2017 Brooklyn for Porzingis

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who benefits more?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Celtics
77%
Knicks
23%

Total votes: 75

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Re: 2017 Brooklyn for Porzingis 

Post#41 » by the_process » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 am

Djh7475 wrote:We would have to have a near guarantee from Hayward for me to be willing to give up what I think it would take to get Porzingis on draft night, but assuming that were the case, I would try to do a 3 teamer where Avery Bradley was sent out like:

Celtics out: Demetrius Jackson, Avery Bradley, 2017 and 2018 Nets 1st rounder
Celtics in: Kristaps Porzingis, Robert Covington, 2019 1st rounder from Philadelphia (we receive the worse of their 2 picks from them or the Kings)

Knicks out: Porzingis
Knicks in: Demetrius Jackson, 2017 and 2018 Nets 1sts

76ers out: Covington and the lesser of their 2 2019 1st rounders
76ers in: Avery Bradley

The Celtics do this because it helps them get far enough under the cap to acquire Hayward. They also pick up Covington to at least replace some of the defense we lose by giving up AB without cutting into a max cap slot. Hayward and Porzingis will obviously replace (and exceed) the offense lost by giving up AB, and we can finally address 2 of our biggest needs (a secondary playmaker and scorer, a rim protector, and sheer size and athleticism in the paint). Ainge hasn't made a big splash yet because he wants to build a legitimate contender that could sustain that status for a long time. Porzingis give us a guy that helps a ton right away (Amir attracts ZERO defensive attention) who will remain on the roster for the long term while Hayward is a perfect fit who still has 5+ of his best years ahead of him.

The 2019 pick is just another asset to add to the pile. With a roster of IT/Rozier, Hayward/Smart, Crowder/Jaylen/Covington, Horford/Olynyk/Yabuselle, and Porzingis/Zizic, we probably don't want a 2018 1st rounder. Since we are trying to preserve cap space and the 76ers are the most logical landing spot for AB, a future pick on top of Covington makes sense. I chose to put the worse of their pick or Sacramento's because I could see a situation where both teams improve a lot or are still near the bottom in a few years. This gives the Celtics some upside but doesn't make it too much to make the 76ers pass.

With our own 2019 1st, the Clippers 2019 1st, the Grizzlies 2019 1st, and the lesser of the Kings and 76ers 2019 1sts, we'd have a ton of ammunition to do in-season trades that could help push us over the top. Since guys like Rozier, Jaylen, Covington, Zizic, and Yabuselle haven't proven yet that they are locks to snag 20+ MPG for a legitimate contender, having that much ammunition at the deadline to acquire a missing piece or 2 could be the deciding factor to whether or not the Celtics could challenge the Warriors in 2018 and 2019.

The Knicks do this because they land 2 premiere draft picks in return for an unhappy Porzingis. This package would give them 2 high draft picks this year as well as 2 high draft picks next year. Giving up both Nets picks for a youngster like Porzingis rather than Jimmy or PG may be unpopular now, but Ainge's goal of building a sustainable contender along with the goal of landing Hayward in FA (which this deal would help) makes this a great fit. Porzingis fills a position of need and would be an enormous upgrade over Amir on both ends. It also allows us to possibly avoid the tax next year (relative to signing a big FA and trading for Jimmy/PG) which could be a big deal since the goal is long term sustainability. This deal allows the Knicks to build a 4 high draft pick core that won't need their post-rookie contract until Noah and Melo are gone.

The 76ers do it because AB is an incredible fit on their roster and they don't have to give up any draft picks this year or any of their most valuable assets. I know 76ers fans like Covington, but AB is such a massive offensive upgrade that I can't imagine they wouldn't love to have them. I'd imagine that most 76ers fans would be hesitant to give up the Kings pick straight up in 2019, but since the Celtics would receive the lesser of their pick or the Kings, they have a lot more control and protection over where that pick shakes out.

Sixers are out on that. Also, the Sixers are another team that should be willing to outbid the OP.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#42 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Okafor and 76ers and Lakers lottery picks (17 or 18) for Porzingiz is a better deal.

Why ? Knicks get 21 year old low post prospect along with two potential top 5 picks in 2017 /18 draft .
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#43 » by A BETTER DJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 pm

A KP in the hand is better than 2 lotto picks in the bush. There has to be a starter coming back along with pick(s). I wish the Magic could have had the chance to pick him instead of Mario.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#44 » by rugbyrugger23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 pm

What about Porzingis for Embiid?

Yes, Zinger has more value compared to inured Embiid, so Knicks say take on Lee contract. Philly says ok. Knicks say, add a 1st...

What gets added by Philly?

Knicks let Embiid come back slow with Noah and Gomez. With #7 draft what should be a guard. Phil also gets more cap space to build team around departed Melo (assets received?), recovering Embiid, and #7 overall.

Philly builds around this lineup:
Okafor | Porzingis |Holmes
Porzingis | Saric | Holmes
Saric | Covington | Anderson
#4 | TLC | Lee
Simmons | #4 | Bayless
RR9
Starter
And1: 157

Post#45 » by RR9 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I also think it takes both. Porzingas is a guaranteed star as long as he's healthy.

healthy is a bit of an asterix here. has he been sitting due to tanking or due to actual health issues this year? it seemed frequent.
RR9
Starter
And1: 157

Post#46 » by RR9 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

SARGO127 wrote:I would deal KP for Jaylen Brown + Nets 2017 1st (If it's top 3) + another pick

I would also deal KP for that, but not if I were Boston. Jaylen for KP straight up is something I'd be hesitant. I acknowledge there's clearly a home bias for cornerstone players.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#47 » by sfballa13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 am

OrlandoDream wrote:Cs and the rest of the NBA can stop their dreams bc there is no way in hell Knicks will trade KP. He is probably their only bright spot this season and dude is destined for stardom. Like everything else, media overhypes and spreads controversy and false narratives. I agree that PJ comments were unprofessional and unnecessary but that alone won't drive KP out. He is still on the rookie scale contract and NYK can match any offer for him after that.

All you need to ask yourself is, If you had KP on your team, would you really trade him? That should about end this rumor.

KP is not untouchable sorry

If Ainge picked up the phone and offered a few rotation players and two Brooklyn picks while taking back Noah, Phil would personally drive Porzingis to Boston with Dolan sitting shotgun.

The Knicks are screwed as they are paying Noah 20M for the next three years. That is the center that Porzingis has to be playing next to for the next three seasons. You think he is down for that garbage? You think after three years he is going to look back fondly at the years of his potential that were blown on stupid **** like Melo and Noah? Sorry doesnt work like that

Jaylen Brown and both Brooklyn picks with Noah coming back and both sides pull that deal

(IT/Bradley/Crowder/Porzingis/Horford) --> that looks pretty damn good and way better than what they have right now
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#48 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

sfballa13 wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Cs and the rest of the NBA can stop their dreams bc there is no way in hell Knicks will trade KP. He is probably their only bright spot this season and dude is destined for stardom. Like everything else, media overhypes and spreads controversy and false narratives. I agree that PJ comments were unprofessional and unnecessary but that alone won't drive KP out. He is still on the rookie scale contract and NYK can match any offer for him after that.

All you need to ask yourself is, If you had KP on your team, would you really trade him? That should about end this rumor.

KP is not untouchable sorry

If Ainge picked up the phone and offered a few rotation players and two Brooklyn picks while taking back Noah, Phil would personally drive Porzingis to Boston with Dolan sitting shotgun.

The Knicks are screwed as they are paying Noah 20M for the next three years. That is the center that Porzingis has to be playing next to for the next three seasons. You think he is down for that garbage? You think after three years he is going to look back fondly at the years of his potential that were blown on stupid **** like Melo and Noah? Sorry doesnt work like that

Jaylen Brown and both Brooklyn picks with Noah coming back and both sides pull that deal

(IT/Bradley/Crowder/Porzingis/Horford) --> that looks pretty damn good and way better than what they have right now

Go post that in the Knicks board and see how many fans will trade Porz. Porz is better then any pick coming out this year and next. Ainge can dream all he wants about adding Porz but again there is no way in hell Knicks trade him. Phil will trade every Knicks before considering Porz. You just can't get equal value for him.

I have not heard anything that points NYK is even willing to consider trading him. This is just wishful thinking.

Return to Trades and Transactions