Chuck Texas & PMOTT3's Early Off-Season Review: Charlotte Hornets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

How would you grade the Hornets off-season?

A+
No votes
A
No votes
A-
No votes
B+
No votes
B
8%
B-
5%
C+
11%
C
13%
C-
24%
D or worse
39%

Total votes: 38

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Chuck Texas & PMOTT3's Early Off-Season Review: Charlotte Hornets 

Post#21 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm

JDR720 wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:the team is better than last season, but we really limited our ceiling as a team. i fully expect to be rebuilding again in a year or two, hopefully we stick to it this time.

Just out of curiosity, do you think Cho will get canned if after all these off-season moves you guys still miss the playoffs? Or do you think the blame will be passed down to Clifford? Perhaps both get fired in this scenario?

I think both we be fired. Clifford is on his last year, so if we dont make the playoffs i definitely think he will be gone. not sure what Cho's contract is.

If that's the case, they have to eat whatever is on Cho's deal at the end of the season. You can't just fire the coach and leave the GM in charge who assembled the roster. Gotta clean house.

Tbh the Hornets made some of the worst moves this summer. Other posters have summed it up, but it is sad to see an FO that is so blind and sells out the future for the present.
bigheadburton
Junior
And1: 115

Post#23 » by bigheadburton » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:50 pm

At the time I firmly believed it was right to reject Celtics offer of what seemed like various late first rounders. Seems like it was better picks than expected, now I'm not so sure anymore. 15+16 this year, an unprotected nets pick and another future first is a very strong package. With some luck and good drafting it could turn a franchise around.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#24 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm a fan so maybe am not being objective, but I still don't mind passing. We have enough young talent even though we sent out Biz and Vonleh. We do not need multiple 19 and 20 year olds occupying roster spots every year.

Said this on our board, but given that BOS and CHA are situated pretty similarly as franchises right now (young coach, relatively young roster with no bad contracts, recent surprise playoff appearances), I don't understand why CHA should get any more criticism for valuing the 9 over the picks than BOS does for doing the same thing by making the offer.
bigheadburton
Junior
And1: 115

Post#25 » by bigheadburton » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm a fan so maybe am not being objective, but I still don't mind passing. We have enough young talent even though we sent out Biz and Vonleh. We do not need multiple 19 and 20 year olds occupying roster spots every year.

Said this on our board, but given that BOS and CHA are situated pretty similarly as franchises right now (young coach, relatively young roster with no bad contracts, recent surprise playoff appearances), I don't understand why CHA should get any more criticism for valuing the 9 over the picks than BOS does for doing the same thing by making the offer.

Yeah I still don't hate it for the Hornets. I feel like in a vacuum it's a bit much for Celtics to offer, but they are in a different position in that they have a load of assets that are mediocre to good, but they lack high end assets so consolidating a bunch of picks for someone they really want is a sound move.
If the Hornets really really loved Kaminsky they did the right choice since they are in win now mode, but if there were any doubts they should have gone for Celtics offer.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,827

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Said this on our board, but given that BOS and CHA are situated pretty similarly as franchises right now (young coach, relatively young roster with no bad contracts, recent surprise playoff appearances), I don't understand why CHA should get any more criticism for valuing the 9 over the picks than BOS does for doing the same thing by making the offer.

I'm not sure that Charlotte is getting more criticism than Boston for that. I'm assuming you are just more perceptive of it when its about the Hornets for obvious reasons.

If the package is really whats listed above, it seems crazy that Charlotte didn't bite. They probably could have turned right around and moved right back up to number 10 if they wanted while still keeping most of what Boston gave them. Now if your FO is convinced that Frank is a star then thats fine, but I'd have to be really really sure of that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#27 » by NTB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 am

loserX wrote:I'm very intrigued by what they did. They needed shooters all over the floor (*especially* if the plan was to stick with Kemba/MKG/Big Al another year, and it appears that it is), and they went and got a bunch.

Bigs who can shoot? Check.
Wings who can shoot? Check.
A backup PG who can shoot? Check.

On that front they did well. (And Lance definitely had to go. He may still excel somewhere but it wouldn't have been next to Kemba in Charlotte. So moving him is a plus as well.) I still don%POSTknow how they shake out as far as making the playoffs, but they're going to be a lot less of a drudge to watch and that counts for something too.

I'll be watching them with interest this year, especially since Al and Batum are free agents next year. Will this version of the Hornets experiment work? And how will the results (either way) shape what happens next summer?

Kemba's, Lin's, MKG's, Lamb's shooting are not trustworthy at all.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#28 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:43 pm

I gave us a B, it would have been an A+ had we retained Biyombo.

I vehemently disagreed with us letting Biyombo go. We didn't tender him the qualifying offer because it would have put us over the apron and given us the smaller MLE to use. I think we had plans to use the full MLE on either Bellineli or Biyombo himself, but our coach has never been a fan of Biz so he probably thought (rightly) that it was in his best interest to go to a team where he would get more opportunities to play. So in the end we haven't used the MLE at all and Biyombo is playing for another team in our conference. We basically let our coach dictate personnel moves and I don't think he has proven himself nearly enough to have that kind of clout.

