Things went south, Draymond or Klay?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who's more likely to be gone from the Bay?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 am

Draymond Green
63%
Klay Thompson
37%

Total votes: 49

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,375

Re: Things went south, Draymond or Klay? 

Post#21 » by M-C-G » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:06 pm

This seems obvious, you keep Draymond...Klay isn't necessarily redundant but with Durant in the mix, getting rid of Klay wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue as it would be without Durant around.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#22 » by QRich3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Is this just based on Strauss sensationalistic report? cause it was just a hit piece and most of the substance was based on a quote by Marreese Speights that he pretty much denied on twitter as soon as the article came out...

But yeah, Klay would go before Green unless he becomes so toxic that they can't have him around. Neither is very likely imo.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#23 » by DeathLineup » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:29 pm

QRich3 wrote:Is this just based on Strauss sensationalistic report? cause it was just a hit piece and most of the substance was based on a quote by Marreese Speights that he pretty much denied on twitter as soon as the article came out...

It's just Mo trying to find a way out. He instantly shifted into defense mode after the article went public. He even wasn't brave enough to tweet directly to Ethan.

Very understandable. He definitely doesn't want to be perceived as a bastard by his friends in the Bay and the public. Also this case could possibly hurt his image in his new locker room.

All in all, totally trust Ethan's reporting integrity for this article.
Read on Twitter
#thevillain
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by QRich3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:42 pm

rio_hm wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Is this just based on Strauss sensationalistic report? cause it was just a hit piece and most of the substance was based on a quote by Marreese Speights that he pretty much denied on twitter as soon as the article came out...

It's just Mo trying to find a way out. He instantly shifted into defense mode after the article went public. He even wasn't brave enough to tweet directly to Ethan.

Very understandable. He definitely doesn't want to be perceived as a bastard by his friends in the Bay and the public. Also this case could possibly hurt his image in his new locker room.

Read on Twitter

I don't. He has a tendency for drama and sensationalism and often exaggerates normal stuff into a story that fits his narrative. Not to mention he has a history with Green.

And unless I'm missing something, that tweet you linked only says that we should trust him cause he's connected?
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by DeathLineup » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 pm

QRich3 wrote:
rio_hm wrote:

Read on Twitter

I don't. He has a tendency for drama and sensationalism and often exaggerates normal stuff into a story that fits his narrative. Not to mention he has a history with Green.

And unless I'm missing something, that tweet you linked only says that we should trust him cause he's connected?

Obviously, Ethan's tweet is an indirect respond to Mo's self-defense tweet. Also would translates Ethan's tweet as he actually have the recording of Mo saying those things he denied.
#thevillain
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by QRich3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:49 pm

rio_hm wrote:Obviously, Ethan's tweet is an indirect respond to Mo's self-defense tweet. Also would translates Ethan's tweet as he actually have the recording of Mo saying those things he denied.

Unless he actually makes it public, just saying he has it is as credible as the original quote. Like I said, he has a history of out-of-context quotes to increase the drama in his stories. And if you're gonna base a whole article on a quote that the quoted guy is gonna deny, you shouldn't be using that quote to begin with, even if you have it recorded.

By the way, as a Clippers fan, I would love nothing more than unnecessary drama breaking up the Warriors, and a Clippers player originating it all :lol:
But this smells funny...
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#27 » by Smitty731 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Unless Green was causing so many problems that he had to go, he's more important to the Warriors than Thompson is. That isn't a knock on Thompson, but Golden State could find another player similar to him before they could find another Green.

Green at this point is arguably more valuable than anyone else on that roster. That was actually how I read that article. He's so valuable that the dumb stuff he does is almost all that could sink them. Minus major injuries of course.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#28 » by AingesBurner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Favors for Draymond.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#29 » by nomansland » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:09 am

In that article it pretty much says Kerr acknowledges that without Green they wouldn't get as far as they did. "Bad character" guys can still fit within a winning system and you need people willing to do dirty work and not just score. Other examples would be Rodman and Wallace.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#30 » by reload141 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:20 am

Pretty much if either became available Boston would be 1st in line but Draymond is definitely way more valuable.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#31 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:54 am

The GSW beat writer with a rep for sensationalizing out-of-context quotes is Diamond Leung, not Ethan Sherwood Strauss.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#32 » by Commodor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:38 am

Ethan Strauss can be pretentious, but if anything, he has historically been accused of being too much of a warrior-lover. And the article is topped with Speight's quotes, which I believe are true, but has plenty of other worrying examples. Authenticity seems fine to me.

Personally I knew that Draymond could be a significant issue well before this article.
- The dick snap was his second snapchat offense in less than a year. You'd think he'd learn to cut it out after posting a 118mph speeding snap.
- The bar "slap" was against a college student. Who was with his girlfriend. Draymond was with his two buddies. Very hard to paint that as anything other than Draymond being a punk.
- Everyone predicted he would be suspended throughout last season. He got suspended in the finals - exactly as predicted. AND he got suspended for hitting someone in the groin a week after doing the exact same offense.

