LAC/NYK/TOR

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Re: LAC/NYK/TOR 

Post#41 » by spree8 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:32 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Skeezo wrote:
Agreed, If anyone could feel shorted it might be the Clippers. But who kicks in the extra?

Exchanging the #27 for #9, is too much for the Raptors for only one guaranteed year of Blake
Exchanging the #35 for #16, I feel is too much for Boston in obtaining JV
Knicks, maybe they kick in Grant (Not sure that's right either), but does that get it over the top?

Yea I agree with Raps and Celts not wanting to kick in any more. I personally would add JGrant...he's got a lot of potential but playing on this crap team in the triangle hurt his chances for showing what we know (saw flashes during the season) he can do.

I'd do it just because I really want Melo gone so we can rebuild through the draft, and I think with those picks LAC is getting here, JGrant, and their own 25th and 33rd, that they could trade for some rotational players to help win now. And that should be enough for them to do it.

If were rebuilding why throw in one of the few players on the roster with upside. Toronto is stealing Blake Griffin in this deal, absolutely stealing him. Why wouldn't Boston just take Griffin for themselves if they are giving up #3? You really think they would prefer Jonas Valancuins over Griffin LOL.

That's a fair point/question...didn't really ask myself that...was more concerned with the value exchange and what the Knicks were getting. I'm sure the Celts would prefer Blake and have a better shot at retaining him which would allow them to kick in a little more for the Clippers so we wouldn't have to. I was just saying I'd throw in Grant (who I like and would prefer to keep) just to get it done and move on from the Melo era and start the rebuild....if that's what it took.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#42 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 8:38 pm

spree8 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Yea I agree with Raps and Celts not wanting to kick in any more. I personally would add JGrant...he's got a lot of potential but playing on this crap team in the triangle hurt his chances for showing what we know (saw flashes during the season) he can do.

I'd do it just because I really want Melo gone so we can rebuild through the draft, and I think with those picks LAC is getting here, JGrant, and their own 25th and 33rd, that they could trade for some rotational players to help win now. And that should be enough for them to do it.

If were rebuilding why throw in one of the few players on the roster with upside. Toronto is stealing Blake Griffin in this deal, absolutely stealing him. Why wouldn't Boston just take Griffin for themselves if they are giving up #3? You really think they would prefer Jonas Valancuins over Griffin LOL.

That's a fair point/question...didn't really ask myself that...was more concerned with the value exchange and what the Knicks were getting. I'm sure the Celts would prefer Blake and have a better shot at retaining him which would allow them to kick in a little more for the Clippers so we wouldn't have to. I was just saying I'd throw in Grant (who I like and would prefer to keep) just to get it done and move on from the Melo era and start the rebuild....if that's what it took.

I don't think the Knicks are getting enough value to move Grant or Lopez in this transaction. Sure, getting #3 for Melo is a great start.

BOS: Blake Griffin
NY: Pick #3, Future MEM Pick (v/ Bos), Lower of BOS/BK 2018 pick
LAC: Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza
HOU: Pick #16

I think the value here is more in line with what it will cost Boston to get Blake. They give up 4 1st round picks, but retain the 2 future BK picks and all their role players. They were prepared to offer 4 1st rd picks to move up for Justice WInslow last year. But the basis of the deal is 1 A asset and 3 B assets for Blake, which seams fair.

The Clippers get a starting SF to team with Melo, Houston gets back into the draft.

The Knicks get 2 future picks to go along with the #3 pick for Melo. I think this is the correct kind of return. Melo is worth more than #3 straight up. There is a bigger difference between 2 and 3 than 3 and 9 in this years draft.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#43 » by Skeezo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Skeezo wrote:
Agreed, If anyone could feel shorted it might be the Clippers. But who kicks in the extra?

Exchanging the #27 for #9, is too much for the Raptors for only one guaranteed year of Blake
Exchanging the #35 for #16, I feel is too much for Boston in obtaining JV
Knicks, maybe they kick in Grant (Not sure that's right either), but does that get it over the top?

R-Dawg, we were offered D.Howard for JV straight-up and we shot it down dead in its tracks... If you think we are adding in the #9 and Ross + JV for potentially one year of Griffin (cause you know nobody wants to play in Toronto so he'll bolt after one) than by all means cut us out...

As I said, maybe Melo will waive his no trade clause to go to Boston (maybe he won't)... Boston has all the picks in world, they want win now pieces, just up to Ainge whether a 32yr old (23m+ piece) vs a 24yr old (16m piece) is worth giving up the #3 pick + more for...

