Nene to Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Nene to Portland 

Post#1 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:43 am

The East is so bad this year that Western teams effectively only need to worry about winning three series in order to win a title. With OKC potentially out of the picture and the Clippers reeling, Portland has its best shot to win a ring in 25 years. To that end:

Portland trades: CJ McCollum, '15 first rounder, Thomas Robinson (cut), Dorrell Wright (cut)
Washington trades: Nene

Why for Portland:
They give up their 9th man and a very late first rounder for a battle tested, versatile, team oriented big. Nene can play with any of Portland's other bigs. You can run your second unit offense through him because of his superior passing; he can guard the other team's best frontcourt player (Griffin, Duncan, AD, ZBo/Gasol, Dwight) as he is strong as an ox and exceptionally agile. He's a championship level third big -- and Portland has a very real chance to win a title this year.

While he very expensive, his contract inly runs one more year after this one, and having him on the books won't impinge upon keeping Aldridge or extending any other core pieces.

Why for Washington:
Nene may be a championship level bench big, but the Wizards -- even if by some miracle come out of the East this year -- aren't winning a title or close. Humphries, Pierce, Gooden and Blair provide enough depth that the loss of Nene will not torpedo the Wizards season. They'll still make the playoffs and can make as good a run as Wall/Beal/Gortat carry them to.

In McCollum they add a potential foundational piece -- a third guard that can play with either Wall or Beal -- for cheap, and stock the cupboard with a pick. They also create a bunch of cap space this summer that can be put to good use (without disrupting their plans to woo you know who next summer).

Flame away!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
James72
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Re: Nene to Portland 

Post#2 » by James72 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:59 am

Why would POR do that for a guy who would only get about 12mpg and a contract of $13mil?
fishercob
RealGM

Post#3 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:06 am

James72 wrote:Why would POR do that for a guy who would only get about 12mpg and a contract of $13mil?

Because he's an upgrade over Kaman/Freeland. He;d play more like 25 mpg.
— Steve Martin
ReKon
Senior
And1: 430

Post#4 » by ReKon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 am

I don t know why but i get the feeling that you re severely underrating the Wizards.To me they seem like they can really make it to the ECF without a miracle

Now if i were the Wiz i wouldn t say no to Mccolum.They could use a scoring guard off the bench when Beal gets moved back to the starting lineup.But i want to see how they do when they bring Webster back.Still i wouldn t give Nene for all that.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#5 » by cucad8 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 am

He's far too expensive for the small upgrade he might bring to the bench over Kaman for Portland. And I'm unsure how much of an upgrade he is. But certainly not enough of one to pay them both, pay Nene 13 million this year AND next year, and move CJ and a 1st. Makes no sense for Portland.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:04 am

Absolutely insane for Portland to take on that much salary for a 9th man off the bench when they need to resign Aldridge, Lopez and Matthews this summer.

Easy pass for the Blazers. Wouldn't do this even if the Blazers could keep their 1st round pick.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:34 am

fishercob wrote:
James72 wrote:Why would POR do that for a guy who would only get about 12mpg and a contract of $13mil?

With all due respect, the numbers don't back this up at all. Nene is averaging 10.6pts, 4.6rebs and 0.5blks in 27 minutes and has a PER of 12. Kaman alone is averaging 11.1pts, 6.7rebs and 1.2blks in under 18 minutes and has a PER of 21.09. By no metric is Nene having a better season than Kaman. So how exactly is he an upgrade worthy of paying 7mil more than what Kaman gets?

The demise of Chris Kaman's career has been greatly exaggerated.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
James72
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by James72 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am

fishercob wrote:

Not at all better than Kaman. Freeland, yeah...but a rookie contract versus $13mil for 10-12mpg... no way
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#9 » by SalemStoner » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 am

This is horrific for Portland.

It costs them too much money on a summer when they need to pay 3 of their starters. It overcrowds our frontcourt on the bench while weakening our perimeter play off the bench. It likely screws up Kaman's 6th man campaign.

