Rolling trade challenge: keep cousins, make playoffs.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Re: Rolling trade challenge: keep cousins, make playoffs. 

Post#41 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Will end voting at 12 midnight eastern tonight.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#42 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm surprised so many people thought the Celtics would take Rondo back. To me that was just an ender. Not to mention a huge overpay by them for WCS. I mean Thomas, Hunter, Sully, Zeller and the Minny pick? For just WCS? I just don't see that as realistic.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#43 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I'm surprised so many people thought the Celtics would take Rondo back. To me that was just an ender. Not to mention a huge overpay by them for WCS. I mean Thomas, Hunter, Sully, Zeller and the Minny pick? For just WCS? I just don't see that as realistic.

yes I'd agree. no way Ainge considers that.
Sign here
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#44 » by DocRI » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:02 pm

I think we all felt the same way about this challenge — it proved to be a LOT tougher than I anticipated!

My two favorite submissions were KqWin and loserX, as I felt both did a really solid job of meeting the stated goal of getting the Kings to the postseason immediately. So, forced to choose between the two, I'm going to split hairs and bring up something I mentioned in my own submission — as much as I liked KqWin's trade for Taj Gibson, I think it's unlikely that the Bulls do anything to help the Kings due to Sacramento's potential pick obligation to them.

MY VOTE: loserX

Great job as always, everyone!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#45 » by Kings2013 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

DocRI wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Sacramento has a new arena, an owner that won't sign off on any cousins trade, and a mandate to make the post season. On the plus side they could care less about character/lockerroom flaws, so you can as well.

Other than Cousins nothing is off limits besides firing the owner. (Can't move team East either)

But I could move them north? Like to Seattle? 'Cuz damn it, the old school fan in me wants to see a Sonics revival!

Before I dive in, I'd like to emphasize what I emphasized in the OP — as I read it, this challenge is to get the Kings into the playoffs THIS SEASON. So i'm going to be bold and sell out to do just that; I don't have to aim for a title or a dynasty, just to finish top eight in the west (although that will probably require about a 20 game improvement!). That means trading with other Western Conference teams is probably a no-no. Also, due to the Kings' pick obligations to both the Bulls and the Sixers, I crossed them off the list as potential trade partners because helping the Kings improve does not behoove those franchises.

So, where to start? From the top down ...

MOVE ONE — FIRE GEORGE KARL, HIRE TOM THIBODEAU
WHY — This ends any and all "Karl vs. Boogie" drama immediately. Say what you will about him running his players into the ground, Thibs has NEVER missed the playoffs in his head coaching career, so if I give him talented enough of a roster, he'll get them over the hump and into the postseason promised land (hence accomplishing this challenge). Most importantly, he's got ties and a previous relationship with both Cousins (Team USA) and Rondo (Celtics); seeing as I don't think Rondo is tradable at this point, I need a coach who he trusts and will get the absolutely most out of him.

TRADE #1 —

SAC OUT: Kosta Koufos & Darren Collison
SAC IN: Tristan Thompson (S&T, 4 years, $17.5M per season, PO after year 3)
WHY: Because Cousins' range extends to ~20 feet, so spacing shouldn't be a big issue (but more on that in a moment). And I actually think Thompson's contract demands and the situation in CLE have made him underrated; no, he doesn't deserve a max contract to back up Kevin Love and only play 20 minutes a game, but he's a damn good young PF coming off a really solid postseason. This move also takes pressure off of WCS (but more on that in a moment, too). Thompson reportedly wants a "max or near max" deal, so I'm hoping $17.5M per, with a player option year 3, is close enough.

CLE OUT: Tristan Thompson (S&T, 4 years, $17.5M per season, PO after year 3)
CLE IN: Kosta Koufos & Darren Collison
WHY: Get something for Thompson before he walks next year for nothing, and I happen to think Darren Collison is more than just "something" — considering Kyrie's injury history, Collison provides the Cavs both spectacular insurance and a dynamic 6th man. Plus, Koufos is locked in on a reasonable contract and provides a fair semblance of what they'd ask out of Thompson (first big man off the bench) at about $10M per year cheaper.

TRADE #2 —

SAC OUT: Omri Caspi, Caron Butler, James Anderson & Quincy Acy
SAC IN: Channing Frye & Shabazz Napier
WHY: To me, with the trade I just made for Thompson, this is the quintessential "lose the trade on paper, win the trade on the court" deal. Pure expirings for Frye and Napier? Am I nuts? Well, yes. But after the last deal I feel the Kings need: A) another backup PG; and B) more shooting / spacing, especially in the form of a stretch big man. And as I wrote above, this takes a TON of pressure of WCS, who can now do what he does well and always be paired with another big man who can shoot (Cousins or Frye). So I overpay to get what I need. Because again, it's playoffs this year or bust!

ORL OUT: SAC IN: Channing Frye & Shabazz Napier
ORL IN: Omri Caspi, Caron Butler, James Anderson & Quincy Acy
WHY: Conversation in the Magic's war room — "Wait, the Kings just offered us pure expirings for Frye if we throw in Napier, even after we just signed Watson to be our primary backup PG? Is it April 1st? Why the heck are they offering to help us out like that? Well quick, don't look a gift horse in the mouth; accept it and call the league!"

KINGS FINAL DEPTH CHART:
PG: Rondo / Napier / Curry / Stockton
SG: McLemore / Belineli
SF: Gay / Minimum Vet FA Pick Ups
PF: Thompson / Frye
C: Cousins / WCS
HC: Thibodeau

RESULT — With Thibs at the helm, I believe that Kings team finishes ahead of DAL, DEN, LAL, MIN, PHX & POR and competes with NO & UTAH for the final two Western Conference playoffs spots.

*** EDIT — CRAP!!! Just noticed a major flaw in my proposal — Koufos can't be traded until 12/15, which means Thompson would have to hold out and not sign his QO until then for that S&T to go down. I won't remove my submission from consideration because I think it's still technically possible, but let me be the first to acknowledge how unrealistic that is.

The Pistons would look better there, that way there would actually be people at the games

That isn't a joke to us. Folks fought to keep the team here
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:24 pm

If anyone wants to total up the votes they can, or wait til I get home and do it.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Texas Chuck

Post#47 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:43 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:If anyone wants to total up the votes they can, or wait til I get home and do it.

loserX and pelifan lead with 2 apiece. Several others with 1 vote.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:18 am

Ok, I guess we wait on a tie breaker.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#49 » by Winglish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:36 am

I vote KqWin
Texas Chuck

Post#50 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:40 am

Winglish wrote:I vote KqWin

he joins loserX and pelifan with 2 votes
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#51 » by spearsy23 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:52 am

I think topic creator should have tie breaking vote, after all it's their scenario and if there's a tie at the end they can say who best met their criteria.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 am

I'll give it another hour and a half then break the tie.

I'd really rather it was decided by vote though.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#53 » by wickedwrister » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:41 am

I'll go with Loserx
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:20 am

LoserX wins! You're up.
Texas Chuck

Post#55 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Congrats loserX. Look forward to what you come up with.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#56 » by loserX » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Huzzah! Thanks to all who participated and voted. Okay, new challenge up shortly.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#57 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:09 am

This one is easy...

Hawks don't be stressed about Horford leaving in offseason for nothing, we will take on that worry.

Horford + Korver for WCS + McLemore + KK

For Hawks...Millsap + WCS + KK + Splitter is hell of a front court, both win now and potential.

For Kings, Horford and Cousins need to rip it up. Each playing C and PF depending on matchup.
C: Cousins
F: Horford
F: Gay
G: Korver
G: Rondo
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#58 » by kalenclayton » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:47 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:This one is easy...

Hawks don't be stressed about Horford leaving in offseason for nothing, we will take on that worry.

For Hawks...Millsap + WCS + KK + Splitter is hell of a front court, both win now and potential.

For Kings, Horford and Cousins need to rip it up. Each playing C and PF depending on matchup.

I would love to see Horford and Korver on this team. They would compliment what we are trying to do so well. The problem is that we give up so much of our youth and take on a huge risk that Horford leaves in the offseason. Yes this team could make noise if they made the trade, but if we lost Horford in the offseason, the team would be horrible.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#59 » by Golabki » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Make sure Rondo doesn't see the floor... maybe release him before training camp?

I like pieces off their roster. The dumping of Stauskas, etc to sign Belinelli (trainwreck at defense) & Rondo (trainwreck at everything) for me is one of the all-time head scratching moves.

Quiet as kept, Gay dogged it last year, especially defensively. He needs to lock in if they are going to have a shot.

Honestly, I'd probably try to deal:

1. Rudy Gay & James Anderson for Markieff Morris & T.J. Warren. Depending on what you think of Warren he could be the new starting SF or first F off the bench.

2. Rajon Rondo, Caron Butler & a 2nd rd pick to Miami for Josh McRoberts, Mario Chalmers & James Ennis (more of a salary dump from Miami's perspective).

C DeMarcus Cousins > Kosta Koufos > Willie Cauley-Stein
F Markieff Morris > Josh McRoberts > Quincy Acy
F T.J. Warren > James Ennis > Omri Casspi
G Ben McLemore > Mario Chalmers > Marco Belinelli
G Darren Collison > Seth Curry > David Stockton

> Sac can still go big if they want to but with Kieff & McRoberts at PF, it provides more skill at the 4 with better spacing. Lineups featuring Morris or McRoberts should mean a field day for Cousins with more room to operate.

> McLemore has settled in as a nice low usage role player. He's a solid asset and developing defender.

> Collison is ok at starting PG. I like Curry/Stockton as low cost backups. An overall upgrade is needed but Ty Lawson was already dealt.

>Chalmers is a better as an off-the-ball SG were he can focus on spotting up/slashing & defending. He struggles mightily as a PG unless there's a dominant ball-handler a la LeBron.

>Replacing Gay with Warren & Ennis on the perimeter exchanges a guy who was a bit of slacker (and had little fire) for two hungry prospects in need of opportunity.

I think the team is better balanced. Playoffs in the West are incredibly tough. I see this team as playoffs in the East but likely 45 wins in the West which will still leave them a few games short of the goal. IMO, that may be better than an all-in scenario where your sacrificing a long term asset like Cauley-Stein or McLemore.

Rondo was chosen for his specific fit with what this staff is trying to do. His production doesn't need to resemble what it did on an ill fitting Mavs team.

There are a lot of unknowns. The roster was just renovated itself

Is the staff is trying to make Cousins play 1 on 5?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#60 » by Golabki » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:04 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:This one is easy...

I would love to see Horford and Korver on this team. They would compliment what we are trying to do so well. The problem is that we give up so much of our youth and take on a huge risk that Horford leaves in the offseason. Yes this team could make noise if they made the trade, but if we lost Horford in the offseason, the team would be horrible.

Why not trade Gay and lotto protected first for LBJ as the follow up

Return to Trades and Transactions