Lakers Trade a Piece of the Future for a Piece of the Past

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#1 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 am

Jordan Clarkson and (sign and traded) Ed Davis

for

Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson

Chicago gets almost ten million in capspace (if Davis signs for around 6 mill per). They also get two players they could really use as they trim salary. Clarkson could be a dynamic understudy to Rose, while Davis could be an impactful backup center and PF.

Lakers get a mentor to whichever big man they draft while also showing a little class by bringing Kobe's partner in crime back. They also get a veteran, defensive PF to teach Randle the ropes.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,825

Re: Lakers Trade a Piece of the Future for a Piece of the Past 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 25, 2015 1:22 am

I'm not sure how thrilled Pau would be to go back to the Lakers. Hard to see Chicago sending back somewhere he left on not great terms after he agreed to a very below-marked contract and rewarded them with a 2nd team all-NBA selection. The value is also way short for the Bulls here. Both Gibson and Pau alone have more value than that package so the Lakers get one at a discount and the other for free. Also with Noah's health a concern I can't imagine the Bulls trade their 2 best and most consistent bigs. Davis is not an adequate substitute.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:22 am

And what draft picks are the Lakers giving up ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#4 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon May 25, 2015 1:28 am

Bad fit for the Lakers and bad value for the Bulls.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 1:28 am

Interesting.

I thought the Bulls would be enticed by the money savings and a potential in-house replacement being groomed for Rose. Davis was only the third most important piece for the Bulls in this deal.

Perhaps I both overvalued the 9 million dollars in savings for the cash strapped Bulls and the fantastic one-year deal of Clarkson as they take inventory of his future.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,098

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:29 am

I think Randle for the pair makes more sense value wise, but the fit would be bad for Chi with Mirotic in town, and as Chuck said, I don't see the Bulls screwing Pau like that. He didn't exactly leave on great terms after being scapegoated and almost traded several times, and he has played very well for the Bulls.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 1:29 am

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Bad fit for the Lakers and bad value for the Bulls.

Disagree with this idea wholeheartedly.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 1:34 am

I think Gasol would welcome a return to LA.

Don't think he particularly likes the situation in Chicago right now.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#9 » by Takingbaconback » Mon May 25, 2015 1:46 am

People are sleeping hard, Clarkson > Gasol who's at the twilight of his career and Gibson. Absolutely love Clarkson's composure and leadership. Ed Davis isn't a throw in either that dude has serious impact on defense.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqy_ptKWYuQ[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7da9r56_nA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHvVpzqCZI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKtg5gHj2sI[/youtube]

Could have gone on but what's the point?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#10 » by Kings2013 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:50 am

I thought the Lakers valued Clarkson as a piece heading forward
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 1:57 am

Indeed.

Maybe it is a fair trade then.

Chicago would most definitely be sending the much bigger "names", but the players with most potential would be coming back.

This is fair if you look at what these teams need and the value one team gets now, and the other gets a little later.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,493

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 25, 2015 2:26 am

ALL HAIL wrote:Indeed.

Maybe it is a fair trade then.

Chicago would most definitely be sending the much bigger "names", but the players with most potential would be coming back.

This is fair if you look at what these teams need and the value one team gets now, and the other gets a little later.

Chicago needs an unproven PG and to trade their two best big men (after watching the last few months of Bulls games) for a big man who couldn't get a contract above the vet minimum just last season?

Chicago needs what they've needed for the last 3-4 years - to trade one of their bigs for a wing. I don't get the hate on Chicago, Rose just got done playing decent-good ball to end the year. One of Noah/Gasol/Gibson should to be traded and Aaron Brooks needs to be replaced with an average back up PG..

-

I'll agree that this doesn't make sense for Lakers.. But it's ridiculous value.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,561

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon May 25, 2015 3:00 am

This is a terrible trade for Philly. And Chicago.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 3:07 am

Come on man.

I like how you try to frame Clarkson as a negative by calling him "unproven", yet later you ask for an average PG, as if Clarkson is below average. Nice.

Also, if Gasol and Gibson are the two best frontcourt players then why does every Bulls fan in America want Mirotic to start.

The reality us that Gasol and Niko had the best years in the frontcourt, but Mirotic and Gasol don't fit well.

Since Gasol is at the end, and you'd like to see what Noah can play like at his natural position before you entertain paying him.

Noah and Mirotic should start, and that's where and why Gasol, in my opinion, would welcome a trade back to the Lakers. He'd rather start on a team with Kobe than cone off the bench in Chicago.

Getting Clarkson for Gasol seems fair to me, and replacing Gibson with Davis, who is also a better fit next to Niko, is also quite fair.

Again, LA gets the name value while Chicago gets the better future.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#15 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon May 25, 2015 3:10 am

Why does Chicago do this? Clarkson is good but he isn't enough to get Gibson and Gasol I feel like Ed Davis is a guy who could be had for free in the free agency period.

Chicago needs to try to build around Snell, Butler, McBuckets, Mirotic and try to move Noah for the best package they could get and move forward with a massive amount of cap space when Rose's deal expires
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Re: 

Post#16 » by ALL HAIL » Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Why does Chicago do this? Clarkson is good but he isn't enough to get Gibson and Gasol I feel like Ed Davis is a guy who could be had for free in the free agency period.

Chicago needs to try to build around Snell, Butler, McBuckets, Mirotic and try to move Noah for the best package they could get and move forward with a massive amount of cap space when Rose's deal expires

With Chicago soooo far over the cap they'd have NO chance at Ed Davis.

And what's so bad about adding Clarkson and Davis to the core you just mentioned (Buckets, Niko, and Butler).

Also, why should they build around Butler, Snell, and Buckets if they're trading Noah for another wing?

Finally, I don't think those opposed to this trade for Chicago are really giving strong enough consideration to the nine million in savings for a Chicago team that is way over the cap -- this is a salary dump with prospects coming your way as well.

Think about the nearly ten million in savings.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,825

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 am

Way way too much hype being put on Clarkson. I mean someone posting he's better than Pau Gasol is flat absurd. Every single bad team ever has some guard who puts up some volume but generally with poor efficiency and too many turnovers. But fans just remember the highlights because they feel this need to find some hope somewhere.

And Ed Davis is a decent 4th big. Not close to Pau or Gibson.

And stop acting like the cap savings is adding value to the Bulls. It doesn't. Because tehy could trade either guy for pure cap space and actual value without any difficulty at all. You get to sell cap savings when you are taking dead weight money not two guys who outperform their contracts--especially Pau.

Its awful in every way for Chicago. Period.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#18 » by LApwnd » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 am

So destory whatever little talent at the guard position, kill our max cap space for 2 old players to be mentors? Yea sounds great
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#19 » by MadNESS » Mon May 25, 2015 3:43 am

Lakers say no thanks.

If Pau really wanted to be in LAL he would be.

Gibson takes minutes from Randle, and we aren't trading Clarkson. Period.

Thanks.
LAKESHOW
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#20 » by LApwnd » Mon May 25, 2015 3:43 am

and for those who like to repeat the media garbage, Pau would've re-signed at discount had we signed Melo.

Return to Trades and Transactions