Most overrated move of the off season

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Re: Most overrated move of the off season 

Post#21 » by Saltine » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:52 am

Bennett to the Raptors.
;-)
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#22 » by nickhx2 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:50 am

paul pierce to an extent. he's gonna have a lot of meh games during the regular season and everyone's gonna think he was a waste of a signing. then he'll prove himself in the playoffs.

but for real most overrated move, ty lawson, ainec.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#23 » by N.O.R.E. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:13 am

Tyson Chandler for me. He doesnt improve the team much and is getting up there in years. I'd much rather give Len more PT to develop.
Hachmabash
Junior
And1: 216

Post#24 » by Hachmabash » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Batum to Charlotte. People seem to say he will make them better, that he is the guy they need, but I dont see it. He is not good enough on offence to make them better, he is not better defender then MKG, he wont be able to create for himself, and if they rely on him to do so, the precentages will be absolutely terrible. And he seems in decline for some reason also.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#25 » by HotelVitale » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Hachmabash wrote:Batum to Charlotte. People seem to say he will make them better, that he is the guy they need, but I dont see it. He is not good enough on offence to make them better, he is not better defender then MKG, he wont be able to create for himself, and if they rely on him to do so, the precentages will be absolutely terrible. And he seems in decline for some reason also.

Not loving Batum but not feeling the reasons you listed. He's obviously better on offense than G Henderson, so he does make them better; he's going to play with MKG frequently (and it's no shame to be not quite as good as MKG on D); he's been a solid 3rd/4th ceator for years, and Al J and Kemba will continue to be the highest usage guys; and his percentages have been quite good aside from last season (career average TS% around 59-60%).

The only question that matters for Batum is whether or not he can get over the slump of last season. If he doesn't he's still a modest plus addition who plays D, distributes, and stretches the floor (but prob won't be worth the cost of Vonleh plus a giant contract). If he does, he'll fill in some key holes on CHA and should be one of the better acquisitions of the offseason.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#26 » by LApwnd » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:07 am

Demarre to Tor....highest paid player on the team but not even gonna be the best player on the team....he had very high % of his shot assisted on, Tor one of worse assist per game team in the league
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#27 » by Gomagic44 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:42 am

Aldridge to Spurs.
Jackson to Detroit.
Carol to Toronto.
The Grizzlies.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Hachmabash wrote:Batum to Charlotte. People seem to say he will make them better, that he is the guy they need, but I dont see it. He is not good enough on offence to make them better, he is not better defender then MKG, he wont be able to create for himself, and if they rely on him to do so, the precentages will be absolutely terrible. And he seems in decline for some reason also.

I didn't realize anybody on this board outside of me even liked that trade for them. Pretty much everyone else was aghast at the idea of giving up Vonleh for him. Pretty sure this can't be an overrated move if everyone hates it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#29 » by Xman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 pm

I thought the Batum move was fair. I do not know why he played poorly last year - but before that he was a solid sniper and d guy. He way out played Chandler Parson 2 years ago in the playoffs.

My most overrated: Mathews to Dallas. That will be an albatross contract quickly.
Texas Chuck

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Xman wrote:
My most overrated: Mathews to Dallas. That will be an albatross contract quickly.

Again, please find really anyone who liked that deal. It can't be overrated if literally everyone says that contract was terrible for a guy coming off of that injury.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#31 » by bondom34 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 pm

I've seen mentions of Kanter and Matthews contracts and am confused as well. Not a single person I can recall said either of those were good contracts.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:05 pm

bondom34 wrote:I've seen mentions of Kanter and Matthews contracts and am confused as well. Not a single person I can recall said either of those were good contracts.

at least with Kanter you can defend the signing based on the Thunder being all-in on a title and deciding that having Kanter is better than no Kanter and there wasn't any other option. Like terrible contract, but still defensible signing taking the bigger picture into account.

I can't find any defense of the Matthews deal at all. Had the Mavs kept Jordan, you could defend in the same way you defend the Kanter deal--Dallas is pushing all-in(tho still not a contender imo) while Dirk is still around and so you gamble on Matthews(would have been a smaller contract too). But now its just an anchor on our cap as we try and collect assets and rebuild.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:

I didn't realize anybody on this board outside of me even liked that trade for them. Pretty much everyone else was aghast at the idea of giving up Vonleh for him. Pretty sure this can't be an overrated move if everyone hates it.

I thought it was one of those deals that could be good for both, if Charlotte can keep Batum around after this year. If he walks, then it was probably a bad deal.

And agreed with some of the other recent comments above. I don't know that Chandler/Matthews/Carroll/Reggie Jackson signings can really be called over-rated, when at best, they were mostly described on this forum as "necessary", or "backed into a corner" kind of signings. Definitely not high rated, nor enough to be called "over-rated".

Return to Trades and Transactions