Sacramento early offseason in review (HW/bondom34/dbrandon/Slava)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Grade the Sacramento offseason

A
6%
A-
2%
B+
4%
B
15%
B-
13%
C+
6%
C
7%
C-
20%
D
19%
F
9%

Total votes: 54

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Sacramento early offseason in review (HW/bondom34/dbrandon/Slava) 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Sacramento Offseason Review

HartfordWhalers wrote:HartfordWhalers Review

Key Losses:
Rajon Rondo

Rondo led the team in minutes, and while not a big loss in terms of I don't think they should have kept him, he is a big loss in terms of the guard rotation looks clearly downgraded with him gone.

Losses:
George Karl (HC)
Marco Belinelli
Quincy Acy
Seth Curry
James Anderson
Caron Butler
Eric Moreland
Duje Dukan

Belinelli was awful and that trade was amazing. I will keep saying how much I loved it. Anderson, Moreland and Dukan will be easily forgotten. That Butler was stretched and will eat into cap space for 2 more years is the sort of small decision I hate. And the sort of small decision the Kings keep throwing on top of each other. They could have killed Butler's salary all this year and done everything they did but had too much dead money still from Wayne Ellington being stretched, it is a cycle of beggaring the future at small stakes. I like Acy, but he is the definition of minimal loss.

Seth Curry played under 700 minutes, so while he might have shot 45% from 3 in that time it is still hard to call it a key loss. He also is already 26, which means if you are looking at the team and thinking about a post Cousins world he might not be the best fit. Still, losing him stings a little. I have him as one of the clear bright spots in an otherwise dismal season.

George Karl... I guess now is as good a time as any to get into last offseason, because it needs to be done at some point. Last offseason Vivek reached out to Calipari (per Woj) and when that didn't work, decided to stick by a beleaguered and feuding Karl. It was overly ambitious and with a horrible (if any?) backup plan, and the result was it inevitably backfired, and did so messily. This offseason the Kings cleaned up the Karl part very nicely, so much so that I want to list it as a key loss in a good, addition by subtraction way. I haven't been doing that yet so won't start, but letting Rondo and Karl go was a massively needed step towards functionality.

Draft:
#8 traded back
#13 Georgios Papagiannis (traded for)
#22 Malachi Richardson (traded for)
#28 Skal Labissiere (traded for)
#59 Isaiah Cousins

Not sold on Papagiannis that high. He has two big plusses -- big and young. But his track record putting that to use doesn't suggest a lotto pick. Being the 8th ranked player in his international class is discouraging -- http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/International-1997/ especially when some big international center would be there at #22 if not #28.

Now, Sacramento has spent a lot of picks on failed SG's lately ('14: Stauskas, '13: McLemore, '11: Jimmer) but Denzel Valentine picked one pick afterwards would have made a bunch of sense here as well.
Juan Hernangomez I'm really bullish on, so if you were ignoring position I would have considered him over Papagiannis and set up a long term pf/c core of: Hernangomez/WCS instead of: WCS/Papagiannis. But Wade Baldwin was the interesting pick, combining okay outside shooting with defensive fundamentals at the pg position. I'm not totally sold on Baldwin however his fit is perfect.

Skipping ahead, I like Skal a ton at #28. And if you know Skal was picked, then Richardson is a pick that fills a need and looks like a perfectly 'okay' pick with who was on the board. However, thats using a bit of unfair hindsight. So, I think Skal should have maybe gone at #22. Then who goes at #28? I'm leaning Demetrius Jackson (or Tyler Ullis). Get the pg they didn't take at #13. But if I could have fixed that at #13? Then you can go for maybe a Zubac and get your big project, or Patrick McCaw as a similar player as Richardson. So Baldwin/Skal/McCaw would have been my draft.

Trades:
Marco Belinelli to Charlotte Hornets for the rights to Malachi Richardson (22nd)
Marquese Chriss (8th) to Phoenix Suns for a 2020 Detroit Pistons second-rounder and the rights to three players — Georgios Papagiannis (13th), Skal Labissiere (28th) and Bogdan Bogdanovic (27th).

Easy stuff first. The #22 for Marco Belinelli trade was the biggest value steal of the offseason, and just an incredibly move. The Kings -- perhaps the team in the league most in need of shooting and quality vet guards (after all Philly can be more patient) -- just decided to trade one away for a late first round pick. If sirens aren't going off in your head hearing that, they should be. The reason the Kings did the trade was because Belinelli is awful. Or he was last year. Already 30, a poor defender, and basically a situational shooter only; the one thing that he had going for him vanished -- 50% TS% with only 30.6% from 3. Now, there might be less open looks and all that, but for the love of god those numbers were bad and the -4.2 BPM and the -10 on-off are pretty eye catching for a guy in the downswing part of a career. Altogether, I had him as a guy who would cost a late 1st to dump. And I'm not sure I'm not right here, Charlotte once in a while makes a highly questionable decision. And once a year there is a trade like this, or Vasquez to Milwaukee or [censored] that everyone knows was a ripoff the second it happened.

