Offseason the Suns: Post your version here

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,605

Offseason the Suns: Post your version here 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Alright, it is that time. Lets start seeing how we all can do offseasoning a given team before it starts.
Previous teams:
Nets

Smitty's Suns preview: http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245576/2017-NBA-Offseason-Preview-Phoenix-Suns

Team basics:
Draft: #2 or tied 2-3 pre-lottery, #32, #54 (could be 1-6 on the first given lottery and worse case scenario of losing a tiebreaker to the Lakers and getting jumped by 3 teams, 32 or 33 on the second, and within a pick of 54 on the last one).

Depth Chart (from bbinsiders with Milsap added on):
PG: Tyler Ulis, Ronnie Price (UFA), Brandon Knight, Eric Bledsoe (injured)
SG: Devin Booker, Leandro Barbosa (mostly nonguaranteed), Elijah Millsap (RFA)
SF: T.J. Warren, Derrick Jones (nonguaranteed), Jarell Eddie (RFA)
PF: Marquese Chriss, Jared Dudley, Dragan Bender (injured)
C: Alex Len (restricted), Alan Williams (RFA), Tyson Chandler

Cap space: up to ~30m if letting Len and all free agents and unguaranteed guys go.

So, some open questions:
1) Draft board 1-6? Any ideal early 2nd rounder guys for #32?
2) Any moves contingent upon draft slotting? I.e. Only move Bledsoe if picking 1-2.
3) Center situation resolution? Does Tyson CHandler get traded? How high should Phoenix go on Len and at what cost should they let him walk?
4) Do either Knight or Bledsoe get moved and if so where and for what?
5) Other vets: Dudley and Barbosa, does Barbosa get his 4m deal picked up or bought out for 500k before 7/3? Does Dudley get traded?
6) What free agents would you target, either with cap room after some moves above or just with the full MLE?
7) Keep Watson as coach?

If you were hired this offseason to GM Phoenix, what would be your plan?
HartfordWhalers

Re: Offseason the Suns: Post your version here 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm looking at Phoenix and viewing them as a step 2.5 in a full on rebuild.

I'm moving the following players assuming I can:
Chandler
Knight
Barbosa (cut)
Bledsoe
Dudley

Dudley is the only one I even consider keeping unless the market for Bledsoe is beyond awful. And even then I might move Bledsoe. So, time to figure out some deals.

Chandler. The backup deal is to Boston after all of free agency fails for Boston, but that seems too risky to wait on, and maybe not even there then. Besides Boston, where is there? Maybe you could talk a Milwaukee deal into happening (swap for Henson), but otherwise I just see the usual targets of Toronto, Portland, and the outside chance of Charlotte who unfortunately went for a worse center already.

I go back to the send Chandler to Portland for Leonard +and make it work financially for Portland.
Chandler for Leonard + Davis clears some nice room for Portland financially, gets them a better center, and Davis is looking like odd man out so not a big loss. But it doesn't do enough for Phoenix, who eats year 3 after this year of Leonard. Eating the partial guarantee on Ezeli would sweeten the deal slightly. I would offer up:
#26, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis for Chandler or
#23, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis for Chandler and #32
and in either, the idea would be to route Davis to a 3rd team. Think Minnesota?

So, here goes:

Phoenix out: Chandler, #32
Phoenix in: Leonard, Ezeli, #23

Gets to move up 9 spots for taking on an extra year. gets a worse center, but a younger one who might still recover?

Por out: #23, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis
Por in: #32, Chandler, Minn 2018 2nd (top 40 protected)

Gets a center upgrade, financial breathing room, off the last year of Leonard, and the cost is trading back from 23 to 32 and a future 2nd

Minn out: 2018 2nd (top 40 protected)
Minn in: Ed Davis

Classic roll over cap space until it can be used better, while also getting a guy that can help out a little. A future mid 2nd is worth the cost.

For Knight, you are stuck with the fact that he is awful, has a possible attitude issue, and you paid a fortune for him. And he is still young enough that giving up feels almost wrong. So, thats when you offer him for basically free to the Nets and see if that fixes all your problems? No? Okay, Kings, you want Knight for a conditional protected future 2nd? For free? For eating Afflalo's partial guarantee?

Kings out: Afflalo
Kings in: Knight

Tries a youngish guy for free (minus the cap space)

Phoenix out: Knight
Phoenix in: Afflalo (cut)

Gets out from under Knight

In case it wasn't obvious, I have more than given up my he still has value idea about Knight. Philly gets tossed around a bunch, but in order to see a deal there I think you need to take Bayless back.

