Yet another Rubio trade (MN/Denver)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Yet another Rubio trade (MN/Denver) 

Post#1 » by wablty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Timberwolves Out: Ricky Rubio
Timberwolves In: Jameer Nelson, Darrell Arthur and the rights to Petr Cornelie.

Denver Out: Jameer Nelson, Arthur, rights to Cornelie
Denver In: Ricky Rubio

Minnesota Why: Thibs seems to want to go a different direction at point. Nelson gives him a "bridge" type of guy who can play more minutes now and slide to the bench as Dunn and/or Jones take over. Additionally for the downgrade they add Arthur, who they can actually use and should provide some defensive help, and pick up a Eurostash with some length and range to potentially fit in next to KAT down the line.

Denver Why: Mudiay doesn't seem to be working out, but it's also a bit early to pull the plug on him altogether. Instead this gives him time to develop, the opportunity to play off the ball a little and makes the team more of a playoff contender. Jokic and Rubio on the court at the same time would give them two of the most creative passers in the league. It also moves Arthur, who they barely ever use right now.

Yes, this is probably a bit of a "give up" post on getting something major for Rubio, but the fit works for me.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Yet another Rubio trade (MN/Denver) 

Post#2 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:16 pm

It's a solid trade, but tbh when i think more about Rubio to Denver i don't want help them right now when we are fighting with them for the 8th spot in the west.

And i'm sure Rubio would be a huge uppgrade over Mudiay, Nelson.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#3 » by wolves_89 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 pm

If the level of return for Rubio is this low I'd much rather keep him and let him be the "bridge" PG.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#4 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

I can see something around Rubio for Nurkic getting both teams interested.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#5 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm seriously down on Rubio, but even I think this is a little light for him. But to be fair I'm not super familiar with the stash prospect. I would hope he's a top of the line stash (like Saric or Mirotic we're).. if so, I think it's more fair.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#6 » by Winglish » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Minny gets robbed here. The value is not fair.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#7 » by CAE15 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Seems low for Rubio and I would think quite a few teams could beat that offer. Not sure what teams value Nelson like in this stage of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#8 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeah, either swap Arthur for Nurkic or add the Memphis 1st to the current deal. Minnesota is losing a bit of value in this deal.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,566

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I would add Nurkic and Shabazz, and drop Cornelie from the trade.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:11 am

Not arguing the value here, just the fit. Rubio has 3 years at $13.5m and that means "starter". Denver needs to play Mudiay & Murray at PG in order for them to learn. That's the same approach Minnesota has taken with their three young stars.
wablty
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by wablty » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:17 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:I would add Nurkic and Shabazz, and drop Cornelie from the trade.

If you think Denver would do it. I was under the impression they want to keep Nurkic. The idea came from considering whether or not I thought Denver would trade Nurkic for Rubio and I suspect, at least on this board, the Nuggets fans would likely claim they would not. Furthermore, with the Nuggets glut of wings I can't see Muhammad being very intriguing.

In the end, I just went for getting two veterans who can play now (I think the Nuggets are crazy to be DNPing Arthur like they are) and a 7' prospect that might be able to defend on the perimeter and knock down open 3's once he's NBA ready, but I don't disagree the value is light.

I would, for the record, do Rubio + Muhammad for Nurkic, Nelson and Arthur in a heart beat from a MN perspective.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#12 » by RRFB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:48 am

I'd do something based on Nurkic/Nelson for Rubio. I don't think Denver would have any interest Shabazz, but it'd be nice to somehow get them a new backup center.

Not sure what you do about playing time for Mudiay and Rubio, but the Nuggets desperately need a defensive minded point guard.
wablty
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by wablty » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:50 am

RRFB wrote:I'd do something based on Nurkic/Nelson for Rubio. I don't think Denver would have any interest Shabazz, but it'd be nice to somehow get them a new backup center.

Not sure what you do about playing time for Mudiay and Rubio, but the Nuggets desperately need a defensive minded point guard.

I'm sure Minnesota would be willing to send Jordan Hill. Maybe Aldrich. That would feel a little dickish since he just signed with his hometown team and probably at a bit of a discount, but it's a business, yada yada.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#14 » by giberish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 am

I like Denver as a Rubio destination. They're competing for a playoff spot (with a young core that could benefit from even a short playoff run), with a very weak PG rotation of Muliday/Nelson.

IMO Minny's biggest rotation need is a defensive SF option. I'm not sure what Nurkic does for them. Chandler would be a good fit, but then how much is Denver improving?. I like a 3-team option:

Denver trades: Nelson, Barton for Rubio
Philly trades Covington for Barton
Minny trades Rubio for Nelson, Covington

Minny's wing rotation makes more sense with a defensive role-playing SF in Covington. They get Nelson as a vet option while generally letting Dunn and Jones run the PG spot. Philly gets a better position fit (Barton can play some SG in addition to SF) and more offense.

Denver gets a quality starting PG. Muliday is back into a reserve role but you can still develop in 15-20 mpg and you don't hurt your team as much on-court while you learn.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#15 » by Woody Allen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:46 am

CAE15 wrote: I would think quite a few teams could beat that offer.

Many wouldn't though. Rubio's skillet doesn't warrant a starting gig on most teams and he's not a great player to have off-the-bench.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,879

Re: RE: Re: Yet another Rubio trade (MN/Denver) 

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 am

Woody Allen wrote:
CAE15 wrote: I would think quite a few teams could beat that offer.

Many wouldn't though. Rubio's skillet doesn't warrant a starting gig on most teams and he's not a great player to have off-the-bench.

Yeah, why would a player who generates good offense be a good player off the bench?? I never understood this logic. A player that can run an offense, distribute the ball, and play great defense would be a phenominal player off the bench.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#17 » by Vesper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 am

+Mudiay sucks
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#18 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:22 am

I think Denver could be a good spot for Ricky. However, I don't think the teams make great trade partners. Gallinari or Chandler would be the pieces I'd look into getting from Denver. Arthur is decent, but I see him as a good bench player. We'd like there a super sub, or someone to potentially start over Gorgui/Zach that can play defense and let Wiggins play the 2.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#19 » by breatnach » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 am

wolves_89 wrote:If the level of return for Rubio is this low I'd much rather keep him and let him be the "bridge" PG.

I think that's most fans main issue with the trade rumours. What better bridge than a veteran player who plays defense and is a true professional, that's locked in for another 2 years on a fair contract? It's not like we're going to sign him to some super-max deal... just let him play out his contract and then he can either re-sign as a bench PG or go elsewhere.
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,336

Post#20 » by Rubio9Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm

I think moving Rubio makes a lot of sense. But I don't think they do it for another point guard. I would think you'd roll will Dunn and Tyus and have Lucas for emergency siutations

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions