Can it be done: make a Whiteside to Boston trade that works for both?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,568

Can it be done: make a Whiteside to Boston trade that works for both? 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:04 pm

I was going to post my version of this. But instead I'm just going to ask can it be done, and see if there is any consensus or if it dies in a bloody heap of debated value.

Especially since apparently Boston can protect the Nets picks in a trade (top 3, top 5 etc).

Why for Boston:
They need defense. They need rebounding. They need a center. They are all set to cash in on a Cousins type deal and have a roster that looks great. But if it is not Cousins, what can they do? So, why not go for one of the best centers in the league, still youngish, and a perfect roster fit. And locked up long term.

Why for Miami:
They bottom out and get some prime rebuilding assets from a team with an overabundance of prime rebuilding assets. Move Dragic in a separate deal and look to suddenly have one of the most intriguing young cores within a year, tons of cap space and an attractive free agent market, etc.

So, is there a way to make everyone reasonably happy here?
Brown and/or Smart and/or Nets pick(s) with what protection(s) and/or other picks and/or other young players?

Filler could be Jerebko and Amir now or Amir and Zeller come January
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Can it be done: make a Whiteside to Boston trade that works for both? 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:12 pm

I think the challenge is that Miami would want a young big back that could replace Whiteside now and in the future. The Celtics don't have that. Brown is fine, but he plays the same spot at Winslow, who Miami loves and neither is really big enough to play PF. Smart, also fine, but they have a lot invested in the backcourt already and will have to pay Richardson soon too.

If Boston was getting Whiteside, it would have to involve one or both Nets picks and they'd probably have to eat McRoberts deal too. That isn't the end of the world, as McRoberts could do ok in Stevens system.

So, that leaves us with basically the package you listed, but the Celtics also eating McRoberts.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,834

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:16 pm

I think absolutely it can be done. And it should be something Boston pursues. Not sure about Miami. If Riley is willing to gamble that no team will sign and play Bosh, then he might think he should keep Whiteside and try and lure veteran free agents. But that's a dangerous game and selling Dragic and Whiteside and re-loading on assets makes sense---and he could still chase free agents.

My attempt:

Zeller
Jerebko
Brown
Rozier
2017 BOS 1st (with swap rights) unprotected, 2018 Brooklyn pick (top 3, top 1, unprotected)

for

Whiteside
Winslow
Babbitt

I loved Winslow coming into the league but its clear his shooting at Duke was a mirage. So Brown is the higher ceiling prospect imo. So the Heat get Brown and 2 very high ceiling picks(with high floors too imo).

Celtics solidify their starting lineup and get a guy more ready to contribute right now in Winslow.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#4 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:50 pm

I don't think it's crazy to prefer Whiteside.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:02 pm

[quote="Texas Chuck"]I think absolutely it can be done. And it should be something Boston pursues. Not sure about Miami. If Riley is willing to gamble that no team will sign and play Bosh, then he might think he should keep Whiteside and try and lure veteran free agents. But that's a dangerous game and selling Dragic and Whiteside and re-loading on assets makes sense---and he could still chase free agents.

My attempt:

Zeller
Jerebko
Brown
Rozier
2017 BOS 1st (with swap rights) unprotected, 2018 Brooklyn pick (top 3, top 1, unprotected)

for

Whiteside
Winslow
Babbitt

I loved Winslow coming into the league but its clear his shooting at Duke was a mirage. So Brown is the higher ceiling prospect imo. So the Heat get Brown and 2 very high ceiling picks(with high floors too imo).

Celtics solidify their starting lineup and get a guy more ready to contribute right now in Winslow.[/quote]
I don't understand what this means...
"2017 BOS 1st (with swap rights) unprotected, 2018 Brooklyn pick (top 3, top 1, unprotected)"
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by Golabki » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:04 pm

I see Whitesides as a poor man's DeAndre Jordan. A good player for sure, but not worth a blue chip asset (Brown or either Bky pick) from the Cs.
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:06 pm

what's not clear? The Celtics trade their pick this year unprotected which obviously comes with swap rights with the Nets. And they trade next year's Nets picks with the protections I listed--NBA recently changed rules allowing teams to put protections on picks from other teams.

Or to really simplify it:

Heat get the better of Boston/Brooklyn 1st this year no matter where it falls and gets the Brooklyn pick top 3 protected next year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#8 » by BullyKing » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:09 pm

Golabki wrote:I see Whitesides as a poor man's DeAndre Jordan. A good player for sure, but not worth a blue chip asset (Brown or either Bky pick) from the Cs.

I'm sorry but it is absolutely laughable if you don't think Whiteside is worth any of Brown or either Brooklyn pick.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:20 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Golabki wrote:I see Whitesides as a poor man's DeAndre Jordan. A good player for sure, but not worth a blue chip asset (Brown or either Bky pick) from the Cs.

I'm sorry but it is absolutely laughable if you don't think Whiteside is worth any of Brown or either Brooklyn pick.

I mean in a vacuum if you still believe the Nets picks are top 5 and you are one of those who believe we can define a draft this far in advance, I could listen to an argument of trying to grab a franchise perimeter player over Whiteside (or Jordan who was also named).

But for the Celtics specifically who go from 2nd round ceiling to fringe championship contender by adding Whiteside(or Jordan)? Yeah I disagree with not going for it.

But I also understand that maybe nobody on the Trade Board is as philosophically committed to going hard for championships rather than hording assets and hoping. I ripped Presti when the Thunder had a championship core but with clear holes and lots of assets and he chose to have his cake and eat it too and got one Finals trip and watched all those assets but Adams wither away to nothing.