Bayless and OKC top 20 protected 1st for Knight? That feels light for Phoenix. But okay:

Bayless, OKC top20 protected 1st (if not 2 2nds) and a 2nd from Philly this year? (Philly has 36, 39, 45, 49, so lots of options)

Contractwise:
Bayless: $9,000,000 $8,575,916
Knight: $13,618,750 $14,631,250 $15,643,750

Getting out of that third year feels worth it with the conditional first even if t is #45.

Can I talk myself into it for Philly? Maybe if I ignore that third year and figure the team is over the cap then anyway?

So, here goes:

Phoenix in: Bayless, OKC 2020-22 1st (top 20 one shot, if not 2 2nds), #45
Phoenix out: Knight,

Moves on. Gets a conditional 1st, a mid 2nd, and partial cap relief

Phi out: Bayless, OKC 2020-22 1st (top 20 one shot, if not 2 2nds), #45
Phi in: Knight

Sure, I regret posting this. But Bayless is old and was injured, and the other assets are marginal. So its a cap space for a 'youthier' bad player. Still that 6m cap space in a year feels like a real cost, even before the 15.6m the next year.

On to Bledsoe. Time to play with gasoline. Dallas, New Orleans, and Indiana. Minnesota and Chicago? Orlando??

Dallas out: #9, Dwight Powell, one of Barea/Harris
Dallas in: Bledsoe, #32

So much for the patient rebuild. But adding Bledsoe to the team for one last run with Dirk could be fun, and assuming health it adds to the athleticism of a team that just upgraded that a lot.

Phoenix out: Bledsoe, #32
Phoenix in: #9, Dwight Powell, one of Barea/Harris

Gets a pretty good pick, while moving on.

Alternative:
NewOrleans out: 2018 1st top 3 protected, Asik
New Orleans in: Bledsoe

Talk about a fun all in gamble. Jrue?/Beldsoe/too bad Hill isn't worth his deal/AD/Cousins.

Phoenix out: Bledsoe
Phoenix in: 2018 1st top 3 protected, Asik

Talk about a risky gamble. Jrue?/Beldsoe/too bad Hill isn't worth his deal/AD/Cousins. That team could have Jrue walk, could crash and burn with too many high touch players. or it could be a 50win team. I'm not sure I could risk it, but I would consider it.

Alternative:
Phoenix in: #15, Monta Ellis, Indy 2019 1st (top 14/12/10 protected then a 2nd rounder)

The big keep PG13 push.

Indy out: #15, Monta Ellis, Indy 2019 1st (top 14/12/10 protected then a 2nd rounder)
Indy in: Bledsoe

So, 2 mid 1sts and an expiring contract for Bledsoe (if cut before next season ends). Doesn't hit the top end talent but for moving on it isn't the worst, and I would take it and just move on if getting a top end pg in this draft.

Dudley. I end up keeping him. You need a Dudley on a team that just jettisned everyone else. But for the sake of argument:

Phoenix out: Dudley
Phoenix in: Rondo (cut), #37

Gets a high 2nd and some cap space

Chicago out: Rondo #37
Chicago in: Dudley

Gets a vet that might make Butler happy?

Okay, will do draft and free agency in a new post, this one got long quick...
HartfordWhalers

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 am

I'm betting someone else can do a few Phoenix trades before I make them spend all their free agent money.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#4 » by BullyKing » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I wouldn't do that Knight trade for Philly. Knight, I think, is objectively the better player. But his contract is worse and I'm very concerned about Knight's reported attitude issues about coming off the bench. So I think all that considered, Bayless is a better fit for the role that is open in Philly (backup combo guard playing about 15 minutes).
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Andy_BBall
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Andy_BBall » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Honestly I think most of their offseason plans would revolve around which pick they land in the draft. If they end up with #2 and get Lonzo, they will definitely move Bledsoe or Knight (probably Bledsoe since he has way more trade value). If their pick lands in the 3-5 range, they'll probably pick up a wing player like Jackson or Tatum, and how they develop will determine whether or not they move Dudley and Jones.
I upload videos on NBA fun facts, trivia, and other basketball content. :)

Check out my 'What If' video if Shaq never left the Lakers!
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#6 » by SideSwipe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:36 am

I'll play too...

Here is an alternate universe.

PHX/ CHI

Bledsoe/ PHX 2017 #1
for
Butler/ CHI 2017 #1

PHX/ IND

Knight/ Warren/ Bender/ 2 MIA picks/ PHX 2018 #1
for
George

PHX drafts Adebayo (#17)
PHX drafts Tony Bradley (#32)
PHX drafts Moses Kingsley or Alpha Kaba at #52 for a 2 year Europe stash

Sign and trade Len for a future late first.

