Sign and trade options for Kevin Love this summer

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: Sign and trade options for Kevin Love this summer 

Post#41 » by Dupp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

sportscrazy wrote:The Lakers would be his likely destination and they have the cap space to sign him outright. Does Jordan Hill, Nick Young, Ryan Kelly and Julius Randle for a MAXed out Kevin Love give the Lakers enough remaining cap space for a Rajon Rondo/Omer Asik-type?

No they would be one of the least likely, why would he want to go back to losing? They don't have any decent assets to work with that'd appeal to him.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#42 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:04 am

Dupp wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:The Lakers would be his likely destination and they have the cap space to sign him outright. Does Jordan Hill, Nick Young, Ryan Kelly and Julius Randle for a MAXed out Kevin Love give the Lakers enough remaining cap space for a Rajon Rondo/Omer Asik-type?

No they would be one of the least likely, why would he want to go back to losing? They don't have any decent assets to work with that'd appeal to him.

If he wants to be the third banana on a winning team, then i guess he'll stay in Cleveland. But if he wants to be the #1 or #2 option in a major market, i think Lakers is a possibility. Of course, they're not going to be all that good next season, but if he's looking at the big picture i think the Lakers are just as good of a destination as any other of the bigger markets. They'll have a likely top 5 pick, they have a couple of nice young players and they have money both this summer and next summer to spend on just about anyone.

Hell, the Lakers could even try to make a move with the pieces they have - like package up Randle, the top 5, Clarkson and the Houston pick and get back someone to put next to Love. I mean, if the Lakers offered that to the Kings for Demarcus - i.e. Randle, Clarkson, Houston pick and ...Towns or Okafor - they would have to think about if for a second -wouldn't they?

They could also just go with the pieces they have and then make a run at Durant next summer and/or Westbrook the year after.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,732

Post#43 » by DowJones » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:08 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
Dupp wrote:

If he wants to be the third banana on a winning team, then i guess he'll stay in Cleveland. But if he wants to be the #1 or #2 option in a major market, i think Lakers is a possibility. Of course, they're not going to be all that good next season, but if he's looking at the big picture i think the Lakers are just as good of a destination as any other of the bigger markets. They'll have a likely top 5 pick, they have a couple of nice young players and they have money both this summer and next summer to spend on just about anyone.

Hell, the Lakers could even try to make a move with the pieces they have - like package up Randle, the top 5, Clarkson and the Houston pick and get back someone to put next to Love. I mean, if the Lakers offered that to the Kings for Demarcus - i.e. Randle, Clarkson, Houston pick and ...Towns or Okafor - they would have to think about if for a second -wouldn't they?

They could also just go with the pieces they have and then make a run at Durant next summer and/or Westbrook the year after.

But then Love is right back to being the 2nd/3rd option and only this time he is on a team that isn't nearly as good.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#44 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Dupp wrote:

Doesn't his girlfriend live in LA? Plus I can see the Lakers as a preferred destination for other free agents, e.g. Rondo.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
MNRunLeft
Starter
And1: 362

Post#45 » by MNRunLeft » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 pm

While I think a lot of the Love to LA talk makes some sense is Love, Rondo, Kobe a playoff team in the West next year? Best case I can't see that core being more than the 7th or 8th seed.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#46 » by R-DAWG » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:30 pm

giberish wrote:
azwfan wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:What is Cleveland's plan if they lose Love for nothing?

Haywood and something for Lee!

I'm sure Haywood's their backup plan. If they keep all their current players their luxury tax bill will be very high - so using Haywood to add another $10-$15M in salary and $30-$40M in luxury tax bills is very unlikely. But if someone leaves (Love, or an RFA getting paid more than they want to match), then they use Haywood.

I doubt luxury tax is a concern with Dan Gilbert. The guys is beyond loaded and let's be honest, the end of Lebron's prime is getting closer every day. Nothing will stand in the way of the Cavs putting the best possible talent on the court.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#47 » by giberish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:23 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
giberish wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Haywood and something for Lee!

I'm sure Haywood's their backup plan. If they keep all their current players their luxury tax bill will be very high - so using Haywood to add another $10-$15M in salary and $30-$40M in luxury tax bills is very unlikely. But if someone leaves (Love, or an RFA getting paid more than they want to match), then they use Haywood.

I doubt luxury tax is a concern with Dan Gilbert. The guys is beyond loaded and let's be honest, the end of Lebron's prime is getting closer every day. Nothing will stand in the way of the Cavs putting the best possible talent on the court.

They're already in line to pay about twice the luxury tax bill they were paying in LeBron's previous stint. And if everyone stays, there aren't major rotation holes to fill. Adding $50M in salary + luxury tax to upgrade your 10th man?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#48 » by Warriorfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 pm

giberish wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
giberish wrote:

They're already in line to pay about twice the luxury tax bill they were paying in LeBron's previous stint. And if everyone stays, there aren't major rotation holes to fill. Adding $50M in salary + luxury tax to upgrade your 10th man?

LeBron who adds about 250 and going upwards in value to the Cavs is the De Facto GM.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#49 » by Dupp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Doesn't his girlfriend live in LA? Plus I can see the Lakers as a preferred destination for other free agents, e.g. Rondo.

Rondo, Kobe and love, worse than his minny teams.
Dudes got his whole life to live in LA he wants to start winning basketball.
TRNBA12
Junior
And1: 176

Post#50 » by TRNBA12 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Fantasy trade: Kevin Love and Danny Green double S&T. Cleveland gets a better fit in a great 3 and D player. Spurs get a star to eventually replace TD and Manu
Dupp
RealGM

Post#51 » by Dupp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Also Loves impact for us is underrated. He's very important and we'd be much much worse without him. He's battled injuries all year but when he's fit he's the second best player on our team.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#52 » by NashtyNas » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Drax wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:No team with cap space will give up assets to get him.
If he wants to go there, he could just sign there. A S&T does not benefit Love, nor does it benefit the team acquiring him. Only one left to gain is CLE, and no one is helping CLE without getting something in return.

Are you sure about that? I think his new team would love to have a fifth year on his new deal with the lower salary cap. Gives them more time and room to get help in the future. The question is what asset are we talking about. Multiple firsts, no way. A late first, maybe. A young player with limited upside left, maybe.

Yes, I'm sure. The team acquiring him gets no advantage from a S&T. There is no possibility of a 5th year, that is no longer available under the new CBA. There is no reason to give up assets if you have the cap space to sign him and he wants to be here. If he doesn't, there is DEFINITELY not point giving up assets to acquire him. It's really that simple.

The only teams that will give up assets for Love are those that he wants to go to, but that don't have the cap space.
Boston, LA, NY all have cap space. They won't give up assets for him when they can sign him outright. Also, he's more likely to want a LeBron like 1+1 deal to get the max in the new cap rather than the old cap. CLE can't really help anyone acquire him while getting assets for themselves. If he wants to leave, CLE isn't getting much (if anything AT ALL).

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#53 » by NashtyNas » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Dupp wrote:Also Loves impact for us is underrated. He's very important and we'd be much much worse without him. He's battled injuries all year but when he's fit he's the second best player on our team.

Although this is completely unrelated to the thread, is that impact worth giving up what you gave up for him?
In my opinion, it's nowhere close. You could have had Frye, Andersen or other stretch 4's for WAY cheaper than what you gave up for Love. He isn't being used in the role that suits him (top 2 option) which is why giving up what the Cavs gave up was a mistake.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Dupp
RealGM

Post#54 » by Dupp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 pm

I_Socrates wrote:
Dupp wrote:Also Loves impact for us is underrated. He's very important and we'd be much much worse without him. He's battled injuries all year but when he's fit he's the second best player on our team.

Although this is completely unrelated to the thread, is that impact worth giving up what you gave up for him?
In my opinion, it's nowhere close. You could have had Frye, Andersen or other stretch 4's for WAY cheaper than what you gave up for Love. He isn't being used in the role that suits him (top 2 option) which is why giving up what the Cavs gave up was a mistake.[/quote

Oh well can't change that now.

We would undoubtably be worse with wiggins over love short term though (this year and maybe next).

Love provides more than spacing though. He is the key to our defensive roubounding, gives us a great passing big which is great for our overall offense and he can score in many ways. I know he hasnt been used 100% correct but that'll come.
People forget It took wade and Lebron a year to figure it out, in 2011 they just took turns at hero ball. After that both, especially wade become awesome of the ball. Love is a better fit than wade, it'll come.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#55 » by mademan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 pm

I_Socrates wrote:

In my opinion, it's nowhere close. You could have had Frye, Andersen or other stretch 4's for WAY cheaper than what you gave up for Love. He isn't being used in the role that suits him (top 2 option) which is why giving up what the Cavs gave up was a mistake.

Another training camp in the offseason and with Lebron slowing down more, his role will increase. The Cavs looked like they've been winging it all year and now that they've started winning, they dont want to make any big changes (like giving Love the ball more). I'm sure the top agenda for the coaching staff this offseason will be how to get Love more involved, and I trust Blatt (higher on him than most, i think he's a brilliant coach) will figure out a way to utilize Love's talent
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#56 » by blind prophet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 am

If he would be willing to play in Sacramento and signed for at least 3 seasons.

Landry out, (whoever we drafted traded later with our first), McCallum, and top 10 protected future maybe around 2018.

If you wanted picks would be hard to pass that up. If you want some solid veterans Sacramento poor trading partner.

Problem is, he could just sign there possibly, so would be an odd situation.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#57 » by Warriorfan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 am

Portland
pkgs Batum Mc Calum Meyers and forms a new big three of Alridge Love Lillard in the Northwest.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#58 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:58 am

Bennett + Bazz + Pek

Ok, ok and Wolves throw in their 2 high 2nd round picks.
radtech
Senior
And1: 46

Post#59 » by radtech » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:54 pm

If Love wants to win and be one of the faces of a winning franchise its Phoenix. The Suns appeal is their youth, getting back to the west coast kinda, and what The Cavs could get back.

I dont know if Love really cares if he gets a 4 or 5 year deal. So many current contracts have out clauses or player option to get out of that contract.

The reasons why the Cavs should consider a S&T is 2 big reasons in Varejao's health and Thompson' s restricted free agency. It has been suggested a trade of the Morris twins, Tucker, some other fillers, and multiple picks. The Suns have the pieces and draft picks to get Love.

Why the Cavs would do this, Love is the 3rd wheel, is the stretch 4, and is half way out the door. The twins are inside-outside or vice versa players who can spread the floor and offer enough size as rebounders and defenders. And if the Lakers draft pick is obtained, there r 4 great options 2 considered in the draft. Resigning Thompson improves the defense and he is a young relentless player.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Sign and trade options for Kevin Love this summer 

Post#60 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm

The real question is whether Love wants to be the star in Cleveland in 3 years. Lebron assembled this team to A) win now with him carrying the load and B) win later with him moving into a high value role player (see Duncan).

Including the pre-season and playoffs, James has crossed 42,000 minutes not including Olympics, pre-season, all-star games, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Trades and Transactions