Rockets/Knicks/Raptors - Dec 15th

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Rockets/Knicks/Raptors - Dec 15th 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Ill offer this idea for the Rockets to add solid veterans off the bench while getting future flexibility in draft picks, the Knicks upgrading their PG spot and the Raps landing a young, starting PF.

To Houston (Deal Lawson, Jones, Harrell, 2 2nds)
-Jose Calderon (2 years, $15.1 million)
-Luis Scola (1 year, $2.9 million)
-Derrick Williams (2 years, $4 million)
-2016 Raptors 1st round pick
-2017 Clippers 1st round pick via Toronto (lottery protected)

To New York (Deal Calderon, Williams, 2nd round pick)
-Ty Lawson (2 years, $25.6 milion)
-Montrelz Harrell (3 years, $3.1 million)

To Toronto (Deal Scola, 2 1st round picks)
-Terrence Jones (1 year, $2.5 million plus QO)
-2016 New York 2nd round pick via Houston
-2017 Houston 2nd round pick via New York
-2018 Houston 2nd round pick

Why?
-Rockets acquire a veteran backup PG in Calderon as Beverly becomes starter once he is healthy. Scola and Williams become part of PF rotation along with Montiejunas once he is healthy. This gives Rockets a better balance and better flexibility.

Beverly/Calderon/Terry
Harden/Thornton/McDaniels
Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
Williams/Montiejunas/Scola
Howard/Capella

Knicks get a starting PG in Lawson as Knicks sure up their starting 5 without jeopardizing much cap room flexibility for 2016.

Lawson/Galloway/Grant
Affalo/Vujacic/
Anthony/Early/Thomas
Porzingis/Amundson/Harrell
Lopez/Seraphin/O'Quinn

Raptors acquire forthcoming RFA Jones to solidify starting 4 with a young PF who compliment Jonas well with his athleticsm and shot blocking.

Lowry/Joseph/Wright
DeRozan/Ross/Powell
Carroll/Johnson/Caboclo
Jones/Patterson/Bennett
Valinciunas/Biyombo/Noguiera
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,825

Re: Rockets/Knicks/Raptors - Dec 15th 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Why is Toronto paying the price for the value the Knicks get? There just is no way to turn Calderon into Lawson plus get Harrell. So to correct that problem you introduced the Raps and had them overpay for Jones?

Really don't love this for Houston either, but its terrible for the Raps and unbelievable for the Knicks.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Why is Toronto paying the price for the value the Knicks get? There just is no way to turn Calderon into Lawson plus get Harrell. So to correct that problem you introduced the Raps and had them overpay for Jones?

Really don't love this for Houston either, but its terrible for the Raps and unbelievable for the Knicks.

Well the thought process was Rockets sell low on Lawson as 10+ games into the season, he just doesnt seem to be a fit in Houston. I think Houston is better off starting Beverly (25 mpg) once he is healthy (assuming by mid-Dec) and having Calderon as a complimentary backup PG (16-18 mpg). The Raptors, IMO get an ideal fit PF in Jones. The value for Raps is an established PF as an RFA and under 25 years old.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:18 pm

I actually don't know that I trust Lawson in the Triangle. Also it appears that Jackson is trying to add "good character" guys. Not sure that Lawson, with his many offcourt issues would be a good idea. Lawson obviously is the better talent and I'm a Harrell fan, but the potential character issues, the contract (which would likely prevent the Knicks from being able to sign a big name player) and the Knicks absolute lack of need for even more PF types (the Knicks have 6 guys who's best position is probably PF already on the roster) would rule this out for me. If Lawson was on an expiring contract, sure. But he's owned $13.5 million (compared to Calderon's $7.5 million) for next season and as it is the Knicks will need to scramble to try and clear enough cap space for a run at a max guy in 2016. Lawson isn't that good to throw that much cap away on.
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#5 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:20 pm

The Raptors will not do anything to help the Knicks, not that I think Lawson would help the Knicks. The Raptors get the worse of the Nuggets or Knicks pick, they have a vested interest in seeing the Knicks fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#6 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:I actually don't know that I trust Lawson in the Triangle. Also it appears that Jackson is trying to add "good character" guys. Not sure that Lawson, with his many offcourt issues would be a good idea. Lawson obviously is the better talent and I'm a Harrell fan, but the potential character issues, the contract (which would likely prevent the Knicks from being able to sign a big name player) and the Knicks absolute lack of need for even more PF types (the Knicks have 6 guys who's best position is probably PF already on the roster) would rule this out for me. If Lawson was on an expiring contract, sure. But he's owned $13.5 million (compared to Calderon's $7.5 million) for next season and as it is the Knicks will need to scramble to try and clear enough cap space for a run at a max guy in 2016. Lawson isn't that good to throw that much cap away on.

Lawson's contract is not guaranteed for next season, it was modified when he was dealt to Houston.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Swoosh_Stripes wrote:
moocow007 wrote:I actually don't know that I trust Lawson in the Triangle. Also it appears that Jackson is trying to add "good character" guys. Not sure that Lawson, with his many offcourt issues would be a good idea. Lawson obviously is the better talent and I'm a Harrell fan, but the potential character issues, the contract (which would likely prevent the Knicks from being able to sign a big name player) and the Knicks absolute lack of need for even more PF types (the Knicks have 6 guys who's best position is probably PF already on the roster) would rule this out for me. If Lawson was on an expiring contract, sure. But he's owned $13.5 million (compared to Calderon's $7.5 million) for next season and as it is the Knicks will need to scramble to try and clear enough cap space for a run at a max guy in 2016. Lawson isn't that good to throw that much cap away on.

Lawson's contract is not guaranteed for next season, it was modified when he was dealt to Houston.

Really? Then sure, let's do it. :D
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#8 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Ill offer this idea for the Rockets to add solid veterans off the bench while getting future flexibility in draft picks, the Knicks upgrading their PG spot and the Raps landing a young, starting PF.

To Houston (Deal Lawson, Jones, Harrell, 2 2nds)
-Jose Calderon (2 years, $15.1 million)
-Luis Scola (1 year, $2.9 million)
-Derrick Williams (2 years, $4 million)
-2016 Raptors 1st round pick
-2017 Clippers 1st round pick via Toronto (lottery protected)

To New York (Deal Calderon, Williams, 2nd round pick)
-Ty Lawson (2 years, $25.6 milion)
-Montrelz Harrell (3 years, $3.1 million)

To Toronto (Deal Scola, 2 1st round picks)
-Terrence Jones (1 year, $2.5 million plus QO)
-2016 New York 2nd round pick via Houston
-2017 Houston 2nd round pick via New York
-2018 Houston 2nd round pick

Why?
-Rockets acquire a veteran backup PG in Calderon as Beverly becomes starter once he is healthy. Scola and Williams become part of PF rotation along with Montiejunas once he is healthy. This gives Rockets a better balance and better flexibility.

Beverly/Calderon/Terry
Harden/Thornton/McDaniels
Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
Williams/Montiejunas/Scola
Howard/Capella

Knicks get a starting PG in Lawson as Knicks sure up their starting 5 without jeopardizing much cap room flexibility for 2016.

Lawson/Galloway/Grant
Affalo/Vujacic/
Anthony/Early/Thomas
Porzingis/Amundson/Harrell
Lopez/Seraphin/O'Quinn

Raptors acquire forthcoming RFA Jones to solidify starting 4 with a young PF who compliment Jonas well with his athleticsm and shot blocking.

Lowry/Joseph/Wright
DeRozan/Ross/Powell
Carroll/Johnson/Caboclo
Jones/Patterson/Bennett
Valinciunas/Biyombo/Noguiera

How on earth does NY turn Calderon's abhorrence of a contract and Derrick Williams along with a 2nd into Lawson and Harrell? That's highway robbery.

I also don't think Jones is worth 2 firsts, but even if he was, why are the Rockets trading for future value while they're trying to make a run now? Scola doesn't move the needle much, and Calderon probably moves it in reverse.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Post#9 » by giberish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 pm

You're going to solve Houston's defensive issues by adding Calderon???

Maybe if the Knicks added Grant or at least Galloway it would make sense.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#10 » by wickedwrister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:23 pm

2 1sts for Jones? Dump Calderon AND get Lawson and Harrell?

Awful for Toronto although I do agree Jones would be a good fit there, just not at this price.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#11 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Does Toronto at least get bought a drink before we get screwed?
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#12 » by Xman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Reduce it to Scola and a first for Jones.

Return to Trades and Transactions