PHX signs Griffin starting at $28mil/season.

Booker/ Ulis/
Butler/ Barbosa/
George/ Jones Jr./ Dudley/
Griffin/ Chriss/ Adebayo (#17)
Chandler/ Williams/ Bradley (#32)

PHX gets 4 potential All-Stars (though individual numbers will definitely go down.) including 3 strong defensive starters. You get Harden-light ball distribution from Booker and Butler. 3pt shooting from Booker and George. Boards from Chandler, Williams, Adebayo. Great combination of veterans, mid-career guys, youth and prospects that can grow with the cap. Whether George stays or not will depend on how well the team performs the next two years, but there's a good chance it could do well. Will the personalities and egos match? That's a tougher question.
HartfordWhalers

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Okay, I'm going into free agency with the following plan.

Noncommittal interest in Len -- losing a young player for nothing is bad but so is big contracts to guys not worth them (knight). I tell his agent to bring me a deal before signed and either I will offer the same with the larger home raises or I will work a sign and trade with that team and get something for letting him walk.

I do consider A deal for Plumlee just for how it effects Denver when they match.

And ultimately I might offer Motie a 1+1 overpaying in year 1 to get a team option for year 2.

Besides that I really don't like my free agent options. I try and take on salary in trades above and ultimately I match Lens deal because where else am I spending the money?

Oh, and I randomly offer Nandi de Colo some money or a similar guy in Europe in a move that comes out of left field.

Someone spend money better, or do better trades please. Phoenix looks like on earth of the most potentially interesting summer situations and I know someone has a good idea on how it should work.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#8 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:37 pm

I am going to have Suns go other direction...

Also working under assumption Suns get Fultz or Ball at 1 or 2.

To Lakers: Bledsoe + Warren + Chandler
To Suns: Deng + Mosgov + #28 + #3

[Lakers do trade to clear up 8-10mil in cap (and if needed Chandler much easier to move vs. Deng or Mosgov). If they can sign a big name FA (Ibaka or Griffin or Millsap or ?) with cap and also choose to use Ingram+ for a consolidation trade targeting Butler or George, they would have a nice win now team.]

Suns Draft:
#1 or #2: Ball or Fultz
#3: Jackson
#28 (willing to add #32 to move up a few): Draft C flyer: Pasecniks or Adebayo or whoever looks like most upside.

Free Agency:
I like many are willing to let Len walk if an offer is not to my liking. More so with #28 in play. Most likely he is gone. I will sign a couple vet FAs but nothing big of a signing.

C: Bender | #28 | Mosgov
F: Chriss | Bender | Deng
F: Jackson | Dudley | Deng
G: Booker | Dudley | Knight
G: Fultz or Ball | Ulis | Knight

Can Booker-Fultz or Ball-Jackson-Chriss-Bender what should be a tank 2018 top 3, and what becomes of Heat 1sts owed, lead Suns into the future promise land?
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#9 » by ATTL » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I am going to have Suns go other direction...

Also working under assumption Suns get Fultz or Ball at 1 or 2.

To Lakers: Bledsoe + Warren + Chandler
To Suns: Deng + Mosgov + #28 + #3

[Lakers do trade to clear up 8-10mil in cap (and if needed Chandler much easier to move vs. Deng or Mosgov). If they can sign a big name FA (Ibaka or Griffin or Millsap or ?) with cap and also choose to use Ingram+ for a consolidation trade targeting Butler or George, they would have a nice win now team.]

Suns Draft:
#1 or #2: Ball or Fultz
#3: Jackson
#28 (willing to add #32 to move up a few): Draft C flyer: Pasecniks or Adebayo or whoever looks like most upside.

Free Agency:
I like many are willing to let Len walk if an offer is not to my liking. More so with #28 in play. Most likely he is gone. I will sign a couple vet FAs but nothing big of a signing.

C: Bender | #28 | Mosgov
F: Chriss | Bender | Deng
F: Jackson | Dudley | Deng
G: Booker | Dudley | Knight
G: Fultz or Ball | Ulis | Knight

Can Booker-Fultz or Ball-Jackson-Chriss-Bender what should be a tank 2018 top 3, and what becomes of Heat 1sts owed, lead Suns into the future promise land?

Done.
If not this trade, then the Indiana trade posted earlier was nice.

Personally, I'd trade bledsoe for the best package available.
I'd trade knight as long as it didnt cost anything to move him.
I dont see the suns moving dudley, he was signed last summer specifically to be the old man on the team and try to teach them. Chandler is fine with that role too from everything thats being said. Barbosa seems to be cool with it too.
I doubt the suns make any kind of free agency attempt this summer.
Let Len walk, resign Alan Williams.