If they let the cheap contracts of Bradley and Thomas expire before they have added that significant piece that makes them a legit contender in the name of holding on to assets I will consider it a huge disappointment. This is a very unique situation where you have 3 starters making essentially one starter's money with plenty of really cheap bench pieces. Strike.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Re: RE: Re: Can it be done: make a Whiteside to Boston trade that works for both? 

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:21 pm

BullyKing wrote:

His offensive game is also 10x better than deandre (and I love Jordan that's just the truth)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using RealGM mobile app
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:27 pm

What happened to all the Heat fans at RealGM? I'm curious to hear what they think about Whiteside at the moment. He's been putting up amazing numbers this season, but I see his name come up semi regularly here and don't know why. It would seem they would be crazy to want to trade him, but I never hear from them so I'm never sure what the deal is.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:31 pm

I get not wanting to trade it all for him, but I would absolutely trade one or the other.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#13 » by jbent87 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:36 pm

Gotta believe Danny tries to get Winslow as well if he can turn this into a blockbuster but where does he fit with Crowder still on the team? Super 6th man? Or does Crowder go?
HartfordWhalers

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:38 pm

My thought was:
Salary filler: Jerebko (I want a deal now but if not now then Zeller, sure), Amir
Assets: Brown, '17 pick (top 3 protected, if not becomes ?) '18 (top 3 protected, if not becomes ? *ALso, is unprotected if '17 pick is top 3). I feel like for the ? I will go Boston's 2020 top 10 protected.

So:
Brown
'17 Nets pick (unless top 3)
'18 Nets pick (unless top 3 and '17 wasn't top 3)
{'20 Boston pick (top 10) if one of above is top 3 and not conveyed.}

For Whiteside and of course Babbitt. It is still 3 for 2, so, Miami can pick a second Babbitt.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,992

Post#15 » by DayofMourning » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:40 pm

DusterBuster wrote:What happened to all the Heat fans at RealGM? I'm curious to hear what they think about Whiteside at the moment. He's been putting up amazing numbers this season, but I see his name come up semi regularly here and don't know why. It would seem they would be crazy to want to trade him, but I never hear from them so I'm never sure what the deal is.

They have their own board, the Miami Heat forum.

Or did you mean the Lebron James' fans? In that case, they're on RealCavsFans.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:40 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:My thought was:
Salary filler: Jerebko (I want a deal now but if not now then Zeller, sure), Amir
Assets: Brown, '17 pick (top 3 protected, if not becomes ?) '18 (top 3 protected, if not becomes ? *ALso, is unprotected if '17 pick is top 3). I feel like for the ? I will go Boston's 2020 top 10 protected.

So:
Brown

For Whiteside and of course Babbitt. It is still 3 for 2, so, Miami can pick a second Babbitt.

That feels rich to me. Boston puts basically every major egg in the Whiteside basket. I would not be comfortable with that.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#17 » by BullyKing » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I mean in a vacuum if you still believe the Nets picks are top 5 and you are one of those who believe we can define a draft this far in advance, I could listen to an argument of trying to grab a franchise perimeter player over Whiteside (or Jordan who was also named).

But for the Celtics specifically who go from 2nd round ceiling to fringe championship contender by adding Whiteside(or Jordan)? Yeah I disagree with not going for it.

But I also understand that maybe nobody on the Trade Board is as philosophically committed to going hard for championships rather than hording assets and hoping. I ripped Presti when the Thunder had a championship core but with clear holes and lots of assets and he chose to have his cake and eat it too and got one Finals trip and watched all those assets but Adams wither away to nothing.

If they let the cheap contracts of Bradley and Thomas expire before they have added that significant piece that makes them a legit contender in the name of holding on to assets I will consider it a huge disappointment. This is a very unique situation where you have 3 starters making essentially one starter's money with plenty of really cheap bench pieces. Strike.

I'd have trouble buying someone having that much confidence that they would land a franchise perimeter in the draft given how early it is in the college season, lack of certainty where pick will end up, and the fact that the draft is an inexact science in its own right.

But you make a far more interesting point that we would all be wise to remember more frequently: we losers that spend this much time on the T&T are much more likely to systematically overvalue draft picks and young players.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HartfordWhalers

Post#18 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:43 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:

So:
Brown

That feels rich to me. Boston puts basically every major egg in the Whiteside basket. I would not be comfortable with that.

Yeah, it is rich. But it keeps the upside of the '17 top 3 which is the sweetest area. And possibly the '18 top 3.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:43 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:What happened to all the Heat fans at RealGM? I'm curious to hear what they think about Whiteside at the moment. He's been putting up amazing numbers this season, but I see his name come up semi regularly here and don't know why. It would seem they would be crazy to want to trade him, but I never hear from them so I'm never sure what the deal is.

They have their own board, the Miami Heat forum.

Or did you mean the Lebron James' fans? In that case, they're on RealCavsFans.

Yeah, there used to be a lot on the Trade Board as well tho. Suppose those were the temp-Heat/LBJ fans.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Texas Chuck

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:48 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

So:
Brown

Yeah, it is rich. But it keeps the upside of the '17 top 3 which is the sweetest area. And possibly the '18 top 3.

yeah with the top 3 protection its not too rich. Brown and the 4th pick in 2017 and 2018 would be a price I'd gladly pay as Boston. And in HW's deal I could get Whiteside and a top 3 pick in either year(or even both!).

I think that makes it less attractive to the Heat which is why I unprotected the 2017 pick and protected teh 2018 pick a bit lighter. And to ease the pain for the Celtics I got Winslow coming back.

Return to Trades and Transactions