Bulls-Mem

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Bulls-Mem 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:32 pm

One new twist

Pau/Dunleavy/Snell

Green/Adams/Martin
Bulls get right to swap draft picks, top 10 protected

Mem gets Marc's brother-dunleavy a nice bench shooter. Snell is a 4th wing, at best

Bulls D gets elite again-don't know much about Martin or Adams, but they are cheap depth for now

Rose/Kirk/Brooks/Moore
Butler/Moore/Kirk/Martin
Green/Dougie/Butler
Niko/Taj/Green/Portis
Noah/Taj/Portis/Adams

This clears cap space for next season too. Green gives us the ability to play small ball, with Taj at center. Our D would be better, and more time for Portis to develop-plus a pick swap
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Bulls-Mem 

Post#2 » by loserX » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:13 pm

I don't understand "Bulls D gets elite again". Because of Jeff Green? Or because Pau is that bad?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,820

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:22 pm

loserX wrote:I don't understand "Bulls D gets elite again". Because of Jeff Green? Or because Pau is that bad?

Pretty much any defensive metric you want to choose shows Pau being one of if not the Bulls' best defender. Butler has the reputation of course, but Pau has always been a better defender than given credit for and being allowed to play center as opposed to PF only helps him.

Best drtg on the Bulls
2m best drb% on the Bulls
Best DWS
Best DBPM
2 blocks a game
8 defensive boards a game
Opponents shoot 4% worse against Pau than they do against other defenders including 9% inside of 6 feet(defends rim well)

I fail to see Pau being any kind of issue on what remains a very good defense.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#4 » by pipfan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Pau is good around the basket, but the rest of his D sucks bad

We start Noah (better on D) and Green (better than Dunleavy/Doug/Snell).
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,820

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:55 pm

pipfan wrote:Pau is good around the basket, but the rest of his D sucks bad

He's a center and he's 35. It shouldn't surprise you that he's not a great perimeter defender. But he's certainly not a liability and of course he remains a quite useful offensive player as well. And on that contract, he's really the least of the Bull's problems.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:04 am

Yeah, I think *if* you're going to trade Pau it should be as part of a full-on rebuild, not tweaks. He defends the post well and you need his offence; the Bulls are #6 in defensive efficiency and #26(!) in offensive efficiency, largely because you're still one of the worst shooting teams in the league. I'd focus on that before moving Pau to improve your perimeter defence.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#7 » by PlayerUp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:36 pm

loserX wrote:Yeah, I think *if* you're going to trade Pau it should be as part of a full-on rebuild, not tweaks. He defends the post well and you need his offence; the Bulls are #6 in defensive efficiency and #26(!) in offensive efficiency, largely because you're still one of the worst shooting teams in the league. I'd focus on that before moving Pau to improve your perimeter defence.

Will add here that the Bulls are 4th in the league in 3PT Shooting Efficiency.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#8 » by PlayerUp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
loserX wrote:I fail to see Pau being any kind of issue on what remains a very good defense.

You're right for the most part. The core issue isn't addressed here by Pipfan. The Bulls frontcourt is loaded with 5 to 6 guys who could play decent minutes (Portis/Felicio/Mirotic/Noah/Taj/Gasol). Additionally, the frontcourt isn't clicking chemistry wise and not playing to their potential ever since Gasol was signed. They can either

A). Continue trying to build chemistry and make the roster work, OR
B). Break up the frontcourt roster which isn't clicking promoting guys while improving the backcourt
pipfan
RealGM

Post#9 » by pipfan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Here is what I figure-we are a second round team again. I would like them to shake it up. Pau is SO SLOW on D-obviously it is not his fault, he is old. But he has bad body language and effort.

This deal frees us up to play faster, and have better D. It also sets us up to go all in on KD, with Batum as the back up plan next summer
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#10 » by lakerhater » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:42 pm

The biggest problem I see for the Bulls is this puts them in a position where they have to rely on Noah playing more minutes while staying healthy for a playoff run. Do the Bulls really want to bet on Noah's health? I don't think so.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

This new twist seems to make it worse for Chicago. Martin is just a late first prospect, Adams is limping, and Snell learned how to shoot 3's. Dunleavy was just resigned so clearly the Bulls think he is decent - though pipfan doesn't like him.. And Gasol should be valued over Green clearly.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#12 » by sisibilio » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:18 pm

loserX wrote:Yeah, I think *if* you're going to trade Pau it should be as part of a full-on rebuild, not tweaks.

this ^^
Plus Memphis can't trade a 1st for like the next century
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#13 » by PlayerUp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 pm

lakerhater wrote:The biggest problem I see for the Bulls is this puts them in a position where they have to rely on Noah playing more minutes while staying healthy for a playoff run. Do the Bulls really want to bet on Noah's health? I don't think so.

Solution to that is you make Taj start with Mirotic which actually could be a solid rotation starting unit and may end up being the starting unit in 2016-17.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#14 » by lakerhater » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:53 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
lakerhater wrote:The biggest problem I see for the Bulls is this puts them in a position where they have to rely on Noah playing more minutes while staying healthy for a playoff run. Do the Bulls really want to bet on Noah's health? I don't think so.

Solution to that is you make Taj start with Mirotic which actually could be a solid rotation starting unit and may end up being the starting unit in 2016-17.

Playing a PF at center is only a part time solution and doesn't get the Bulls any closer to a title.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#15 » by pipfan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 am

I figure, we just limp to the playoffs this year. Noah can play 24 minutes a night, no problem. This frees up cap space for the future.
Bulls' fans are very tired of Snell-he gets a fresh start. Green/Butler is a nice wing rotation.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#16 » by PlayerUp » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:26 am

lakerhater wrote:Playing a PF at center is only a part time solution and doesn't get the Bulls any closer to a title.

Exactly. A part time solution which is what was happening in 2013-14 and worked just fine.

Playing a C who doesn't have chemistry with the rest of the team doesn't get the Bulls any closer to a title.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#17 » by lakerhater » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:29 am

PlayerUp wrote:
lakerhater wrote:Playing a PF at center is only a part time solution and doesn't get the Bulls any closer to a title.

Exactly. A part time solution which is what was happening in 2013-14 and worked just fine.

Playing a C who doesn't have chemistry with the rest of the team doesn't get the Bulls any closer to a title.

Sounds like we agree the Bulls aren't contenders and there's nothing they can do to change that.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#18 » by PlayerUp » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:00 am

lakerhater wrote:Sounds like we agree the Bulls aren't contenders and there's nothing they can do to change that.

Not true contenders no. Everyone knows that. Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, maybe the Thunder. That's about it right now.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#19 » by aramada » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
pipfan wrote:Pau is good around the basket, but the rest of his D sucks bad

He's a center and he's 35. It shouldn't surprise you that he's not a great perimeter defender. But he's certainly not a liability and of course he remains a quite useful offensive player as well. And on that contract, he's really the least of the Bull's problems.

He is a liability. His Pick and roll defense is abysmal and teams take advantage of it at will. Help defense is weak, too, as he is often slow to rotate

Return to Trades and Transactions