Where will Markieff Morris land?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Where will Markieff Morris land? 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:02 pm

My guess is Morris is traded, at the very latest, by the end of January. Where do you think he will land? Here are some ideas, but I'm more interested in working out which team would offer the best fit for his skillset and personality traits and how much he could possibly return in a trade.

Toronto Raptors

Trade: Patrick Patterson for Markieff Morris, 2016 2nd Round Pick (PHX), and 2020 2nd Round Pick (DET)

Why for the Suns?
Patrick Patterson is a great teammate, floor spacer, and smart overall player who should stabilize things in Phoenix's mercurial locker room. Morris has negative value at the moment due to his personality conflicts and off the court behaviour, but Patterson

Why for the Raptors?
It's a risk, but one that's worth taking given how wide open the East is this year. Morris gives the Raptors an added scorer, playmaker, and shooter at a position of need. Morris' existing relationship with Kyle Lowry, a formerly prickly player who has since reformed, should stabilize things a little once he arrives. The Raptors are gambling their season on this trade, which is why they get two future 2nds.

Houston Rockets

Trade: Terrence Jones, Corey Brewer for Markieff Morris, 2016 2nd Round Pick (PHX), and 2020 2nd Round Pick (DET)

Why for the Suns?
Terrence Jones is a young, talented player that fits the trajectory of the team's young nucleus. Brewer's contract is a lot to absorb and Jones is due for a new contract in the summer, but the talent makes it worthwhile.

Why for the Rockets?
Well, they've been rumoured to have interest ever since Morris became available. Despite that, I don't see the fit. The team is below .500 and struggling to find an identity. It's not exactly the best time to throw a potentially volatile player into a situation that has already proven volatile. New coach, difficult players, and a losing record doesn't really inspire confidence. I think the value is there for them, but I don't see how it fits otherwise.

Washington Wizards

Trade: Alan Anderson and Drew Gooden for Markieff Morris

Why for the Suns?
Offers a clean slate to move forward after Morris. No real value, but Morris is already getting DNP-CDs and suspended by the team.

Why for the Wizards?
They need a legitimate stretch 4 and Morris comes at the lowest cost.

Bonus Three Team Trade:

Raptors Receive: Markieff Morris, Jared Dudley
Wizards Receive: Patrick Patterson
Suns Receive: James Johnson

Raptors get two solid players for their playoff run.
Wizards get a stretch 4 without giving up too much value.
Suns shed $6M in salary this season and get an expiring deal.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Re: Where will Markieff Morris land? 

Post#2 » by sportscrazy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:46 pm

At this point with the Bledsoe injury, the coaching situation up in the air and the top of the Western Conference being so elite, I think Phoenix would look at dealing Morris as an addition by subtraction type of move.

Detroit gets:
Markieff Morris

New York gets:
Steve Blake
Anthony Tolliver

Phoenix gets:
Derrick Williams
Darrun Hilliard
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,916

Post#3 » by Fo-Real » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Naa to any of that. The first two, not going to give up additional assets to move him unless there is more benifit coming back. No thanks the second, all garbage, would rather hold on to him and pay him to stay home, it's only 8 mil, re-think this come summer. We suck already.... we got all day, no pressure to do something that stings. "Hey Kief, that lemonade good?... someone he him another, you sit there and relax big fella". Lol "Anyone hungry, should we order lunch"? (Sarver voice)
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#4 » by Kilo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Wizards and Raptors should be all over Markieff - take out the second rounders though.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#5 » by Troubadour » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Naa to any of that. The first two, not going to give up additional assets to move him unless there is more benifit coming back. No thanks the second, all garbage, would rather hold on to him and pay him to stay home, it's only 8 mil, re-think this come summer. We suck already.... we got all day, no pressure to do something that stings. "Hey Kief, that lemonade good?... someone he him another, you sit there and relax big fella". Lol "Anyone hungry, should we order lunch"? (Sarver voice)

In theory, you're right. The Suns shouldn't rush, but we're dealing with real people. It's taxing on the team to have the Morris drama continue with no end in sight.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,735

Post#6 » by the_process » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Paying guys to sit home pisses off agents. I imagine Chandler's already feels like he was sold a bill of goods. Signing any big name FA's again will become nigh impossible. If PHX can dump Morris for just a 2nd, they should jump all over it.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#7 » by Golabki » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Troubadour wrote:My guess is Morris is traded, at the very latest, by the end of January. Where do you think he will land? Here are some ideas, but I'm more interested in working out which team would offer the best fit for his skillset and personality traits and how much he could possibly return in a trade.

Toronto Raptors

Trade: Patrick Patterson for Markieff Morris, 2016 2nd Round Pick (PHX), and 2020 2nd Round Pick (DET)

Why for the Suns?
Patrick Patterson is a great teammate, floor spacer, and smart overall player who should stabilize things in Phoenix's mercurial locker room. Morris has negative value at the moment due to his personality conflicts and off the court behaviour, but Patterson

Why for the Raptors?
It's a risk, but one that's worth taking given how wide open the East is this year. Morris gives the Raptors an added scorer, playmaker, and shooter at a position of need. Morris' existing relationship with Kyle Lowry, a formerly prickly player who has since reformed, should stabilize things a little once he arrives. The Raptors are gambling their season on this trade, which is why they get two future 2nds.

Houston Rockets

Trade: Terrence Jones, Corey Brewer for Markieff Morris, 2016 2nd Round Pick (PHX), and 2020 2nd Round Pick (DET)

Why for the Suns?
Terrence Jones is a young, talented player that fits the trajectory of the team's young nucleus. Brewer's contract is a lot to absorb and Jones is due for a new contract in the summer, but the talent makes it worthwhile.

Why for the Rockets?
Well, they've been rumoured to have interest ever since Morris became available. Despite that, I don't see the fit. The team is below .500 and struggling to find an identity. It's not exactly the best time to throw a potentially volatile player into a situation that has already proven volatile. New coach, difficult players, and a losing record doesn't really inspire confidence. I think the value is there for them, but I don't see how it fits otherwise.

Washington Wizards

Why for the Suns?
Offers a clean slate to move forward after Morris. No real value, but Morris is already getting DNP-CDs and suspended by the team.

Why for the Wizards?

Bonus Three Team Trade:

Preseason - I think the most likely was Houston with a deal for Brewer and one of the Houston PFs. But with how badly the Lawson experiment has gone... I don't think they can do it now.

Now I think Indy makes the most sense. In an ideal world the Pacer could also get out of the Ellis contract... but more plausible is a deal around Budinger and S. Hill or something like that.
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#8 » by Troubadour » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Golabki wrote:
Troubadour wrote:My guess is Morris is traded, at the very latest, by the end of January. Where do you think he will land? Here are some ideas, but I'm more interested in working out which team would offer the best fit for his skillset and personality traits and how much he could possibly return in a trade.

Toronto Raptors

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Raptors?

Houston Rockets

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Rockets?

Washington Wizards

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Wizards?

Bonus Three Team Trade:

Preseason - I think the most likely was Houston with a deal for Brewer and one of the Houston PFs. But with how badly the Lawson experiment has gone... I don't think they can do it now.

Now I think Indy makes the most sense. In an ideal world the Pacer could also get out of the Ellis contract... but more plausible is a deal around Budinger and S. Hill or something like that.

I don't think the Ellis contract is bad at all. A Budinger / Solomon Hill trade would be interesting. Adding Morris to that team would make them even more lethal from range.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#9 » by chrbal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:42 pm

He'll eventually get traded, some team will "buy low" on him. But i have no idea.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,469

Post#10 » by Revived » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:01 pm

oyoyer wrote:Paying guys to sit home pisses off agents. I imagine Chandler's already feels like he was sold a bill of goods. Signing any big name FA's again will become nigh impossible. If PHX can dump Morris for just a 2nd, they should jump all over it.

Chandler should probably start playing well then.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#11 » by Golabki » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Troubadour wrote:
Golabki wrote:

Toronto Raptors

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Raptors?

Houston Rockets

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Rockets?

Washington Wizards

Why for the Suns?

