BOS/DET

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

BOS/DET 

Post#1 » by username_taken » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Boston sends: SF Jeff Green, C Vitor Faverani, PF Erik Murphy, 2015 WAS 2nd rounder (is top 49 protected), 2016 CLE 2nd rounder, 2016 MIA 2nd rounder

Detroit sends: PF Jonas Jerebko, PG Will Bynum, SF Kyle Singler, 2015 first rounder, lottery protected, if not conveyed, 2015 2nd rounder is sent

Why Detroit does it: Jeff Green is a player they've been rumored to like for a while. He could be used for them more now than ever, as one guy expected to score a bit for them just went down in Jodie Meeks, and we all know Green can score. Plus their only true SFs (aka, not Josh Smith) on their roster are the aging Caron Butler, Kyle Singler, and Luigi Datome. Adding Green would make them a likely playoff team in the weak Eastern Conference. They don't really give up any players of value and can try to win now. Vitor can contribute a bit when healthy, but the Celtics seem to have given up on him and likely wouldn't want to eat his guaranteed salary. Murphy is a stretch big that is likely to be cut and has a 100k guarantee, and is in mostly to avoid dead money for the Celtics and to match roster space.

Why Boston does it: Adds yet another pick next year, cuts a bit of salary now, and since they only get back expiring deals, they have plenty of cap room for next offseason's big FA class, and can try to attract a second star to play with Rondo, and the extra cap gives room to give Rondo a pay raise as well. They also get a decent sized TPE out of this.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,147

Re: BOS/DET 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Detroit passes. You aren't taking back Jennings or J. Smooth so there's no long term salary relief. They have to build through the draft to get better and you are taking what will likely be a good pick. I don't see Green as worth more than a lottery protected first.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Detroit shouldn't have to give up a good first for Green. Maybe if that pick was in the very late 20s.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, Green isn't worth a first that will be anything better than quite late.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,094

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 pm

What if Boston tosses in the Clips pick? And the protection on the Detroit pick stays at lotto protected.
username_taken
Veteran

Post#6 » by username_taken » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What if Boston tosses in the Clips pick? And the protection on the Detroit pick stays at lotto protected.

That sounds fair to me.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#7 » by Jaseface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Detroit passes. You aren't taking back Jennings or J. Smooth so there's no long term salary relief.

This. If they are taking a heavy contract back, they should be unloading either Smith or Jennings. I like Green and think he'd be a good fit with the Pistons, but not this particular deal.
username_taken
Veteran

Post#8 » by username_taken » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Jaseface wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Detroit passes. You aren't taking back Jennings or J. Smooth so there's no long term salary relief.

This. If they are taking a heavy contract back, they should be unloading either Smith or Jennings. I like Green and think he'd be a good fit with the Pistons, but not this particular deal.

I wouldn't call Green a heavy contract...he is owed 9.2 mil this year with a player option for the same amount next year. Not really all that crippling.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#9 » by Jaseface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 pm

username_taken wrote:
Jaseface wrote:

I wouldn't call Green a heavy contract...he is owed 9.2 mil this year with a player option for the same amount next year. Not really all that crippling.

Isn't he getting $9,445,000 this year, and next if he picks up that option?

I wouldn't say his contract is "crippling," but would you not agree that he has a large contract that his play does not warrant? Would you not agree that he is overpaid?
username_taken
Veteran

Post#10 » by username_taken » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Jaseface wrote:
username_taken wrote:
Jaseface wrote:

I wouldn't say his contract is "crippling," but would you not agree that he has a large contract that his play does not warrant? Would you not agree that he is overpaid?

I'd say he's a bit overpaid, but he'd look better as a 3rd option on DET rather than being the focus of defenses on BOS. His contract may look a bit better when the cap rises. What would you consider fair to get this deal done?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,094

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Jaseface wrote:
username_taken wrote:
Jaseface wrote:

He is objectively overpaid, but I don't think it's bad enough that Jennings or Smoove has to go out because he's going in.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#12 » by sfballa13 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 am

Take out the lottery pick from Detroit or throw in Olynyk if you want a 1st rounder from SVG after he just lost his first one due to Dumars stupidty
username_taken
Veteran

BOS/DET 

Post#13 » by username_taken » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:00 am

sfballa13 wrote:Take out the lottery pick from Detroit or throw in Olynyk if you want a 1st rounder from SVG after he just lost his first one due to Dumars stupidty

No point for the Celtics to do this trade without picks. Detroit is getting the better player and Boston is only getting back expiring scraps. And it's not a lottery pick, it will only be conveyed if it isn't in the lottery.

Return to Trades and Transactions