If you feel KP and Blake is a good idea playing together, cut us out... Now you're back to trading more future NYK picks again because let's face it Melo and Grant aren't going to get it done alone with LAC and trading Rolo only hurts your roster cause you have no replacement for him.
sewko
Senior
And1: 359

Post#44 » by sewko » Sun May 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Skeezo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Knicks: Melo, RoLo, JGrant for Jonas & #9

Raptors: Jonas, DCarroll, #9 for Blake

Clips: Blake for Melo, DCarroll, JGrant

This is closer from a Raptors perspective... However, the LAC are taking on a lot of money... Also where is RoLo going in this?

What I would try to roll with...

Toronto Trade:
JV, Ross, #27 Pick
Toronto Receive:
Griffin

Raps: Risky cause Griffin only has one year left on his deal by Raps get their PF upgrade, as well as clearing enough room to re-sign Biyombo

LAC Trade:
Griffin
LAC Receive:
Melo, #27 Pick, #35 Pick

LAC: Changing direction, Melo is locked in for a few more years, and gain a couple of prospect picks for cheap bench filler

NYK Trade:
Melo
NYK Receive:
#3 Pick, Ross

NYK: Start the rebuild around KP with #3 pick, Ross is still young enough to grow with program... Gain cap-room but wouldn't use it this offseason. Would bottom out for the year and reload in 2017 after adding another high lotto pick

Boston Trade:
#3 Pick, #35 Pick
Boston Receive:
JV

Bos: Boston is looking to make a jump and needs win now pieces... Boston is in need of a Big man and JV is young, locked in on reasonable terms, and super efficient ready to make the jump. Not to mention, JV and Amir play extremely well together... #3 and #35 in a supposed weak draft is more than reasonable for the known entity that JV is. Maybe Boston/NYK look to cut LAC/TOR out of Boston instead wants Melo and Melo is willing to waive his no trade clause.

I'm sorry but this is gross. It seems like you're really overvaluing JV. There's no way the Raptors could get Griffin only giving up JV and some random assets. Also, I can't see why Boston would do that. If they can't package that pick for a superstar, why wouldn't they just keep the pick instead of trading it for a guy like Valanciunas?

It looks fine for the Knicks and the Clippers imo, but awful for the Celtics and outstanding for the Raptors.
Skeezo
Analyst

Post#45 » by Skeezo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:52 pm

R-DAWG wrote:If were rebuilding why throw in one of the few players on the roster with upside. Toronto is stealing Blake Griffin in this deal, absolutely stealing him. Why wouldn't Boston just take Griffin for themselves if they are giving up #3? You really think they would prefer Jonas Valancuins over Griffin LOL.

Fair points and even I said adding Grant I wasn't sure felt right either... The one thing you nailed on the head is that Boston controls their destiny in the sense that they get to determine what player they want to go after... Do they want Blake? Do they want Melo? JV? Cousins? ... They are the team with all the pieces to make something happen... However, here is what I feel... I think whatever move Ainge does next, he's going to have to pay dearly for it. I think there is a bit of a league wide stigma on Ainge right now. He has been able to obtain so many assets and been on the right side of the deal so many times that whoever comes next is going to make sure they are on the right side.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#46 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Skeezo wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:If were rebuilding why throw in one of the few players on the roster with upside. Toronto is stealing Blake Griffin in this deal, absolutely stealing him. Why wouldn't Boston just take Griffin for themselves if they are giving up #3? You really think they would prefer Jonas Valancuins over Griffin LOL.

Fair points and even I said adding Grant I wasn't sure felt right either... The one thing you nailed on the head is that Boston controls their destiny in the sense that they get to determine what player they want to go after... Do they want Blake? Do they want Melo? JV? Cousins? ... They are the team with all the pieces to make something happen... However, here is what I feel... I think whatever move Ainge does next, he's going to have to pay dearly for it. I think there is a bit of a league wide stigma on Ainge right now. He has been able to obtain so many assets and been on the right side of the deal so many times that whoever comes next is going to make sure they are on the right side.

I don't think Melo waives his NTC for Boston or that Boston is the right spot for Melo. The deal would send Melo to the Clippers, Blake to Boston, and picks from Boston to the Knicks and the Clippers. I agree with your theory that Boston will have to overpay for a big star, because their assets are in a way devalued because they have so many. But from Boston's standpoint, there's what a 20% chance that one of the 3 Brooklyn picks becomes 80% of the player Griffin is. There's at least a 50-50 chance, probably better, that Griffin resigns in Boston.

In many ways, the Brooklyn picks are extremely overrated on these boards. Hasn't this year's pick lost value now that we know it's #3 in a 2 player draft? And call me crazy, but it's not hard to see the Nets becoming a 35 win or better team next year with all their cap space and a new coach and GM leading the way.

In many way's Toronto isn't needed in this deal. The cost for Blake Griffin is going to be higher than Jonas Valancunis, Terrence Ross, and the 27th pick. Adding in the 9th pick might not even be enough. If the price is too high for the Raptors, it doesn't really effect the outcome of this potential deal. Because Toronto is STEALING Griffin with this proposal.
Skeezo
Analyst

Post#47 » by Skeezo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 pm

R-DAWG wrote:I don't think Melo waives his NTC for Boston or that Boston is the right spot for Melo. The deal would send Melo to the Clippers, Blake to Boston, and picks from Boston to the Knicks and the Clippers. I agree with your theory that Boston will have to overpay for a big star, because their assets are in a way devalued because they have so many.

Huh, we were getting along so well and then you have to go and say this to me... :(

R-DAWG wrote:Because Toronto is STEALING Griffin with this proposal.

:noway: ... Can we still be friends? :beer:
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#48 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Skeezo wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:I don't think Melo waives his NTC for Boston or that Boston is the right spot for Melo. The deal would send Melo to the Clippers, Blake to Boston, and picks from Boston to the Knicks and the Clippers. I agree with your theory that Boston will have to overpay for a big star, because their assets are in a way devalued because they have so many.

Huh, we were getting along so well and then you have to go and say this to me... :(

R-DAWG wrote:Because Toronto is STEALING Griffin with this proposal.

:noway: ... Can we still be friends? :beer:

of course, but your not going to get Blake Griffin for Jonas Valancunis.
Skeezo
Analyst

Post#49 » by Skeezo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:26 pm

R-DAWG wrote:In many ways, the Brooklyn picks are extremely overrated on these boards. Hasn't this year's pick lost value now that we know it's #3 in a 2 player draft? And call me crazy, but it's not hard to see the Nets becoming a 35 win or better team next year with all their cap space and a new coach and GM leading the way.

I feel the same way with Philly's ownership of the Lakers pick... After the #2 pick and some decent moves in the offseason whose to say the pick isn't destined to be in the #11-#15 pick range... Still valuable, but it's surely not guaranteed to be a Top 7 pick that some here feel...
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#50 » by LightTheBeam » Sun May 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Man I'm not a huge Melo fan but after reading the first page, he may be the most underrated player on this board. I have him worth near what Blake is worth and happen to think the clippers would be much better with him instead of Blake.

Imo clippers are getting way to much value. Raptors looks about right and the Knicks wouldn't do this. If the Knicks trade Melo it should be a rebuilding move not a retool like this which gets them stuck in mediocrity.

Val/Porzingas/Carroll/Powell/Joseph isn't very good.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#51 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Skeezo wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:In many ways, the Brooklyn picks are extremely overrated on these boards. Hasn't this year's pick lost value now that we know it's #3 in a 2 player draft? And call me crazy, but it's not hard to see the Nets becoming a 35 win or better team next year with all their cap space and a new coach and GM leading the way.

I feel the same way with Philly's ownership of the Lakers pick... After the #2 pick and some decent moves in the offseason whose to say the pick isn't destined to be in the #11-#15 pick range... Still valuable, but it's surely not guaranteed to be a Top 7 pick that some here feel...

That's the risk associated with trading or trading for future picks. So much can change in a 2-3 year period in the NBA. I think most people thought the Nets would be a playoff team with Brook Lopez and Deron Williams this year when they made the trade in 2013. I sure know the Knicks thought they would be a playoff team when the picks they traded for Melo were conveyed.

Take Boston's situation with the Brooklyn picks - Boston is going to ask for a premium to move them but any team trading for them needs to factor the risk associated with them into the return. So you can essentially say for trade purposes the 2 future BK picks hold the same value together as the #3 pick this year does alone.
Skeezo
Analyst

Post#52 » by Skeezo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:36 pm

sewko wrote:It looks fine for the Knicks and the Clippers imo, but awful for the Celtics and outstanding for the Raptors.

That's cool to think that, and I certainly respect what Ainge has done, but Masai isn't Billy King and every GM in the league by now I guarantee will hold Ainge's feet to the fire on the next deal to even out some of those assets...

Nobody has forgotten the Four 1st Rd picks Ainge offered for the #9 pick last year, and was turned down. Boston fans you have done well in your rebuilding process, absolutely amazing first-rate... The deal doesn't have to be with the Raptors, matter of fact it probably won't but be prepared that the next big deal that Boston makes is not going to look to good from your perspective.

Return to Trades and Transactions