Not to mention the multiple embarrassing and harassing comments Strauss brought up from his past. Those were just the ones that stood out to me in the past 6 months.

He has always been a fiery personality. It sparks his game and he is still a top 15 player in this league. He brings innumerable positives and the warriors will need more to cut ties with him, but that does not mean it will not happen.

Bringing this back to "Trades and Transactions"

IF* the warriors decide to move on, it will be from Draymond

If it goes down, I see a 3 team trade.
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6723417

GSW In: Demarcus Cousins
GSW Out: Draymond Green + McCaw/Jones/Looney
Why: Cousins has a long history of being chummy with Curry/Klay/KD. Plus they will need bigs if Dray left, not guards.

Sac In: Jordan Clarkson/Julius Randle/Damian Jones (my guess from the 3 options GSW could give)
Sac Out: Demarcus Cousins
Why: Cousins is in his last year so this is likely one of the better offers they'll get. Youth, talent and depth. If they move Gay, Koufus and Afflalo for some picks and talent they are well on their way to a rebuild.

LAL In: Draymond Green
LAL Out: Jordan Clarkson + Julius Randle
Why: Draymond seems to have a special relationship with Luke Walton. The core of Russel - Ingram - Green is something lakerland should be able to get on board with, while Deng, Mozgov and Lou are strong complimentary pieces.

I don't really think that GSW will ever get to that point. But if they do this is my prediction.
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,383

Post#33 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 am

Lakers get Green for Clarkson and Randle?

Getting Green is good but getting Green without giving up DAR and Ingram is Great.

Lakers says where do we sign...
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by DeathLineup » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 am

ivang101 wrote:IF* the warriors decide to move on, it will be from Draymond

Why: Cousins has a long history of being chummy with Curry/Klay/KD. Plus they will need bigs if Dray left, not guards.

Sac In: Jordan Clarkson/Julius Randle/Damian Jones (my guess from the 3 options GSW could give)
Why: Cousins is in his last year so this is likely one of the better offers they'll get. Youth, talent and depth. If they move Gay, Koufus and Afflalo for some picks and talent they are well on their way to a rebuild.

Why: Draymond seems to have a special relationship with Luke Walton. The core of Russel - Ingram - Green is something lakerland should be able to get on board with, while Deng, Mozgov and Lou are strong complimentary pieces.

I don't really think that GSW will ever get to that point. But if they do this is my prediction.

Cut off the Lakers from the deal. Draymond for Boogie straight up. Maybe include some cute fillers. That's an interesting trade idea.

And yeah, Cousins was in the Splash Bros hype train before Warriors become as good as they are right now.
#thevillain
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#35 » by bigmean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 am

I would take him for this package to philly

GS gets Richaun Holmes, Dario Saric,Timothe Luwawu Cabarrot
2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) protected for selections 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015]

2017 first round draft pick from Sacramento (swap, Philadelphia outgoing)
Philadelphia has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Sacramento's 2017 1st round pick protected for selections 11-30 (if this pick falls within its protected range, then Philadelphia's swap right and Sacramento's obligation to Philadelphia will be extinguished) [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

2019 first round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick to Philadelphia [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

Philly gets Klay Thompson, Kevon Looney

That about what I would to concede for him, the value is right for this deal

GS would insert Iguodala at two guard,until McCaw develops
Commodor
Analyst

Post#36 » by Commodor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:41 am

rio_hm wrote:
ivang101 wrote:IF* the warriors decide to move on, it will be from Draymond

Cut off the Lakers from the deal. Draymond for Boogie straight up. Maybe include some cute fillers. That's an interesting trade idea.

And yeah, Cousins was in the Splash Bros hype train before Warriors become as good as they are right now.

Yeah well this all hinges on Draymond becoming so toxic that they are forced to move on from him. I'm assuming Sac won't want another situation akin to Cousins while Luke Walton would make a logical coaching fit for him. I don't think there's any chance of this personally, but I do find some of his behavior very worrying. I have full faith it will not be an issue any time soon. It would need to be a playoffs meltdown for the FO to move on.
Commodor
Analyst

Post#37 » by Commodor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:43 am

Biased_Fan6425 wrote:Lakers get Green for Clarkson and Randle?

Getting Green is good but getting Green without giving up DAR and Ingram is Great.

Lakers says where do we sign...

I could see it being DAR, but this is assuming a Green meltdown. He'd be a scarier prospect at that point.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#38 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:57 am

Impossible for me to answer. Klay is so much of what makes them so dangerous offensively and ability to pour the scoring on like crazy. But green, to me is a better player by quite a decent margin.

I guess you keep green because Durand can make up for more of Klay than he can green.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#39 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:14 pm

KCP + Morris and/or Baynes for Klay
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#40 » by tidho » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 pm

As many have said, Klay is easily the more expendable player, but of course Green is the real head case.
Obviously this isn't even considered until down the line (if ever), but you may have to factor whether Green continues to kick people in the balls and whether officials allow him to get away with it. Very interested in seeing if the officiating changes for that team not that they're 'villains'.

Return to Trades and Transactions