Dion Waiters for Brandan Wright

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Re: Dion Waiters for Brandan Wright 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 pm

marcush wrote:Looks like a good deal for cavs. Tough work for Celts fans watching waiters and smart though.

It's not a good deal for the Cavs, but Waiters playing next to Smart would be really, really good for the Celtics. The only time Waiters played next to a pass first PG, he posted all-star numbers. People who don't watch the Cavs every night really don't understand how much of the Waiters' issues aren't really with Waiters.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#22 » by King Ken » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:02 pm

The Cavs need a rim protector with size to play next to Love.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:12 pm

King Ken wrote:The Cavs need a rim protector with size to play next to Love.

But Wright isn't that. Trading for a body to fill a need is a bad idea. Right is fine back up center. But he's not the defensive presence the Cavs are looking for. I'd rather trade Memphis their pick back for Koufus so they can flip it with Prince to upgrade the SF position.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#24 » by King Ken » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

But Wright isn't that. Trading for a body to fill a need is a bad idea. Right is fine back up center. But he's not the defensive presence the Cavs are looking for. I'd rather trade Memphis their pick back for Koufus so they can flip it with Prince to upgrade the SF position.

Never said he was. I simply stated that is what Cleveland needs.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#25 » by Lindecision » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Who-rod wrote:
Lindecision wrote:
Who-rod wrote:
I don't think the Celtics have to tank. They're not Philadelphia, they've taken steps to arrange for a team to tank for them. The Nets, from 16-18, are poised to be terrible, and the C's have access to their picks for that entire stretch, unprotected. The Celtics can build a viable team, win 40 games, and let the Nets suck. Not every team has to bottom out, and I'd argue the C's are no more likely to lose post Rondo trade, then they were pre Rondo trade.

Boston won't get anywhere without tanking. Make no mistake. That's not how the NBA works and Ainge knows it. Once they didn't get Love in the off-season there was only one way they were going to go. The last thing Ainge wants is for Boston to continue riding the treadmill of mediocrity. Its exactly why he made this trade, TO TANK!! We can expect Jeff Green to follow very soon. You can't rely on Brooklyn to give you a top 5 pick either. They're not going to bad willingly. All they need to do is sign a free agent or two and they'll be in the playoffs.

But we've kind of veered off topic. The point is Wright will hurt Boston's tank, and as a free agent he'll just leave for a winning team anyway. They're clearly better off moving Wright, who would really help Cleveland right now. Thornton and Turner are not long-term so they need a SG to build around aside from just Bradley. Waiters can be that guy to pair with Smart.

They traded Rondo, but not with tanking as the "priority". The past three seasons, the Celtic's winning percentage is almost .100 better without Rondo. They traded Rondo to get assets for a guy they didn't think they could resign at a figure that made sense for a rebuilding team. They traded Rondo because they've been significantly better with Smart on the court than Rondo. They traded Rondo to clear minutes for their number one draft investment. They traded Rondo to help them enter the off season with some cap flexibility. They traded Rondo because they received another first round pick, and a young, long big, that is 9th in the league in blocked shot rate, 16th in the league in defensive FG% at the rim, and 6th in the league in PER. They gave up a PG whose replacement they already have. They got a player that does all of the things that they don't have, and need desperately.

If Wright fits the next two months and performs equally well in an extended role, you don't trade him, you re-sign him.

Make no mistake, they traded Rondo with tanking as the priority. This was clearly the path they were going to take once Kevin Love was off the table. Brandan Wright isn't going to re-sign with a lottery team either, unless you drastically overpay him.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Lindecision
Banned User

Post#26 » by Lindecision » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
marcush wrote:Looks like a good deal for cavs. Tough work for Celts fans watching waiters and smart though.

It's not a good deal for the Cavs, but Waiters playing next to Smart would be really, really good for the Celtics. The only time Waiters played next to a pass first PG, he posted all-star numbers. People who don't watch the Cavs every night really don't understand how much of the Waiters' issues aren't really with Waiters.

It is a good idea. We've seen enough to suggest that Waiters isn't going to be able to get better on this team. He needs playing time and the need to be featured in order to get better, with a pass first PG like you suggested. Waiters' value won't tank but its only going downhill from here.

jbk1234 wrote:

Except Memphis have no reason to trade Koufos. None. They're 21-5. So what if Koufos wants more minutes? So what if this is the correct "value" move Memphis might lose him for nothing? There is more "value" in having a shot at the championship. As a Western conference rival? Are you kidding me? Trade Koufos for Waiters all day long!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Lindecision wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It is a good idea. We've seen enough to suggest that Waiters isn't going to be able to get better on this team. He needs playing time and the need to be featured in order to get better, with a pass first PG like you suggested. Waiters' value won't tank but its only going downhill from here.

jbk1234 wrote:

Except Memphis have no reason to trade Koufos. None. They're 21-5. So what if Koufos wants more minutes? So what if this is the correct "value" move Memphis might lose him for nothing? There is more "value" in having a shot at the championship. As a Western conference rival? Are you kidding me? Trade Koufos for Waiters all day long!

Waiters for Bradley is a good idea for the Cavs because they wouldn't be creating a bigger hole at the 2 while failing to obtain a defensive center. Wright just isn't a good enough defender to justify the Cavs trading for him. Re: Memphis perhaps you should read the blocks you quoting because I did not propose trading Waiters for Koufus.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Lindecision
Banned User

Post#28 » by Lindecision » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Lindecision wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

jbk1234 wrote:

Waiters for Bradley is a good idea for the Cavs because they wouldn't be creating a bigger hole at the 2 while failing to obtain a defensive center. Wright just isn't a good enough defender to justify the Cavs trading for him. Re: Memphis perhaps you should read the blocks you quoting because I did not propose trading Waiters for Koufus.

But you did propose trading the Memphis pick for Koufos, as an alternative to the Wright trade. Sorry but that's not an option. Memphis has no reason to do that. You also seem to have an inflated sense of Waiters' value, which is natural most fans fall into that trap, but the trade-off is justified given the total package Wright brings offensively as well as defensively. Waiters for Bradley is a very good idea though.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Memphis does it so they can turn Prince into J. Green. If they get their pick back, they can trade any future first they want.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#30 » by 165bows » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:02 pm

No thanks. Rather hang on to Wright, use him in a different deal, or utilize sign and trade in the summer.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#31 » by ballup » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:40 pm

I'd say yes if Waiters didn't have such a terrible attitude and if the Celts could send back Turner.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#32 » by turk3d » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 pm

To me it only makes sense if Cleveland just wants to dump Waiters (which I think would be dumb, if they did, just trade him for a #1 mid-to-high pick with someone, I think they'd get a few takers). But Brandan Wright makes no sense for them. They already have Thompson and Varejao @ the Center spot, and Love and Marion @ PF and really Wright is more of a 4 than he is a 5 anyway.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Lindecision
Banned User

Post#33 » by Lindecision » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Memphis does it so they can turn Prince into J. Green. If they get their pick back, they can trade any future first they want.

Goes back to the same point. Why would Memphis do that? Why would they remove their backup C and change their starting lineup? Why would they change anything when they're 21-5?

ballup wrote:I'd say yes if Waiters didn't have such a terrible attitude and if the Celts could send back Turner.

Eh. With Rondo gone Boston will need ball handlers. Turner' ok he's useful in that way in the short-term.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#34 » by tidho » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm

ballup wrote:I'd say yes if Waiters didn't have such a terrible attitude and if the Celts could send back Turner.

Waiters really needs better PR people. He really hasn't been a problem.

Return to Trades and Transactions