PHI/LAL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Re: PHI/LAL 

Post#21 » by warren weel im » Sat May 28, 2016 10:27 am

Phila Tough wrote:
warren weel im wrote:
ntsap wrote:The only trade both sides should consider is an even swap of Russell and Okafor imo. Philly gets a better prospect than Hield, Dunn or Murray and Simmons high school teammate. Lakers get the better player at a tougher position to fill and if Okafor and Randle are as bad defensively as people think they would be together, they have a better chance of keeping their pick.

No offense, but there's A LOT of things wrong in these 2 highlighted statements. It would be better if Philly stopped offering for either #2 or Russell.

Okafor is a better player and a better teammate than Russell. I get that you are supposed to stick behind your guy, but I don't think you're going to find many rationale fans who believe Russell is a better player than Okafor.

Bias aside, Okafor is a good player in the wrong time. If this was the 80's, there would be no question he was #1. But you'd have to account for the evolution of the game. The Lakers picked Russell for a reason.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#22 » by LakersLegacy » Sat May 28, 2016 11:55 am

warren weel im wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
warren weel im wrote:
No offense, but there's A LOT of things wrong in these 2 highlighted statements. It would be better if Philly stopped offering for either #2 or Russell.

Okafor is a better player and a better teammate than Russell. I get that you are supposed to stick behind your guy, but I don't think you're going to find many rationale fans who believe Russell is a better player than Okafor.

Bias aside, Okafor is a good player in the wrong time. If this was the 80's, there would be no question he was #1. But you'd have to account for the evolution of the game. The Lakers picked Russell for a reason.

The jury is definitely still out on who is the better player. I think by 2017 3'Angelo will be seen as the better player. Luke's system will utilize 3'Angelos strengths.

Guards take longer to develop. Kobe's rookie season he put up 8 and 1. Nash only put 8 and 5 his forth year in the NBA. 3'Angelo has all the tools. A killer shot, passing ability and he's 6-5 with a 6-10 wing span. He has a chip on his shoulder for redemption and is working out early in the morning at UCLA doing his best Kobe work ethic impression putting up shots. It's a guards league. He will break through soon.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,553

Post#23 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat May 28, 2016 12:01 pm

I want to respond more, but I'm just have a lot of trouble taking serious the nickname 3'Angelo serious.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#24 » by mksp » Sat May 28, 2016 2:54 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I want to respond more, but I'm just have a lot of trouble taking serious the nickname 3'Angelo serious.

For a guy who shot 35.1% from 3!

Maybe we can trade 3ollis Thompson (38%), 3obert Covington (35.3%) and 3saiah Canaan (36.3%) together for him!
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#25 » by BullyKing » Sat May 28, 2016 2:56 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:
warren weel im wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:

Guards take longer to develop.

I think you can fairly prefer Russell to Okafor without making up justifications.

http://www.gotbuckets.com/2014/03/24/aging-curves-for-big-men-do-they-take-longer-to-develop/
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
KSOR24
Sophomore
And1: 61

Re: Re: PHI/LAL 

Post#26 » by KSOR24 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:39 am

Phila Tough wrote:
warren weel im wrote:
ntsap wrote:The only trade both sides should consider is an even swap of Russell and Okafor imo. Philly gets a better prospect than Hield, Dunn or Murray and Simmons high school teammate. Lakers get the better player at a tougher position to fill and if Okafor and Randle are as bad defensively as people think they would be together, they have a better chance of keeping their pick.

Based on what? Raw PPG?
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#27 » by Crooked-I » Sun May 29, 2016 1:28 am

I like Noel a lot. Athletic bigs is the way the league is moving towards now. Bismack, Whiteside, Adams, Ibaka, Thompson, Draymond, etc. All those guys are on teams that made deep playoff runs and they all shine. I don't think that is a coincidence. But Noel is getting paid soon so his value drops. He'll probably command the same contract as Bismack or Whiteside, I'd rather just offer those guys the contract and keep 3'Angelo. The 2017 pick would be nice but I think it'll be at in the 9-14 range so it's not that big of a hit.

Also it's funny how Okafor isn't even in this trade and somehow he gets brought up. That tends to happen a lot, I wonder why.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#28 » by the_process » Sun May 29, 2016 4:54 am

warren weel im wrote:

It's not always Philly offering it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:49 am

sogood wrote:Lakers says no pretty quickly. Russell is worth a lot more than Noel. That pick is an unknown asset right now. Lakers have 60+ in cap space to play with.

