Valentine + Niko for Lou Williams + Nance

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Valentine + Niko for Lou Williams + Nance 

Post#1 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:52 pm

Why for the Bulls?
Bulls bench is killing them with Dougie and MCW out. Lou gives them a good 3pt shooter that can handle the ball. Nance gives them some atleticism at the smallball PF.

Why for the Lakers?
Denzel is going to be really good player but he isn't going to get mins behind Jimmy Wade and Dougie. He fits in well with an uptempo Lakers team that moves the ball. He can handle, shoot, and rebound. We have been pleasantly surprised by his solid D as well.
Niko is the small ball PF with a high ceiling. His D has improved in a big way and he is currently playing "good above avg D." He currently watches Wade or Jimmy in the 2nd unit and doesn't get many touches. He is the type of player that can make some big impact when he is engaged. When his shot falls he can take over a game.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,275

Re: Valentine + Niko for Lou Williams + Nance 

Post#2 » by mademan » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:05 pm

Nance>Niko and signed for another 2 years after this one very cheaply while Niko's looking for a raise this summer. Valentine doesnt bridge the gap and this makes LA worse this year which they dont want to be
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,107

Post#3 » by JB2 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:32 pm

mademan wrote:Nance>Niko and signed for another 2 years after this one very cheaply while Niko's looking for a raise this summer. Valentine doesnt bridge the gap and this makes LA worse this year which they dont want to be

Overall it's fair value but given Laker's are in playoff contention and Lou has been a huge part of that, I'm not sure that this move really makes a lot of sense for them. Plus, they are very high on Nance as a long term super glue guy type who can play great with the young core that's already in place and already has amazing chemistry.

Though Valentine would be a great fit and Niko gives them range from the 4.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#4 » by Slava » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:33 pm

Nance is off limits.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Chi town
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:38 pm

Slava wrote:Nance is off limits.

Interesting, why?

No 3 ball. Not much of a scorer. Good at putbacks and opporunity baskets. Dont' see how he fits with Randle long term. I know Walton has said he sees Randle as their Draymond.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#6 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:40 pm

JB2 wrote:
mademan wrote:Nance>Niko and signed for another 2 years after this one very cheaply while Niko's looking for a raise this summer. Valentine doesnt bridge the gap and this makes LA worse this year which they dont want to be

Overall it's fair value but given Laker's are in playoff contention and Lou has been a huge part of that, I'm not sure that this move really makes a lot of sense for them. Plus, they are very high on Nance as a long term super glue guy type who can play great with the young core that's already in place and already has amazing chemistry.

I hear playoff contention... Want to see what that looks like before the deadline. Think they may be out of the picture by then. I do think chemistry is huge and Nance does seem like a good glue guy. Just don't know how he fits with Randle long term.

Bulls would toss in Grant, Canaan, or Portis to make things work if need be.

Most likely Bulls won't make a trade anyway. They only do that in the summer.
mademan
RealGM

Post#7 » by mademan » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:43 pm

JB2 wrote:

Even if they werent in PO contention, the best long term piece here, imo, is Nance. And they shouldnt trade him for worse players
Chi town
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:45 pm

mademan wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Even if they werent in PO contention, the best long term piece here, imo, is Nance. And they shouldnt trade him for worse players

What do you see Nance becoming? His ceiling?

Just dont' see how he will get enough touches to warrant the type of value you think he has.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#9 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:48 pm

Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

No 3 ball. Not much of a scorer. Good at putbacks and opporunity baskets. Dont' see how he fits with Randle long term. I know Walton has said he sees Randle as their Draymond.

He's the guy that every fanbase has. Value just doesn't match reality. It's Powell for the Raptors.
mademan
RealGM

Post#10 » by mademan » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:50 pm

Chi town wrote:
mademan wrote:
JB2 wrote:

What do you see Nance becoming? His ceiling?

Just dont' see how he will get enough touches to warrant the type of value you think he has.

I just dont think much about Niko or Valentine. I see Nance as a very good role player who's able to defend multiple positions and do a lot of great things on the court. Niko/Valentine, to me, are career backups you can find anywhere. Might as well take a shot with Nance and hope he turns out to be a super glue guy

And like Rapcity said, he's a gem to Laker fans.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Slava » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:53 pm

Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

You have to watch him to know how he is good, he won't jump off the page in terms of box stats but he is always very good in plus/minus stats. He's 2nd on our team in RPM, 47th in the league and 11th overall amongst PFs. Just a very smart basketball player.

Walton plays him and Randle when we go small to end games and his ability to switch all positions is invaluable for us.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#12 » by TKainZero » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:58 pm

Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

Nance is the lakers most athletic player. The excitement he brings for his big throw downs is not quantifiable.

He also is their best overall defender
He also is their most unselfish player (something you need with SO many ball dominate players)
He contests every offensive rebound due to his athleticism

Yea randle is the long term starter, but nance could easily be the 5th starter on a championship level team.

Long term, a small ball front line of randle/nance has been very exciting in limited mins. With the ability to switch everything.

Nances ability to be effective without the ball is very important when randle, Russell, and Clarkson are all ball dominante players (and Ingram is going to need the ball as well )

Nance and randle are certainly both tradable, but it would take a big time offer.

Clarkson and nance are the key pillars of the lakers bench for the future.

Meanwhile, Lou Williams is worth more than this on his own.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Chi town
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:34 pm

TKainZero wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

Nance is the lakers most athletic player. The excitement he brings for his big throw downs is not quantifiable.

He also is their best overall defender
He also is their most unselfish player (something you need with SO many ball dominate players)
He contests every offensive rebound due to his athleticism

Yea randle is the long term starter, but nance could easily be the 5th starter on a championship level team.

Long term, a small ball front line of randle/nance has been very exciting in limited mins. With the ability to switch everything.

Nances ability to be effective without the ball is very important when randle, Russell, and Clarkson are all ball dominante players (and Ingram is going to need the ball as well )

Nance and randle are certainly both tradable, but it would take a big time offer.

Clarkson and nance are the key pillars of the lakers bench for the future.

Meanwhile, Lou Williams is worth more than this on his own.

I was tracking until the bold. That may be true to the Lakers and their fit etc. but def not in league wide value.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:35 pm

Slava wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

You have to watch him to know how he is good, he won't jump off the page in terms of box stats but he is always very good in plus/minus stats. He's 2nd on our team in RPM, 47th in the league and 11th overall amongst PFs. Just a very smart basketball player.

Walton plays him and Randle when we go small to end games and his ability to switch all positions is invaluable for us.

I have watched. That's why I want him. I just dont' think he will ever be more than a 7th man on a contending team.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:36 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Interesting, why?

He's the guy that every fanbase has. Value just doesn't match reality. It's Powell for the Raptors.

Maybe a little bit of that going on. As fans, that's what we do.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Slava » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:38 pm

Chi town wrote:
Slava wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Interesting, why?

I have watched. That's why I want him. I just dont' think he will ever be more than a 7th man on a contending team.

You already have a player of his kind in Taj Gibson, so I'm not sure why you want to overload the PF spot more when even Portis is struggling for playing time.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Slava » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:48 pm

Also to add to the point on Nance and Randle, Luke doesn't play anyone for more than 30 mins a game when the squad is healthy, by design. Part of it is down to the high tempo he wants, so even if Randle gets his share of minutes, there's plenty of time left for Nance at the back up 4 & 5 positions. Those two can play well together so its pointless to see it as a one or the other situation.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:01 pm

Slava wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Slava wrote:

You already have a player of his kind in Taj Gibson, so I'm not sure why you want to overload the PF spot more when even Portis is struggling for playing time.

Portis struggles to get time because he sucks.

Taj will be a FA and we may lose him.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#19 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:02 pm

Slava wrote:Also to add to the point on Nance and Randle, Luke doesn't play anyone for more than 30 mins a game when the squad is healthy, by design. Part of it is down to the high tempo he wants, so even if Randle gets his share of minutes, there's plenty of time left for Nance at the back up 4 & 5 positions. Those two can play well together so its pointless to see it as a one or the other situation.

GTK. Love Walton as a coach.
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#20 » by yanuary » Thu Dec 8, 2016 12:40 pm

Nance > Mirotic
Lou >>> Denzel

Also Williams and Nance have great contracts. Horrible offer (trade 2 best players in this deal) for Lakers so easy quick reject.
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player

Return to Trades and Transactions