It also costs us all of our expendable assets to solve a problem that doesn't really exist anymore... Portland needs to upgrade it's backup SF/Stretch4 slot, as Dorrell Wright, and Victor Claver aren't good enough, and Will Barton/CJ McCollum are both guards(though Barton can play small minutes at SF). This trade makes our current backup SF problem worse by removing the best of our inferior options for that role without replacing him with anything at all.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#10 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Also has anyone stated why wizards dont just give away nene in the middle of a wide open east

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,831

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 pm

DusterBuster wrote:With all due respect, the numbers don't back this up at all. Nene is averaging 10.6pts, 4.6rebs and 0.5blks in 27 minutes and has a PER of 12. Kaman alone is averaging 11.1pts, 6.7rebs and 1.2blks in under 18 minutes and has a PER of 21.09. By no metric is Nene having a better season than Kaman. So how exactly is he an upgrade worthy of paying 7mil more than what Kaman gets?

The counter to this of course would be that Nene is the far superior defender. And while Nene has never had great individual rebounding numbers, he is considered perhaps the best team rebounder in the game. His teams always rate highly in rebounding because he is probably the best box out guy in the league.

That said, I agree he's not a fit in Portland because of his contract, and because Kaman is playing well enough. And the team is already a great rebounding team and they have been much better defensively to start the year. If this was last year's team Nene makes more sense--tho again with that contract it would never work.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#12 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:56 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
fishercob wrote:

With all due respect, the numbers don't back this up at all. Nene is averaging 10.6pts, 4.6rebs and 0.5blks in 27 minutes and has a PER of 12. Kaman alone is averaging 11.1pts, 6.7rebs and 1.2blks in under 18 minutes and has a PER of 21.09. By no metric is Nene having a better season than Kaman. So how exactly is he an upgrade worthy of paying 7mil more than what Kaman gets?

Which do you trust more -- a 300 minute sample or an 11 year sample?

Who would you rather have defending ZBo in the WCF?
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#13 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:With all due respect, the numbers don't back this up at all. Nene is averaging 10.6pts, 4.6rebs and 0.5blks in 27 minutes and has a PER of 12. Kaman alone is averaging 11.1pts, 6.7rebs and 1.2blks in under 18 minutes and has a PER of 21.09. By no metric is Nene having a better season than Kaman. So how exactly is he an upgrade worthy of paying 7mil more than what Kaman gets?

The counter to this of course would be that Nene is the far superior defender. And while Nene has never had great individual rebounding numbers, he is considered perhaps the best team rebounder in the game. His teams always rate highly in rebounding because he is probably the best box out guy in the league.

That said, I agree he's not a fit in Portland because of his contract, and because Kaman is playing well enough. And the team is already a great rebounding team and they have been much better defensively to start the year. If this was last year's team Nene makes more sense--tho again with that contract it would never work.

This is a sensible response. Bravo.
— Steve Martin
James72
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by James72 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:04 pm

fishercob wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
fishercob wrote:

Which do you trust more -- a 300 minute sample or an 11 year sample?

Who would you rather have defending ZBo in the WCF?

First of all, You can't say definitively that Nene has had a better career than Kaman.

Heck if you are going that far back, Kaman was an all star once... Hey, lets call up Shaq, he had some good years a while ago. <<<< see why that 300min sample over career comment is atrocious?

I would absolutely take 300min sample over something he did 4-5 years ago. especially for $13mil. And even if you did, Kaman still had better Per 40min stats than nene... for about $9mil less lol

also, a 11 year, injury riddled career. He misses about 30% of games during his career.

Yet, you are till negating the fact...$13 M-I-L-L-I-O-N for a watered down bench roll.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:

This is... the correct answer.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Also has anyone stated why wizards dont just give away nene in the middle of a wide open east

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app

They think Seraphin gets to play the Cavs every game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#17 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Portland is one of the worst fits for Nene, however even if you took offers from all teams you would not get a package of expirings, young players and a pick.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#18 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:21 pm

fishercob wrote:Who would you rather have defending ZBo in the WCF?

LaMarcus Aldridge!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Trades and Transactions