Kings | Cavs

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Kings | Cavs 

Post#1 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Reality of this trade is low but I think interesting to debate...

Kings trade to Cavs Cousins + Koufos for Love + Mosgov

For Cavs:
+Cousins added to Irving gives them a very young inside-out pillars for long term core.
+Who doesn't want to see what LBJ slapping around Cousins can do for his career and potential in the East.
+Trading Love moves the expensive TT into starting role.
+Has the Love as third wheel and relationship with LBJ been over played?
C: Cousins/KK/AV
F: TT/LBJ/AV...some Cousins too at F
F: LBJ/Jefferson/Jones
G: Shumpert/JR/Delly
G: Irving/Mo/Delly

For Kings:
+Love traded to West coast becomes 1st option again, with his built in Robin (Gay), pass first PG (Rondo...Love looked great/comfortable paired with such in Rubio), and defensive wall behind him (Mosgov and WCS).
+Gives Karl and Kings organization a young-vet to build around (meaning not trading Cousins for youth/picks package).
C: Mosgov/WCS
F: Love/Gay...small ball
F: Gay/Casspi/Butler
G: McLemore/Belinelli
G: Rondo/Collison
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,957

Re: Kings | Cavs 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Kudos for really making me think on this one. I can see the upside, and the potential problems, both ways.

In the end, I think the Cavs decline simply because they have a lot more to lose by upsetting the apple cart.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,740

Post#3 » by mademan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:42 pm

I dont think the Cavs want to take a chance on someone as volatile as Cousins. Being on a team with Lebron puts you on a spotlight...do you think Cousins wouldve handled all the chit the media threw at Love last year as well as he did? It's even debatable if this actually makes the Cavs better at all
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#4 » by skones » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:04 pm

I think Cousins volatility is too much risk for Cleveland to take on.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,427

Post#5 » by JDR720 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:33 pm

I wouldn't do it as Sac. if they trade Cousins they need a complete rebuild, swapping Cousins for Love wont get them anywhere.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,775

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Cavs pass. Koufus would probably be third or fourth on our depth chart at center. I don't think Boogie, Kyrie and LBJ is as dynamic offensively in terms of spacing and ball movement. I could also see Boogie losing in on Kyrie during the regular season when Kyrie has one of the three assist games and puts up 30 points.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,076

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Setting aside DMC's volatility for the sake of argument, the big strengths of DMC (volume shot creation, drawing FTs, versatility) aren't nearly as important for CLE as for most teams. Cavs already don't have enough basketball to share between Kyrie, LBJ, and Love, so adding an even more high volume guy is big time diminishing returns. DMC obviously has the defensive advantage over Love and could be the bigger impact PO player, but he can't be an effective stretch player (despite his love for chucking 19 fters). Realistically you want the ball in LBJ's hands and a lot of floor for him to operate in, so a big post or pop guy isn't helping there.

It's possible DMC is flat-out good enough to make up for the rest of that stuff but Im not sure the risk of screwing up the Cavs' style is worth it. Plus I think Mozgov has separated himself a bit from Koufos over the past year, he's a very good dunk/D 5 for this team.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,079

Post#8 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:43 pm

As a Wolves fan I can tell you that Love surrounded by a group of average at best players isn't going to get a team to the playoffs. Trading Cousins for Love would pretty much lock Sacramento into a late lottery team for the near future.

If the Kings trade Cousins they really should do a complete tear down. Unfortunately, their trade with Philly gave away any draft advantage they could have had by being terrible. I'm really not sure what Sacramento can do at this point since they've mortgaged their future and the present is looking like a disaster.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#9 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 pm

wolves_89 wrote:As a Wolves fan I can tell you that Love surrounded by a group of average at best players isn't going to get a team to the playoffs. Trading Cousins for Love would pretty much lock Sacramento into a late lottery team for the near future.

If the Kings trade Cousins they really should do a complete tear down. Unfortunately, their trade with Philly gave away any draft advantage they could have had by being terrible. I'm really not sure what Sacramento can do at this point since they've mortgaged their future and the present is looking like a disaster.

I don't think Love in MN had the roster Kings would (and could) have around him. Mosgov and WCS present the rim protecting Love never had behind him while in MN (and which Love NEEDS). Not counting Cavs roster, Gay would be best player Love played next to in his whole career. And having a slasher/scorer like Gay was something Love's Wolves always seem to lack (and covet). Rondo would emulate the pass-first-Rubio-effect Love seem to cherish in MN. And Kings would have some cap to mold a team around Love, with the advantages of recruiting to Cali in a non-small market environment (could Love convince his college teammate Westbrook to join him in Cali?).

Now to your point Love in Sactown makes them a late lotto team...maybe. But looking at the lineup seems taylor made for what Love needs to have to become top 10 player/MVP candidate he was in MN...I think even more conducive to that level of production than what he had in MN.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#10 » by Austincys21 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 pm

JDR720 wrote:I wouldn't do it as Sac. if they trade Cousins they need a complete rebuild, swapping Cousins for Love wont get them anywhere.

