to worry about having Turner or Bynum on their roster either. Those two acquisitions were desperation moves and both were complete flops. Tanking now only makes sense if you're into knee-jerk reactions.

I think Indiana could find itself with a very high pick in the upcoming draft. There may be a chance to pair a running mate with George. Perhaps a PG like Mudiay or Rozier or a wing like Wayne Selden or Stanley Johnson. If you can acquire an impact player in the draft to paid with George and a rejuvenated Hibbert, Indiana could be back towards the top of the East in no time.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#26 » by jowglenn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Yeah my tank-job concept was something like West, G Hill, & Stuckey to Houston for Jones, Papanikolau, Terry, Canaan, TPE to absorb Hill, and probably a pick (HOU fans all tried to bargain on this, I was like, give us the pick yo). Houston goes all-in with a very strong lineup of Hill/Harden/Ariza/West/Howard and maintains a decent bench with Beverly, Stuckey, Motiejunas (and whatever else they have on their bench right now, god only knows).

Pacers keep Hibbert but otherwise blow the season. Look to play up Copeland & Scola's values and trade them if possible at the deadline. Roll out a lineup of, like, CJ Watson, CJ Miles, Solomon Hill, Terrence Jones, Roy Hibbert. Terry, Sloan, Canaan, Rudez, Papnikolau, Mahinmi, Lavoy, etc as bench pieces. Pretty bad, right?

BUT they'd get a top 10 pick in the draft (top 5?)
and come back the following year with that pick, Miles, George, Jones, Hibbert, Papanikolau, S.Hill, Rudez, Mahinmi, Canaan as the only guys on the books. It's an obvious step back, but if they pick right in the draft and can sign ONE key free agent, then it could be a workable refresh.

You've suggested this before, I can see where Houston would want a David West and maybe Hill, but I don't see them giving up Jones or this "Top 10" pick you talk about. Are you referring to the Pelicans pick? Anyhow why include Stuckey who is on a league minny contract? You have the Pacers acquiring 4 for 3 which means someone gets cut right away. I assume that would be Terry getting bought out. If God forbid this came off.

First your assumptions are flawed, Houston won't give the value part of the deal Jones and the Pick, an the filler is pretty worthless except Papa's UG contract for a trade next summer. Finally the deal can't even happen until Terry's trade restriction drops off Nov 16th which is a month from now, 2 weeks into the season.

If you are talking about the Pelicans pick why do you think they will be in the top 10? I don't think they'll be that bad maybe won't make the playoffs but not a top 10 pick

Sorry, my writing was unclear. Let me clarify.

The pick: the "top 10 (top 5) pick" I'm referring to is the Pacers' own pick. I think that if they stick with what they have, they can make the playoffs. Why not? This is a decent veteran team that will still present a solid defense night in and night out. It's still the East. By trading away West & Hill they'd plummet and be a bottom 5-10 team. So I'm saying their own pick would go like 5-10 spots higher. If they don't do a full rebuild, I honestly think they'll compete hard enough to win half their games, and get like the 15th pick in the draft. I don't like that, because I'd rather have Jones & the 6th pick in the draft (and the 23rd from HOU) than one last year of David West, two more years of George Hill, and the 15th pick in the draft. So I'm simply saying that by doing this deal, the Pacers improve their own pick by tanking into the 3-7 range. The pick that comes from the Rockets would be the Rockets' own 2015 pick, which I presume would be in the 20s somewhere. I'm not even asking for the New Orleans' pick. The protections are a bit weird, might not see it til 2019 or something. No way the Pelicans are at any point going to be a bottom 3 team with Anthony Davis and a middling supporting cast.

As for the trade coming off after two weeks - it would actually have to be later, as it includes Stuckey, who can't be traded until December 14th. But so what? A trade done a month into the season is similar to a trade done before, just without as much time to gel. With good veterans like West and Hill and Stuckey, I don't think it'll be too hard to integrate these guys starting in December. They will fit right in. This will save the Rockets' season. A lot of people are saying "hey... these Rockets might not be good enough." People are picking them to miss the playoffs. Who cares if you have to wait a month into the season, this is a game changer. This is the making of your team for the next two years. This is the Morey move that puts the Rockets right in the thick of things.

We need to cut someone? Well, ok, we'd cut someone. Not a huge deal, guys get cut due to deals all the time. Main point is Pacers would be moving two large salaries in one go, and ending up with a much slimmer payroll. They still have Hibbert & George combining for what, 32 million, but then everyone else (Miles, Jones, Rudez, the 2015 rookies) are all on extremely reasonable deals. You get one key free agent (make the play at Rondo, or Dragic, or Reggie Jackson, or Jeremy Lin, or whoever) and suddenly you're rolling out a decent FA point guard, the 6th pick in the draft, PG, Jones, & Hibbert, with a nice collection of mid-price young bench players. Why not?

With regards to Stuckey - this is the piece that makes it even more palatable for the Rockets. It's exactly because he's a minimum contract veteran that he adds some value from the Pacers' side. He'd get good backup minutes in Houston. Doesn't anyone else think Stuckey on the league minimum is a steal? But with the Pacers, it's not like he'd be sticking around anyway. This makes it easier for the Rockets to give up what they give up, because all 3 pieces coming back are major rotation pieces. Only one piece they send to the Pacers is really a legitimate rotation piece this year, and that's Terrence Jones.

I really believe that this trade, as constructed, followed by maybe one other decent move on the bench, puts the Rockets in genuine contention for the next two years. Hill/Harden/Ariza/West/Howard is a tough-as-nails lineup. Beverly, Stuckey, Moteijunas is a good bench. Harden will play small-ball minutes at SF, his practice in the FIBA will be helpful. With the cap going up, in 2016 they can still go after a big free agent after West expires.

Otherwise, you're sitting with Harden, Howard, Ariza... Jones... Beverley... Motiejunas. That's a 6-man lineup, and after that things get iffy. You really plan to have Canaan Daniels, and Papanikolau playing 18 mpg each on a contender? Really? This deal gives you an 8 man lineup of solid vets who can all play starters minutes when necessary ( I have big faith in Donatas, too ).

This makes Ariza your 4th best guy instead of your 3rd best guy, because West is now your 3rd best guy. This makes Beverley your 6th best guy instead of your 4th/5th best guy because Hill brings a perfect complement to Harden. It's multiple upgrades across the team. Yes, they still need a final frontcourt piece, but you can say the same about the team right now, can't you?

Houston has a window here, and I really think if they don't make a move, this season is a bust. They won't be a top 4 seed, they'll get bounced in the 1st round, and suddenly the whole Harden/Howard thing comes down to whether Morey can maneuver this summer perfectly correctly.

Do this deal, however, and I think this is a top 4 seed - I'd put them above Golden State, above Portland, above Dallas. I think this team can knock off the Clippers in the 2nd round. I think this team has real contender status. At least a chance.

When you have a combo like Harden & Howard, you gotta put win-now solid veteran players around them who can be good complements. Ariza is one. West would be a huge one. Hill is an absolute perfect 5th guy for this team.

Don't waste it trying to make the Terrence Jones thing work. Let the Pacers do that next year and the following.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#27 » by jowglenn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Frank Lee wrote:you guys should call phoenix. there is a deal out there in the desert waiting for somebody

as HoraceG said , 'go west young man, go West'

Huh? Who are the Pacers trading to Phoenix? Hibbert? West? Certainly not Hill, since Phoenix has 8 million point guards.

At the deadline... Isaiah Thomas and Alex Len for Hibbert? Bledsoe for Hibbert? I don't get it.

Return to Trades and Transactions