Separate trades Cavs/Boston/Memphis

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Separate trades Cavs/Boston/Memphis 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:41 pm

First trade:

Cleveland out: Memphis 1st and TPE
Cleveland in: Koufus

Memphis out: Koufus
Memphis in: Memphis 1st and TPE.

Second trade:

Memphis out: Prince (expiring) and future 1st (2016 or 2017 with light protections)
Memphis in: J. Green

Boston out: J. Green
Boston in: Prince (expiring) and future 1st

Third trade:

Cavs out: Waiters & filler
Cavs in: Bradley

Celtics out: Bradley
Celtics in: Waiters and filler

Why for the Celtics? They get an expiring contract and future 1st for J. Green. They get a young shooting guard with big upside potential who will finally get to play next to a pass-first PG. (They also aren't thrilled with Bradley since he signed his contract)

Why for the Cavs? They get the interior defensive presence they have been looking for and defensive perimeter player they have been looking for.

Why for Memphis? They upgrade the SF position and make the starting unit more difficult to defend.

I think this is win, win, win. Who says no?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Re: Separate trades Cavs/Boston/Memphis 

Post#2 » by Drax » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Who is Boston's pass first point guard? I thought he's in Dallas now.

I'm not sure Boston is looking trade away any of their current young pieces. And Avery Bradley for all his flaws is still a young player with some upside who might be in the future plans. No Celtics fan actually knows what's going to happen over next two months or for that matter next offseason, because we have to first understand our players. We have so much new players in place that's actually hard to predict who is in for the long run.

If you are looking for some of the role players we have sure go ahead and make a proposal. But every player under 25 is at this moment here for the long run because we have to evaluate how those young guys fit together.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Drax wrote:Who is Boston's pass first point guard? I thought he's in Dallas now.

I'm not sure Boston is looking trade away any of their current young pieces. And Avery Bradley for all his flaws is still a young player with some upside who might be in the future plans. No Celtics fan actually knows what's going to happen over next two months or for that matter next offseason, because we have to first understand our players. We have so much new players in place that's actually hard to predict who is in for the long run.

If you are looking for some of the role players we have sure go ahead and make a proposal. But every player under 25 is at this moment here for the long run because we have to evaluate how those young guys fit together.

Dion's 23 and has another year and half before he's a RFA. Just saying.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Drax
Analyst

Post#4 » by Drax » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Dion's 23 and has another year and half before he's a RFA. Just saying.

I actually think Dion is someone who could work pretty well with Smart, but so could Bradley. That's all i'm trying to say, not a knock on Dion. Boston is in evaluation mode before additional moves are made.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:08 pm

Drax wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Dion's 23 and has another year and half before he's a RFA. Just saying.

I actually think Dion is someone who could work pretty well with Smart, but so could Bradley. That's all i'm trying to say, not a knock on Dion. Boston is in evaluation mode before additional moves are made.

Call us at the deadline if you change your mind. Just hope that Blatt hasn't come to his senses by then and actually started employing minute restrictions with the Big Three.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Drax
Analyst

Post#6 » by Drax » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Call us at the deadline if you change your mind. Just hope that Blatt hasn't come to his senses by then and actually started employing minute restrictions with the Big Three.

Sounds fair, i think you have a harder time convincing the Grizzlies giving up Koufus.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Drax wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Call us at the deadline if you change your mind. Just hope that Blatt hasn't come to his senses by then and actually started employing minute restrictions with the Big Three.

Sounds fair, i think you have a harder time convincing the Grizzlies giving up Koufus.

After they've offered Prince and Adams to every team in the league for an upgrade at the SF and get no takers, they'll come around. They aren't re-signing Koufus and Gasol. It's not hard to see which one of them they are going to let go.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#8 » by bs_and_cs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 pm

I'd rather just keep Jeff Green then trade him for another late first. He is worth more than that, if he doesn't bring more than that back, I have no problem keeping him.

Not going to find someone much better to replace him, and I know for a fact that we aren't trying to becoming the Clippers.

I think that deal with Cleveland for Bradley/Waiters makes perfect sense for both clubs.

Gives Cleveland a guy who can hit 3s, but can also lock down the opposing teams guard. Perfect compliment to Kyrie off the bench.

And I know Waiters has been brutal this year, but a scoring guard like that is exactly what Boston needs at SG.
Willarmm
Senior
And1: 235

Post#9 » by Willarmm » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Overall actually really like this value. Cleveland fills roles, Boston gets some young talent and picks(lord knows they have been hoarding picks) and Memphis gets that SF guy that they have always needed. Koufos is gonna leave and Bradley is a bit overpaid(no offense celtics fans but it's kinda true), yet they fit well in Cleveland. Waiters would do well with smart and would be able to be a more focal point and thrive, while also getting a first rounder and expiring(drive the tank for Okafor and that team is gonna be really good). Memphis gets a guy who can play D and put up big points while being a size mismatch for most SFs and PFs. And they can clear prince's contract for a better player.

Overall jbk1234, very solid.
Dimitraa
Banned User
And1: 115

Post#10 » by Dimitraa » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:54 pm

I don't see any motive for Memphis to help out Cleveland.Rather lose Koufos for nothing than help another contender and get back a low second that is worthless.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:55 pm

bs_and_cs wrote:I'd rather just keep Jeff Green then trade him for another late first. He is worth more than that, if he doesn't bring more than that back, I have no problem keeping him.

Not going to find someone much better to replace him, and I know for a fact that we aren't trying to becoming the Clippers.

I think that deal with Cleveland for Bradley/Waiters makes perfect sense for both clubs.

Gives Cleveland a guy who can hit 3s, but can also lock down the opposing teams guard. Perfect compliment to Kyrie off the bench.

And I know Waiters has been brutal this year, but a scoring guard like that is exactly what Boston needs at SG.

He had a brutal November. He's shot 46% in December. That's not the problem. The problem is the Big Three doesn't have any minutes restrictions and there have been games where the entire bench only had 10 FGA. I have no idea why the Cavs would hold onto Waiters under these circumstances. I'm really high on the kid and this is a bad situation for him. The Cavs have glaring needs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Dimitraa wrote:I don't see any motive for Memphis to help out Cleveland.Rather lose Koufos for nothing than help another contender and get back a low second that is worthless.

First off, it's not a low second. It's the Memphis 1st round pick with reverse protections. Those protections mean nothing to them. Getting it back allows them to trade any type of 1st they want and upgrade the SF position right now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Dimitraa
Banned User
And1: 115

Post#13 » by Dimitraa » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Dimitraa wrote:I don't see any motive for Memphis to help out Cleveland.Rather lose Koufos for nothing than help another contender and get back a low second that is worthless.

First off, it's not a low second. It's the Memphis 1st round pick with reverse protections. Those protections mean nothing to them. Getting it back allows them to trade any type of 1st they want and upgrade the SF position right now.

You wrote in the first post Memphis 2nd . In that case if they get their first back I can see Memphis going for it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Dimitraa wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

You wrote in the first post Memphis 2nd . In that case if they get their first back I can see Memphis going for it.

Thanks. Fixed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:17 pm

bs_and_cs wrote:I'd rather just keep Jeff Green then trade him for another late first. He is worth more than that, if he doesn't bring more than that back, I have no problem keeping him.

But you could negotiate the protections on that pick so that it wouldn't be a late first. Something like a 2017 pick protected 20-32 and 1-5. If it falls in between 6-19, it gets conveyed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#16 » by ferk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:36 pm

mem says no unless they have a C lined up & ready to sign . haywood would be perfect if he didn't have that crazy contract . i also don't think the griz are gonna trade koufus just cause he can walk for nothing .
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#17 » by Smitty731 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:50 pm

From the Boston side, the Green deal is fine. I'd like more, but it seems like that is probably what Boston could get. At some point, the Celtics have got to get young talent, as opposed to more picks. The number of picks they have is starting to get to a point where they have to consolidate. The team is full of young players already. You can't keep adding more and more of them. Eventually, you gotta cash some of that in for proven talent.

I'd pass on the deal for Waiters though. Bradley and Smart are defensive terrors when they have played together. And Bradley has improved his offensive game a lot. He's still not the offensive player Waiters is, but the difference defensively more than makes up for it. And Waiters eventually will want more than what Bradley got. I'd rather just stick with Bradley.
ferk
Starter

Post#18 » by ferk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 pm

i think mem holds out for more than this really ( or a better fit anyways ). if they get it great if not they are still contending . adding bradley just seem like trying to make the trade bigger when it really shouldnt be .
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:14 pm

ferk wrote:i think mem holds out for more than this really ( or a better fit anyways ). if they get it great if not they are still contending . adding bradley just seem like trying to make the trade bigger when it really shouldnt be .

Memphis would be getting J. Green and unloading Prince for Koufus essentially.

Bradley/Waiters is a separate trade that has nothing to do with Memphis.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ferk
Starter

Post#20 » by ferk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:18 pm

yes and it leaves them without a backup C . like i said if they have a C lined up and ready to go its much better but they don't so they would need one in return . .

Return to Trades and Transactions