Boston-Pelicans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no?

Pelicans
19%
Celtics
69%
Neither
No votes
Both
13%

Total votes: 16

Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Boston-Pelicans 

Post#1 » by Mykhyn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Isaiah Thomas + Evan Turner for Jrue Holiday

Boston gets a big PG who is a very good defender. Could form a devasting line up with Bradley.

Pelicans move Tyreke to PG, throw Evan Turner out as SF/ backup SF. Gives them another playmaker. Thomas gives them another instant offense option

Who says no? Why?
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Re: Boston-Pelicans 

Post#2 » by pelifan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I'd probably say no for the pelicans, seems like a lateral move at best. And the defense needs more work than the offense
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#3 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 am

There's this guy, Marcus Smart, who already makes a devastating defensive combination with Bradley.
With all due respect, I wouldn't trade IT for Holiday straight up. I'm not knocking Holiday, who is an ok player, but he's fragile.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:51 am

I think Thomas is better than Holiday, so that alone is a no for me. Never mind tossing in Turner. Also, Thomas is a better fit for the Celtics. He's fine off the bench behind Smart and Bradley. I don't think Holiday would be good in that role. Nor would Smart or Bradley be as effective off the bench.
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#5 » by Zaschrona » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:19 pm

No thanks. Thomas is way better than Holiday, especially in a role off the bench behind Smart/Bradley backcourt. I don't want to see Turner going either, he is a good fit next to Smart and Bradley in our starting lineup.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#6 » by Jon1798 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Wait a second, people actually believe IT is better than Jrue Holiday now?
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#7 » by Drax » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Jon1798 wrote:Wait a second, people actually believe IT is better than Jrue Holiday now?

You apperantly don't think so, explain why?
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,564

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Drax wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:Wait a second, people actually believe IT is better than Jrue Holiday now?

I don't either.
http://bkref.com/tiny/946Ek

Thomas is great instant offense but Jrue is a much better defender, and per 36 minutes or 100 possessions gives you significantly more assists, less turnovers, more steals, etc.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#9 » by Drax » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:13 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Drax wrote:

I don't either.

Thomas is great instant offense but Jrue is a much better defender, and per 36 minutes or 100 possessions gives you significantly more assists, less turnovers, more steals, etc.

I'm a fan of both players. I voted no for both sides. Jrue is in the right place going forward, so is Thomas.

Valuewise i'd like to see the fully recovered and healthy Jrue before i'd clearly say he's the better player. Value isn't always numbers alone, you have to factor in role and contract as well. And Thomas right now plays his role almost as good as anyone in the league. The 6th man microwave of the bench. Jrue on the other hand is viewed as a starting point coming of injurys, that usually is not a sign of good value. If we talk next trade deadline or even opening night that scenario might have changed.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,564

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Drax wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Drax wrote:

I don't either.

I'm a fan of both players. I voted no for both sides. Jrue is in the right place going forward, so is Thomas.

Valuewise i'd like to see the fully recovered and healthy Jrue before i'd clearly say he's the better player. Value isn't always numbers alone, you have to factor in role and contract as well. And Thomas right now plays his role almost as good as anyone in the league. The 6th man microwave of the bench. Jrue on the other hand is viewed as a starting point coming of injurys, that usually is not a sign of good value. If we talk next trade deadline or even opening night that scenario might have changed.

I understand the debate on value, as there are significant differences in contract (and recent health). That said, saying the value is off is different than saying Thomas is a way better player, which I disagree with.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#11 » by Laimbeer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Drax wrote:

I don't either.

I voted Thomas too quickly based on some offensive explosions he's had against certain teams (ahem) but Jrue is the more solid all around package. Pels say no, not sure about the Celtics. Thomas makes a nice third wheel to Smart and Bradley.

And for the love of all things holy lets' stop trading point guards TO the Celtics. :lol:
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#12 » by bs_and_cs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:16 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Drax wrote:

I don't either.

Hell after seeing that comparison it further confirms that the two players are absolutely on the same level, they just do different things well.

Yes, Jrue is a better defender, yes he will give a more assists, steals and turnovers. But the offensive different between is significant as well. IT scores significantly more, he has a better TS%, he gets to the line a lot more, he has a higher eFG% and the different between his offensive rating and his defensive rating is higher (5) than the difference between Jrue's offensive and defensive rating (2).

So in turn, this trade makes no sense for either team. Especially from the Celtics perspective because they desperately need a player who can score at will regardless of his defensive game.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#13 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:13 am

I think IT is a better offensive player, but Holliday is better overall. I just don't like the trade because I still want Smart as the pg next year.

Return to Trades and Transactions