I think making a trade for an established player (butler, George) is much less likely than trading bledsoe.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#10 » by loserX » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 am

Alright, I'm game.

Front Office

I'm not a big fan of McDonough's...seems like every year he tries to play both ends, drafting young projects and then signing win-now veterans. The drafting seems to work okay, he's found some good pieces. The win-now part doesn't seem to turn out very well and he often has to cycle through guys who get frustrated. This year the Suns should pick a lane...preferably the slow one.

In that light, Earl Watson can stick around as coach; at the very least he's got most of the young guys developing well.

Trades

First things first: I sit down with the veterans and be frank with them. Unless our top pick blossoms immediately, we're probably in for more losing this year, and perhaps next year also. Anyone who's not down with that, speak now and we'll find a new home for you. The Suns have had more than their share of vocal grumps the last few years, and only guys 100% committed to the long haul are welcome.

At least one of Knight and Bledsoe has to go; moving both in one offseason is a tall order, especially with Bledsoe coming off an injury. So let's move Knight, and give Bledsoe time to play his value back up. We'll also free Tyson Chandler, but keep Dudley as a veteran presence unless he already wants out.

TRADE #1:

Suns trade/Kings receive: Brandon Knight
Kings trade/Suns receive: Rudy Gay (if he opts in)

I tossed versions of this around last year, and even with all the time that's passed, I still like it. The Kings currently have zero PGs under contract next year, and Knight could prove useful even if they draft one. Gay isn't part of their plans anyway.

Suns move an increasingly redundant Knight for Gay; if Gay can play, he can take minutes at the 3/4 to keep their kids from getting killed. If not, no problem: tank on, Phoenix, tank on.

TRADE #2:
Suns trade Tyson Chandler for Cole Aldrich, Kyle Singler and pick #21
Timberwolves trade Cole Aldrich and Tyus Jones for Tyson Chandler
Thunder trade Kyle Singler and pick #21 for Tyus Jones

This is a draft day trade, allowing OKC to get around the Stepien rule.

Chandler is great, but the Suns do him a solid and send him to a team a little further along. They get back a cheaper but still productive backup C, and eat Singler's deal in order (with cap to burn) to swap an unneededTyus for another 2017 pick.

The Wolves get the gritty veteran presence Thibs craves, a smart, rugged defensive C who can backup Towns or share some minutes in jumbo lineups without taking Towns' touches. The cost to upgrade Aldrich is a redundant Tyus, and the Wolves keep their pick and all their capspace.

The Thunder need another playmaker with Payne traded; they get a decent young one here, much higher floor than a pick. AND they dump Singler's deal...hard to say no to this.

DRAFT

For this exercise, I always just assume the draft lottery will follow the standings (too many alternative plans otherwise). That leaves us with #2, #21 (acquired above), #32 and #54.

#2 - Lonzo Ball Assuming Fultz goes #1 to Boston. Ball is as creative uptempo runner and passer, perfect for the Suns' high-flying roster. Being a star in the making doesn't hurt either; a Ball-Booker backcourt could be very special.
#21 - Rodions Kurucz An offensively versatile shooter/scorer at SF. Currently playing in Barcelona, but the Suns have youth everywhere, so stashing Kurucz may actually be the *smart* idea for them.
#32 - Jonathan Jeanne Another foreign prospect, this time a gangly French C (7'2", wingspan 7'7"!). Raw but freakish, definitely worth a stash.
#54 - who cares. At this point, might as well sell it for cash to someone.

FREE AGENCY

As mentioned, we are taking the slow road, and the roster is actually pretty full, so there isn't a lot to do here. The big question is Len; has he shown enough to earn another deal? Or are we better off testing out Dragan Bender as our C of the future and going with a veteran off the bench instead? I half expect the Nets or some such to make an offer on Len (especially if Brook Lopez is traded), so let him walk and throw a one-year deal at Kris Humphries instead...all we need him to do is hoover up some boards, and that he can do. We could also use another wing, especially if Rudy Gay is not available; I'd like Tony Allen but I suspect he goes ring-chasing. Let's add Brandon Rush as a cheap fill-in for a year, I'm sure he'll be happy for anything over the minimum.

ROSTER

Bender/Aldrich/Humphries
Chriss/Dudley
Warren/(Gay if healthy)/Singler
Booker/Rush/Barbosa
Bledsoe/Ball/Ulis

With a couple more stashed picks in the pipeline. If the team performs well, we can still add talent. If not, then let Bledsoe and Gay get on the floor and rack up some points, then put them on the trade block and see what happens.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#11 » by hcsilla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:45 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Can Booker-Fultz or Ball-Jackson-Chriss-Bender what should be a tank 2018 top 3, and what becomes of Heat 1sts owed, lead Suns into the future promise land?

