What type of assets could John Wall generate in a trade?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Re: What type of assets could John Wall generate in a trade? 

Post#81 » by NYG » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 pm

How do Wizards fans feel about Drummond/Jackson?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,194

Post#82 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

shrink wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
shrink wrote:Read your CLE part again. You skipped over "rebuild assets," "getting out of Hill's $20 mil contract," and probably a lot of lux savings. It was clearly not just "Love for cap space."

Hill's contract is going to be a big asset on draft day in 2019. Cavs will gladly hold onto him.

You’ll hold onto $20 mil of unperforming salary for a year, plus the lux taxes, for the opportunity to get an asset by taking on a bad contract with more extra salary, and lux taxes, for 2020 and further seasons?

An expiring or unguaranteed contract is just a mechanism to sell cap space, and doesn’t have any inherent value itself. I would question that CLE will be a cap space seller next year, especially with it’s potential lux issues.

If LBJ leaves, the Cavs will have no luxury tax issues and when Hill's healthy, he performs just fine.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#83 » by DowJones » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 pm

shrink wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
shrink wrote:I'm on vacation and typing on my phone, so this isn't fleshed out, but my hypothetical might be:

PHX GETS: Wall and Smith
PHX GIVES: Rebuild package (Tyson Chandler (exp), cap space, and/or Chriss or a pick?)

CLE GETS: Rebuild packge + Cole Aldrich (cap space)
CLE GIVES: Love and George Hill

MIN GETS: Love and George Hill
MIN GIVES: Teague, Dieng, Aldrich

WAS GETS: Teague and Dieng
WAS GIVES: Wall and Smith

PHX locks up a star to play next to Booker
CLE cuts a lot of salary and gets rebuild assets if LeBron leaves
MIN retools, and hopes HIll finds his game
WAS stays competive for in a more cost-effective way, Dieng eventually replaces aging Gortat

The real question is how can Minny give away overpaid garbage and get back an All-Star. We're not giving up Love for cap space.

Read your CLE part again. You skipped over "rebuild assets," "getting out of Hill's $20 mil contract," and probably a lot of lux savings. It was clearly not just "Love for cap space."

Well what are "rebuilding assets"? That is a huge thing to just gloss over.

I also imagine Minnesota gives up a future first at the least. I have no idea how they get Love and George while simultaneously dumping 3 players with no value on their current contracts. I would even argue that all 3 have negative value...yet they somehow get Kevin Love and an expiring George Hill?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,762

Post#84 » by shrink » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm

DowJones wrote:
shrink wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
The real question is how can Minny give away overpaid garbage and get back an All-Star. We're not giving up Love for cap space.

Read your CLE part again. You skipped over "rebuild assets," "getting out of Hill's $20 mil contract," and probably a lot of lux savings. It was clearly not just "Love for cap space."

Read the PHX part (one line above CLE) for some idea.

As for the MIN part, I also wrote that this has MIN absorbing salary (about $10 mil) from lux-issue WAS, and fixes their center problem. I also wrote that if those aren't issues, they could cut out MIN, if they prefer a better player Love, but no C, no PG, and willing to pay the lux.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#85 » by eitanr » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 pm

puppa bear wrote:
eitanr wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:Depends if SVG still has a job...

EXACTLY

Mahimi + Wall FOR Drummond + Jackson

I really want to see one of those classic disgruntled star swaps in need of scenery change type deals that were so common in the 90s/Early 00s.

Googs/CWebb, CWebb/Richmond, Kemp/Grant/Baker, Brandon/Cassell, Payton/Allen, Kukoc/Big Dog, S. Smith/I. Rider, Wallace/Strickland.... List is endless....Only GMs still stuck in that era will make it happen!

Miami is another of those targets & Riley loves his "whales". Though I wouldn't be happy with a Dragic/Whiteside for Wall/Mahinmi swap

Miami is definitly another. Washington's other move if they do retain Wall/Beal is maximizing Porter Jr in hopes of netting a deeper team. Orlando could make sense using OPJ, Gortat, Mahimi to net Vucdvic, Fournier, Biyambo
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#86 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:10 am

eitanr wrote:

EXACTLY

I really want to see one of those classic disgruntled star swaps in need of scenery change type deals that were so common in the 90s/Early 00s.

Googs/CWebb, CWebb/Richmond, Kemp/Grant/Baker, Brandon/Cassell, Payton/Allen, Kukoc/Big Dog, S. Smith/I. Rider, Wallace/Strickland.... List is endless....Only GMs still stuck in that era will make it happen!

You don't want to see them if you are a Wiz fan . . . Gugliotta and 3 1sts for Webber (one of which was Vince Carter) at least looked like something at the time, prime Webber for an aging Mitch Richmond in a contract year plus the useless contract of Otis Thorpe, young Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland and the bad contract of Harvey Grant, and (as long as we are at it) . . . Young Ben Wallace for journeyman Ike Austin (to complete the 3 hideous deals in 3 years tenure of Wes Unseld).

Those are the deals that Wizards fan wake up to in the middle of the night with cold sweats.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,850

Post#87 » by giberish » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 am

shrink wrote:
DowJones wrote:
shrink wrote:Read your CLE part again. You skipped over "rebuild assets," "getting out of Hill's $20 mil contract," and probably a lot of lux savings. It was clearly not just "Love for cap space."

Read the PHX part (one line above CLE) for some idea.

As for the MIN part, I also wrote that this has MIN absorbing salary (about $10 mil) from lux-issue WAS, and fixes their center problem. I also wrote that if those aren't issues, they could cut out MIN, if they prefer a better player Love, but no C, no PG, and willing to pay the lux.

Washington already has Gortat and Mahinmi at center. Washington's center problem is how much money they're spending for non-elite centers. Adding Dieng just makes their center problem worse. They'd also still be getting Hill back if Minny were cut out, so they'd still have Hill/Beal/Sato as a 3-guard rotation. The short-term luxury tax issues could be relavant but I expect they'd prefer to deal with them in some other way (perhaps just paying big luxury tax money for a year).
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#88 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Kemba?

I mean it kind of makes sense for both parties.

Washington clearly need a change and a walker-beal backcourt may do better than the current disaster right now. Its something at least.

Also if you're Charlotte, yes, you're locked into a supermax, however you aren't really a destination so you're not really convincing many F.A's to come in who are top tier, however, you can revive Wall with good coaching and with a focus on him. You have the pieces to make him look good also and have him be effective (With Jeremy Lamb being a solid 3&D player, Batum is a good 3&D guy at his best, Howard could benefit from Wall feeding him also).

Chuck in a 3 way swap with Gortat + something else to Miami, Whiteside to Charlotte and Howard to DC.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#89 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Other options i'd say include the Pistons (Reggie Bullock + Stanley Johnson? I'm not even sure what a package would be) or the Clippers (though i'd say they'd be almost certainly better conserving their cap space and maybe even taking a gamble on Isaiah Thomas for a year).
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#90 » by eitanr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 am

penbeast0 wrote:
eitanr wrote:

EXACTLY

You don't want to see them if you are a Wiz fan . . . Gugliotta and 3 1sts for Webber (one of which was Vince Carter) at least looked like something at the time, prime Webber for an aging Mitch Richmond in a contract year plus the useless contract of Otis Thorpe, young Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland and the bad contract of Harvey Grant, and (as long as we are at it) . . . Young Ben Wallace for journeyman Ike Austin (to complete the 3 hideous deals in 3 years tenure of Wes Unseld).

Those are the deals that Wizards fan wake up to in the middle of the night with cold sweats.

Wow..............

You forgot Caron Butler for Kwame Brown
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
penbeast0

Post#91 » by penbeast0 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:51 am

eitanr wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
eitanr wrote:
EXACTLY

Wow..............

That one didn't give Wizard fans nightmares. :D
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#92 » by Pattycakes » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:40 am

Isn't their 1-8 series tied right now?? What's the rush?
Spens1
RealGM

Post#93 » by Spens1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 am

eitanr wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
eitanr wrote:
EXACTLY

Wow..............

please don't remind me of that deal, probably the single worst deal ever done in our franchise history. Those where the real dark days.
penbeast0

Post#94 » by penbeast0 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am

Pattycakes wrote:Isn't their 1-8 series tied right now?? What's the rush?

I think it was 2-0 Toronto when he started it.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#95 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Spens1 wrote:Kemba?

Washington clearly need a change and a walker-beal backcourt may do better than the current disaster right now. Its something at least.

Also if you're Charlotte, yes, you're locked into a supermax, however you aren't really a destination so you're not really convincing many F.A's to come in who are top tier, however, you can revive Wall with good coaching and with a focus on him. You have the pieces to make him look good also and have him be effective (With Jeremy Lamb being a solid 3&D player, Batum is a good 3&D guy at his best, Howard could benefit from Wall feeding him also).

Chuck in a 3 way swap with Gortat + something else to Miami, Whiteside to Charlotte and Howard to DC.

Let me get this straight - you think Walker/Beal would be better than Wall/Beal?

Kemba is basically a smaller, less efficient version of Beal with worse defense - so how is that a good fit

Wall is superior player to Walker and is posting superstar playoffs #s for the second year in a row.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#96 » by Spens1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 am

Illmatic12 wrote:

Let me get this straight - you think Walker/Beal would be better than Wall/Beal?

Kemba is basically a smaller, less efficient version of Beal with worse defense - so how is that a good fit

Wall is superior player to Walker and is posting superstar playoffs #s for the second year in a row.

Simply cause of chemistry basically. Kemba isn't worse than Beal though. Kemba is a more offensive orientated guard (in that he'll look to score first and then pass) but i don't think it would harm Beal.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#97 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

Simply cause of chemistry basically. Kemba isn't worse than Beal though. Kemba is a more offensive orientated guard (in that he'll look to score first and then pass) but i don't think it would harm Beal.

Kemba has a pretty similar usage to Wall, except he passes even less and chucks up more shots. I can’t see how that would improve the chemistry with Beal to add someone who plays even worse heroball and doesn’t defend.

Plus Walker is about to be a free agent. So if he and Beal don’t fit well together then he leaves in FA, and we lost Wall for nothing.

Tbh just don’t see how that trade would make sense (for any of the parties involved)

Return to Trades and Transactions