DeMarcus Cousins for Klay Thompson

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Re: DeMarcus Cousins for Klay Thompson 

Post#21 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:23 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Coxy wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Nails it

It's a bit weird to see fans wanting to improve our offense.. we are #1 there, comfortably. Our defensive rating, which used to be in the top 5, has dropped to 9th, although it has been trending up. That's where the issue is. If we're trading away offense, its not to get offense at a different position, and certainly not to get someone who's had attitude issues. That takes Cousins, Whiteside, and Drummond off the table immediately

Yeah, that's why Gobert is the guy I'd target if Klay is dealt. No way Utah do that though. Other guys like Robin Lopez, Nurkic, Biyombo and maybe even John Henson could be a better target and MAY be reachable without losing Klay.

Don't you need to send out long-term salary like Klay in a trade like that so that you can resign Durant since you don't have Bird Rights?

I don't think so, but I'm certainly no capologist. This piece below explains how they can get around it.

They won’t have his Bird rights by then, and any lowered cap number makes that trickier given their payroll.
But three things to remember in this case, as Curry and Durant both come up for new deals next summer:

1) The Warriors do have Curry’s Bird rights, so they can pay everybody whatever they have to under the cap, keeping Curry at his $16.4M cap hold, and after everybody else is signed–including Durant–THEN give Curry the max above and beyond the cap number.

You can always pay your own Bird rights players whatever it takes… so smart teams add the salary they have to under the cap… and then extend their Bird rights players above and beyond the cap line.

The Warriors might go into the luxury tax by doing this (as they did last season, but won’t in this coming season), but they’ve made a ton of money in the last two seasons.

I think Joe Lacob and Peter Guber can afford going into the luxury tax if that’s how they keep Curry and Durant.

2) If there’s a huge cap jam up next July and the Warriors can’t fit a Durant max, they can always give Durant a 20% raise from his current $26.5M max salary as a non-Bird free agent above and beyond the cap-line.

That’s not quite his max, but pretty good… and if they paid him that way, they would not need to fit it under cap space.

Under this scenario, Durant could opt-out next July and get $31.8M for the following season in another 1 + 1 deal, opt-out again, get another 20% raise to $38.2M and then build 7.5% raises off of that in a new four-year deal starting in July 2018.

That’s complicated. But none of it would have to fit under the cap, and that’s important.

If the Warriors don’t have to fit Durant under the cap next July, they can–for instance–keep Andre Iguodala’s and Shaun Livingston’s cap holds… or negotiate new contracts for beyond 2017 without much concern.

This summer, the Warriors haven’t signed any deals (other than Durant) beyond 2017 specifically because they don’t want to cut into their potential space for Durant’s new contract.

But if they don’t have to worry about that… many other things are possible.

If these projections are correct, Durant’s max next July would be $33.6M.

If he opted-out again, that max number isn’t projected to go much higher… in other words, there wouldn’t be a large
difference between his true max (which would necessitate cap space) and the 20% raise (which doesn’t use cap space).

Maybe it comes to this for Durant: The Warriors might need to either sacrifice Livingston or Iguodala to give Durant the full max (with cap space)… or he could take a little bit less (with the 20% raise not using cap space) and they could keep both.

3) Warriors management just figured out how to add Durant to their core four group by opening up a max slot and moving a handful of players while everybody else in the league looked on.

You think the Warriors couldn’t figure out a way to fit Durant next July? They would. They’re already planning for this. They’re good at planning.

Another thing: The lowered number is just a projection for a year from now and it has already changed once.

So essentially, if we don't add any payroll, then it should work out just fine. If there were some sort of Gobert deal, we would likely have to send out another player as well (Zaza maybe). Nothing is for certain though, and the extent of the success of this team this season will determine Durant's head space moving forward.

It's moot though, as the Jazz aren't giving up Gobert. They have Hayward, Hood and Hill for the wings.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#22 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:25 pm

Coxy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Yeah, that's why Gobert is the guy I'd target if Klay is dealt. No way Utah do that though. Other guys like Robin Lopez, Nurkic, Biyombo and maybe even John Henson could be a better target and MAY be reachable without losing Klay.

Don't you need to send out long-term salary like Klay in a trade like that so that you can resign Durant since you don't have Bird Rights?

I don't think so, but I'm certainly no capologist. This piece below explains how they can get around it.

They won’t have his Bird rights by then, and any lowered cap number makes that trickier given their payroll.
But three things to remember in this case, as Curry and Durant both come up for new deals next summer:

1) The Warriors do have Curry’s Bird rights, so they can pay everybody whatever they have to under the cap, keeping Curry at his $16.4M cap hold, and after everybody else is signed–including Durant–THEN give Curry the max above and beyond the cap number.

You can always pay your own Bird rights players whatever it takes… so smart teams add the salary they have to under the cap… and then extend their Bird rights players above and beyond the cap line.

