Offseason the Sixers: Post your version here

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,551

Offseason the Sixers: Post your version here 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Alright, it is that time. Lets start seeing how we all can do offseasoning a given team before it starts.
Previous teams:
Nets
Suns
Lakers

Smitty's Sixers preview: Not up yet!

Team basics:
Draft: #3, #36, #39, #46, #50

Depth Chart (from bbinsiders with Poythree):
PG: T.J. McConnell (nongtd), Sergio Rodriquez (UFA), Jerry Bayless (injured)
SG: Nik Stauskas, Gerald Henderson (nongtd)
SF: Robert Covington (nongtd), Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Alex Poythress (RFA)
PF: Dario Saric, Shawn Long (nongtd), Ben Simmons (injured)
C: Richaun Holmes (nongtd), Tiago Splitter (UFA) Jahlil Okafor (injured), Joel Embiid (injured)

Cap space: ~50m if letting Henderson go and not getting the Lakers pick.

So, some open questions:
1) Draft board for pick #3
2) Under what circumstances would you trade the #3 pick?
3) Under what circumstances do you tarde the lakers 2018 unprotected 1st, teh Kings 2019 unprotected 1st, or a Philly 1st to enter this draft (or move up)?
4) 2nd round targets given 4 picks in the #36-50 range.
5) Should Henderson be brought back (9m salary, either fully nongtd or 1m gtd depending where you look)?
6) Extension for Embiid?
7) Extension for Covington? (He is eligible for a non rookie extension at some point)
8) What free agents would you target?
9) An Okafor trade?
10) Any other trades?

If you were hired on Skype by your father to GM Philly, what would be your plan for this offseason?
Jojothewhale
Junior
And1: 164

Re: Offseason the Sixers: Post your version here 

Post#2 » by Jojothewhale » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm

First and foremost, my plan is based around Ben Simmons guarding 4s. The rebounding is sorely needed and I want him starting my transition game from the glass. The last thing I want to do is pull him out to the perimeter on a consistent basis by design.

My first real move is a Covington extension. It's going to cost me, but he's worked his way into being a core piece and unlike Embiid, he's headed for UFA status.

Lottery
I'm not concerned with whether I have one or two picks. I'm going BPA. My draft board is roughly:

• Fultz
  • Jackson, Ball, Tatum
  • Ntilikina, Monk

While I regard the draft as quite strong, I do believe the potential star power of 2 or 3 and beyond is a little overrated. As such, if whoever wins the lottery is interested in moving down, both of my picks (if I have them) are the basis of my offer for Fultz. The pluses will be the negotiating points, but I'm ready and willing to add a real piece or two. I'm not willing to pay the justified prices for George/Butler.

On another team's board, I would probably have Ball lower than I do here as Colangelo. I don't see him as a primary initiator at this level, but rather an excellent fit as the secondary who has the instincts to get into open space and let Simmons find him. I also (health allowing) have an elite rim protector to help cover the defensive weaknesses.

Ntilikina is another I see as moving up a bit here due to his weaknesses being covered well by my existing core. I also don't see him as a primary initiator until/unless he builds up his lower body strength. Monk is a better shooter, but Ntilikina has shown flashes and is on an entirely different planet on the defensive end.

Second Round and UDFA
I'm going to assume I end up with 37, 39, 46, and 50 for the sake of simplicity.

In the late 20s, I start offering up 37, 39, and a future 2nd from my trove to get back into the first for Jawun Evans. I'm using the Tyus Jones deal here as the basis for my valuation, as it's the closest to what I want to accomplish that comes to mind.

Assuming I can't, I'm targeting some combination of Jonathan Motley, Josh Hart, Devin Robinson, and Jonathan Jeanne with 37/39. Some mocks have PJ Dozier as low as 40, but I don't see how that's possible after the tournament run. If you somehow think this could be the case, throw him in here as well.

I'm using 47 and 50 to stash Kostja Mushidi and Tadas Sedekerskis, respectively. My first calls after the draft are to Frank Mason and Jeremy Morgan from UNI.

NBA Moves
Give me positive value for Okafor and he's yours. I'm willing to eat someone in the deal, but not as poor of a contract as Asik.

Henderson would be gone. I'm likely to sit out the significant UFA market entirely unless someone like Justin Holiday is available reasonably.
HartfordWhalers

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm

No one else is biting on a vision for a team with up to 50m in cap space, possibly 2 top 6 picks, 4 2nd rounders, and some trades that probably need to happen?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#4 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:No one else is biting on a vision for a team with up to 50m in cap space, possibly 2 top 6 picks, 4 2nd rounders, and some trades that probably need to happen?

It feels too convoluted to even try until the draft positions are settled. Too much of what you would do in trades and free agency is dependant on where those picks land.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#5 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:42 am

I think Ball is a better fit than Fultz for the Sixers. Fultz is a great scorer but if they want a ball handler so badly, Ball is that guy. Anything to save Simmons from the sixers stupidity.

If they get #4 (i cri everytiem) or lower. Then go with Tatum, Tatum at S.F along with Ball at P.G would be ideal for the sixers i'd imagine.

in terms of trades.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#6 » by the_process » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:51 am

Spens1 wrote:I think Ball is a better fit than Fultz for the Sixers. Fultz is a great scorer but if they want a ball handler so badly, Ball is that guy. Anything to save Simmons from the sixers stupidity.

If they get #4 (i cri everytiem) or lower. Then go with Tatum, Tatum at S.F along with Ball at P.G would be ideal for the sixers i'd imagine.

in terms of trades.

Simmons is best with the ball in his hands. Fultz can function better off the ball as a scorer and as a secondary ballhandler.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#7 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 am

the_process wrote:
Spens1 wrote:I think Ball is a better fit than Fultz for the Sixers. Fultz is a great scorer but if they want a ball handler so badly, Ball is that guy. Anything to save Simmons from the sixers stupidity.

in terms of trades.

Simmons is best with the ball in his hands. Fultz can function better off the ball as a scorer and as a secondary ballhandler.

i know but don't run him as an actual P.G, at least have him as a point forward or something like Lebron or Giannis.

Seems like such a waste of his size.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#8 » by the_process » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 am

Spens1 wrote:
the_process wrote:

in terms of trades.

i know but don't run him as an actual P.G, at least have him as a point forward or something like Lebron or Giannis.

I feel confident in saying that after the Sixers experiment for awhile, Simmons will end up being used exactly like how Giannis is.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#9 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 am

the_process wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
the_process wrote:

I feel confident in saying that after the Sixers experiment for awhile, Simmons will end up being used exactly like how Giannis is.

that would be the goal
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#10 » by RaptorsLife » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:56 am

Drafting a PG is the way to go for them. Bayless will help
Raptors til death
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#11 » by Kings2013 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:15 am

If they get the Lakers pick I'd package their own to get Fultz if possible
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#12 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 am

Kings2013 wrote:If they get the Lakers pick I'd package their own to get Fultz if possible

Whats the highest you'd let the picks be to do that though? Say Philly gets 2+4? Or 3+4? Etc.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#13 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 am

Indifferent over whether or not the Lakers pick gets conveyed to them - they would get their unprotected pick in 2018. And have a valuable Sacramento pick coming. Look to fill out the back-court with NBA-level talent. Pray Embiid stays healthy.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#14 » by mtron929 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:06 pm

The Sixers and the Celtics are my favorite teams to discuss about. I think the Sixers have a high risk win all strategy that they can try to opt. That is, the premise of this risky strategy is that you agree on the following assumptions: (a) Embiid is so good right now that he doesn't need to develop much to be a top 5-10 player (b) Embiid will have a short career due to injuries. So then, the high risk strategy is to push the chips all in with the following.

1) Sign Lowry to a max deal
2) Trade their own 2017 pick and 2017 Lakers pick (or 2018 Lakers pick if it gets delayed) and Okafor to Chicago for Jimmy Butler
3) Sign Covington

So then, here is your core.

PG: Lowry
SG: Butler
SF: Covington
PF: Simmons/Saric
C: Embiid

With this, you just bank on winning the championship in the next 3-4 years. I wouldn't have the guts to do this kind of a move but it should be on the table for consideration.
Renegade_H
Senior
And1: 302

Post#15 » by Renegade_H » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:58 pm

C: Richaun Holmes (nongtd), Tiago Splitter (UFA) Jahlil Okafor (injured), Joel Embiid (injured)

So, some open questions:
1) Draft board 1-6 if only getting one pick?

Fultz, Jackson, Monk, Ntkilina, Isaac

2) Draft board 1-6 if getting 2 top 6 picks, withone being 4-6 from the Lakers

We got for Fultz/Monk with Isaac/Jackson/Tatum combo

3) Under what circumstances would you trade one or both top picks?

If picks are 4-6... Id trade it for 1. Id also trade 1 pick for a sign and trade on broken down deals with KCP/Porter/Hayward. I do desperately want Avery Bradley as well.

Justin Jackson. Josh Hart. Bam Adebayo. or International Centers to stash.

5) Should Henderson be brought back (9m salary, either fully nongtd or 1m gtd depending where you look)?

No

6) Extension for Embiid?

Not yet. We still have his rights. We need him to produce next season. Id only be willing to extend if it was a deal that was not the max. A 4 year deal would mean his last year of the deal is Ben Simmons first year on his massive extension.

7) Extension for Covington? (He is eligible for a non rookie extension at some point)

I would extend Covington right now. I'd offer around 18M over 4.

KCP/Porter/Hayward/Lowry/Reddick/Korver
9) An Okafor trade?

A bag of chips

10) Any other trades?

Depends if we get LALs pick. I would target Butler and stay clear of PG. He wants LA. Id test the waters on Porzingis. Id offer Saric, LAL pick and maybe Sixers 2018 1st rounder. Knicks needs assets. We have them.

My team with Sixers getting 3rd and 4th picks assuming Ball and Fultz go 1/2:

PG - Simmons/Bayless/TJ
SG - Monk/Stauskas/Anderson
SF - Jackson/TLC/Poythress
PF - Saric/Covington/Long
C- Embiid/Holmes
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#16 » by jbent87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm

mtron929 wrote:The Sixers and the Celtics are my favorite teams to discuss about. I think the Sixers have a high risk win all strategy that they can try to opt. That is, the premise of this risky strategy is that you agree on the following assumptions: (a) Embiid is so good right now that he doesn't need to develop much to be a top 5-10 player (b) Embiid will have a short career due to injuries. So then, the high risk strategy is to push the chips all in with the following.

2) Trade their own 2017 pick and 2017 Lakers pick (or 2018 Lakers pick if it gets delayed) and Okafor to Chicago for Jimmy Butler
3) Sign Covington

With this, you just bank on winning the championship in the next 3-4 years. I wouldn't have the guts to do this kind of a move but it should be on the table for consideration.

this is another reason why the loss of Hinkie hurts, IMO. There is a universe where the Sixers get competitive "quick" (as soon as Simmons, Embiid play together). But not a lot of GMs have the balls to risk it/brains to pull it off. Hinkie had both of those things. But now we gotta hand all this cap space/assets over to BC and see what he comes up with.
HartfordWhalers

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm

jbent87 wrote:
mtron929 wrote:The Sixers and the Celtics are my favorite teams to discuss about. I think the Sixers have a high risk win all strategy that they can try to opt. That is, the premise of this risky strategy is that you agree on the following assumptions: (a) Embiid is so good right now that he doesn't need to develop much to be a top 5-10 player (b) Embiid will have a short career due to injuries. So then, the high risk strategy is to push the chips all in with the following.

3) Sign Covington

this is another reason why the loss of Hinkie hurts, IMO. There is a universe where the Sixers get competitive "quick" (as soon as Simmons, Embiid play together). But not a lot of GMs have the balls to risk it/brains to pull it off. Hinkie had both of those things. But now we gotta hand all this cap space/assets over to BC and see what he comes up with.

Time for 15m a year, 2 year deal to Patrick Patterson!
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#18 » by Lovetron Joe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm

3) Sign Covington

I like all of this. Adding depth:

PG: Lowry Bayless, TJ or 2nd rounder- Monte Morris
SG: Butler TLC, Sauce, Anderson, Furkan Korkmaz or 2nd rounder Josh Hart
SF: Covington (Simmons,Anderson,TLC and Hart)
PF: Simmons/Saric 2nd Jordan Bell or Cam Oliver
C: Embiid Holmes, Long or 2nd Thomas Bryant, or Moses Kingley- be nice to have another Moses
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#19 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Trade their 2017 1st for CJ McCollum
HartfordWhalers

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

So, some open questions:
1) Draft board 1-6 if only getting one pick?
2) Draft board 1-6 if getting 2 top 6 picks, withone being 4-6 from the Lakers
3) Under what circumstances would you trade one or both top picks?
6) Extension for Embiid?
9) An Okafor trade?
10) Any other trades?

If you were hired on Skype by your father to GM Philly, what would be your plan for this offseason?

Caveat: Keep in mind, I haven't seriously in any way scouted guys yet so this is as expert as an nbadraft.net player comparison.

Draft board:
1) Fultz, Ball (?), and then you really have a hard choice between the sf's or a trade down for a guy like Monk or one of Smith/Fox/etc. I'm not ready to pick to pass over a BPA ever, but if a trade down would work then I would consider not going BPA unless the player has real star chance (Jackson supposedly?)

2) With 2 picks you can get a guard and a sf or 2 guards. I wouldn't get 2 guards that cannot play next to each other (Smith and Fox?), but otherwise BPA all the way. It helps that no pf/c's are in dx's top 6.

3) None. Sorry, but Philly has too many question marks and too much youth still to push in for Butler or George. Not at their real cost. And no, CJ McCollum doesn't do it for me. Use the picks and keep the cap space for improvement as well.

4) For the local story alone you take Josh Hart if you can. Otherwise I'm always a sucker for high upside likely failures. And draft and stashes that take no roster spots. Jonathan Jeanne types fit both maybe?

But positionally the team should be looking at sg/sf prospect types to fight with Stauskas/Anderson/TLC in that mesh (while Covington is obviously a tier up) and a backup pf and maybe a backup center depending upon trades.
Jonah Bolden is Australian and a stretch pf with range? Welp, that could be a thing. If not, Cameron Oliver perhaps.

So, in an ideal world, Hart, Jeanne, Oliver, and one is sold for cash because even ideal worlds aren't ideal.

5) Heck no. Henderson sucks.

6) Of course not. It uses up cap space and adds team risk unnecessarily. But you also make sure that he knows that you will back up a giant truck of money in a year. Like happened with Drummond. And Derozan. And Kawhi. And...

7) The injury complicates it but yes. You try and do something where it is a 1 year boost renegotiation and extension. He is very good.

8) I'm not sure you do. I'm fine with a big Jrue offer. Go for it! Besides that can I say Noel. Does that not count? Ugh.

I joked about a big offer for Patrick Patterson in some thread somewhere, but the idea of him minus the contract he gets is okay. Mirotic would be fun. I've always liked Mirotic. So, offer big money to Jrue, medium money to Mirotic, and watch neither sign in Philly.

9) Yes please.

10) Sure. I would consider some trade that was Bayless + OKC pick for younger player. Think Knight or Crabbe but it all depends upon me deciding that 2018 free agency will be a bust as well, or close enough. I would trade Anderson for a S&T Noel. Would even include 2 2nds.

I want to keep the youth that is worth keeping. So who wants Stauskas?

Altogether it is not much of a plan yet, but come after the draft lottery I will add more and see if I cannot find something better.

Return to Trades and Transactions