The rest of our offseason though? I loved it, even the Kaminsky pick and trade refusal (despite Ainge's unprofessional whining to the media). Kaminsky is projected by a lot of statistical models to be a potential all-star level player. No other player in our range other than Turner, who looks like an injury waiting to happen, had the combination of talent and fit that Kaminsky had. Winslow is a smaller MKG, on a team that already has enough project shooters. We would not have been able to give him the development attention he needs, we were wise to pass on him. Boston's offer was certainly competitive, but two mid round picks, some likely 2nd, and a 2018 first on a team looking to be competitive now to take full advantage of the cap rise was not worth it for us. And it wasn't worth it for the other 9 teams Boston offered deals to in an effort to trade up with them.

It hurt to see us trade Vonleh, but to get something you have to give something.We made a gamble that being more competitive now and maximizing the value of our over $50 million in available cap space next offseason was worth more than holding onto Vonleh. If it works and we have a good season, keep Batum, and are a desirable destination for other free agents in the offseason the risk will have paid off. The end goal is to be as competitive as possible when the 2017 season rolls around. We have the All-Star game in Charlotte that year and Steph Curry will be a free agent later that summer. We are going to throw everything we have at Curry in an effort to convince him to come home. If we fail another rebuild will be right around the corner.

The Lance trade was as good as we could possibly expect. We moved Lance for a big in Hawes that will improve our passing and spacing and then flipped a guy who likely didn't want to play for us in Barnes for a guy who very much wants to be in Charlotte in Lamb.

We then signed Lin to a bargain of a contract and added Aaron Harrison and Hansbrough to the team as well for development upside and added toughness. I dislike it that we have yet to add a rim protector to the team, but there are none available that are worth the MLE. Which is another reason why not tendering Biz the QO was a very poor decision. Overall though I am happy with what we did. It is going to be very hard to attain a rim protector though and it will come back to bite us sooner or later.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one BizGilWalker

I like your win lose predictions give or take 3 games most likely 35 wins.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#30 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:23 pm

I don't like a single move they made.

Lin is inoffensive at least. Everything else was either really bad (Vonleh) to just bad (Kaminsky).

D from me. Only because there are no terrible long term contracts involved.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,841

Post#31 » by giberish » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Outside of the Lin signing, I don't see anything good from Charlotte. It's tough to know what trade deals were possible, but just take the Boston offer and have a relative do-nothing summer and the team's in much better shape.

Draft Hunter/Oubre at 15/16, resign Biyombo, waive Stevenson (better than taking back Hawes bad deal). Compared to what they did, the team is about the same for this year, but much better going forward:

Henderson vs. Batum is a downgrade for this year but both are UFA's in a season so minimal long-term difference
Biyombo vs Hawes is an upgrade for this year and a bigger one long-term.
Vonlah vs Kaminsky is a push this year with Vonleh having more long-term value
Hunter+Oubre+BK 1st vs Lamb won't matter this year but is a major win long-term.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#32 » by amcoolio » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 pm

This bodes well for our playoff chances this season, because last time we got slammed this hard in an offseason on RealGM (Signing Jefferson, drafting Zeller at 4, signing Sessions, F grades abound) We won +21 games and made the playoffs.

I think you guys are being pretty harsh. They massively improved the bench and the SG position, and if Jefferson gets it together like in 2013-14 then this is easily the best Charlotte team since the Glen Rice/Vlade Divac era.

I hated the Vonleh trade too, but its funny that everyone was saying how hes a bust on here up until the moment we traded him and now hes a cant miss prospect and that we really screwed up by trading him. Bismack too.

I think the Hornets win 48 games this season if they (MKG and Kemba) stay healthy. We have a lot of versatility, we have actual NBA players coming off the bench this time, and Clifford can mask defensive inefficiencies pretty well.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,564

Post#33 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:38 am

amcoolio wrote:This bodes well for our playoff chances this season, because last time we got slammed this hard in an offseason on RealGM (Signing Jefferson, drafting Zeller at 4, signing Sessions, F grades abound) We won +21 games and made the playoffs.

I think you guys are being pretty harsh. They massively improved the bench and the SG position, and if Jefferson gets it together like in 2013-14 then this is easily the best Charlotte team since the Glen Rice/Vlade Divac era.

I hated the Vonleh trade too, but its funny that everyone was saying how hes a bust on here up until the moment we traded him and now hes a cant miss prospect and that we really screwed up by trading him. Bismack too.

I think the Hornets win 48 games this season if they (MKG and Kemba) stay healthy. We have a lot of versatility, we have actual NBA players coming off the bench this time, and Clifford can mask defensive inefficiencies pretty well.

I think at the time what everyone said was -- win now moves that won't even get Charlotte a 1st round win, and will leave them in worse shape in 2-3 years.

It wouldn't shock me if Charlotte makes the playoffs. It would shock me if Charlotte wins 2 full games when there, and isn't back out of the playoffs again soon.

Hope for Charlotte fans I am wrong, the franchise has had it tough.

Return to Trades and Transactions