Boston Celtics 2015-2016 Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,674

Boston Celtics 2015-2016 Cap Space 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 12:48 am

Updated 4/22 - signed John Holland.

Current Cap Space: None. $7,166,671.00 over
Maximum Cap Space: None. $7,166,671.00 over (if all options/guarantees were not picked up, all FAs renounced, no Draft Picks were to be signed this season, and all Exceptions were renounced)
Luxury Tax Space: $7,516,210.00
Tax Apron Space: $11,516,210..00
2016-2017 Maximum Cap Space: $56,397,958.00

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (15): Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, John Holland, R.J. Hunter, Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson, Jordan Mickey, Kelly Olynyk, Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart, Jared Sullinger, Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner, James Young, Tyler Zeller

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts (0): None

Free Agents (1): Luigi Datome

First Round Draft Pick Holds (0): None

Carried Money (8): $30,888.00 (Coty Clarke 1), $30,888.00 (Coty Clarke 2), $1,706,250.00 (Zoran Dragic), $2,038,206.00 (Perry Jones III), $15,035,105.00 (David Lee), $25,000.00 (Malcolm Miller), $25,000.00 (Levi Randolph), $25,000.00 (Corey Walden)

Unsigned Second Round Picks (4): Colton Iverson, Ben Pepper, Josip Sesar, Marcus Thornton

Exceptions: Room Exception at $2,814,000.00. No Bi-Annual Exception due to being under the Cap. No TPEs.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,312

Re: Boston Celtics 2015-2016 Projected Cap Space 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 2:47 am

Smitty731 wrote:
Spoiler:
Updated 6/3

Current Cap Space: None. $23,035,183.00 over
Maximum Cap Space: $25,117,875.00 (if all options/guarantees were not picked up, all FAs renounced, no Draft Picks were to be signed this season, and all Exceptions were renounced)
Projected Cap Space: $35,246.00 over
Luxury Tax Space: $32,372,475.00
Tax Apron Space: $36,372,475.00

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (9): Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart, Jared Sullinger, Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner, Gerald Wallace, James Young, Tyler Zeller

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept (2): Chris Babb, Phil Pressey

Restricted FAs given Qualifying Offers (2): Jae Crowder, Luigi Datome

FA Cap Holds (2): Brandon Bass, Jonas Jerebko

FAs Renounced/Players Waived (13): Carlos Arroyo, Dana Barros, P.J. Brown, Mark Bryant, Michael Finley, Nenad Krstic, Grant Long, Stephon Marbury, Roshown McLeod, Michael Olowokandi, Shaquille O’Neal, Scot Pollard, Chris Wilcox

Draft Pick Holds (2): Pick #16, Pick #28

Carried Money (0): None

Expected Exceptions (based on Cap space projection, subject to change): Non-Taxpayer Exception at $5,464,000.00. Bi-Annual at $2,139,000.00. TPEs at $12,909,091.00 (Rajon Rondo), $7,707,865.00 (Tayshaun Prince), $5,000,000.00 (Brandan Wright), $1,336,394.00 (Marcus Thornton), $1,334,092.00 (Kris Humphries), $689,840.00 (Austin Rivers), $625,280.00 (Jameer Nelson), $507,336.00 (Dwight Powell), $285,816.00 (Keith Bogans), $152,757.00 (Joel Anthony)

Line of Thinking:

The Celtics started out the season with hope of possibly being decent if Rajon Rondo bounced back and Jeff Green stepped up. Neither of those things really happened. Both were moved, along with several other players, in a flurry of moves. And then a funny thing happened, the Celtics became a really solid team. They put together one of the better records in the league after the Trade Deadline. And then they unexpectedly made the Playoffs. Danny Ainge openly said it wasn’t how he planned for things to go, but you go with what happens.

Where does this leave the Celtics now? They aren’t a contender. They aren’t a bottom dweller. They are kind of sitting in the middle. That is a dangerous place to be in the NBA.

The Celtics have plenty of options going forward. A ton of Draft picks (as many as 12 over the next two seasons) are coming their way. They also have either some of the largest TPEs in the league or a chance to have Cap space like the franchise hasn’t seen in decades.

In order to maintain the chance to use the TPEs, I think the Celtics operate as an over the Cap team. They have 9 guaranteed contracts. Those are all easy. The two non-guaranteed deals are likely to be kept as well. Either guy can be used in a trade, or waived if the space is needed.

As for the FAs, the Celtics will likely hang on to the rights for Brandon Bass and Jonas Jerebko. Bass has been productive for years on a very good deal. If Boston was to work their way in to contention, he’d be a great guy to have coming off the bench. Jerebko played great for Boston after leaving Detroit. He could be back on a reasonable deal as well.

The RFAs are somewhat cut and dry as well. Crowder is a lock to get a Qualifying Offer. He was terrific for Boston and definitely someone the Celtics would like to keep. They won’t go crazy, but any reasonable offer should be matched. Datome had his moments in green as well. I think he’ll get a QO, but the Celtics won’t rush to bring him back. If the deal is right, and there is roster space, he may have a home in Boston. Otherwise, the Celtics will move on.

All the flexibility is there for Boston. Danny Ainge has repeatedly said it is about putting your team in the position to make a move when it presents itself. Boston will likely inquire about every major FA and some of the rumored trade targets as well. They can put together packages of picks, Cap relief and young assets that most teams can’t match. They promised fireworks last summer. Maybe this summer that comes true.

edited by Chuck. In the future please use the spoiler tag if you want to quote something this long. I know you quoted him to make sure he saw your post which is cool, but this just keeps the thread cleaner. thanks, Chuck

thanks for sharing...didn't the Cs use most of the Brandon Wright TPE to acquire Jerekbo though?
Sign here
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 12:50 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
thanks for sharing...didn't the Cs use most of the Brandon Wright TPE to acquire Jerekbo though?

Good catch! Typo on the Wright one. I had it correct in my math.

Thanks!
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,312

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 12:51 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Good catch! Forgot to update the Rivers and Wright TPEs. They were both partially used to get Datome and Jerebko.

Thanks!

cheers, appreciate all the work you do putting these together.
Sign here
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,589

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jun 8, 2015 3:59 pm

Smitty731 wrote:In order to maintain the chance to use the TPEs, I think the Celtics operate as an over the Cap team. They have 9 guaranteed contracts. Those are all easy. The two non-guaranteed deals are likely to be kept as well. Either guy can be used in a trade, or waived if the space is needed.

Mind working me through how you see that playing out?

I'm lazy eyeballing it right now, but it looks like Boston can use the TPE's and bring on 21m in contracts with the highest salary only 13m and relying on trade or sign and trades that hard cap the team (Using the ~13 and ~8TPE's as the rest don't matter).

In contrast the team could have roughly 20m in open cap space without the TPE restrictions just cutting the cap holds, while keeping the holds of 16, 28 and Crowder.

I get that the bigger MLE is more attractive than getting stuck with the under-over one, but I don't see it playing out that what Boston wants to do fits all into TPE sign and trades and not targeting anyone for more than 13m at all.

My guess is the team tries to use the TPE's until July 1st, and then switches to an under the cap team for the added flexibility.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:04 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:In order to maintain the chance to use the TPEs, I think the Celtics operate as an over the Cap team. They have 9 guaranteed contracts. Those are all easy. The two non-guaranteed deals are likely to be kept as well. Either guy can be used in a trade, or waived if the space is needed.

I'm lazy eyeballing it right now, but it looks like Boston can use the TPE's and bring on 21m in contracts with the highest salary only 13m and relying on trade or sign and trades that hard cap the team (Using the ~13 and ~8TPE's as the rest don't matter).

In contrast the team could have roughly 20m in open cap space without the TPE restrictions just cutting the cap holds, while keeping the holds of 16, 28 and Crowder.

I get that the bigger MLE is more attractive than getting stuck with the under-over one, but I don't see it playing out that what Boston wants to do fits all into TPE sign and trades and not targeting anyone for more than 13m at all.

My guess is the team tries to use the TPE's until July 1st, and then switches to an under the cap team for the added flexibility.

We are pretty much on the same page. I think it stretches through the moratorium that they will try to use the TPEs. Then once/if they need Cap space, they will dump the TPEs and Cap Holds. My projection is just where I think they start things off. I don't think they will immediately renounce their FAs and dump their exceptions. I think they will look to use what they can and then dump everything else after.

My main reasoning is that Ainge brings up the TPEs quite a bit in different conversations. And he obviously angled to have them. I think that signals that he intends to use them if he can.

The point about flexibility is the key. The Celtics are in position to go either way. I do think, barring some team hitting him with an offer, Crowder will sit for a while. The Celtics definitely want him back, but he has such a low Cap Hold, there is no rush to sign him. Unless their hand is forced of course.
HartfordWhalers

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:10 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

We are pretty much on the same page. I think it stretches through the moratorium that they will try to use the TPEs. Then once/if they need Cap space, they will dump the TPEs and Cap Holds. My projection is just where I think they start things off. I don't think they will immediately renounce their FAs and dump their exceptions. I think they will look to use what they can and then dump everything else after.

My main reasoning is that Ainge brings up the TPEs quite a bit in different conversations. And he obviously angled to have them. I think that signals that he intends to use them if he can.

The point about flexibility is the key. The Celtics are in position to go either way. I do think, barring some team hitting him with an offer, Crowder will sit for a while. The Celtics definitely want him back, but he has such a low Cap Hold, there is no rush to sign him. Unless their hand is forced of course.

So, expect Philly to offer him decent money early?

In terms of switching course -- starting an over the cap TPE team and going to an under the cap cap space team -- I know that you can rescind rescinding cap holds if, 1) You target a restricted free agent and 2) The team matches. While this makes sense to consider for Boston, as targeting the guys like Middleton/Butler/etc are some of teh bigger fish this year, I hadn't ever considered this before but wanted to check...

Lets say Boston does that. They drop Bass/Jerebko etc's cap holds, offer on Middleton, and get matched. They can then reclaim those cap hits and be an over the cap team again. But, do they get back the TPE's and the MLE that were lost? I haven't seen anything to suggest they would, which in this case would entirely negate Boston's benefits of reclaiming the cap holds (Sorry Bass fans).
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:20 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

So, expect Philly to offer him decent money early?

In terms of switching course -- starting an over the cap TPE team and going to an under the cap cap space team -- I know that you can rescind rescinding cap holds if, 1) You target a restricted free agent and 2) The team matches. While this makes sense to consider for Boston, as targeting the guys like Middleton/Butler/etc are some of teh bigger fish this year, I hadn't ever considered this before but wanted to check...

Lets say Boston does that. They drop Bass/Jerebko etc's cap holds, offer on Middleton, and get matched. They can then reclaim those cap hits and be an over the cap team again. But, do they get back the TPE's and the MLE that were lost? I haven't seen anything to suggest they would, which in this case would entirely negate Boston's benefits of reclaiming the cap holds (Sorry Bass fans).[/quote]

Really good question. I'll do some research. My guess is that they would not get the Exceptions back. I think once they are gone, they are gone. Also, if the renouncing of the FAs took them under the Cap, they can't then rescind the renouncements and go back over the Cap. From the FAQ:

Only in one specific circumstance -- when they renounce one or more of their players in order to create enough cap room to sign another team's restricted free agent, but the restricted free agent's original team matches the offer sheet and keeps him. If that happens, the team can rescind the renouncement.

However, a team can't rescind a renouncement if doing so takes them from below the salary cap to above it; or if they are already above the cap and rescinding the renouncement takes them farther above the cap than they were before the renouncement. This closes a loophole -- it prevents a team from rescinding a player in order to make an offer, then if the offer isn't accepted using the resulting cap space to sign another free agent, before rescinding the renouncement to get back the renounced player's Bird rights.

So, I don't think that option would really be there. I do think if they really wanted one of the RFAs, they would just drop below the Cap and go for it.
HartfordWhalers

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:26 pm

Smitty731 wrote:However, a team can't rescind a renouncement if doing so takes them from below the salary cap to above it

Well that answers that, and limits that provision in general. Thanks!

Return to Trades and Transactions