Ya I agree. I'd trade him for picks and younger guys.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#11 » by Austincys21 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 pm

For the Cavs this is a yes!!!!!! I think if there's a team for Cousins it's this team

Thompson -Cousins is better than Love-Mozgov IMO. Plus Koufus and Vareajo off the bench, that front court is big and very good.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,079

Post#12 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:44 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I don't think Love in MN had the roster Kings would (and could) have around him. Mosgov and WCS present the rim protecting Love never had behind him while in MN (and which Love NEEDS). Not counting Cavs roster, Gay would be best player Love played next to in his whole career. And having a slasher/scorer like Gay was something Love's Wolves always seem to lack (and covet). Rondo would emulate the pass-first-Rubio-effect Love seem to cherish in MN. And Kings would have some cap to mold a team around Love, with the advantages of recruiting to Cali in a non-small market environment (could Love convince his college teammate Westbrook to join him in Cali?).

I think you are overrating the King's supporting cast. A lineup of Rondo/McLemore/Gay/Love/WCS isn't significantly better than a Rubio/Martin/Brewer/Love/Pekovic (during Love's last year in Minnesota). In a player by player comparison Rubio>Rondo, Martin>McLemore, Gay>Brewer, and Pekovic=WCS.

I also have serious doubts that any major free agent is going to sign with Sacramento when they are widely considered to be the worst run franchise in the NBA. Minnesota may have had trouble getting free agents, but the Kings aren't in any better position (didn't every free agent target turn down the Kings this off-season even when they offered more money?).
beb0p
Junior
And1: 51

Post#13 » by beb0p » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Dude, you don't trade away a guy that you said publicly is a vital part of your championship plan, the same guy who turn downed other options to stay with you. No way Cavs trade away Love, to do so would instantly discredit them. Future FA will think twice about signing there.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#14 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:36 am

wolves_89 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I don't think Love in MN had the roster Kings would (and could) have around him. Mosgov and WCS present the rim protecting Love never had behind him while in MN (and which Love NEEDS). Not counting Cavs roster, Gay would be best player Love played next to in his whole career. And having a slasher/scorer like Gay was something Love's Wolves always seem to lack (and covet). Rondo would emulate the pass-first-Rubio-effect Love seem to cherish in MN. And Kings would have some cap to mold a team around Love, with the advantages of recruiting to Cali in a non-small market environment (could Love convince his college teammate Westbrook to join him in Cali?).

I think you are overrating the King's supporting cast. A lineup of Rondo/McLemore/Gay/Love/WCS isn't significantly better than a Rubio/Martin/Brewer/Love/Pekovic (during Love's last year in Minnesota). In a player by player comparison Rubio>Rondo, Martin>McLemore, Gay>Brewer, and Pekovic=WCS.

I also have serious doubts that any major free agent is going to sign with Sacramento when they are widely considered to be the worst run franchise in the NBA. Minnesota may have had trouble getting free agents, but the Kings aren't in any better position (didn't every free agent target turn down the Kings this off-season even when they offered more money?).

Splitting hairs now but Mosgov/WCS > Pek...both in talent and fit next to Love. And the Rubio-Martin pairing is marginally better vs Rondo-McLemore. But Gay>>Brewer. However, my point more then player vs. player analysis, is fit and and roster makeup being much more Taylor made for Love with Kings vs. situation in MN. And it is.

And current dumpster fire that is Cousins lead Kings will not attract free agents. But how would a Love lead team attract free agents? Not sure a huge improvement, but for Love, at least vs. situation in MN, he wouldn't have small market, state of MN (vs. Cali) going against any of his recruiting efforts (and that was my point...how it would play out for Love, why I mentioned Westbrook).
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#15 » by yoyoboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:41 am

Pass. Too risky. We have a good thing going right now and while Cousins is insanely talented, he hasn't proven that he can be part of an even halfway decent basketball team, and let's face it, he can be a headcase. At least Love was able to win 40 games with the Wolves, and that was with a bad team in a tough West. Plus, I don't like the fit of the Cousins - TT pairing down low.

I don't really think it makes sense for Sacramento either. Love is a win now player. If they're trading Cousins, then they're blowing everything up, and would most likely want draft picks or really young players. Not a 27 year old Love and a 29 year old Mozgov.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#16 » by loserX » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:28 am

I can see the Kings being more interested in Love than the other way around. He was on a lottery team in Minnesota and couldn't wait to get out. When all the rumours of him leaving Cleveland for the Lakers or Knicks came up, he said "not a chance, I want to stay here and win".

If he got traded immediately after that to another lottery team I can't see him being too happy about. Then Sacramento is right back where they started: with a cranky star player.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,280

Post#17 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:30 am

Cousins
Thompson
James

Has horrible spacing
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
CBFAlex
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#18 » by CBFAlex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:26 am

it would probably work out but i really see no reason for cavs to do it, they have a good thing going, and i wished people would stop making up that love is unhappy in cleveland
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#19 » by Dupp » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 am

gswhoops wrote:

In the end, I think the Cavs decline simply because they have a lot more to lose by upsetting the apple cart.

This is basically what it comes down too.

Both teams probably say no. Cavs because why upset a good thing while competing even when the reward looks so juicy. Kings say no because they are giving up the significantly better player.
KingKyrie1
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#20 » by KingKyrie1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:11 pm

I would Love to see it for a month or so witha refund agreement...!
No way i'm risking that much though lol

Return to Trades and Transactions