The Chriss trade? I had batted out all sorts of trades of #8 in the weeks up to the draft, figuring Chriss or Jaylen Brown would drop and both aren't great pairings. Chriss being the much worse. And with him in a tier of just himself, you have to either pick against need or extract value otherwise. Sac did the second. #13, Bogdanovic's rights, and #28 are solid value for a move down. And remember, everyone looked Utah moving up for Trey Burke when they did and gave up the picks that were Shabazz and Dieng. Especially when its a high upside toolsy guy like Chriss (and has another one on the other side like Skal), trades like this will make one side look brilliant and one side look dumb in hindsight depending on if a risky prospect works or not. I'm good with this trade for both sides, but...

1) That doesn't mean I like the pick at #13 (I didn't)
2) It is hard not to see this trade as a directional statement (Team takes a center and a pf that are all super raw, and a guy that is a year away from coming over. Very little help now)
3) It is hard not to read into that in terms of Cousins (No help in the second to last year of Cousins contract and extra redundancy at his positions).

For Sacramento, everything hinges around Cousins (until it doesn't).

And there is an obvious alternative. #12 got Teague/Hill. #8 should have gotten a choice of one of them and filler, or maybe in a deal with Phoenix could have gotten Knight? There were definitely ways to add more talent around Cousins right now, and instead Sacramento's draft was an exercise in going all in on not going all in, but comes one year after going all in. That context is key.

Free Agency:
Dave Joerger (Head Coach)
Arron Afflalo 2/$25m (only 1.5m gtd year 2)
Garrett Temple 3/$24m (PO last year)
Anthony Tolliver 2/16m (only 2m gtd year 2)
Matt Barnes 2/$12.5m (PO last year)
Georgios Papagiannis rookie scale
Malachi Richardson rookie scale
Skal Labissiere rookie scale
Claimed Lamar Patterson off waivers

Joerger is a get. Quality hire, good coach. Not really a rebuilding guy in my eye, but a solid guy with a chance to get everyone on the same page team wise. Well done.

Afflalo is not a lock down defender. Afflalo is not a defensive plus. This idea somehow started in Denver and has just stuck on him despite all the evidence to the contrary since then. So, lets start by saying that Afflalo will only help the perimeter defense in the way that he won't be the seize that Beli was. But that is a big change still. And he is a quality good signing, on a great deal that gives the team a ton of flexibility next year. I like this signing a lot, just please don't talk him up as a defensive stud for the love of god.

Then you have Matt Barnes, who last year was assumed to have not much in the tank and then did. The problem I have here is the player option. If you want to preserve cap space for a 2017 free agency run, then you cannot have a Barnes that will be 38 at the end of that season able to opt into 6m of cap room if he isn't worth it then. I come back to, for Sacramento, everything hinges around Cousins (until it doesn't). Does having a 37 to 38 year old Barnes in Cousins last year add anything? And more importantly, does it add anything in the '19 season when Cousins would in theory be re-upped?

I said this last offseason (there review by Pmott3 and Texas Chuck is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1401512 and worthwhile to revisit just for the claims that Karl maybe wasn't that much of an issue and that was all media driven)

In terms of what Sac's needs were, I think it was to get a core that could grow with Cousins so it would be peaking when Cousins is nearing free agency in a few years, and doesn't suck. I'm not sure they hit any of that.

If a Rondo who turned 30 mid last year wasn't looking like that, you can imagine I don;t think a turning 37 Barnes looks like it either. And I really like the Afflalo signing, but he is 31 at the start of the season and not signed in 2019. No one is except Temple, which is a real head scratcher. If you are preserving to allow a Cousins + other max player(s) in '19, then why jam up a full 8m on Garett Temple? He isn't well known, but also is already 30 right now.

Tolliver I would have been fine for that money and contract structure for Minnesota. For Sacramento given their needs and overabundance of big man depth? It is a head scratcher.

So, what would I have done different? I see three options for Sacramento:
1) Bring in stop gap vets to help you get better vets next summer or if you are crazy in '19 simultaneously
2) Bring in young vets to be peaking when Cousins hits free agency to make re-signing then as attractive as possible for him (What I was arguing for last year when there were more on the market see Portland for instance)
3) Go full on youth (and trade Cousins)

Afflalo, Temple, Barnes, Tolliver are all stop gaps, but Barnes and Tolliver having contracts past this season is an issue, and Tolliver got a bunch gtd for year 2 for a guy that looks to be a horrible fit.

So, going route 1 you could have done:
Afflalo, Jeff Green (1 year using Temple and Tollier's 16m, and then Brandon Jennings for 1 year on the MLE (Barnes 6m). It would be a better team, and have more flexibility. Or Afflalo, Gerald Henderson (9m), Sergio Rodriquez (6.8m) and then Sullinger with the MLE. Or split the MLE on Tim Frazier (took 4m over 2 years for NOP, and Jarrett Jack (signed for the min at Atlanta) or Felton (min LAC).

I like Afflalo as the signing. But they needed to spend 6m on a pg. They needed to not lock into Barnes and Temple. Maybe above is too ambitious, having Sac get players at contracts the other teams did. So, switch and just take Henderson at 12m even, and then you still get a backup pg and have the full MLE, or can just use the full MLE after the idea in additional thoughts.

The other routes were harder to come up with a brilliant plan -- time is ticking fast and hoping Solomon Hill is good enough that COusins views him as a second banana in 2 years feels overly ambitious. It might not have been so bad if there weren't teams like the Nets were already making those big rfa offers and still striking out. Harkless with his contract situation and Portland's line near the tax, I wonder if you could have swiped him away with a 13.5m starting salary and then declining (4years/50m) instead of the 4/40 increasing he took.

I might hate saying it, but I would have offered Waiters a 6m + TO with the full MLE and seen if he would bite. And even a 6m no team option like Sullinger took in Toronto just because if it works out and he wants to stay, that is more valuable than if Barnes is so so for 1 more year.

Current Depth Chart: (as usual this is a rough draft taken from bbinsiders)
PG: Darren Collison
SG: Arron Afflalo, Garrett Temple, Ben McLemore, Lamar Patterson, Malachi Richardson
SF: Rudy Gay, Matt Barnes
PF: DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Casspi, Anthony Tolliver, Skal Labissiere
C: Willie Cauley-Stein, Kosta Koufos, Georgios Papagiannis

Casspi should shift down to sf, and otherwise its just a mess still.

Needs: A long term reason for Cousins to stay beyond his current contract. PG is a mess. Rudy Gay should be traded for the betterment of the team most likely.

Additional Thoughts:
Renegotiation and extension. Cousins becomes eligible on 9/30/16, although the Kings spent that money so its a moot point.

However, they could have offered him: $22,116,750 / $23,775,506 / $25,434,263
to replace his: $16,957,900 / $18,063,850 / free agent

Even with the cap at 110m in that third year, Cousins max would be ~31m under the current cap, so he would come out over 5m ahead. And get 5m a year more for the first 2 years (money now is better than money later), with an extra 36m in guaranteed salary in case anything ever happens. I would have been pushing on him hard to see if he would have considered it, even if that meant no Tolliver and Barnes.

Projected Win/Loss: 28-54 When you win 1 in 3 you get 27 and a third of a win.

Off-Season Grade: D+
There were things that get a B+/B easy -- the amazing Belli trade, Joerger, Skal at #28, moving down from #8 when the fit was bad, Afflalo.
There were things that I disliked to varying degrees -- Papagiannis at #13, not addressing more needs in the draft, 2nd year for Barnes, fit of Tolliver, 3 full guaranteed years for Temple. If you just took all that and ignored any context, it might be a B-.

But there is a big directional question over Sacramento. There is a giant pg issue that must be addressed. There is a (possibly, it might all be media driven as they like to make fun of the Kings and not take their jobs or credibility serious) disgruntled Rudy Gay who says he didn;t even check to see who Sacramento added to its roster. The franchise is 10 years without a playoff experience, and has one of the best big men in the league tweeting:
Read on Twitter

Everything needs to be geared around the actual situation, it doesn't happen in a void. And I think the situation is made worse with Cousins having just spent the Olympics playing with the best (that went) players in the league. We see players switch teams later with bonds formed at these international competitions (and All Star games) playing a big part with where they end up.

Last year I thought Sacramento needed to add some young core players around Cousins (and draft Mudiay). This year they went for young players in the draft, but not ones that inspire that they will build around Cousins instead of backing him and one of the other players up. And vets that feel more stop gap than future core, but cut into future room and leave a gaping hole at pg. Directionally it might not be floundering as bad as last season, but it still feels to be ignoring the big issues as time becomes more urgent, and for that I want to give a D.

Also, I like to suggest a trade for every team in these so here is mine for Sacramento: Cousins to the Celtics for everything you can get in terms of picks and youth. Cousins needs to be traded next offseason unless you get Lowry to sign on and carry the weight with him. You can weight till then and see if you get a difference maker, but the smart move might be to trade Cousins this trade deadline instead. I've been arguing for what feels like years now that Sacramento doesn't need to and shouldn't trade Cousins. I've passed that point, they just boxed themselves out of a good keeping him plan at this point imo.

bondom34 wrote:bondom34 Review

Key Losses:
Seth Curry

Losses:
George Karl (HC)
Rajon Rondo
Marco Belinelli
Quincy Acy
James Anderson
Caron Butler
Eric Moreland
Duje Dukan

I actually think Curry is a bigger loss than Rondo.

Draft:
#8 traded back
#59 Isaiah Cousins

Trades:
Marco Belinelli to Charlotte Hornets for the rights to Malachi Richardson (22nd)
Marquese Chriss (8th) to Phoenix Suns for a 2020 Detroit Pistons second-rounder and the rights to three players — Georgios Papagiannis (13th), Skal Labissiere (28th) and Bogdan Bogdanovic (27th).

Free Agency:

Love the coaching hire. This to me was a home run and the perfect fit, if Joerger can't get to Cousins, I think that's it. He's a great young coach who consistently achieved and had solid defense in Memphis. Free agency was overall fine, AA was a great contract and nothing that was a really awful deal to me. The draft was mixed. I don't mind trading back but didn't get the Papagiannis pick, that said Skal falling may have saved their draft. Overall nothing I really hated too much in the end.

SG: Arron Afflalo, Garrett Temple, Ben McLemore, Lamar Patterson, Malachi Richardson

Needs:

A better PG, and/or a backup PG. Generally talent all around.

Additional Thoughts:
I don't have a ton here, not much I hated, other than the coach not much I loved, but can't complain much.
Projected Win/Loss:

35-47
Off-Season Grade: B

dbrandon wrote:dbrandon Review

Key Losses:
Rajon Rondo
Seth Curry

Losing Rondo is probably a net gain at this point—he's not the right PG for this roster (honestly I'm having a hard time figuring out where he'd fit). Collison works fine, at least for now. But his pending legal trouble makes this a problematic position.

I think Curry is going to be a bigger loss than most non-Kings fans think. He was one of the few guys who really looked like he was getting after it on both ends at the end of last year. He got in on defense and did his job, shot decently, and showed a little off-the-bounce. Seeing him go to the Mavs has to hurt.

Losses:
George Karl (HC)
Marco Belinelli
Quincy Acy
James Anderson
Caron Butler
Eric Moreland
Duje Dukan

Karl tried to make a roster built to play like Memphis and make them play like the late 00s Denver Nuggets, which went about as well as you'd expect. Add in his "drop back into the paint and concede the 3" defense and you have a recipe for a disaster of a season on both ends of the court.

None of the rest of these guys are a huge loss. Acy will be missed for sure, but he's replaceable. Butler would be great as a locker-room leader, but he wants PT somewhere, and he probably shouldn't get it in SAC. The last thing they need is someone else on the team unhappy about role.

Draft:
#8 traded back
#59 Isaiah Cousins

I'm still struggling to figure out why they drafted 2 big men when that's the one thing the roster is pretty well-stocked on. Unless Koufos is headed out. And it still doesn't make a ton of sense to me either.

And before Kings fans get all defensive and say "you don't know what you're talking about", I follow more Kings coverage than any other team but the Thunder. I know who Ham and Bruski are and who to listen to and who not to listen to in Kings coverage, and follow everyone from Carmichael Dave to STR on Twitter. I'm one of Vlade's biggest non-Kings defenders on the board, generally. And it still doesn't make sense to me—at least not unless they're looking for Cousins insurance.

The Richardson pick is solid enough, though I'm hesitant about Syracuse guards, who generally turn out to be fool's gold. Papagiannis was a reach. Skal is a good pick, and that far back in the draft I like the Isaiah Cousins pick too.

Trades:

Belinelli was a fleecing of the Hornets, pure and simple. I thought they'd have to ATTACH a pick to get rid of him. Vlade gets a 2 thumbs up for that one.

I actually like trading back (depending on context) for the Kings, though I might have chosen draft targets slightly differently. Bogdanovic might be a sneaky good pickup.

Free Agency:

I LOVE bringing in Joerger as the coach for this roster. Not a huge fan of Afflalo—he's been existing on reputation only on defense for probably 2 years—but he's at least a competent shooting guard, which is something that's been lacking on the Kings roster for a while.

Temple is fine, Barnes and Tolliver are excellent pickups—solid vets who can contribute. I'm surprised Barnes got that much at his age, but for the Kings I'm OK with slight overpays.

Why this has Casspi and Cousins at the 4 I don't know.

Needs:
My kingdom for a point guard. This team is crying out for someone who can get the ball where it needs to go. I'd be interested to see if BMac gets traded for PG help. Don't think he'll get a lot in return, but there could be something with the Jazz for Mack, for example.

In the larger sense, the team needs to prove it can leave the drama behind, that the front office is stable, and that the team can be a destination for free agents. Kings have done some damage to their reputation over the last several years. Time to fix it.

Additional Thoughts:
I'm really rooting for this team.

Projected Win/Loss: 42 wins

Off-Season Grade:B. I can't grade them higher because of the surplus of big men and lack of ballhandlers.

Slava wrote:Slava Review

Key Losses:

Rajon Rondo

Good riddance is all I can say here. While he seemed to provide a bit of maturity in the Cousins - George Karl beef, he is simply not worth the headache for a new coach to deal with in what will already be a difficult new assignment. His tendency to stop the ball for hoarding assists and passing up open looks is degenerative for any offense no matter his pretty assist rates. He was also routinely trying and missing hollywood passes leading to a high turnover rate on fast break opportunities.

Losses:

George Karl (HC)
Marco Belinelli
Quincy Acy
Seth Curry
James Anderson
Caron Butler
Eric Moreland
Duje Dukan

I'm glad they moved on from George Karl and while there is no guarantee that a new coach will fare any better given the bad work environment that seems to fester around the franchise that circus was getting a little too stale for everyone and Karl, a cancer survivor does not need this at his age.

The departures of Acy and Curry is inexplicable. They gave opportunities to both and given the returns, both predictably opted out of their contracts. Acy was a fan favourite, being one of the few on the roster to show tremendous tenacity and hustle whenever he took the court. Instead they replaced them by investing $18 mil between Afflalo and Tolliver, while the Mavs signed Acy and Curry for around $4 mil combined.

Draft:
#8 traded back
#59 Isaiah Cousins

Isiah Cousins is a very good pick and he might end up having the best NBA career of the 4 they drafted.

Malachi Richardson suffers from bad shot selection, streaky shooting and a degree of selfishness that this team just doesn't need. While he does have a good size and wing span for his position, his lack of quickness or overall unimpressive athleticism is not encouraging.

Papagiannis seems a slow footed big who was probably picked 10 spots higher than he was projected in the most optimistic big boards.

The Skal punt is not bad considering he fell into their hands at 28 and they could use a stretch big on cheap salary. Picking him at 13 and Papagiannis at 28 would have been a lot more explicable.

Trades:

The Belinelli trade was good piece of business, while I don't think he's nearly as bad as he looked on this team, it just wasn't working out for one reason or another and that was a lot of salary to move so getting a first round pick for him is as good as it gets.

I hinted my displeasure at the draft day trade in the Suns review. First of all its pointless to trade down in a weak draft, secondly they are the last team in the league that needed more centers. With Cousins being the premier player, WCS and Koufos on very affordable deals they have probably the best center depth in the league.

So unless the plan is to entertain a Cousins trade or deal WCS for a young PG/wing, those rookies will barely get the development time they need on this roster. Also worth mentioning that their best line ups last season featured going small with either Gay or Casspi at the 4 with Cousins playing his natural position as a center. May be a smarter franchise could have factored that information into their decision making process.

Having traded away about 4/5 of their past lottery picks, this doesn't exactly seem like the ideal organization to be developing rookies either. So the best idea would have been finding a trade for a veteran or just picking the local kid, Chriss who seemed genuinely excited in going there and the pyrotechnics generated by his athleticism could have helped create some excitement.

Free Agency:
Malachi Richardson rookie sclae

Getting Dave Joerger was their best business this offseason and I'm pretty sure the Kings offering to double his salary went a long way into this being a successful courtship. I respect his ability even if he probably acted a bit unprofessional in Memphis with repeated requests to interview for other jobs while being under contract. His demeanour and approach to basketball might be a breath of fresh air to the franchise, unless ofcourse the franchise gets to him before he gets to them.

Getting Matt Barnes is not half bad considering the dearth of quality wings on the market.

I don't mind the Afflalo and Tolliver deals in general but the fact that they probably let go of better players from their own roster last season who went onto sign cheaper deals elsewhere is not encouraging.

Garrett Temple deal makes Doc Rivers look good for the money he gave Wes Johnson.

(Read in the voice of the kid from sixth sense): I see one PG.

The solo PG might be facing suspension for domestic violence charges.

What's the plan here? Is there going to be some kind of avant grande exhibition of PG less basketball as a silent protest against the small ball movement?

Has Kendall Marshall received a call yet or are they waiting for Mario Chalmers before that? I'd build Kupchak a shrine if he flips Jose Calderon to them for a pick after getting a couple of seconds to absorb that salary from Chicago.

For the sake of long suffering Kings fans, I hope this is a roster in construction.

Needs:
More PGs and less centers.

Additional Thoughts:
Its going to be interesting how they go from a basketball perspective. The owner seems to want an uptempo team but with the lack of a good PG and an overabundance of big men along with a coach who had his success building a slow team reliant on bucking the league wide trend of pace, they are going in exactly the opposite direction.

Even being a Lakers fan and witnessing the rivalry from the early 00s as my first taste of NBA basketball I pity the Kings fans. Season after season appears to be a slog to endure. Cousins seems like the kind of person who sucks the joy out of every room he walks into and they certainly aren't winning games with him so its safe to assume they cannot move forward until they trade him.

Projected Win/Loss: 27-55.

Off-Season Grade: D
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Sacramento early offseason in review (HW/bondom34/dbrandon/Slava) 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I can't give them an honest off season grade until I see something happen at pg, whether it be the room exception or a trade.

The Marco trade was fantastic, the trade with Phoenix was a good one especially with Bogdanvoic coming next year when we may not have a pick. But is he 100% coming over?

The Papa pick is controversial at best. You have to take Vlade's word he didn't think he'd be there at 22 and even tried to trade back to get something else and him with the later pick. Never will know if that was true or smoke, questionable pick regardless.

I like Richardson and Skal as far as the draft goes.

SG has been horrendous here for years, McLemore to Thornton. An aged Affalo may not be the best option around, but its surely an upgrade here.

Barnes signing is also nice, as we are looking for a cultural shift and philosophy shift. So to get a guy like him when he could be chasing a ring is nice. Sacramento cost premium for his services however.

Joerger is by far the most important addition this off season. Some of you guys giving the Kings a D for that alone is inappropriate. It's funny remembering hearing people say no one wants to come to Sacramento, chuckling about the Karl situation but giving the team a crummy grade despite this.

But I could go anywhere from a C- to an A- depending on what happens at PG, too early for me to tell.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Great reviews, guys. Interesting that we have two B's and two D's...yet I'm not terribly surprised since IMHO the Kings had the mixed-est of mixed bags. Lots to like and lots to question. I've been thinking about this for a while and have divided their moves into good and bad. (As always, this is strictly my opinion and I claim no authority.)

Getting Vivek out of the picture. This was tops on my list of priorities in the Kings' Team of the Day thread, and it seems like they've done a pretty good job. Divac is now the man, and while his decision-making can be questioned, this is a far sight better than last year when the Kings' narrative was "what absurd idea is Crazy Vivek going to come up with this week?" Ranadive was the last thing an owner should be: a huge distraction. That, at least, has abated.

Hiring Dave Joerger. Loved this, one of my favourite offseason coaching changes. He wants to be there, he's experienced and has won a lot of games, he bonds with his players, he coaches defence and intensity. They were never going to be in the running for a Thibs or even a Vogel, but Joerger is the next tier down and they did very well to land him.

The Belinelli trade. Not much to re-hash here; Belinelli never fit in in Sacramento, yet they got a late pick for him. Great job.

The #8 for #13-plus trade. Liked this a lot too. In a middling draft, the Kings re-stocked some of the very bare prospect shelves by hooking up with a team that needed to consolidate. Very strong move.

Picking Papagiannis at #13. And then they did this. Maybe Papa turns out to be a great player, but I didn't like this pick for direction, roster fit, or draft value. Just ugh.

Picking Richardson at #22. Purple for good/bad. Good pick at this range, but if you were to rank all the reactions you want to see from your draft picks, "repeatedly mumbling 'everything happens for a reason'" has got to be near the bottom. He's going to have to get over it and buy in, or else.

Picking Labissiere at #28. Roster fit still a mess, but at least this was really good value.

Signing Aron Afflalo, Matt Barnes, and Anthony Tolliver. Afflalo was fine, Barnes was a great add, and Tolliver got overpaid (with guaranteed money next year? why?). In a vacuum they all have some justifications, but as a strategy, Sacramento can't keep churning through expiring vets like this. At some point they have to build a team with guys who want to be there long-term...

...but not Garrett Temple. 3/$24M? What? I actually like Temple (he was in my "guys I'd trade a panic 2nd rounder for when Exum went down" list) but this was nuts.

Not picking up more PG help. If Collison gets suspended, this team could find itself in a huge hole before things even really start. Temple is going to be under even more pressure.

Overall, mixed. Some good things happened here, followed by head-scratchers. And yet it's hard to even grade, because there is so much left to do (it feels like 20% of the roster (Gay/McLemore/Koufos) is still on the trade block). Vlade still has a lot of credibility to restore to the franchise. And do we know yet what the vision of this team is?

In this end I'm going to wimp out and take a C+. Positives and negatives.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#4 » by giberish » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Perhaps it's just me but I'm continually amazed with Afflalo's continued reputation of competence. If you're just looking for a Belinelli replacement then he can do that, but he's not an improvement (Sac got an extra 1st out of the swap so that's a win but they still don't have a starting SG).

I would have liked to see a #8 deal that did something. Get a starting SG, get a starting-quality big PG to cover backup minutes and play alongside Collison, get picks back from Philly.

Temple isn't that bad of a signing if you're thinking of using him as a defense-first SG/SF (mostly SG given the Kings roster), though given his age and likely lack of other interest at the $$ Sacramento was offering shorter years would have made more sense (2yrs, ideally with TO for 3rd year). At that point you need another PG though, and not Afflalo. Granted the FA options weren't deep and even at the same $$ Lin may have preferred the clear starting role in BK but even throwing $12-15M at Deron Williams would have helped compared to their current roster (and I know Williams isn't good either but he's a viable rotation player). What it looks like now is that they expect Temple to be their backup PG which looks like an offensive disaster.

Barnes and Tolliver are fine, but if you needed extra $$ to make a workable guard rotation the team has solid forward depth just adding one (especially if you assume WCS will have a bigger role this year).
HartfordWhalers

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:48 pm

loserX wrote:And do we know yet what the vision of this team is?

If you can legitimately ask this question on August 22nd, can the grade really be a C+? I liked the mixed bag enough that on its surface I might have gone B-, but had to jump down to a D+ because when you have that as a question that is as high as I would go.
RexRyan
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#6 » by RexRyan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 pm

I voted D - there's no direction, and certainly no endgame, for this franchise.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#7 » by loserX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

If you can legitimately ask this question on August 22nd, can the grade really be a C+? I liked the mixed bag enough that on its surface I might have gone B-, but had to jump down to a D+ because when you have that as a question that is as high as I would go.

Fair question. But it's not like Divac came into the season with something good that fell apart...last year was even worse. He built a half-court team with FA retreads and then hired George Karl to drive a tractor like it was a racecar.

This summer he got some youth, he tried to land shooters (Tolliver, Afflalo and Richardson), he added some perimeter defenders (Barnes and Temple). They had a lot of holes to fill and he tried to fill them all; it comes off really haphazard, so I won't give him a great grade, but I don't want to judge him too harshly for that either.

Like I said, I don't blame people for giving a B, the team did some of the more important things right. And I don't blame people for giving a D; some things are still a mess. That's why I wimped out :D (EDIT - I will be *very* interested to see how the voting turns out on this one.)
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#8 » by Karmaloop » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:11 pm

And that's what I don't like about the Kings' offseason, there is no general goal or direction. At least not one that comes at first glance. The Kings needed to come to a relative conclusion this offseason whether or not they wanted to build around DMC, and the decision to retain him seemed like their choice given their lack of move. But instead of supporting them with quality veteran players, they opted to grab another center prospect with their first pick and middling FA talents. Neither of those moves seem like moves to appease DMC's desire to win.

I get the move down from #8, I really do. You don't want to lose value from a pick when there was a clear top player available by picking against need, but also don't want to grab yet another big man. So they get good value by moving down, but the problem is they took another center and they already had two natural centers on their roster already. So not only did you decide not to move DMC, a natural center, but you took another one that played the same position. So their big acquisition from the draft probably doesn't help them until 2017 at the earliest. And then their FA acquisitions seemed like an overpay and clogging up future moneys.

Obviously, I liked the ability to extract value out of Belinelli, and the hiring of Dave Joeger while doesn't push the needle for me should level the boat. Honestly, I think he rode much of the success from Lionel Hollins and that core and just kept it going. Either way, it should be an upgrade over Karl. I'm not crazy about the Skal pick, mainly because I thought that most of his draft process helium was because of his high school stock being so high. If he was a less touted HS prospect, would he have been thought of so highly? Probably not. Good value, but not a special pick.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#9 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Karmaloop wrote:

And that's what I don't like about the Kings' offseason, there is no general goal or direction. At least not one that comes at first glance. The Kings needed to come to a relative conclusion this offseason whether or not they wanted to build around DMC, and the decision to retain him seemed like their choice given their lack of move. But instead of supporting them with quality veteran players, they opted to grab another center prospect with their first pick and middling FA talents. Neither of those moves seem like moves to appease DMC's desire to win.

I'd argue that the biggest thing the Kings need to do at this point is stabilize their public image, both in the eyes of the general public and around the league. We talk about FA signings as if they occur in a vacuum, but it may well be that Divac talked to other guys and Temple/Tolliver/Barnes et al were the guys who wanted to come.

Perception's likely part of the reason the contracts are a little higher than is ideal, too. That's part of the reason I didn't ding them too badly for overpaying. Vlade is working from behind.

They need guys who want to be there, they need guys who want to win, they need guys who have some level of character, and even if the talent's not entirely there I think they took some positive steps down that path.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#10 » by Nolan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I voted C. I like the Joerger hiring, the deals on draft day and adding Temple and Tolliver but I can't say that I'm crazy about any of the guys they drafted and that roster is pretty confusing. They still have a massive hole at PG, I'm guessing they plan on using Temple there at times but they still at the very least need another warm body especially considering that Collison could be suspended.

If we were rating their offseason based on strangeness rather than quality they'd definitely get an A+ in my books.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#11 » by Kings2013 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Just read HW not respecting Collison, and that's as far as the eyes will read

Collison was designated to be the starter of this team because the team had an outstanding statistical unit with him, and he fits perfectly the spacing, ball movement and full court pressure we need at the position.

I'll give it a B, and get into it when I have more time. But won't read more
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,509

Post#12 » by codydaze » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:34 pm

dbrandon wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:

I'd argue that the biggest thing the Kings need to do at this point is stabilize their public image, both in the eyes of the general public and around the league. We talk about FA signings as if they occur in a vacuum, but it may well be that Divac talked to other guys and Temple/Tolliver/Barnes et al were the guys who wanted to come.

Perception's likely part of the reason the contracts are a little higher than is ideal, too. That's part of the reason I didn't ding them too badly for overpaying. Vlade is working from behind.

They need guys who want to be there, they need guys who want to win, they need guys who have some level of character, and even if the talent's not entirely there I think they took some positive steps down that path.

Definitely agree here. Sure, this free agency could been better in a perfect world but at the same time the narrative is that Sacramento is a mess so no one wants to come here, so which is it? You can't expect us, at this point, to strike gold in FA when our image is still in shambles. For what was realistic I think we did just about as good as we could (in my opinion a B- optimistically but more of a solid C). What we did was bring in some vets that should be able to stabilize the drama and calm the waters a bit here. No long term deals with the exception of Temple who I'm fine with having as a solid bench guy. Tolliver was teammate of the year in the player union last year and Afflalo and Barnes will be good locker room gets too. Seems like Vlade & co. knew that winning and making a huge leap this year wasn't all that realistic and are looking at 2017. In that, we did really well. The plan to bring Bogdan over next year is a part of this offseason that is really being overlooked in my opinion.

tl/dr: This offseason was about stabilizing the image and setting up for next offseason's moves.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#13 » by BullyKing » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Kings2013 wrote:Just read HW not respecting Collison, and that's as far as the eyes will read

Collison was designated to be the starter of this team because the team had an outstanding statistical unit with him, and he fits perfectly the spacing, ball movement and full court pressure we need at the position.

I like how you refuse to read what HW wrote because of "disrespect" to Collison while the first Kings fan that responded said it was an incomplete until they do something at PG.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HartfordWhalers

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Kings2013 wrote:Just read HW not respecting Collison, and that's as far as the eyes will read

Would seem clearly best for you to personally not read something that might challenge your assumptions if thats the attitude you have about those assumptions.

That said, there wasn't a lot negative in my review about Collison. But then again, I actually read it!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Kings2013 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:39 pm

BullyKing wrote:

I like how you refuse to read what HW wrote because of "disrespect" to Collison while the first Kings fan that responded said it was an incomplete until they do something at PG.

The something IMO won't be a starter. They may need another body there, but there is a reason it wasn't a point of emphasis this off season
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#16 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Ctrl-F Collison in HW's post:

Depth charts. That's it. The eyes are safe, they can read farther.

Collison is solid. But is he going to play 48 minutes a game, and is he going to do it if he's in jail? Or is Afflalo going to run the point?
HartfordWhalers

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:43 pm

codydaze wrote:Tolliver was teammate of the year in the player union last year

So was Landry!!! :)

codydaze wrote:tl/dr: This offseason was about stabilizing the image and setting up for next offseason's moves.

For stabilizing, having any experienced backup pg would help. For setting up next years moves, I'm not a fan of Temple and Barnes (PO) still on the books (or Tolliver's partial gtd).

I threw out examples of what I would have considered better stabilizing one year options in my review, would be curious what you agree and disagree with.
HartfordWhalers

Post#18 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

The something IMO won't be a starter. They may need another body there, but there is a reason it wasn't a point of emphasis this off season

So, playing along and keeping in mind that you might not read this and either way might not actually respond to its content versus some perceived content, how did I disrespect Collison again to the point that you stopped reading for fear of what I might have said?

This is too funny.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Kings2013 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

So, playing along and keeping in mind that you might not read this and either way might not actually respond to its content versus some perceived content, how did I disrespect Collison again to the point that you stopped reading for fear of what I might have said?

This is too funny.

Lol. I'm not reading because I know that might be the majority position :) and my nerves can't take a thread of it. Regular season starts soon though, proof will be in pudding.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Kings2013 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:57 pm

dbrandon wrote:

Ctrl-F Collison in HW's post:

Depth charts. That's it. The eyes are safe, they can read farther.

Collison is solid. But is he going to play 48 minutes a game, and is he going to do it if he's in jail? Or is Afflalo going to run the point?

I agree, they need another body

Return to Trades and Transactions