I can understand the Lakers declining the trade with the hope that Russell develops into something special, but he hasn't shown anything yet that makes him definitively better than Noel.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by warren weel im » Sun May 29, 2016 1:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
sogood wrote:Lakers says no pretty quickly. Russell is worth a lot more than Noel. That pick is an unknown asset right now. Lakers have 60+ in cap space to play with.

I can understand the Lakers declining the trade with the hope that Russell develops into something special, but he hasn't shown anything yet that makes him definitively better than Noel.

Russell is 20. We'll have all of 3 more years to decide whether he is Andre Miller w/ a 3pt shot or Greivis Vasquez. He affords me the time to assess him further. His game is very advanced for a 19yo rookie playing in the bright lights of LA, whose game was murdered by Byron Scott.

Noel is going to get paid next season - if you trade for him, you'd have to pay him to keep him. I am not paying 21M (or more) per season for someone who's game is only on the other side of the court.
HartfordWhalers

Post#31 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 29, 2016 1:38 pm

warren weel im wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Russell is 20. We'll have all of 3 more years to decide whether he is Andre Miller w/ a 3pt shot or Greivis Vasquez. He affords me the time to assess him further. His game is very advanced for a 19yo rookie playing in the bright lights of LA, whose game was murdered by Byron Scott.

Noel is going to get paid next season - if you trade for him, you'd have to pay him to keep him. I am not paying 21M (or more) per season for someone who's game is only on the other side of the court.

Noel scored 11 per game very efficiently. So, sounds like you are pretty wrong on your contention.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by warren weel im » Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
warren weel im wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Noel scored 11 per game very efficiently. So, sounds like you are pretty wrong on your contention.

I don't think he's much of an offensive option AT ALL. He scores out of putbacks, I guess that's his game, but I don't think saying he's an offensive option is fair to say at all. He doesn't shoot FTs all too well either.

That said, every team would love to have a mobile center like NN, but he is not more valuable than the potential within Russell. If you disagree, well then, lets agree to do that.
HartfordWhalers

Post#33 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm

warren weel im wrote:who's game is only on the other side of the court.

warren weel im wrote:I don't think he's much of an offensive option AT ALL. He scores out of putbacks, I guess that's his game, but I don't think saying he's an offensive option is fair to say at all. He doesn't shoot FTs all too well either.

He might be a 4th scorer on a team, but there is a world of difference between saying someone isn't a go to scoring option and a guy cannot play offense at all (or something similar to both).
warren weel im
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by warren weel im » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

warren weel im wrote:I don't think he's much of an offensive option AT ALL. He scores out of putbacks, I guess that's his game, but I don't think saying he's an offensive option is fair to say at all. He doesn't shoot FTs all too well either.

He might be a 4th scorer on a team, but there is a world of difference between saying someone isn't a go to scoring option and a guy cannot play offense at all (or something similar to both).

Its not about being the 4th scorer, its about being the 4th scorer on a team that has no scorers at all outside of Jah.
HartfordWhalers

Post#35 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 29, 2016 1:54 pm

warren weel im wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Its not about being the 4th scorer, its about being the 4th scorer on a team that has no scorers at all outside of Jah.

Which makes his efficiency even more impressive, not less.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by warren weel im » Sun May 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I rest my case.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#37 » by Lovetron Joe » Sun May 29, 2016 3:29 pm

mksp wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I want to respond more, but I'm just have a lot of trouble taking serious the nickname 3'Angelo serious.

Maybe we can trade 3ollis Thompson (38%), 3obert Covington (35.3%) and 3saiah Canaan (36.3%) together for him!

35.1%from3'angelo is more accurate but lacks pizzazz. I'm okay with 3'angelo.

Lovetron Joe
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#38 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:40 pm

philly fans are the ones trying to put down dangelo to make this trade seem ok. every lakers fan in here said no, not even close. why push the issue? clearly a large divide in perceived value.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#39 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:44 pm

mksp wrote:

post asb he shot 40% from 3 when byron finally started giving him consistent minutes and a consistent role instead of yanking him after he made his first mistake. but sure, go ahead and mention guys that are in their mid 20s already (all of them are 25 LOL), and completely ignore that rookies improve.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
HartfordWhalers

Post#40 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Showtime:Part2 wrote:
mksp wrote:

post asb he shot 40% from 3 when byron finally started giving him consistent minutes and a consistent role instead of yanking him after he made his first mistake. but sure, go ahead and mention guys that are in their mid 20s already (all of them are 25 LOL), and completely ignore that rookies improve.

I think the base line expectation is that Russell improves. Right now my baseline expectation is that his nickname (3'Angelo) cannot get worse.

Return to Trades and Transactions