Lopez for your 1-year left contract?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Lopez for your 1-year left contract? 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:54 pm

So marks was unable to find anything for lopez at the deadline with little interest and nurkik and cousins going to the potential lopez destinations.

Marks is left with finding someone to take lopez for a pick on draft night (unlikely), losing him for nothing (an option but not a great one) or extending him (marks seems smarter then that).

so that leaves us with an "our 1 year rental for your 1 year rental" type deals.

What guys with 1 year left who likely wont be back with their teams might be availble in an evan swap for lopez (or with filler going back and forth?)

-Asik + Harrell or capella for lopez?

-Monta ellis for lopez?

-Tony parker for lopez (join marks to be a mentor for young nets?)
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Re: Lopez for your 1-year left contract? 

Post#2 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

The only team I thought that would make sense is the Spurs as Lopez is a slight upgrade over Gasol and the Spurs have limited options to try and upgrade to maximize their remaining window with Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge. The Nets could buyout Gasol for $8 million if he exercises his player option so that he can sign for MLE of $8 million to a contender and still get paid same amount while Nets get $14 million in cap space to use that towards signing a younger, long term C.

Lopez
for
Gasol and 2018 1st (lottery protected) + 2019 2nd?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#3 » by chrbal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

I think that the Nets should trade Brook for his brother and Rajon Rondo. Brook gives the Bulls a solid low post player with good offensive skills. Robin isn't as great overall, but his contracts runs a year longer...hes more along the lines of what I think Brooklyn needs.

Rondo gets cut, and the Nets are only on the hook for like $3 mil for him.
Mr1akers
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Mr1akers » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm

If lal can keep their pick, brewer/hou 1st
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#5 » by yanuary » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:So marks was unable to find anything for lopez at the deadline with little interest and nurkik and cousins going to the potential lopez destinations.

Marks is left with finding someone to take lopez for a pick on draft night (unlikely), losing him for nothing (an option but not a great one) or extending him (marks seems smarter then that).

so that leaves us with an "our 1 year rental for your 1 year rental" type deals.

What guys with 1 year left who likely wont be back with their teams might be availble in an evan swap for lopez (or with filler going back and forth?)

-Monta ellis for lopez?

Asik isnt play in Rockets anymore...
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,177

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:38 pm

I think Ellis for Lopez has legs if you take back Big Al as well. If you're willing to do that, I think that Indy gives up its pick as well.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#7 » by loserX » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Why would Brooklyn swap Lopez for Ellis? I don't get it. Lopez is still the better player and it's unlikely they'll need the extra capspace.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#8 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 pm

At this point if the Nets get anything for Lopez I'd consider it a win. He's getting paid 20m+, is a liability as a rebounder, and his defense is passable but probably in the bottom half of starting Cs.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#9 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:27 pm

FNQ wrote:At this point if the Nets get anything for Lopez I'd consider it a win. He's getting paid 20m+, is a liability as a rebounder, and his defense is passable but probably in the bottom half of starting Cs.

Exactly what I was pointing out my friend when you had suggested Dal trade expirings for him. Yes they ended up getting rid of both of those guys anyways (D-Will cut, Bogut traded) but better that than taking on Lopez.

Agree he's a bottom dweller C at this stage
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#10 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:39 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
FNQ wrote:At this point if the Nets get anything for Lopez I'd consider it a win. He's getting paid 20m+, is a liability as a rebounder, and his defense is passable but probably in the bottom half of starting Cs.

Exactly what I was pointing out my friend when you had suggested Dal trade expirings for him. Yes they ended up getting rid of both of those guys anyways (D-Will cut, Bogut traded) but better that than taking on Lopez.

True, but I did admit that I didnt like the value that much and it seemed more like a Cuban-esque move to buy a former good player at reduced value and try to recoup the value.

I forget what exactly I offered (was it only Bogut/Deron? I wonder what I gave the Nets).. but I still stand by it, if so. Reason being that the Mavs used Bogut as non-necessary filler for the Noel trade, and Deron was cut.. and at worst, Lopez represents a large expiring to play with next year, and right now the Mavs will have no capspace after matching Noel (and really, none before it either).

I dont think he's a bottom dweller C, he's just clearly not good enough to be a #1 option - or #2 IMO - and is an oddball fit. But I still think the move would have been fine.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 pm

FNQ wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

True, but I did admit that I didnt like the value that much and it seemed more like a Cuban-esque move to buy a former good player at reduced value and try to recoup the value.

I forget what exactly I offered (was it only Bogut/Deron? I wonder what I gave the Nets).. but I still stand by it, if so. Reason being that the Mavs used Bogut as non-necessary filler for the Noel trade, and Deron was cut.. and at worst, Lopez represents a large expiring to play with next year, and right now the Mavs will have no capspace after matching Noel (and really, none before it either).

I dont think he's a bottom dweller C, he's just clearly not good enough to be a #1 option - or #2 IMO - and is an oddball fit. But I still think the move would have been fine.

Agree that it would not have been a far fetched deal given Cuban's tendencies.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#12 » by HotelVitale » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

He's also a very skilled and versatile offensive big who can get you volume buckets efficiently. Think this falls into the category of 'he's not a star but that doesn't mean he's not good'; he won't be the answer for every team but he would thrive in the right situation. I caught a couple of quarters of Nets-Nuggets the other day and was reminded how skilled he is, real knack for buckets.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#13 » by sportscrazy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson and Top 18 Protected 2018 First Round Draft Pick for Brook Lopez?

Allows Indy to keep their 2017 pick and make one last go at it with Paul George because if the Lakers rumors have legs to it, they're not going to get fair value in a trade so if the options are take whatever low ball offer is out there to make sure you don't lose him for nothing OR try to improve the team as much as possible knowing you can offer the most money at the risk of losing him for nothing, I think the second option is much better.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#14 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 pm

The Nets were wanting 2 1sts for him which they couldn't get. I don't see why teams that are currently 15-20 wouldn't take him at the draft especially if they can dump a bad contract.

I really can see the Bucks giving up their late lotto pick for him and Nicholson for Henson, Hawes and Delly. That saves them 13 million dollars for the last two seasons of Henson and Delly's contracts .
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#15 » by Mykhyn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:The only team I thought that would make sense is the Spurs as Lopez is a slight upgrade over Gasol and the Spurs have limited options to try and upgrade to maximize their remaining window with Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge. The Nets could buyout Gasol for $8 million if he exercises his player option so that he can sign for MLE of $8 million to a contender and still get paid same amount while Nets get $14 million in cap space to use that towards signing a younger, long term C.

Lopez
for

Lopez provides nothing Gasol doesn't.

Gasol gives us the passing we need.

Nets would have to give up the picks.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 am

Prokorov wrote:So marks was unable to find anything for lopez at the deadline with little interest and nurkik and cousins going to the potential lopez destinations.

-Monta ellis for lopez?

Prok, I feel like this is Bogs all over again. You insisted it would be nearly impossible to get a 1st for him, yet Marks did.

I think you're undervaluing Lopez just the same.

I doubt Marks gets a ton of value for Lopez, but I can see a much lesser player on expiring contract and a mid-1st, or a decent prospect still on rookie contract.

That or Detroit reconsiders Lopez for Drummond, or another similar deal.

If not I'm guessing he holds him til the deadline and finds a team willing to rent him for a 2018 pick in the 20's and an expiring.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 am

ntsap wrote:The Nets were wanting 2 1sts for him which they couldn't get. I don't see why teams that are currently 15-20 wouldn't take him at the draft especially if they can dump a bad contract.

I really can see the Bucks giving up their late lotto pick for him and Nicholson for Henson, Hawes and Delly. That saves them 13 million dollars for the last two seasons of Henson and Delly's contracts .

Yup, these types of deals are likely too.

In fact I could see him being shipped to Indiana for this type of return as well.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 am

I can even see a deal with Phoenix of Lopez and the later of the Washington or Boston pick for either Knight or Chandler and the Miami 1st.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#19 » by sportfan6197 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 am

Cklbmk wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:The only team I thought that would make sense is the Spurs as Lopez is a slight upgrade over Gasol and the Spurs have limited options to try and upgrade to maximize their remaining window with Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge. The Nets could buyout Gasol for $8 million if he exercises his player option so that he can sign for MLE of $8 million to a contender and still get paid same amount while Nets get $14 million in cap space to use that towards signing a younger, long term C.

Lopez
for

Lopez provides nothing Gasol doesn't.

Gasol gives us the passing we need.

Nets would have to give up the picks.

LOLLLL I'm cringing hard.

Yeah, no
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#20 » by Dr Aki » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 am

would the nets be interested in a HOU 1st/Clarkson/Mozgov for Lopez draft night trade?

BKN needs to make up the salary floor somehow, why not land 2 young prospects while you're at it?

Return to Trades and Transactions