Best trade offer for Nerlens Noel

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Best trade offer for Nerlens Noel 

Post#141 » by BullyKing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:19 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't think anyone is going to give too much for Noel. They all know that the Sixers organization is cheap and will only retain good young players if they're convinced they're superstars who fit the roster. Noel is not. At some point, the Sixers will look to move him like they did MCW. And nobody is going to offer all that much for a guy who doesn't really have a position and is due to get a $20M+ a year raise.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like the Sixers will get nothing. But my guess is that they get a late lotto pick and filler. Something like that.

And yet the Sixers got top dollar (even more?) for MCW despite your unsupported belief that teams will not offer a lot for a player because the Sixers organization is cheap. I obviously don't agree with what you believe but your logic crumbles upon itself.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#142 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
nate33 wrote:I don't think anyone is going to give too much for Noel. They all know that the Sixers organization is cheap and will only retain good young players if they're convinced they're superstars who fit the roster. Noel is not. At some point, the Sixers will look to move him like they did MCW. And nobody is going to offer all that much for a guy who doesn't really have a position and is due to get a $20M+ a year raise.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like the Sixers will get nothing. But my guess is that they get a late lotto pick and filler. Something like that.

Sixers organization hasn't been cheap. They have spent top dollar trying to win one year, and been spending big around the franchise even while tanking.

And Noel clearly has a position. It just is center. Where he is incredibly gifted defensively.

I agree that he is best at center. I'm worried that he's too frail to hold up to the grind of playing center full time though.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#143 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 pm

BullyKing wrote:

And yet the Sixers got top dollar (even more?) for MCW despite your unsupported belief that teams will not offer a lot for a player because the Sixers organization is cheap. I obviously don't agree with what you believe but your logic crumbles upon itself.

Fair point. The Sixers might have gotten real good value for MCW - the protected pick from LA. We will see. If L.A. manages to tank into a top 3 pick this year, and then adds some good free agents in the summer, that pick might not be all that valuable.

But I maintain that the MCW trade is an indicator that Philly will likely trade Noel. And now that others know Philly's MO, Noel's value might drop. The issue is that Noel is going to cost a fortune to resign because of the cap and the number of teams with money available.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#144 » by BullyKing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Fair point. The Sixers might have gotten real good value for MCW - the protected pick from LA. We will see. If L.A. manages to tank into a top 3 pick this year, and then adds some good free agents in the summer, that pick might not be all that valuable.

But I maintain that the MCW trade is an indicator that Philly will likely trade Noel. And now that others know Philly's MO, Noel's value might drop. The issue is that Noel is going to cost a fortune to resign because of the cap and the number of teams with money available.

I don't think its fair to judge a trade with the benefit of hindsight knowing how the lottery balls play out but that's fine.

I also don't see why value would drop just because teams know the Sixers are willing to trade a guy like Noel. That team still has to make an offer the Sixers deem acceptable and beat the offer of any other interested team. Like anything else, his value will be determined by the market. Doesn't the "issue" that you point out with Noel apply to everyone equally? Unless you're saying that trading guys will return less than in the past because of the rising cap, which I disagree with, but is a different point entirely.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,944

Post#145 » by Prez » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 pm

sportscrazy wrote:Nerlens Noel for Jabari Parker?
Naaaah. Jabari has looked like an absolute beast in the making in recent games. Won't show on the stat sheet for obvious injury return reasons (minutes restriction, bringing him along slowly, etc), but physically he looks even better if it was possible, and skill-wise he's still Jabari. He's shown crazy potential in recent games and I think we should just wait and see what we have.
Jojothewhale
Junior
And1: 164

Post#146 » by Jojothewhale » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:15 pm

nate33 wrote:But I maintain that the MCW trade is an indicator that Philly will likely trade Noel.

This is fair, whether or not I agree with it. I would argue that the organization made an evaluation of MCW as a player and decided to move him, while the potential Noel trade would be fit rather than ability, which is something they have shown not to care a wit for as of yet. There's no proof and it's pretty difficult to be right or wrong. We're all just reading for context clues.

nate33 wrote:And now that others know Philly's MO, Noel's value might drop. The issue is that Noel is going to cost a fortune to resign because of the cap and the number of teams with money available.

At this point in the Sixers timeline, we're really all just talking passed each other on two sides of a fence. I get that some people are opposed to it on principle, and that's fine.

This is the part I simply don't understand, though. The Sixers sold (and high, I might add) on a player. Why does that all of a sudden become an MO that might in any way lower someone's value? If Noel was on the trading block, you're trying to tell me a team would offer less because MCW was traded a year or two or three prior? This is not an impeding UFA situation like a Carmelo where the player actually does have the leverage. You're talking about a guy with two more years left on his rookie deal who then becomes an RFA. Yes, he will need to be paid eventually. MCW was moved with basically half of a season more left on his rookie deal while being two and a half years older and it absolutely, positively did not hold his value down. If your argument is that MCW showed more in the NBA than Noel did, then we'll just never agree on anything and that's fine.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#147 » by sportscrazy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Milbuck wrote:
Naaaah. Jabari has looked like an absolute beast in the making in recent games. Won't show on the stat sheet for obvious injury return reasons (minutes restriction, bringing him along slowly, etc), but physically he looks even better if it was possible, and skill-wise he's still Jabari. He's shown crazy potential in recent games and I think we should just wait and see what we have.

Not a fan of either team, but what about Covington and Noel for Jabari?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#148 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:24 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
Milbuck wrote:

Not a fan of either team, but what about Covington and Noel for Jabari?

Bucks just signed Monroe to huge dollars. Only reason Noel would be moved is he is a center that isn't suited to play pf, and the reason Monroe wasn't re-signed by Detroit last year was... he is a center that isn't suited to play pf.

Seems like you are trying to force what could be one of the worst matches possible.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#149 » by sportscrazy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah if Monroe doesn't fit with Drummond and Noel doesn't fit with Okafor then it really doesn't make sense to pair them in Milwaukee.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#150 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 am

Jordan Clarkson our best player and we remove the top 3 protection. The pick could go top 3 w/ our bad record.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,767

Post#151 » by the_process » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Nicholson and Swaggy P to DET
Oladipo to LA
Landry, Noel, and protection removed from owed 2018 1st by LA to ORL
Blake, Anthony, and protection removed from owed 2016 1st by LA to PHI

This is not really enough, but it is certainly a moderation from earlier offers that were balked at, and this way we know the pick is conveying. Plus a little shakeup is needed, I think. Others will certainly disagree with multiple aspects of this.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#152 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm

oyoyer wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
oyoyer wrote:Oh I'm sorry, is Nick positive value now and I missed that?

Lol, 6mill is clealy destroying our cap situation......gtho, nobody is giving up 2 top 5 picks for Noel.

:lol: As if it's as simple as that. Russell clearly comes with mitigating factors to his draft position. Nick may not make a ton, but he's locked in for two more chuckerific years after this one, and every dollar in FA counts. You should know this, no team historically does better in FA than you guys. And after getting Noel (and Covington, we've added him to the proposal), you can flip Hibbert for more help so it's not even a guarantee your pick this year ends up top 5.

Lakers can stomach Nick's contract just fine though, particularly with the rising cap. The better move is to either waive and spread or just outright cut and eat the money. Or do him like Knicks did JR last season. The $ is not going to influence either team here so it's not worth discussing. If Noel was dealt for Russell it's because Noel projects as a role player and Sixers want to trade up for star potential. That means giving Lakers a pick.
It would actually be an act of mutual brilliance for Lakers to deal Russell who is supposed to be a star type player down the road despite troubles for an opportunity to strengthen their tank. Sixers are guaranteed no better than pick #4 in this years draft without this deal.
I would propose DR and Nance for Noel and Lakers first round pick. In essence it looks more like #2 pick and #27 pick in 2015 for Noel and "at best" #4 in 2016.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#153 » by LApwnd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:22 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
oyoyer wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Lol, 6mill is clealy destroying our cap situation......gtho, nobody is giving up 2 top 5 picks for Noel.

:lol: As if it's as simple as that. Russell clearly comes with mitigating factors to his draft position. Nick may not make a ton, but he's locked in for two more chuckerific years after this one, and every dollar in FA counts. You should know this, no team historically does better in FA than you guys. And after getting Noel (and Covington, we've added him to the proposal), you can flip Hibbert for more help so it's not even a guarantee your pick this year ends up top 5.

Lakers can stomach Nick's contract just fine though, particularly with the rising cap. The better move is to either waive and spread or just outright cut and eat the money. Or do him like Knicks did JR last season. The $ is not going to influence either team here so it's not worth discussing. If Noel was dealt for Russell it's because Noel projects as a role player and Sixers want to trade up for star potential. That means giving Lakers a pick.
It would actually be an act of mutual brilliance for Lakers to deal Russell who is supposed to be a star type player down the road despite troubles for an opportunity to strengthen their tank. Sixers are guaranteed no better than pick #4 in this years draft without this deal.
I would propose DR and Nance for Noel and Lakers first round pick. In essence it looks more like #2 pick and #27 pick in 2015 for Noel and "at best" #4 in 2016.

at this rate, whose to say lakers wont have the worse record at the end of the year :lol:.........I really dont think mgmt. is giving up on Russell that easily and if the worse we do is lose the 4th pick, is the 4th pick really going to get someone better than Russel, or at least potentially better? I know DR isn't playing up to his draft mates lvl but all 3 in the top 4 doing better than him are bigs and NONE have to deal with playing with Kobe
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#154 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 pm

LApwnd wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
oyoyer wrote:

at this rate, whose to say lakers wont have the worse record at the end of the year :lol:.........I really dont think mgmt. is giving up on Russell that easily and if the worse we do is lose the 4th pick, is the 4th pick really going to get someone better than Russel, or at least potentially better? I know DR isn't playing up to his draft mates lvl but all 3 in the top 4 doing better than him are bigs and NONE have to deal with playing with Kobe

the pick given to philly is top-3 protected and obviously at some point that protection expires. The benefit for LA here is that you gain Noel who may be a good role player (think Marcus Camby, Keon Clark mold) and also ensure that you get an extra lotto pick whether it be the 4 and above pick from this season, a 4 and above next season or a 1-30 pick in 2018.

Giving up on Russell here is not really giving up on Russell, rather it's acknowledging that right now if you are going to play Lou Will, Kobe and Swaggy, you are basically wasting a year of this kids life and reducing his ceiling.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#155 » by BullyKing » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

the pick given to philly is top-3 protected and obviously at some point that protection expires. The benefit for LA here is that you gain Noel who may be a good role player (think Marcus Camby, Keon Clark mold) and also ensure that you get an extra lotto pick whether it be the 4 and above pick from this season, a 4 and above next season or a 1-30 pick in 2018.

Giving up on Russell here is not really giving up on Russell, rather it's acknowledging that right now if you are going to play Lou Will, Kobe and Swaggy, you are basically wasting a year of this kids life and reducing his ceiling.

Sixers might be willing to add a pick to a Noel for Russell swap but it wouldn't be the Lakers pick.
NYSixersFan wrote:
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#156 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:28 pm

nate33 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Sixers organization hasn't been cheap. They have spent top dollar trying to win one year, and been spending big around the franchise even while tanking.

And Noel clearly has a position. It just is center. Where he is incredibly gifted defensively.

I agree that he is best at center. I'm worried that he's too frail to hold up to the grind of playing center full time though.

That's been said before. Noel will be fine and at times he may be paired with a stretch 5.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#157 » by AingesBurner » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:51 am

I just don't think Noel is worth much, he's tall and that's about it, to small to be a defensive threat at center and can't play PF, never really was a fan and thought he was over hyped, best he gets is a young player and a protected pick.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,601

Post#158 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:18 am

GobertReport wrote:I just don't think Noel is worth much, he's tall and that's about it, to small to be a defensive threat at center and can't play PF, never really was a fan and thought he was over hyped, best he gets is a young player and a protected pick.

He managed amazing defensive numbers at center despite that.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#159 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:29 am

GobertReport wrote:I just don't think Noel is worth much, he's tall and that's about it, to small to be a defensive threat at center and can't play PF, never really was a fan and thought he was over hyped, best he gets is a young player and a protected pick.

He was good defensively at C last season. The key with Noel is that he has to play in a lot of space (Philly has the opposite of that right now) and basically needs to be spoonfed his offense at this stage.

If he has enough space on offense to dive to the rim and be used like DJordan , he can be effective at C

Return to Trades and Transactions