Any idea/word what Washington will do with Otto Porter Jr?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: Any idea/word what Washington will do with Otto Porter Jr? 

Post#21 » by M-C-G » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:42 pm

eathb_au wrote:He's playing good basketball this season and will almost assuredly get given a max contract from a team. This however would hurt Washington's cap space as they already have big money tied to other players. They'll be heading into the luxury tax unless they can make trades to clear room.

Would Washington consider trading him as his value is high? Or will they take the cap space hit?

IF I were Washington, once I have to sign Porter to a max, I'd probably look to move Beal. But Grumfield is the GM, so who knows.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#22 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/04/ernie-grunfeld-wizards-intend-to-re-sign-otto-porter-long-term/

“We had conversations but we want Otto here long-term,” Grunfeld told CSNmidatlantic.com on Wednesday, before the regular-season home opener with the Toronto Raptors. “We like Otto. We really like what he brings to the table. He’s a really good player that meshes well with John (Wall) and Brad (Beal) who like to have the ball in their hands. Otto cuts and spots up and he does a lot of little things. He makes a lot of winning plays that don’t show up in the boxscore. Our intention is in the offeseason is to have Otto signed and have him here long-term.”
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#23 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm

He is having an amazing year. Why would Washington fans not want Otto on the team?
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#24 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:59 pm

They SHOULD keep him. I think they will. He'll probably get maxed.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#25 » by RightToCensor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:06 pm

There should be no alternative than to re-sign him.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#26 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 pm

eathb_au wrote:He's playing good basketball this season and will almost assuredly get given a max contract from a team. This however would hurt Washington's cap space as they already have big money tied to other players. They'll be heading into the luxury tax unless they can make trades to clear room.

Would Washington consider trading him as his value is high? Or will they take the cap space hit?

Likely that Washington tries hard to resign him. If there is a trade that they think overvalues him, they might go for it but he is young, a good fit with Wall, and resigning him helps maintain continuity.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#27 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm

This guy is getting the max for sure. Some of my fellow Mavs fans want to max him out, no need imo, the Wizards would 100% match it. Not sure about his upside, but he is a nice player.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:56 pm

They will max him out and have to deal with putting together a roster with three max guys when
Wall's time comes. Their problem is Mahinmi's deal.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Would Washington consider trading him
as his value is high? Or will they take the cap space hit?

It would have to be a sign and trade since he's a Restricted Free Agent.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#30 » by pcbothwel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Norm2953 wrote:They will max him out and have to deal with putting together a roster with three max guys when
Wall's time comes. Their problem is Mahinmi's deal.

I actually think there is a chance he resigns for a little less than the max, but for 5 years. So instead of the 4 year max, we would offer a deal starting at 22/23M instead of his 25M max.

Mahinmi: While more expensive than ideal, I have been banging the table for Mahnimi since we signed him. The rest of the Wiz board is coming around. The Guy is an absolute BEAST on defense. Blocks, Steals, positioning, calling out plays/lining guys up. He is very quickly becoming THE leader on that side of the ball. His contract is not a problem.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#31 » by Mojo Amok » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Mahnimi's contract is a bit of a problem, but his final year is when "Wall's Time Comes," assuming we're talking about a new contract, so it's only one year of overlap and it's actually worth slightly less in that year than this year (ie. it doesn't get more expensive continually over the length of the contract).

But, whatever Ian's overpaid by is really mitigated by him providing exactly what we'd want out of a center and I suspect Gortat's time in the starting lineup is not going to be much longer despite his prettier box score stats. Right now we just dipped from the 10th ranked defense to the 14th ranked defense and I'm really struggling to think of a better defensive center that the Wizards have had if we don't include an overly young Ben Wallace who was nowhere near his peak (and who they viewed as a 4 back then anyway).

The larger point of building a team around three max contracts being hard is valid, but I just wouldn't single out Mahnimi as being that big of an issue.

Return to Trades and Transactions