Knicks / Heat / Celtics pretty big deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Knicks / Heat / Celtics pretty big deal 

Post#1 » by Ricepilar » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:00 am

Knicks trade Carmelo Anthony and Langston Galloway
Knicks get Justise Winslow, Chris Andersen, Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones, Evan Turner, James Ennis

Heat trade Justise Winslow, Chris Andersen, James Ennis, Luol Deng
Heat get Carmelo Anthony and Langston Galloway

Celtics trade Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones, Evan Turner
Celtics get Luol Deng

Why for NY?
Knicks move on from Melo and get a blue chipper back in Justise Winslow. They also save a ton of money and get cheap looks at some young players.

Why for Miami?
They push their chips in at a time when the east is wide open. The Cavs have injury concerns and no one else is that good. It's possible they could make the finals.

Why for Boston?
They make a needed consolidation move, picking up a good vet in the process. Deng and Crowder would be a good combo at the 3.
dragula15
Junior
And1: 293

Re: Knicks / Heat / Celtics pretty big deal 

Post#2 » by dragula15 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:49 am

Way too many players moving, and no assets in the form of picks. knicks have little use for guys like Sullinger, Young, Anderson, when they're set on Porzingis and are 2 or 3 deep at each position already. The only trade from NY i see happening is one that rids them of Calderon.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#3 » by marcush » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 am

not sure why Boston is in this trade but the Winslow and Deng for Melo is something which would be interesting for both teams.

NY could on trade Deng for a 1st rounder, pair KP and Winslow who could loom as a nice 2 way pairing in a couple of years time. I guess not owning their own first is a big disincentive but solidifies their future.

Heat can genuinely compete now. But they will be hella expensive and may prefer to just role with the cheap and promising Winslow.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#4 » by Austincys21 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:24 am

Deng, Winslow, Birdman, Ennis, and a 1st round pick for Elo.

But 1. I can't see NY parting with Melo
2. Boston won't give Sully for a rental in Deng who can leave. Unless they don't want Sully and retain him.

Dragic
Wade
Melo
Bosh
White side

That's a crazy lineup and I'd love to see Cavs Heat ECF so I'm all for the trade
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,868

Post#5 » by Paz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:32 am

The HEAT would have no perimeter defense if they traded both Winslow and Deng. All they'd have on the wings is Wade. Negative trade for the HEAT.
Ricepilar
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Ricepilar » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:25 am

marcush wrote:not sure why Boston is in this trade

marcush wrote:NY could on trade Deng for a 1st rounder

So basically, Boston is in the trade because I don't think the Knicks would really need Deng and I also don't see much of a trade market for him. Doubt anyone gives a first round pick for him.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#7 » by BBallFreak » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:33 am

I think I'd probably have to pass. Just not into Melo to Miami, though the lineup is intriguing. I'd also be very worried about our perimeter depth. Our top 3 guys would be Chalmers, Galloway, and Green. That's not great IMO. Maybe I should think more of Galloway, but I don't...
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#8 » by brackdan70 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 pm

I think your value is OK, but not sure any of the teams involved have a need or want to make these moves. I like it for the Knicks because they need to move on from Melo IMO.

I am pretty luke warm for the Cs. It does consolidate and gives the Cs a vet wing, but at this point in his career, your taking a chance that Deng will be any good moving forward.

If I am Miami I wouldn't trade Winslow for Melo. He won't be better than Melo this year....but I bet he will be the following year.
Sign here
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#9 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Deng is too old to be of interest to the Celtics

Carmello for Deng and Anderson may make basketball sense, but not financial sense for Miami. They trade defense for offense. But Mello isn't good enough to fetch Winslow as part of the package.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Really? Melo isn't worth a first or Winslow? He's arguably a top ten player if he's healthy and his contract isn't so awful in the new structure. His value is really getting underestimated.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#11 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Really? Melo isn't worth a first or Winslow? He's arguably a top ten player if he's healthy and his contract isn't so awful in the new structure. His value is really getting underestimated.

He's 31 years old and sat out a good part of last year with knee issues. He doesn't play much defense and he's a ball stopper. He's only been out of the first round of the playoffs once in his career.

I don't view him as a top 10 player at all. Maybe he was at one time but not now.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Really? Melo isn't worth a first or Winslow? He's arguably a top ten player if he's healthy and his contract isn't so awful in the new structure. His value is really getting underestimated.

He is. The Melo hate is getting a little ridiculous. He's a primary scoring option and a lot of teams don't have one. When defenses stiffen up in the 4th quarter, teams need someone who can get their own shots. I'm not sure this trade makes sense for the teams involved.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#13 » by Laimbeer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

He is. The Melo hate is getting a little ridiculous. He's a primary scoring option and a lot of teams don't have one. When defenses stiffen up in the 4th quarter, teams need someone who can get their own shots. I'm not sure this trade makes sense for the teams involved.

I'd strongly consider it as the Heat. They're win now, and the window is limited. Not sure about the Knicks. It makes some sense in a vacuum, but Melo is something of an icon there.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#14 » by BBallFreak » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I'd strongly consider it as the Heat. They're win now, and the window is limited. Not sure about the Knicks. It makes some sense in a vacuum, but Melo is something of an icon there.

I agree, we should strongly consider it. But in the end, with Melo's injury concerns, combined with Wade's, and our newly depleted wing depth (thanks to this trade) I think we have to turn it down. Maybe if Galloway were replaced by a small forward with some ability, or we add a quality free agent small forward I'm overlooking, then we could do something, Otherwise, I just don't see it. You might think having a backup for Melo as being a relatively minor stumbling block, but I think this late in the game, it's a very real issue. He's got legit injury concerns, as does Wade.

I don't know, maybe send Turner here and Galloway to Boston, or flip Chalmers elsewhere for a decent role playing small forward...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'd strongly consider it as the Heat. They're win now, and the window is limited. Not sure about the Knicks. It makes some sense in a vacuum, but Melo is something of an icon there.

They don't have Whiteside's Bird rights. I don't think they should tie up their cap space like that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#16 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm sure it has been proposed before, but the Melo trade that makes the most sense to me is straight up for Joe Johnson. For the Knicks it's a salary dump, although JJ also replaces some of Melo's scoring. It's also easier for Melo to waive his no trade if he can stay in NYC. For the Nets, it helps them stay respectable until they have first round picks again.

username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#17 » by username_taken » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Cut Boston out. No interest in veterans that old.
Ricepilar
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Ricepilar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:46 pm

username_taken wrote:Cut Boston out. No interest in veterans that old.

Like David Lee? Or Amir Johnson?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#19 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:03 am

Lee is jut expiring fodder. I'm not sure about Johnson, but he's only 28.

If Chicago wants to do Noah for Lee and a couple of second rounders, I'm fine with it. One rental for another.

Ricepilar
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Ricepilar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:28 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Lee is jut expiring fodder. I'm not sure about Johnson, but he's only 28.

If Chicago wants to do Noah for Lee and a couple of second rounders, I'm fine with it. One rental for another.

Wait, what? First off, Lee isn't expiring fodder. Gerald Wallace was expiring fodder. They wouldn't have flipped him for the more expensive Lee if they didn't want Lee to play. Secondly, Deng is 30 -- around the same age as Johnson. Lastly, why on earth would Chicago trade Noah for Lee and what does that have to do with this?

Return to Trades and Transactions