Blazers - Wolves - Sixers (Lillard to Minny)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#61 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 pm

Lavine is not a potential AS, if you're being optimistic then he has the potential to be an AS eventually. Semantics being necessary.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Re: Blazers - Wolves - Sixers (Lillard to Minny) 

Post#62 » by Golabki » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Northern hoops wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Northern hoops wrote:We'll see how that dollar works for you next year :wink:

Really?...we now have some Wolves fans flicking crap at another team's fans about their team being bad? Minny has been in the lottery for 11 straight seasons. Their last playoff appearance was in 2004. And there a very real chance the streak will extend to 12 straight in the lottery by next May. I've seen predictions here for several years running that the next season would be when the Wolves make the playoffs. "just wait...you'll see". I guess it's the broken watch approach...eventually, the time will be right

in the last decade, Portland has had about 1/3 the lottery picks as Minny; they have endured the the losses of Brandon Roy and Greg Oden due to injury. Now, they have lost 4 of last year's starters to free agency and trade. And still, they might be better next season then Minnesota. Should Minny fans really spend any time trashing another team's players and prospects?

I am by no means saying that Minnesota is a powerhouse franchise by any means. Sure, we're on the rise, but have been the worst for the last 10 years. What I'm saying is I have seen way too many times, when a team thinks they're set because they have that 2nd tier level player. See Kevin Love. We raved about our team when he was the center piece and had formidable players around him and sure we had injuries, but we thought we had enough to make the playoffs but we didn't.
My point is, I don't think a team centered around Dame can be a contender. Which leads to the thought of trading him for smaller potential pieces, to go for a full rebuild and get that potential superstar.

I agree dame isn't capable of being the best player on a contender... But he could be the second best and he's locked into a very reasonable deal.

That's worth a lot more than a laundry list of middling assets.
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#63 » by Northern hoops » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:03 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Lavine is not a potential AS, he has the potential to be an AS eventually if you're optimistic.

Aren't those the same thing?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#64 » by Golabki » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:11 pm

Northern hoops wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Northern hoops wrote:See that's exactly my point. You're dollar isn't worth anything because it isn't surrounded by 50 cent pieces. I'm saying that some "change" does matter when you have 5 people on the court, because you need 5, not 1.

So Portland should trade Lillard for a collection of lesser assets because "you need 5, not 1"?

Let's put it this way. And by no means do I mean they're equal, but would you rather have Kyrie Irving or Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green, and Bogut? Success in today's NBA is moving away from superstar pair and trios and moving towards team basketball. Ex. Warriors and Spurs.
I'm not saying that Portland should be all over this deal. But I do think Portland fans saying that offer isn't in the ballpark is foolish.

Bazz/dieng/lavine is not even remotely close to those 3 GSW guys
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#65 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:11 pm

Northern hoops wrote:I am simply arguing that this package isn't a bad one for an all star if Portland looked to retool, which I think would probably be a good idea.

I don't want to get into a back and forth about value, although I would be curious to see how the debate between McCollum/Vonleh/Leonard versus LaVine/Shabazz/Dieng would play out, so I am trying to argue the logic of a move rather than the value.

It only makes sense to trade your star if you are getting a centerpiece player in return.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#66 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Northern hoops wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Lavine is not a potential AS, he has the potential to be an AS eventually if you're optimistic.

Aren't those the same thing?

Semantics, altho necessary imo. Potential All-Star usually insinuates the immediate possibility of being an AS, Lavine's future is more ambiguous.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#67 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:05 pm

As I've just said on another thread, I just don't buy the Lavine hype that a lot of Minnie fans do. He's freakishly athletic (comparable to Wiggins in that sense imo) and yes he isn't a bad shooter, however his athleticism (which is his standout area) hasn't/won't translate in the way some people think it will imo.

Wiggins is a freak athlete whose athleticism has translated on both ends of the floor, and I'm convinced he'll be a superstar. As for Lavine, I honestly see no realistic chance of him ever being an All Star imo (just my opinion based off the eye test). Hence why any deal with him being the most valuable piece in a Lillard trade is a definite no from me. I see a bunch of future good role players coming from Minnesota's side of the deal which just doesn't provide any incentive to trade Lillard.

Just because Lillard may never be a superstar 'first option on a contender' in the future absolutely doesn't mean you trade him away. Superstars are rare, and it's a poor option targeting that strategy imo.

A much better option would be keeping Lillard and hoping another All Star can join him in the future through the ranks/draft/free-agency to be that LMA kind of player (i.e. a 1a and 1b).
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#68 » by Streakers33 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 2:26 pm

Great debate. And neither team would do this. We are both big on the "collecting assists" train atm and all hope our rebuilds are swift. Or in our case in mn... Soon.

Good luck to u!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Trades and Transactions