I'm not sure but that's how rebuilding works. Nothing is easy and you never know but it's hard to execute it otherwise.

The Lakers trade is definitely the direction what the Suns should have to follow, IMO.

Bledsoe for Deng, #3 is a solid/OK offer and if the Lakers refuse it, the Chandler-Mozgov swap is a reasonable sweetener. Adding the part of Warren for #28 seems tough to swallow, but if the Suns truly believe that two of the Fultz-Ball-Jackson trio have (at least) All-Star potential than even that might be affordable.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#12 » by NashtyNas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Holy crap seeing some of these makes me want to throw up. If that's the value for Chandler, Bledsoe and Warren... we aren't moving them.

Hopefully my version doesn't induce such feelings for the rest of you... here goes:
Pre-draft/draft:

Trade Knight + #32 for TPE + #57 to Brooklyn

Why for Suns? Get rid of Knight so I don't have to watch him ever again.
Why for Nets? Get another capable body without having to pay them $60M+/4years and move up in the 2nd.

Assuming pick is top 2....

Bledsoe, Warren for Lance Thomas, Kyle O'Quinn, #7 (2017 1st)
- Suns get assets for Bledsoe.
- NY goes smallball. Bledsoe/Lee/Warren/Melo/KP

Chandler for Hawes + Teletovic (cut Hawes) - only if Chandler wants out. I have no problem keeping him and letting him retire here.
- Bucks get a real C to bolster their frontline and coach Maker at minimal cost

Dudley for Abrines, Huestis - again, only if he wants out to compete.
- OKC gets a useful player
- Phoenix cuts $$

Draft:
#2 - Ball or Fultz (whoever is available; assume Ball for this experiment)
#7 - Tatum/Isaac/Markkanen (whoever is available, in that order; for the sake of this experiment, we'll assume Tatum is there).

FA: Renounce/buy-out all FA/unguaranteeds to maximize capspace except for Williams.

Assuming we move Knight for capspace and renounce all FAs (excluding Williams) and buyouts, cap space would be around $44M.

D. Gallinari - 4 years, $100M ($25M per)
A. Williams - 2 years, $18M ($9M per)
D. Collison - 2 years, $20M ($10M/per)

Ball/Collison/Ulis
Booker/Abrines/Huestis
Gallinari/Tatum/Thomas
Chriss/Teletovic/Bender
O'Quinn/Williams/Bender

If Gallo doesn't opt-out, I'd offer similar money to Iggy and Gay for less years (hopefully they take 2 years).
I'm strictly against overpaying Len (and Warren soon, which is why I move him).
These moves allow us to keep improving while adding great young talent. We've still got some picks in future drafts and a stud to be already in Booker. Adding more shooting and playmaking alongside him will make this team fun and exciting.

I'm sure a lot of Suns fans will laugh at this but that's the direction I'd like to go.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#13 » by ATTL » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Holy crap seeing some of these makes me want to throw up. If that's the value for Chandler, Bledsoe and Warren... we aren't moving them.

Hopefully my version doesn't induce such feelings for the rest of you... here goes:
Pre-draft/draft:

Trade Knight + #32 for TPE + #57 to Brooklyn

Why for Suns? Get rid of Knight so I don't have to watch him ever again.
Why for Nets? Get another capable body without having to pay them $60M+/4years and move up in the 2nd.

Assuming pick is top 2....

Bledsoe, Warren for Lance Thomas, Kyle O'Quinn, #7 (2017 1st)
- Suns get assets for Bledsoe.
- NY goes smallball. Bledsoe/Lee/Warren/Melo/KP

Chandler for Hawes + Teletovic (cut Hawes) - only if Chandler wants out. I have no problem keeping him and letting him retire here.
- Bucks get a real C to bolster their frontline and coach Maker at minimal cost

Dudley for Abrines, Huestis - again, only if he wants out to compete.
- OKC gets a useful player
- Phoenix cuts $$

Draft:
#2 - Ball or Fultz (whoever is available; assume Ball for this experiment)
#7 - Tatum/Isaac/Markkanen (whoever is available, in that order; for the sake of this experiment, we'll assume Tatum is there).

FA: Renounce/buy-out all FA/unguaranteeds to maximize capspace except for Williams.

Assuming we move Knight for capspace and renounce all FAs (excluding Williams) and buyouts, cap space would be around $44M.

