Which cities should get an expansion team?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Which 2 cities should get NBA teams?

Louisville Kentucky
5%
Seattle
46%
Vancouver
15%
Las Vegas
16%
San Diego
3%
San Jose
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
St Louis
8%
Mexico City
2%
Another major market city like Chicago, but not NY/LA
1%

Total votes: 178

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Which cities should get an expansion team? 

Post#21 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:31 pm

I am split on expansion.

The roster nerd in me wants it because of how fun it would be to have the Expansion Draft, different cap for expansion teams, etc.

The NBA fan in me doesn't want the league watered down with 30 more players, 2 more coaching staffs, 6 more refs, etc.

The guy who wants a job in the NBA really wants it to happen! :)

If it does happen, Seattle is a lock. I would also go back to Vancouver. Then move the Memphis to the East. In addition, I would give the Grizzlies nickname back to Vancouver and change it to the Memphis Blues.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#22 » by YourBuddy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Seattle and either of Vancouver or Vegas.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#23 » by the_process » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:40 pm

NHL and NFL are getting ready to move to Vegas. Let's see how that goes first.

Seattle is a lock.

2nd team should be Vancouver, but the NBA loves their quirky little markets.

So in that vein, I would vote for the Kentucky Colonels, in Louisville.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#24 » by YourBuddy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I am split on expansion.

The roster nerd in me wants it because of how fun it would be to have the Expansion Draft, different cap for expansion teams, etc.

The NBA fan in me doesn't want the league watered down with 30 more players, 2 more coaching staffs, 6 more refs, etc.

If it does happen, Seattle is a lock. I would also go back to Vancouver. Then move the Memphis to the East. In addition, I would give the Grizzlies nickname back to Vancouver and change it to the Memphis Blues.

Minnesota to the Central division makes so much more sense. The only teams in their division that are even close to the distance that some of the teams in the Central division are Denver and OKC. The Wolves average distance from the Central Division teams is 557 miles. The Wolves average distance from the Northwest division is just over double that at 1,166.1 miles.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,616

Post#25 » by nomansland » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Went with Seattle and Vancouver.

Seattle shouldn't need any explanation.

Vancouver because:

- Their attendance was respectable despite having a bad team and terrible owner.
- Like Seattle, their team was hijacked, but because it was pre-internet few people remember.
- It's probably time for another Canadian team- the country's population is over 35 million.
- A 3-team Pacific NW rivalry would be good for the league (it's a lot of fun in the MLS).
- The only other major sport in Vancouver is the NHL, so it would get lots of attention/media coverage.
- It would make travel more fair for Portland and Seattle, and even the other West coast teams.
- It has a sizable Chinese population and could evolve into "China's team" especially if they got a good Chinese player.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:59 pm

YourBuddy wrote:

Minnesota to the Central division makes so much more sense. The only teams in their division that are even close to the distance that some of the teams in the Central division are Denver and OKC. The Wolves average distance from the Central Division teams is 557 miles. The Wolves average distance from the Northwest division is just over double that at 1,166.1 miles.

What makes the most sense is doing away with divisions all together. But if they keep them, Memphis is a decent chunk further East then Minnesota, so they would be the one that goes. The NBA likes to cut it right down the middle as much as possible.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#27 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm going with Boise, Idaho and Anchorage, Alaska, just to be difficult.

The Boise Mr. Potato Heads and the Anchorage Ice Holes.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#28 » by Diamondman07 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:40 pm

I'd think it would have to be Louisville for the East. Little known fact, Louisville has the highest ratings for watching NBA than any other city without a team. Also little known fact, every year Louisville has been among the top 3 cities watching the NBA draft. Louisville also has one of the premier and newer Arenas in the country just waiting on an NBA team.

Back during the ABA days, Louisville had the Kentucky Colonels whom were one of the better franchises. The city of Louisville has proven its self and has deep history in basketball.

I'd pick Seattle for the West team.
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#29 » by Colbinii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:57 pm

YourBuddy wrote:

Agree completely. As a wolves fan, I don't care for any team in our division and I don't get excited about the teams. In the NFL, I love the NFC North division because all the teams are so close.

I definitely disagree with getting rid of divisions. I agree with getting rid of division winners automatically getting a top seed, but divisions help with rivalries, which are healthy in sports.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
YourBuddy wrote:

Agree completely. As a wolves fan, I don't care for any team in our division and I don't get excited about the teams. In the NFL, I love the NFC North division because all the teams are so close.

I definitely disagree with getting rid of divisions. I agree with getting rid of division winners automatically getting a top seed, but divisions help with rivalries, which are healthy in sports.

Not trolling, but name one good divisional rivalry in the NBA that wouldn't exist if it was a conference? They are created in football and baseball because how often the teams play, relative to how often they play the rest of the league.

In the NBA, where everyone plays each other equally, teams develop rivalries outside of the division all the time. Knicks/Heat, Pacers/Knicks, Celtics/Heat, Warriors/Thunder, Spurs/Lakers, etc.

Many with the league will tell you that divisions exist simply to make sure teams have something to compete for and a banner to hang. Silly as it may be, that is a fairly known truth around the league.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#31 » by DocRI » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I went with Seattle (no explanation needed) and Louisville.

Here's what intrigues me about Louisville — between U. of Kentucky and Louisville, Kentucky is, and always has been, one of THE college basketball meccas of America. And history has shown that rabid college sports fan bases that have never had a pro team will absolutely flock if/when they get one. Look at OKC, and that's even more of a college football state! Before them was Charlotte, which went so well that the NFL and NHL soon followed into the market. And before them (and before my time!) were the Pacers in Indy, which again, went so well that the NFL followed. I know the particulars of those teams vary (some were expansion while others relocation), but the common trend was that the fans were already there, which is backed up by the following quote from Diamondman07 —

Diamondman07 wrote:I'd think it would have to be Louisville for the East. Little known fact, Louisville has the highest ratings for watching NBA than any other city without a team. Also little known fact, every year Louisville has been among the top 3 cities watching the NBA draft.

So you've got a whole state of fanatical hoops fans just waiting to go bonkers. Sooners fans and Cowboys fans united in love of the Thunder, as did Tar Heels fans and Blue Devils fans for the Hornets; can you imagine the fan base you'd create by combining Wildcats fans and Cardinals fans behind the ONLY pro sports franchise in the market (and first in its history)?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#32 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Village Idiot wrote:It would be very cool to revive the Cincinnati Royals name.

originally the Rochester Royals. now the Kings after a stop in KC if I'm remembering right. from that era: Syracuse Nats now the Sixers; and the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons now in Detroit.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#33 » by NBAMythbuster » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 pm

This watering down argument has never held any water at all. Even if it did, I wouldn't care, but the growth in the number of teams has not kept pace with the growth in players around the country/world and the investment in player development that has gone hand in hand with that. There is plenty of talent.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#34 » by TKainZero » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Seattle

Tampa Bay Area.
They have a NFL/mlb/nhl team already. Have a facility that houses a nhl team
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:01 pm

TKainZero wrote:Seattle

Tampa Bay Area.
They have a NFL/mlb/nhl team already. Have a facility that houses a nhl team

The Magic would fight a team in Tampa as hard as they possibly could. Opposite of whenever Orlando has been mentioned for the NFL, MLB or NHL.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#36 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 pm

San Diego and Seattle.
geometry
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#37 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:56 pm

I'd wait and see if N.O. can sustain their franchise before bringing in a second team behind Seattle.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#38 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:59 pm

Mr. E wrote:I really don't know why Columbus is never mentioned as often in these considerations. They have enough population difference to separate them from Cleveland. My guess is that all too often they are just considered a "college town" (same thing happens with Austin).

Columbus would have a very nice corporate base to draw upon for suites and box seats. They could be the first team that I know of sponsored by Victoria's Secret! :D

The cavs own Columbus.

It's not a good professional market. Like you said they are a college town. A lot of transplants from other cities. They can barely support a hockey team.

There's better options than Columbus.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#39 » by FrontPageNews » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:02 am

What about another Florida team? Jacksonville? Tampa?
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#40 » by eagereyez » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 am

Add Seattle and Vancouver to the West. Send Minnesota to the East. A Wolves/Bucks rivalry would be awesome.

Return to Trades and Transactions