T&T board's top 20 highest trade value - Final list

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

T&T board's top 20 highest trade value - Final list 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Re: T&T board's top 20 highest trade value - Final list 

Post#2 » by Mich3006 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 am

KD outside the top20 is surprising, even with his player option.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Credit to the people who made the slightly controversial choice of voting Towns 3rd at the time, he would probably go over Davis if you did it now
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#4 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Ayatollah wrote:KD outside the top20 is surprising, even with his player option.

He doesn't come with bird rights. You would have the same chance to sign him if you traded for him as if you didn't so unless you are trading for him for this season only he has no value in trade. He's going to opt out to get his 35% max contract and you would have to clear the cap space to sign him and convince him it was the best place for him to get a ring. If he had signed the 1+1 in OKC he would be in the top 5, because his bird rights would trade with him.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#5 » by Mich3006 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:35 am

Joel Embiid over (healthy) guys like Wall or Gobert is crazy...
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 am

Ayatollah wrote:Joel Embiid over (healthy) guys like Wall or Gobert is crazy...

To be fair, he was very healthy at the time.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#7 » by Vindicater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 pm

All of the top three are simply untradeable.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#8 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Vindicater wrote:All of the top three are simply untradeable.

If I'm being honest, and I have been once or twice in my life, I dont think anyone inside the top 15 is tradeable unless they want out from their respective teams.

16-20.. I could see them getting dealt w/o that qualifier in a few situations. But that's why highest trade value scenarios are so odd - the instant that any one of those players is available on the market, their trade value (relative to everyone else) drops. IE, if Steph Curry was likely to bolt the Warriors at the end of the season, it wouldn't cost more than it would to acquire John Wall (who, for this example, 110% loves playing for the Wiz and they love him back). Curry's value would drop upon knowing he's available.

Trade value is so fluid like that. It's exactly like the stock market.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#9 » by BdeRegt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 am

LeBron should be number 1 without a doubt. You instantly become a title favorite. No other player gives that.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#10 » by H2tObes » Sun Apr 2, 2017 2:10 am

Very surprised that Embiid is on the list at all, but 11? Everyone must have forgot that it's a 50/50 chance he is even going to be playing basketball in 4 years when they were voting
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#11 » by mudsak » Sun Apr 2, 2017 4:26 pm

Good list
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#12 » by sportscrazy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Giannis, Gobert, Jokic... I think we're going to see in the next decade that the foreign players who have re-envisioned what basketball is growing up in a post-1992 Dream Team world where basketball was globalized lead to a lot of young foreign players being the cream of the crop. The foreign players are not just tall white guys who are soft and can just shoot basically, they have to earn their place on a professional team at a young age where they're taught the discipline of team basketball.

As much as the 1992 Dream Team and following global popularity of basketball affected young athletes overseas in a positive way, AAU has negatively affected the way American-born players develop. They're taught how to score and brand themselves as stars rather than learn the true beauty of team basketball.

I really think over the next decade, we're going to see a big time affect on where teams get their youth from when the young players who are growing up still from a post-global basketball era (mostly stemming from the impact of the 1992 Dream Team 25 years ago) and the young players who are growing up from a post-AAU culture over here enter the league.

I would love for some one to provide a good read on the effect the Dream Team had globally to young athletes overseas versus the effect the AAU has had on young athletes in America and what direction those trends could lead the NBA to.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#13 » by jmr07019 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 am

The list values potential too much and current ability not enough.

1. Kawhi
2. Davis
3. LeBron
Show Love Spread Love
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#14 » by nolang1 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm

sportscrazy wrote:Giannis, Gobert, Jokic... I think we're going to see in the next decade that the foreign players who have re-envisioned what basketball is growing up in a post-1992 Dream Team world where basketball was globalized lead to a lot of young foreign players being the cream of the crop. The foreign players are not just tall white guys who are soft and can just shoot basically, they have to earn their place on a professional team at a young age where they're taught the discipline of team basketball.

As much as the 1992 Dream Team and following global popularity of basketball affected young athletes overseas in a positive way, AAU has negatively affected the way American-born players develop. They're taught how to score and brand themselves as stars rather than learn the true beauty of team basketball.

I really think over the next decade, we're going to see a big time affect on where teams get their youth from when the young players who are growing up still from a post-global basketball era (mostly stemming from the impact of the 1992 Dream Team 25 years ago) and the young players who are growing up from a post-AAU culture over here enter the league.

I would love for some one to provide a good read on the effect the Dream Team had globally to young athletes overseas versus the effect the AAU has had on young athletes in America and what direction those trends could lead the NBA to.

Or maybe America has 4% of the world's population and shouldn't be expected to produce every single top basketball player.

jmr07019 wrote:The list values potential too much and current ability not enough.

1. Kawhi
2. Davis
3. LeBron

This is akin to saying that you wouldn't trade Dwyane Wade for Anthony Davis in 2011.
Djh7475
Pro Prospect
And1: 422

Post#15 » by Djh7475 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 7:35 pm

Outside of Embiid and Cousins, the list looks right. Considering most of the guys above Embiid and some below him would be worth the #1 pick or near it, he stands out as the biggest outlier. I don't think Embiid has nearly enough value to consider trading him. No one should even be giving up a top 10 pick for a player who is about to get maxed by the 76ers (or whoever else if they traded him) who's far more likely to be injured for most of that contract than he is to play the way he did when he was healthy this season.

I would be scared of giving him the contract he's about to command (unless I was rebuilding and it didn't matter), much less giving up a superstar or an elite prospect for the right to do so. Honestly, the 76ers are the perfect situation for him. They can easily pay him the max without having an effect on their short term outlook, but they can also give him back-to-backs off and keep him on a minutes restriction with the hope that he eventually finds a way to stay healthy.

For what the 76ers would get relative to what he could become when healthy, they will never trade him. Also, moving forward the 76ers are going to be cautious with him for YEARS. Even little ding is going to cost him weeks instead of days or months instead of weeks. For a max player who the 76ers want to build a contender around in a few years, that's tough to accept. Look at the Clippers the last several years for how frustrating it can be, and CP3/Blake Griffin don't have nearly as sketchy medical histories and aren't nearly as massive. In a trade, the negative far outweighs the positive considering his contract situation/assets required to get him. For the 76ers, the upside outweighs trading him without getting back a premier prospect.

Return to Trades and Transactions