D. Gallinari - 4 years, $100M ($25M per)
A. Williams - 2 years, $18M ($9M per)
D. Collison - 2 years, $20M ($10M/per)

Ball/Collison/Ulis
Booker/Abrines/Huestis
Gallinari/Tatum/Thomas
Chriss/Teletovic/Bender
O'Quinn/Williams/Bender

If Gallo doesn't opt-out, I'd offer similar money to Iggy and Gay for less years (hopefully they take 2 years).
I'm strictly against overpaying Len (and Warren soon, which is why I move him).
These moves allow us to keep improving while adding great young talent. We've still got some picks in future drafts and a stud to be already in Booker. Adding more shooting and playmaking alongside him will make this team fun and exciting.

I'm sure a lot of Suns fans will laugh at this but that's the direction I'd like to go.

I like it, I'd rather not sign gallo or collision and run with ulis at backup while starting Tatum and giving Jones, duds, and dragan the backup minutes at the 3.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#14 » by Kings2013 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:41 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I'm looking at Phoenix and viewing them as a step 2.5 in a full on rebuild.

I'm moving the following players assuming I can:
Chandler
Knight
Barbosa (cut)
Bledsoe
Dudley

Dudley is the only one I even consider keeping unless the market for Bledsoe is beyond awful. And even then I might move Bledsoe. So, time to figure out some deals.

Chandler. The backup deal is to Boston after all of free agency fails for Boston, but that seems too risky to wait on, and maybe not even there then. Besides Boston, where is there? Maybe you could talk a Milwaukee deal into happening (swap for Henson), but otherwise I just see the usual targets of Toronto, Portland, and the outside chance of Charlotte who unfortunately went for a worse center already.

I go back to the send Chandler to Portland for Leonard +and make it work financially for Portland.
Chandler for Leonard + Davis clears some nice room for Portland financially, gets them a better center, and Davis is looking like odd man out so not a big loss. But it doesn't do enough for Phoenix, who eats year 3 after this year of Leonard. Eating the partial guarantee on Ezeli would sweeten the deal slightly. I would offer up:
#26, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis for Chandler or
#23, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis for Chandler and #32
and in either, the idea would be to route Davis to a 3rd team. Think Minnesota?

So, here goes:

Phoenix out: Chandler, #32
Phoenix in: Leonard, Ezeli, #23

Gets to move up 9 spots for taking on an extra year. gets a worse center, but a younger one who might still recover?

Por out: #23, Leonard, Ezeli, Davis
Por in: #32, Chandler, Minn 2018 2nd (top 40 protected)

Gets a center upgrade, financial breathing room, off the last year of Leonard, and the cost is trading back from 23 to 32 and a future 2nd

Minn out: 2018 2nd (top 40 protected)
Minn in: Ed Davis

Classic roll over cap space until it can be used better, while also getting a guy that can help out a little. A future mid 2nd is worth the cost.

For Knight, you are stuck with the fact that he is awful, has a possible attitude issue, and you paid a fortune for him. And he is still young enough that giving up feels almost wrong. So, thats when you offer him for basically free to the Nets and see if that fixes all your problems? No? Okay, Kings, you want Knight for a conditional protected future 2nd? For free? For eating Afflalo's partial guarantee?

Kings out: Afflalo
Kings in: Knight

Tries a youngish guy for free (minus the cap space)

Phoenix out: Knight
Phoenix in: Afflalo (cut)

Gets out from under Knight

In case it wasn't obvious, I have more than given up my he still has value idea about Knight. Philly gets tossed around a bunch, but in order to see a deal there I think you need to take Bayless back.

Bayless and OKC top 20 protected 1st for Knight? That feels light for Phoenix. But okay:

Bayless, OKC top20 protected 1st (if not 2 2nds) and a 2nd from Philly this year? (Philly has 36, 39, 45, 49, so lots of options)

Contractwise:
Bayless: $9,000,000 $8,575,916
Knight: $13,618,750 $14,631,250 $15,643,750

Getting out of that third year feels worth it with the conditional first even if t is #45.

Can I talk myself into it for Philly? Maybe if I ignore that third year and figure the team is over the cap then anyway?

So, here goes:

Phoenix in: Bayless, OKC 2020-22 1st (top 20 one shot, if not 2 2nds), #45
Phoenix out: Knight,

Moves on. Gets a conditional 1st, a mid 2nd, and partial cap relief

Phi out: Bayless, OKC 2020-22 1st (top 20 one shot, if not 2 2nds), #45
Phi in: Knight

Sure, I regret posting this. But Bayless is old and was injured, and the other assets are marginal. So its a cap space for a 'youthier' bad player. Still that 6m cap space in a year feels like a real cost, even before the 15.6m the next year.

On to Bledsoe. Time to play with gasoline. Dallas, New Orleans, and Indiana. Minnesota and Chicago? Orlando??

Dallas out: #9, Dwight Powell, one of Barea/Harris
Dallas in: Bledsoe, #32

So much for the patient rebuild. But adding Bledsoe to the team for one last run with Dirk could be fun, and assuming health it adds to the athleticism of a team that just upgraded that a lot.

Phoenix out: Bledsoe, #32
Phoenix in: #9, Dwight Powell, one of Barea/Harris

Gets a pretty good pick, while moving on.

Alternative:
NewOrleans out: 2018 1st top 3 protected, Asik
New Orleans in: Bledsoe

Talk about a fun all in gamble. Jrue?/Beldsoe/too bad Hill isn't worth his deal/AD/Cousins.

Phoenix in: 2018 1st top 3 protected, Asik

Talk about a risky gamble. Jrue?/Beldsoe/too bad Hill isn't worth his deal/AD/Cousins. That team could have Jrue walk, could crash and burn with too many high touch players. or it could be a 50win team. I'm not sure I could risk it, but I would consider it.

Alternative:
Phoenix in: #15, Monta Ellis, Indy 2019 1st (top 14/12/10 protected then a 2nd rounder)

The big keep PG13 push.

Indy out: #15, Monta Ellis, Indy 2019 1st (top 14/12/10 protected then a 2nd rounder)
Indy in: Bledsoe

So, 2 mid 1sts and an expiring contract for Bledsoe (if cut before next season ends). Doesn't hit the top end talent but for moving on it isn't the worst, and I would take it and just move on if getting a top end pg in this draft.

Dudley. I end up keeping him. You need a Dudley on a team that just jettisned everyone else. But for the sake of argument:

Phoenix out: Dudley
Phoenix in: Rondo (cut), #37

Gets a high 2nd and some cap space

Chicago out: Rondo #37
Chicago in: Dudley

Gets a vet that might make Butler happy?

Okay, will do draft and free agency in a new post, this one got long quick...

Just no to the Kings and Knight

He's a bad player with a bad contract

He's not a PG

Even if your under the assumption he can play, Kings aren't trying to win next year OR Lawson/Collison are better cheaper

Just no
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,611

Post#15 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

What is considered an acceptable offer for Knight at this point? 2 2nds and cap relief? A low 1st?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,097

Post#16 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

dakomish23 wrote:What is considered an acceptable offer for Knight at this point? 2 2nds and cap relief? A low 1st?

My guess is a protected first that turns into two seconds (an "exploding first"). Maybe an exploding first and another second, if the Suns have to take on dead money. They'd probably be open to taking short-term money attached to high character veterans, however. Personally, I think he'd be a pretty worthwhile gamble for a lot of teams - not nearly the downside of *gulp* signing someone in free agency.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,097

Post#17 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 pm

1.A. Draft Ball or Fultz
1.B. Draft Jackson or Tatum
1.C. Draft Ntilikina

If you do 1.A, you look to move Bledsoe. If you do 1.B, you might look to move Warren. In either case, what I'm looking for in return is the "Dragic Special" (which is what I call two distant future firsts, lightly protected). Since I don't think I could get that for TJ (primarily because it would hurt the RFA negotiating position of the acquiring team, whereas Bled is under contract), I'm going to focus on Scenarios 1.A and 1.C.

2. Trade Bledsoe for the Dragic Special.

I do this in either case. Why? Because I love to watch Tyler Ulis play basketball, that's why. Did you know Tyler and Devin are best friends? I bet you did.

3. Deal BK for an Exploding First*.

*This term is defined in a prior post in this thread.

4. Re-sign Williams for around 4 years, $30 million; make a QO for Len and make it known that you're open to dealing him for a pair of second rounders.

The latter is a possibility mostly because we'll have the ability to pretty easily match any reasonable offer for Alex, and I don't think anyone will want to be in the position of making an unreasonable offer for a center after the seasons last year's FA centers had for their teams. I mean, we could trade Chandler for a couple seconds and re-sign Alex at $55 mil over 4, sure. Or we could S&T Alex for something similar. In terms of production, the two are similar. Both high-character individuals, both like Phoenix, one's younger and has more potential, the other provides leadership and consistency.

5. Keep Chandler; get a young C to develop on the third string.

Best opportunity to do this is probably with our second rounder. A bit out of order, but the reasoning of #3 paves the way for #4. But say we draft Adebayo or Bell, just as a placeholder. Could be Jeanne; who knows.

6. Re-sign TJ Warren.

I'm hoping for something in the mid-teens, like 4/$60.

