Seth curry to spurs for 29

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Seth curry to spurs for 29 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Sun May 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Dallas sends curry to the spurs for 29. Mavs add a pick, spurs add a younger better replacement for patty mills as he might command an overpriced deal this summer
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Re: Seth curry to spurs for 29 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 21, 2017 4:37 pm

this is the right idea for a seth trade.

spurs and mavs aren't the most likely trading partners of course. and Im guessing our Spurs fans will tout their drafting acumen and say they don't want to trade the pick for Curry with one cheap year left on his deal.

I think the value and thinking is there for the Spurs but I don't blame them for wanting to take a shot at another kid instead.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Really interesting. I think the Spurs could jump on it, especially if they think Mills is leaving. Even if you love Murray, you can play Curry with him and be just fine.

I like it a lot for Dallas too, especially if they aren't pushing to make the playoffs next year.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#4 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Lakers offer 28 for Seth
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Re: RE: Re: Seth curry to spurs for 29 

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Lakers offer 28 for Seth

I don't think the Lakers would do that.

Curry would likely be a true expiring for them, as if he is all they have to show for 2018 FA... They have failed. At least teams over the cap can hope to keep him with the MLE, LA wouldn't even have that to offer.

Bad teams potentially under the cap, with no FA plans for next year could be very interested in him.. like Dallas Philly... In 12 months, most Dallas fans should agree that trading Wes and overpaying Curry is a better place to be long term. (I will at least) ..

Just don't think it makes sense for LA. Even if I think it is good value for them.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#6 » by Pinkyring » Mon May 22, 2017 12:16 am

jayjaysee wrote:

Curry would likely be a true expiring for them, as if he is all they have to show for 2018 FA... They have failed. At least teams over the cap can hope to keep him with the MLE, LA wouldn't even have that to offer.

Bad teams potentially under the cap, with no FA plans for next year could be very interested in him.. like Dallas Philly... In 12 months, most Dallas fans should agree that trading Wes and overpaying Curry is a better place to be long term. (I will at least) ..

Just don't think it makes sense for LA. Even if I think it is good value for them.

Yea unless they plan to open it up and gives us russell to dump moz this doesnt make sense for them as they'd need money for george next summer. Now if they want to offload clarkson I'd take him
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am

jayjaysee wrote:
In 12 months, most Dallas fans should agree that trading Wes and overpaying Curry is a better place to be long term. (I will at least) ..

Oh I agree, but I'd rather choose trade Curry now and Wes next summer(or this if doable). I think that's the best way to capture the most value from those players. Tho there is a non-zero amount of value of keeping Seth and seeing if can maintain that efficiency while being a primary option for a whole year and then seeing if you could keep him. I mean we do have the selling point of small guards playing for Rick Carlisle tend to max out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pinkyring » Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

As for trading wes and overpaying curry it really depends on two factors, who we draft, because if its nkilina curry could start with him he could also start with holiday if he leaves new orleans to come here, but also it depends on what you call overpay, 13-15 maybe, anything beyond that id pass
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#9 » by Mykhyn » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 am

Problems I see

1. It usually takes more than a year for a player to learn the system. He'd be out the door by that time.

2. We already got our Mills replacement last year in Forbes. Thats the only reason he's on the roster. Just like Patty was Neal's replacement when we realized Neal was gonna get paid and Neal before George Hill got paid.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#10 » by bigmean » Tue May 23, 2017 12:54 am

Davis bertans and #29 for seth curry makes sense to me
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 am

bigmean wrote:Davis bertans and #29 for seth curry makes sense to me

overpay by the Spurs. Bertrans has a little something.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#12 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Stop trying to trade the Mavs 2nd best player last year for absolute trash ....The Mavs are not trading Curry just because he may or may not get a huge contract . For them even to consider it would need to be the 15th pick or better

Curry as a Starter 42 games 31.6 MPG / 3rd in Minutes Per Game / 13th among all Shooting Guards
2nd in Scoring to Barnes / 14th among all qualified Shooting Guards
1st in Steals / 5th among all qualified Shooting Guards
4th in FG% behind C Mejri , C Noel , PF Powell / 3rd among all qualified Shooting Guards
1st in 3P% / 3rd among all qualified Shooting Guards / 6th among all qualified players

Mavs are looking for good players ...They are not looking for players they turn into good players then dump for a late 1st round pick that probably won't have anywhere near the talent Curry has . I know I have no faith that the Mavs will draft a better player than Curry with the 28-30 picks ...

I also don't get the all these teams will be willing to give all these assets so they can pay Curry , but Dallas in need of talent has no use for a player that all these other teams want so bad and are willing to pay him so much
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#13 » by nolang1 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:13 pm

If Curry plays like he did down the stretch this season, the Mavs could probably trade him at the deadline for a slightly higher first-round pick. Imagine if a team like the Bucks is headed towards 50 wins and wants to add some shooting.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#14 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 23, 2017 5:15 pm

nolang1 wrote:If Curry plays like he did down the stretch this season, the Mavs could probably trade him at the deadline for a slightly higher first-round pick. Imagine if a team like the Bucks is headed towards 50 wins and wants to add some shooting.

Imagine if Curry plays as good or gets even better and the Mavs just keep their REALLY good player....

And if the Bucks are headed towards 50 wins and trade for Curry who helps their team then how is pick that much higher ? So what instead of the 29th pick they get the 26th pick ....The Mavs pass on this crap
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#15 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 23, 2017 5:20 pm

If Curry has a great season where teams are lining up to pay him then Dallas should be the one to pay him . If they decide later they want to trade then thats fine because now you can trade him to 29 other teams instead of the 5-6 teams that have money to sign him in 2018

Mavs fans crack me up they are willing to pay a busted up 29 year old Matthews $18 Million but and insist the Mavs can't trade Matthews because of his veteran leadership . But refuse to pay what would be a 28 year old Curry who is a much much better player and is healthy the same amount of money
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#16 » by Chinook » Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Nah. The Spurs aren't in a place to trade picks for rentals.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#17 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm

I just don't see Dallas trading Curry

1-No team is going to give a late lottery to mid 1st for a player they have no leg up on re-signing

2-Why would Dallas trade a player that is already a good player for a late 1st who may or may not even be in the league in a few years

Yes there is no guarantee that Curry even re-signs with Dallas , but you have to think that he looks pretty happy with the team that gave him his legitimate shot succeed that allowed him to play into a more lucrative contract . Does he really want to leave Dallas to go play in Brooklyn ?
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by nolang1 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:If Curry has a great season where teams are lining up to pay him then Dallas should be the one to pay him . If they decide later they want to trade then thats fine because now you can trade him to 29 other teams instead of the 5-6 teams that have money to sign him in 2018

When you outbid 29 other teams in free agency to sign a player, you end up paying that player enough that other teams aren't as interesting in trading for him any longer.

A team with 50 wins this season would be drafting at #22. Houston just gave up #28 to get Lou Williams, who has an additional year on his deal, so a pick earlier than that for Curry on an expiring would be a very good return.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran

Post#19 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

nolang1 wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:If Curry has a great season where teams are lining up to pay him then Dallas should be the one to pay him . If they decide later they want to trade then thats fine because now you can trade him to 29 other teams instead of the 5-6 teams that have money to sign him in 2018

When you outbid 29 other teams in free agency to sign a player, you end up paying that player enough that other teams aren't as interesting in trading for him any longer.

A team with 50 wins this season would be drafting at #22. Houston just gave up #28 this season to get Lou Williams, who has an additional year on his deal, so a pick earlier than that for Curry on an expiring would be a very good return.

Theres no guarantee he goes to the highest bidder he may take slightly less to go to a team he prefers . Also it won't be outbidding 29 other team since there are only about 5-6 teams that have 2018 cap space to sign Curry more than $15 Million .. So say yo outbid the other 5 teams for Curry that leaves another 14 teams that didn't have the cap space to even make a offer but may be willing to trade

As for where the pick falls i'm going by you saying the Bucks are on pace for 50 wins at the TDL then trade for Curry who surely wins them a few more games the 27th pick had 53 wins with 4 teams tied with 51 wins the 23rd-26th picks
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 pm

HotrodBeaubois wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

A team with 50 wins this season would be drafting at #22. Houston just gave up #28 this season to get Lou Williams, who has an additional year on his deal, so a pick earlier than that for Curry on an expiring would be a very good return.

Theres no guarantee he goes to the highest bidder he may take slightly less to go to a team he prefers . Also it won't be outbidding 29 other team since there are only about 5-6 teams that have 2018 cap space to sign Curry more than $15 Million .. So say yo outbid the other 5 teams for Curry that leaves another 14 teams that didn't have the cap space to even make a offer but may be willing to trade

As for where the pick falls i'm going by you saying the Bucks are on pace for 50 wins at the TDL then trade for Curry who surely wins them a few more games the 27th pick had 53 wins with 4 teams tied with 51 wins the 23rd-26th picks

OK so you think Curry is a budding star rather than a solid rotation guard and Dallas will be so good next season that he'll sign with them for a discount. Good luck with all that. The whole point of my original post was that they could just wait until the trade deadline and likely get a higher pick than #29 next year if they really wanted to trade him. Of course if they draft someone like Smith or Ntilikina it's not going to be terribly important to keep Curry long-term.

Return to Trades and Transactions