The Warriors might go into the luxury tax by doing this (as they did last season, but won’t in this coming season), but they’ve made a ton of money in the last two seasons.

I think Joe Lacob and Peter Guber can afford going into the luxury tax if that’s how they keep Curry and Durant.

2) If there’s a huge cap jam up next July and the Warriors can’t fit a Durant max, they can always give Durant a 20% raise from his current $26.5M max salary as a non-Bird free agent above and beyond the cap-line.

That’s not quite his max, but pretty good… and if they paid him that way, they would not need to fit it under cap space.

Under this scenario, Durant could opt-out next July and get $31.8M for the following season in another 1 + 1 deal, opt-out again, get another 20% raise to $38.2M and then build 7.5% raises off of that in a new four-year deal starting in July 2018.

That’s complicated. But none of it would have to fit under the cap, and that’s important.

If the Warriors don’t have to fit Durant under the cap next July, they can–for instance–keep Andre Iguodala’s and Shaun Livingston’s cap holds… or negotiate new contracts for beyond 2017 without much concern.

This summer, the Warriors haven’t signed any deals (other than Durant) beyond 2017 specifically because they don’t want to cut into their potential space for Durant’s new contract.

But if they don’t have to worry about that… many other things are possible.

If these projections are correct, Durant’s max next July would be $33.6M.

If he opted-out again, that max number isn’t projected to go much higher… in other words, there wouldn’t be a large
difference between his true max (which would necessitate cap space) and the 20% raise (which doesn’t use cap space).

Maybe it comes to this for Durant: The Warriors might need to either sacrifice Livingston or Iguodala to give Durant the full max (with cap space)… or he could take a little bit less (with the 20% raise not using cap space) and they could keep both.

3) Warriors management just figured out how to add Durant to their core four group by opening up a max slot and moving a handful of players while everybody else in the league looked on.

You think the Warriors couldn’t figure out a way to fit Durant next July? They would. They’re already planning for this. They’re good at planning.

Another thing: The lowered number is just a projection for a year from now and it has already changed once.

So essentially, if we don't add any payroll, then it should work out just fine. If there were some sort of Gobert deal, we would likely have to send out another player as well (Zaza maybe). Nothing is for certain though, and the extent of the success of this team this season will determine Durant's head space moving forward.

It's moot though, as the Jazz aren't giving up Gobert. They have Hayward, Hood and Hill for the wings.

Thanks, but it looks like Iggy and Livingston would either be gone or have to take the minimum or some exception.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#23 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:26 pm

FNQ wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Coxy wrote:

No, it can be easily achieved by either signing Iguodala to a friendly deal (or letting him walk) along with Livingston.. we don't need to do anything to our big 4 to retain our big 4

Yeah I think the point was that had to happen regardless (Iggy and SL leaving or taking minimums/exceptions) so adding any additional long term salary limits them.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#24 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:35 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Don't you need to send out long-term salary like Klay in a trade like that so that you can resign Durant since you don't have Bird Rights?

No, it can be easily achieved by either signing Iguodala to a friendly deal (or letting him walk) along with Livingston.. we don't need to do anything to our big 4 to retain our big 4

Yeah I think the point was that had to happen regardless (Iggy and SL leaving or taking minimums/exceptions) so adding any additional long term salary limits them.

I think we're ok with that. But we do have 3 more months to make this evaluation (or longer should we choose to try and deal Klay in the offseason).. its semi-fluid. Advantage has to go to keeping Klay at this point, with Livi and Iguodala approaching the end of their primes
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#25 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:46 pm

FNQ wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:This had a long running thread not too long ago. Didn't end well then either.

I will post the same thing I posted in that thread...the better trade is:

To Kings: Klay

To Pistons: Cousins

To GSW: Drummond

Throw around some filler and value equalizer and all teams win.

Better, but still a pass. Drummond is a rebounding monster but it doesnt hit what we need.

No way in real world would GSW pass on this. Drummond would be the ultimate role player around the rim. He as it stands now, is not a elite rim protector. But he is not bad. His defense is what it is, for being the go-to-guy as current role on Pistons. In his new role, Kerr and company would get his focus and attention on his new role, and with ease he would see a nice healthy uptick in defense at the rim.

Imagine GSW having a 6-11 275+ banger around the rim. Who happens be elite at rebounding already.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#26 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:56 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:This had a long running thread not too long ago. Didn't end well then either.

Better, but still a pass. Drummond is a rebounding monster but it doesnt hit what we need.

No way in real world would GSW pass on this. Drummond would be the ultimate role player around the rim. He as it stands now, is not a elite rim protector. But he is not bad. His defense is what it is, for being the go-to-guy as current role on Pistons. In his new role, Kerr and company would get his focus and attention on his new role, and with ease he would see a nice healthy uptick in defense at the rim.

Imagine GSW having a 6-11 275+ banger around the rim. Who happens be elite at rebounding already.

What happens when we are deep into the playoffs and hack-a-Drummond starts. Hi FT shooting is beyond terrible. Like post shattered confidence Biedrins terrible. He also doesn't protect the rim like most think he does. He rebounds like a boss, but the rest, meh I'm not sold. He's also having a pretty poor season after his big pay day.

Another side note, which is just a personal opinion, he has a really soft nature about him. He'd be a great guy to hang around as he seems like a really nice kid, but as an aggressive NBA centre, he's just a little soft for mine. Doesn't have the fire to want to be destructive in the paint. Again, just my personal opinion.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:57 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Being a rim protector is more than just blocking shots. Bogut was great because he understood where to be. Drummond struggles because he doesnt understand that.

We'd be trading a part of what definitely makes us offensively great for something that might help us defensively. We're 16-3. So I'd argue in the real world, no way does GSW accept this.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,795

Post#28 » by jredsaz » Sat Dec 3, 2016 2:43 am

That would be a classic Kings move. Thompson is a very good player but his game would suffer without Steph and the spacing the Warriors have provided. Instead of the picks and youth the Kings need they would get a second tier NBA star and would continue to struggle. Cousons in a Warriors uniform would be silly fun.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,940

Post#29 » by K_chile22 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:30 am

Cousins is better. The Warriors still shouldn't do this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#30 » by j-ragg » Sat Dec 3, 2016 5:44 pm

Both say no. But Ws should say not quicker IMO. Not cus Cousins isn't worth Klay. Just in terms of fit. I think Klay does exactly what they need and they're already a great offense. Not like it needs much improvement.

Sac needs a rebuild.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: DeMarcus Cousins for Klay Thompson 

Post#31 » by City of Trees » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:17 pm

FNQ wrote:
theBigLip wrote:This is funny. Both the Kings fan and the Warriors fan think they would be getting ripped off.

This would be a great trade for the Warriors. Cousins demands a double team down low. Steph and Durant would both get even better spacing. That would make up for losing Thompson.

As for the Kings, maybe they could get someone better than Thompson, but they better get someone soon, because Cousins is going to walk away the first second he can and the Kings get NOTHING. Thompson is surely better than that.

At what point is spacing overkill? 2 guys who dont need much space to get their shot off anyways. We dont have scoring problems either. What we have is a cohesive unit of players that are gifted scorers and passers, and what we need is rim protection.

It would literally provide no upside for us while potentially upsetting chemistry with someone who's unstable, and not in a way that endears himself to teammates like Draymond

Did you watch team USA? Your opinion on Cousins is way off. Like waaaaay off. But that is the realgm board opinion so arguing won't change anything.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#32 » by Laimbeer » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:25 pm

Warriors are win now and Pistons are building around Dre. Adding the big man swap doesn't make sense.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#33 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 12:12 am

Laimbeer wrote:

Warriors are win now and Pistons are building around Dre. Adding the big man swap doesn't make sense.

I would disagree with that. Pistons can build around the better player that is Cousins. And not sure how an elite rebounder, banger, doesn't help GSW be win-now. Do you think that cause of his age?
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#34 » by jackwindham » Sun Dec 4, 2016 9:04 am

I don't think Drummond would be all too pleased with taking a seat on the bench for a very long period of time when the Warriors go to their small ball lineup.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: DeMarcus Cousins for Klay Thompson 

Post#35 » by FNQ » Mon Dec 5, 2016 2:34 am

City of Trees wrote:
FNQ wrote:
theBigLip wrote:This is funny. Both the Kings fan and the Warriors fan think they would be getting ripped off.

This would be a great trade for the Warriors. Cousins demands a double team down low. Steph and Durant would both get even better spacing. That would make up for losing Thompson.

As for the Kings, maybe they could get someone better than Thompson, but they better get someone soon, because Cousins is going to walk away the first second he can and the Kings get NOTHING. Thompson is surely better than that.

At what point is spacing overkill? 2 guys who dont need much space to get their shot off anyways. We dont have scoring problems either. What we have is a cohesive unit of players that are gifted scorers and passers, and what we need is rim protection.

It would literally provide no upside for us while potentially upsetting chemistry with someone who's unstable, and not in a way that endears himself to teammates like Draymond

Did you watch team USA? Your opinion on Cousins is way off. Like waaaaay off. But that is the realgm board opinion so arguing won't change anything.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

What does team USA have to do with what I said? Our offense is fine right now. Cousins is, as tactfully as can be, a volatile personality. There's little upside and much risk.

Cousins is not the best player in the NBA, I think it's time that Kings fans admit that. Posturing here doesnt make him a more valuable piece, or a less volatile human being.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#36 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:05 am

I would swap Klay for Cousins as GS.

It makes the offense and the defense better. It raises the team's talent level. Sure, it opens up some chemistry questions, but I think you take that risk.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#37 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:10 am

theBigLip wrote:

As a Piston fan, I'd be down with this.

Just to watch Cousins leave? Seems rather risky Stan vs Cousins could blow up real quick.

Return to Trades and Transactions