Dragic back to Houston with OKC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Dragic back to Houston with OKC 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Okay so I posted in another thread an aside about Dragic back to Houston and it was met with both Dbrandon and Mr. E approval. Now I know when I have suggested Dragic trades previously Heat fans have been strongly against it. And I do understand that, but I think with Wade having moved on, things have to be seen differently and if I can get them a good asset in return....?

Heat deal:
Dragic

Heat get:
Ilysova
Cam Payne

Thunder deal:
Ilyasova
Payne

Thunder get:
Ariza
Beverley

Rockets deal:
Ariza
Beverley

Rockets get:
Dragic

Rockets do this to unite Dragic with MDA. Biggest downside is losing a key forward with no great options to replace him(Brewer,Beasley, Dekker, McDaniels)

Heat gain a bunch of cap space next year--and are a team who can definitely lure free agents and get a very nice young PG. Downside is this team really needs Dragic this year, tho I don't think they are serious contenders either way.

Thunder gain two very solid veterans who fit beautifully. Beverley hits shots and defends behind and next to Westbrook and Ariza is the perfect swing forward for them. Downside is they have given up their best young asset for a couple role players.

So how bad is this?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Re: Dragic back to Houston with OKC 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Beverely will simply never play for the Thunder after what he did to Westbrook. At least not as long as Russ is there.

Love the idea of Ariza though. But trading Ily leaves a hole at PF as well, so...
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Yeah, I'm the same with Bev. I also think Payne just will end up better.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 pm

You know what I'm going to say, Chuck. Is pass every time. We want to see what we have with Bosh potentially returning, before we even consider this kind of trade. We're not trying to rebuild in spite of what people may think.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#5 » by Chinook » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 pm

This trade is technically illegal until the conditions on Ersan are lifted, but ignoring that, I'd be willing to have the Spurs throw in Mills and Simmons to prevent OKC from having to suffer the injustice of Beverly joining their roster.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,821

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Beverely will simply never play for the Thunder after what he did to Westbrook. At least not as long as Russ is there.

Love the idea of Ariza though. But trading Ily leaves a hole at PF as well, so...

Ariza plays PF, no?

And I always forget about the Beverley/Westbrook history. :oops:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Beverely will simply never play for the Thunder after what he did to Westbrook. At least not as long as Russ is there.

Ariza plays PF, no?

And I always forget about the Beverley/Westbrook history. :oops:

I'd call Ariza a SF, but I think Sabonis will be ready pretty early on honestly and would risk that. The Bev part is my hangup.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 pm

I think OKC still has a few mil left in cap space?

The trade I would deal Payne for (I know it's not realistic but I get bored just standing pat) would be Payne, Ily, Singler out and Knight and Ariza in. I think that makes the team a lot better now and into the future, adds shooting, etc.

Russ/Knight/Price
Dipo/Abrines
Ariza/Morrow/Huestis
Roberson/Sabonis/Collison
Adams/Kanter/McGary
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#9 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 pm

I actually like this, and don't know that the Beverley thing would be that big of a deal. I don't recall Russ vocalizing a grudge like he did with Reggie. Payne being one of our young potential pieces makes me hesitate, but Ariza/Bev make us better.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 pm

I really don't like it for any team involved.

For OKC, their bench scoring would be even worse than last year and given the fact that they lost Durant (and Waiters who could at least create his own shot) this would be Westbrook trying to outscore the other team every night.

Value is okay but not great for the Heat. This is definitely a call-me-back-at-the-deadline type of deal for them.

As far as the Rockets, swapping Dragic for Beverly and Ariza essentially means they aren't ever going to try on defense. They'd have to average like 60% shooting to be an above .500 team.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 pm

jbk1234 wrote:For OKC, their bench scoring would be even worse than last year and given the fact that they lost Durant (and Waiters who could at least create his own shot) this would be Westbrook trying to outscore the other team every night.

So...last year's bench lineup (that is, if we were playing an all-bench lineup) was Foye/Waiters/Singler/Collison/Kanter.

This year's bench lineup would be Beverley/Abrines/Roberson/Collison/Kanter.

None of those 2015-16 guys we lost are exactly lighting the world on fire. Heck, if you're worried about points, slot Morrow in Roberson's spot and just forget defense exists. My worry with that bench would be the incredible lack of playmaking unless Abrines shows some chops. But I'd be shocked if we ran all-bench lineups.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 pm

dbrandon wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:For OKC, their bench scoring would be even worse than last year and given the fact that they lost Durant (and Waiters who could at least create his own shot) this would be Westbrook trying to outscore the other team every night.

So...last year's bench lineup (that is, if we were playing an all-bench lineup) was Foye/Waiters/Singler/Collison/Kanter.

None of those 2015-16 guys we lost are exactly lighting the world on fire. Heck, if you're worried about points, slot Morrow in Roberson's spot and just forget defense exists. My worry with that bench would be the incredible lack of playmaking unless Abrines shows some chops. But I'd be shocked if we ran all-bench lineups.

Payne got some run with the second unit and showed flashes. He'd be replaced by Beverly. Also, is Illy gone or do they plan to keep him? Because he's still a serviceable stretch big man.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
dbrandon wrote:

Payne got some run with the second unit and showed flashes. He'd be replaced by Beverly. Also, is Illy gone or do they plan to keep him? Because he's still a serviceable stretch big man.

In the OP post Ilya is headed out. And I agree with you on Payne vs Beverley, though Beverley's a little better player atm. If we did do something like that Rockets trade, I'd sign Lance to add another ballhandler on the wing—he's not a good primary ballhandler, but he's a solid secondary one.

If you're talking bench based on what the team has currently, it'd be Payne/Abrines/Singler/Sabonis/Kanter, which is a defensive sieve. But the starters are looking like Westbrook/Oladipo/Roberson/Ilyasova/Adams, which is a really good defensive unit. Probably better once Sabonis gets to the point where he's starting—he looks like a plus defender in FIBA, and Ilyasova isn't. Of course, that also makes the bench worse on defense.

I think we're still short a playmaker unless Abrines proves capable, and we'll need to shore up our bench defense.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Post#14 » by ThaFranchize84 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 pm

BBallFreak wrote:You know what I'm going to say, Chuck. Is pass every time. We want to see what we have with Bosh potentially returning, before we even consider this kind of trade. We're not trying to rebuild in spite of what people may think.

I agree with this. Cap space does not guarantee anything especially with the top players resigning with their teams leaving really only B Griffin left. If Bosh plays we have no need for him. Rather keep Dragic on his bargain contract. Now if it was amended to get the Heat someone like B Knight and Ariza I would do it as a Heat fan.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm

I disagree about Russ not holding a grudge with Bev his body language when they play is pretty loud.

Return to Trades and Transactions