EXAMPLE Final Roster (Main rotation players in bold):

Ball/Ulis/Price
Booker/Barbosa/Millsap
Warren/Jones Jr.
Chriss/Bender/Dudley
Chandler/Williams/Adebayo

For fun, I will further assume that:
(1) the Exploding First explodes, and
(2) the Dragic Special returns us 2020 and 2023 draft picks.

That would give us three additional future seconds and four additional future firsts, in addition to dat roster, going forward.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,611

Post#18 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:What is considered an acceptable offer for Knight at this point? 2 2nds and cap relief? A low 1st?

My guess is a protected first that turns into two seconds (an "exploding first"). Maybe an exploding first and another second, if the Suns have to take on dead money. They'd probably be open to taking short-term money attached to high character veterans, however. Personally, I think he'd be a pretty worthwhile gamble for a lot of teams - not nearly the downside of *gulp* signing someone in free agency.

I agree. He'll get moved for little and watch him have a huge bounce back year
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#19 » by NashtyNas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:19 pm

ATTL wrote:I like it, I'd rather not sign gallo or collision and run with ulis at backup while starting Tatum and giving Jones, duds, and dragan the backup minutes at the 3.

Obviously there's the case for that as we'd get a better 2018 pick going that route, but I think developing talent requires having talent on the roster. That's the reason we added guys like Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa - vets who know how the game is played and what is required of each individual. Adding guys like Collison who have been ultimate professional's even if they don't play much is very valuable especially for a young team, at least in my eyes.

As far as Gallo, would prefer an Iggy or Gay on a big 2 year deal just to get us through while competing for wins in games.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,352

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Leadership
Watson has done a decent enough job so far from what I've seen. I would keep him, at least in the short term. Since I'm technically "replacing" McDonough in this scenario, that's moot...but IRL I'd keep him around. He has done a great job finding high value players in the draft, and I think that if he were told to quit burning the candle at both ends (rebuild and retool) he would.

Veterans
For whatever reason, it seems like most of them want to stay in Phoenix, especially Chandler and Dudley. I can't say that I understand ... but ... I'd still be open to trading them. I am going to move both Bledsoe and Knight.

Trades
All of these are draft-day.

Trade 1:
Phoenix trades: Eric Bledsoe, Jared Dudley
Denver trades: #13, Darrell Arthur, Jameer Nelson, Malik Beasley
The Suns get a lottery pick, a potential backup 2 guard and some decentish veterans to help mentor young players. Denver makes a move to be solidly in the playoffs, and is still built to be able to bring Mudiay along slowly.

Trade 2:
Phoenix trades: Brandon Knight, Tyson Chandler, #32
Phoenix receives: Meyers Leonard, Festus Ezeli, #19
The Suns just cut salary, tons and tons of salary. They can eat Leonard's contract without too much trouble. Ezeli is ung, I don't think that the difference between what they send and receive is a free first round pick, but moving up seems about right.

Portland trades: Meyers Leonard, Allen Crabbe, Festus Ezeli, Ed Davis, #19
Portland receives: Brandon Knight, Trevor Booker, Tyson Chandler, #32
Portland partially moves on from a summer of massive mistakes. All of these players are very good backups, I like the way Knight fits into their backcourt rotation (Blazers fans were tepid on the fit, so I could just be totally wrong here). Chandler is fine, Booker is an excellent backup that would fit in an uptempo system.

Brooklyn trades: Trevor Booker
Brooklyn receives: Allen Crabbe, Ed Davis
Brooklyn trades an expiring Booker for an expiring Davis and Crabbe - who they signed to the offer sheet originally. I think he fits in well with their core.

Draft
Sticking with the current order, all of these players available at their spot per draftexpress:
2: Lonzo Ball
13: Justin Jackson
19: Semi Ojeleye
54: Nigel Hayes

Free agents
Cut Barbosa, Ezeli. Let Ronnie Price walk, wouldn't be surprised if Watson wants him as an assistant. I'm assuming Len gets little interest, so match what he gets offered. For argument's sake, I'm saying he'd prefer a shorter deal to the contracts he will be offered, so 3/$30 with a player option on the last year.

Depth chart
Dragen Bender/Alex Len/Meyers Leonard
Marquese Chriss/Darrell Arthur/Nigel Hayes
TJ Warren/Justin Jackson/Semi Ojeleye
Devin Booker/Malik Beasley/Elijah Millsap
Lonzo Ball/Tyler Ulis/Jameer Nelson

Hopefully, I've not made any glaring omissions, or if I have that I have presented some worthwhile ideas. This certainly makes the Suns worse in the short-term, but I think moving the vets for picks/etc. is important regardless of whether or not they pick 2nd.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions