Availability of WCS?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Availability of WCS? 

Post#1 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 am

The Lakers suck - obviously - but i've seen positive signs from both Randle and Russell, so i'm thinking they're good pieces to build around. In that regard, i'm thinking that the perfect 5 to complement those two going forward would be Willie Caulie-Stein.

What would it take to get him and is it even possible with the pieces the Lakers have?
(Russ, Randle, possible top 3 is off the table, of course).

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
Bass, Clarkson, Lou Williams, ?? for WCS and whatever other pieces you wanna get rid of.

The Kings are 5-10, but only 1 game out of the playoff picture and Boogie has been out for 5 games (all losses), so this may be the year where the Kings can make the playoffs (if Boogie is healthy of course). This deal would help the Kings immediately and give them some security going forward in their back-court and with both Boogie and Kosta in their prime, i think they can live without a third big man.
Is this way off?

From the Lakers point of view, they essentially move a nice young asset (Clarkson) for another nice young asset in WCS, who fits a lot better with the Lakers' plans. Bass and Lou are not going to be on the next Laker playoff team anyway, but they still are pretty good for a team aiming to make the playoffs now.

Thoughts?
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 484

Re: Availability of WCS? 

Post#2 » by bpcox05 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:The Lakers suck - obviously - but i've seen positive signs from both Randle and Russell, so i'm thinking they're good pieces to build around. In that regard, i'm thinking that the perfect 5 to complement those two going forward would be Willie Caulie-Stein.

What would it take to get him and is it even possible with the pieces the Lakers have?

Bass, Clarkson, Lou Williams, ?? for WCS and whatever other pieces you wanna get rid of.

The Kings are 5-10, but only 1 game out of the playoff picture and Boogie has been out for 5 games (all losses), so this may be the year where the Kings can make the playoffs (if Boogie is healthy of course). This deal would help the Kings immediately and give them some security going forward in their back-court and with both Boogie and Kosta in their prime, i think they can live without a third big man.
Is this way off?

From the Lakers point of view, they essentially move a nice young asset (Clarkson) for another nice young asset in WCS, who fits a lot better with the Lakers' plans. Bass and Lou are not going to be on the next Laker playoff team anyway, but they still are pretty good for a team aiming to make the playoffs now.

Thoughts?

I don't see any deal that could be made with the Lakers. Our guard rotation is already set with Rondo/Collison/McLemore/Belinelli so Clarkson and Williams would be redundant.

Many Kings fans are actually very impressed with Cauley-Stein this year. It's very obvious the impact he has on a game when he is in. However, George Karl needs to stop messing around with moronic rotations and play the man. This isn't a 1 and done rookie. He was in college for 3 years, and he has already shown he can hang in the NBA.

His defense is too valuable to be left on the bench, and his skillset compliments Cousins very nicely. I think most of us see our frontcourt of the future as Cousins/Cauley-Stein and we are very excited about that.

Cauley-Stein can definitely help us win this year. His defense is already that good. In fact when Cousins is healthy, we are 4-1 when Karl decides to play our 3 bigs (Cousins/Koufos/Cauley-Stein) more than 70 minutes per game. Not to mention that among lineups that have played at least 7 minutes this year, Cauley-Stein is included in the top 3 lineups with the largest +/- differential. Once Karl figures out that small ball does not suit his roster, we should get into a groove. Karl has been a big disappointment so far. Let's hope he gets his head out of his *** soon and starts playing to this team's strengths.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#3 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

^ I somewhat agree with your take on the bigs, but i'm not as high on your back-court as you are. Rondo is ok, but he's a FA next summer. Bellinelli, McLemore and Collison also are ok, but they all seem like they should be backups, whereas both Lou and Clarkson could be starters.

Nevertheless, i agree that WCS really have looked good and much like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson in Brooklyn, he seems like a guy that gets you wins rather than individual numbers, which of course is the reason why i want him in LA.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,808

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 pm

C'mon man. You want a guy who was just picked #6 overall and has looked good so far, and you're taking your three best assets off the table?

Not gonna happen. Not close to enough value. Clarkson is the only piece worth talking about in this offer, and he doesn't get you close to WCS.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 484

Post#5 » by bpcox05 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:^ I somewhat agree with your take on the bigs, but i'm not as high on your back-court as you are. Rondo is ok, but he's a FA next summer. Bellinelli, McLemore and Collison also are ok, but they all seem like they should be backups, whereas both Lou and Clarkson could be starters.

Nevertheless, i agree that WCS really have looked good and much like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson in Brooklyn, he seems like a guy that gets you wins rather than individual numbers, which of course is the reason why i want him in LA.

Regarding our backcourt, Rondo has been way better than "ok." He's been playing at an extremely high level. He's been our 2nd best player behind Cousins this year. He's playing like he did before his injury (all-star level). This year's stats compared to his 4 years as an all-star are below.

45% FG / 35% 3PT / 12.7 PPG / 7.6 RPG / 10.8 APG / 2.1 SPG / 4.0 TOPG (this year)
48% FG / 24% 3PT / 13.7 PPG / 5.6 RPG / 11.1 APG / 1.8 SPG / 3.9 TOPG
45% FG / 24% 3PT / 11.9 PPG / 4.8 RPG / 11.7 APG / 1.8 SPG / 3.6 TOPG
48% FG / 23% 3PT / 10.6 PPG / 4.4 RPG / 11.2 APG / 2.3 SPG / 3.4 TOPG
51% FG / 21% 3PT / 13.7 PPG / 4.4 RPG / 9.8 APG / 2.3 SPG / 3.0 TOPG

Collison is a great bench PG to have. He averaged 16 PPG & 6 APG starting for us last year. You can do far worse as a sixth man especially when you have an additional shooter/scorer in Belinelli to add to the bench mop. Even McLemore's shot has come around (43% from three), and he's been playing good defense as well. Our guards are not a weakness by any means.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,606

Post#6 » by jpengland » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:39 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:The Lakers suck - obviously - but i've seen positive signs from both Randle and Russell, so i'm thinking they're good pieces to build around. In that regard, i'm thinking that the perfect 5 to complement those two going forward would be Willie Caulie-Stein.

Is this way off?

Thoughts?

I don't see any deal that could be made with the Lakers. Our guard rotation is already set with Rondo/Collison/McLemore/Belinelli so Clarkson and Williams would be redundant.

Whilst I agree that moving WCS for the trash being offered is not a good move for the Kings. Suggesting that the guard rotation is 'set' is ludicrous. You are currently 5-10, during a season that Kings fans were assuring us they were going to be in the playoffs. Nothing is 'set' in Sacramento - you are still a way off being a playoff team, nevermind a contender. Everything is available, nothing is set. If you can get better, you get better.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#7 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 pm

gswhoops wrote:C'mon man. You want a guy who was just picked #6 overall and has looked good so far, and you're taking your three best assets off the table?

Not gonna happen. Not close to enough value. Clarkson is the only piece worth talking about in this offer, and he doesn't get you close to WCS.

I asked what it would take and if was possible without giving up the three best assets, that's all. People generally agree that it isn't enough, which i tend to agree with as well.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,366

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm

yeah Lakers have nothing to interest the Kings for WCS.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#9 » by LoyalKing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:20 pm

The only dude we've nailed in the draft since Cousinsand the Lakers want him for peanuts? Nah, not happening.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't trade WCS for any player that the Lakers has, including Randle or Russell.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,592

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:54 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:^ I somewhat agree with your take on the bigs, but i'm not as high on your back-court as you are. Rondo is ok, but he's a FA next summer. Bellinelli, McLemore and Collison also are ok, but they all seem like they should be backups, whereas both Lou and Clarkson could be starters.

So wait a minute. In what world would either of those players start for us? Clarkson would be our 3rd best point guard and it's not really close. Belly is like a much more effecient version of Lou Will as in a guy who can come off the bench and light it up.

Obviously kings fans understand that we can always upgrade but neither of those players are upgrades.

This is not a counter offer because realgm frowns upon that but what you are offering in reverse would be like us saying we like Russell, we will give you Mclemore, Caron Butler and Acy. It's just not even close..
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,455

Post#11 » by rpa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm

I hate threads like this.

"There's this player I really want on my team, but he's on another team. I really like him and think he can help my team win. But I don't want to give up anything of value for him. Hey, other team's fans, I know you really like him, but can you think of a way I can turn a bunch of assets that neither of us want into the player we both like, and that you have? Thanks"

If you want a player that another team likes then prepare to give up something that you like just as much. Period.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Post#12 » by R-DAWG » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 pm

The only thing that could potentially make sense for the Lakers and Kings is a Cauley-Stein for Randle swap. Not sure either team does it though.

Lakers have assembled some nice young pieces over the past few years with Russell, Randle, Clarkson, and Nance Jr
loserX
And1: 26,047

Post#13 » by loserX » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't really see him being available at all. We all know how complicated things are in that organization...drafting WCS seemed to be the *one* thing that Boogie, Karl and the FO have all agreed on. You'd have to work pretty hard to pry him free.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,432

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Orlando would beat that offer and play WCS next to Vuc.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Re: RE: Re: Availability of WCS? 

Post#15 » by californiadude » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Orlando would beat that offer and play WCS next to Vuc.

Why would you play him next Vuc when Gordon is a much better fit?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,432

Re: RE: Re: Availability of WCS? 

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:03 pm

californiadude wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Orlando would beat that offer and play WCS next to Vuc.

Why would you play him next Vuc when Gordon is a much better fit?

Gordon is a small 4 who can't guard opposing team's centers.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#17 » by Kings2013 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 am

jpengland wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:

Is this way off?

Thoughts?

Whilst I agree that moving WCS for the trash being offered is not a good move for the Kings. Suggesting that the guard rotation is 'set' is ludicrous. You are currently 5-10, during a season that Kings fans were assuring us they were going to be in the playoffs. Nothing is 'set' in Sacramento - you are still a way off being a playoff team, nevermind a contender. Everything is available, nothing is set. If you can get better, you get better.

?. No one was assuring anyone that we were a playoff team. A team was just thrown together and has played a tough schedule without its star player for a lot of it. This year is about competing but the talent level we feel is largely fine but needs to come together. This year is only about setting a competitive base. Change isn't needed, cohesion and chemistry are
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,606

Post#18 » by jpengland » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 am

Kings2013 wrote:
jpengland wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:

?. No one was assuring anyone that we were a playoff team. A team was just thrown together and has played a tough schedule without its star player for a lot of it. This year is about competing but the talent level we feel is largely fine but needs to come together. This year is only about setting a competitive base. Change isn't needed, cohesion and chemistry are

If Rondo and McLemore are the answer, you are asking the wrong question.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#19 » by Kings2013 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am

jpengland wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:
jpengland wrote:

If Rondo and McLemore are the answer, you are asking the wrong question.

But Deron Williams and Wes Matthews are?

It's not known whether or not they are. Are we going to disrespect Rondo based on his reputation and not being the current assist leader? Like Rudy Gay? McLemore is averaging 43/43 percentages and has the tools to be a good defender, we will see. He's 22. Let the process unfold
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#20 » by teerfour+40LG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:39 am

I watched the Lakers play tonight. You're not getting him.

Return to Trades and Transactions