Why for the Wizards?

Bonus Three Team Trade:

I don't think the Ellis contract is bad at all. A Budinger / Solomon Hill trade would be interesting. Adding Morris to that team would make them even more lethal from range.

To me Ellis was, at his peak, a really good scorer off the bench. Dirk/Carslie made him look like more than that, and now, with age and no Dallas structure I think he's looking like an okay scorer off the bench. And given his age, I would not want that contract.

But leaving Ellis aside... I think Morris and Indy would be a really good fit.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,674

Post#12 » by Smitty731 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm

I have a sinking suspicion that the Celtics might try to snag Morris on the cheap. He's the kind of guy Ainge could gamble on and he's got a good relationship with McDonough from their time together in Boston.
12buckets
Pro Prospect
And1: 273

Post#13 » by 12buckets » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Naa to any of that. The first two, not going to give up additional assets to move him unless there is more benifit coming back. No thanks the second, all garbage, would rather hold on to him and pay him to stay home, it's only 8 mil, re-think this come summer. We suck already.... we got all day, no pressure to do something that stings. "Hey Kief, that lemonade good?... someone he him another, you sit there and relax big fella". Lol "Anyone hungry, should we order lunch"? (Sarver voice)

IF you think his perceived value around the league is low now, then i wouldn't suggest this. his value is dropping with each report about the discord he's creating in the locker room. It will only get lower, and you might be truly stuck with him. This all gets MUCH worse if he doesn't play on the court at all and you don't even have any production to point to to convince other teams he's worth the gamble. If his on court production isn't even worth the hassle for your own team, then good luck trying to convince someone else that he would be worth it for them.

The suns might have gotten some proper value (or at least closer to proper value) if they traded him this summer after he first blew up after his brother got traded. I just can't see it now. it really falls off a cliff if he's not even playing.
Give me a Tommy Point!
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:09 am

Troubadour wrote:

I agree with you on the Monta Ellis point his deal is not bad at all, the Pacers are well under the tax line and Ellis fits pretty well in the up tempo game. If Morris didn't have is "Issues" he'd be a guy I'd like, but the latest incident of him disrespecting the coach, makes him a deal breaker in Indianapolis.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:13 am

Smitty731 wrote:I have a sinking suspicion that the Celtics might try to snag Morris on the cheap. He's the kind of guy Ainge could gamble on and he's got a good relationship with McDonough from their time together in Boston.

How do you think he'd get along with Coach Brad Stevens? I love Stevens as a Coach, do you think Stevens could keep Morris happy?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#16 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:16 am

I think the Wizards will trade for him.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Smitty731 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:17 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I have a sinking suspicion that the Celtics might try to snag Morris on the cheap. He's the kind of guy Ainge could gamble on and he's got a good relationship with McDonough from their time together in Boston.

How do you think he'd get along with Coach Brad Stevens? I love Stevens as a Coach, do you think Stevens could keep Morris happy?

I think the Celtics as a whole would give him a clean slate to some degree. I think he'd be on a short leash. If he pulled some of the crap he has pulled in Phoenix, he'd be out.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,735

Post#18 » by the_process » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 am

TJones and Lawson for Kieff and Teletovic.

Lawson fills in for the rest of the season for Bledsoe plus they get Jones who could be their long term 4. HOU gets two 4's with range like they want. Plus both teams lose headaches.

:lol: Another PF? Doesn't seem like the way to go.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#19 » by freshie2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 am

I would have guessed a location other than an nba franchise, but that's probably not an acceptable option. Somebody will take a chance on his mediocre game, thinking they can turn him into something...Brooklyn seems to be the most logical option based on their recent transaction history.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Smitty731 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:55 am

oyoyer wrote:TJones and Lawson for Kieff and Teletovic.

Lawson fills in for the rest of the season for Bledsoe plus they get Jones who could be their long term 4. HOU gets two 4's with range like they want. Plus both teams lose headaches.

:lol: Another PF? Doesn't seem like the way to go.

Nah. At least 1 or 2 would be dealt before him or for him. :)

Return to Trades and Transactions