Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1061 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
mademan wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:How many future* firsts are needed to turn Collins into Randle? I know the default answers are NY would only trade Randle to upgrade him and Utah would aim higher than Randle. Just checking in.

Far more than the Jazz would be willing to offer. Im not even sure where Randle fits for the Jazz either on the court or timeline wise

If you’re building around, or holding onto Lauri, then your window is now. Randle is only 2.5 years older than Lauri. I think you could play them together plenty of minutes. Whether they are your two bigs, or you have Kessler on the court with them. Seems to work from an outsiders point of view.

Utah could add say Murray and Randle without losing all of the 2027 firsts, any of the 2029 firsts, Kessler, Hendricks, George, or Sexton. That sets up a win now team with the flexibility of trading for a superstar if one comes available.

I think that's a recipe for a team with limited upside and I don't think Randle is a good fit with Lauri at all. Your power forward needs to be fairly switchable and while Randle can, he's not a plus defender. Otherwise, it is better to play Lauri at the 4 (because he is pretty switchable). I also don't love the offensive fit between the two if there is no stretch 5.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1062 » by K_chile22 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm

If the rockets wanted max space for some reason or just wanted to role with the young wings (doubtful on both but just curious) there would definitely be a market for Dillon Brooks right? Curious what he would be worth. Contract looks like a solid deal now that he's shooting the 3 ball solidly and his usage is a career low
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#1063 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm

K_chile22 wrote:If the rockets wanted max space for some reason or just wanted to role with the young wings (doubtful on both but just curious) there would definitely be a market for Dillon Brooks right? Curious what he would be worth. Contract looks like a solid deal now that he's shooting the 3 ball solidly and his usage is a career low

I don't see why they would move him. He is pretty important to their identity and as we have seen with many teams, finding the right identity goes a long way in development and winning [See the Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets].

I think Houston is simply better off trading one of the young(er) guys for a future pick. Keep kicking the can down the road.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1064 » by K_chile22 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:If the rockets wanted max space for some reason or just wanted to role with the young wings (doubtful on both but just curious) there would definitely be a market for Dillon Brooks right? Curious what he would be worth. Contract looks like a solid deal now that he's shooting the 3 ball solidly and his usage is a career low

I don't see why they would move him. He is pretty important to their identity and as we have seen with many teams, finding the right identity goes a long way in development and winning [See the Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets].

I think Houston is simply better off trading one of the young(er) guys for a future pick. Keep kicking the can down the road.

I think they really like all the young guys (Jalen was on the edge there but they're probably bought back in) and would be more in the trade picks state of mind than get picks for those guys.

Mostly just a hypothetical though I wouldn't be surprised if Tari is just better than Dillon next year on the floor at least (but obv can't bet on a guy coming off surgery like that)
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1065 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:23 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I think they really like all the young guys (Jalen was on the edge there but they're probably bought back in) and would be more in the trade picks state of mind than get picks for those guys.

Mostly just a hypothetical though I wouldn't be surprised if Tari is just better than Dillon next year on the floor at least (but obv can't bet on a guy coming off surgery like that)

It's weird seeing a Rocket's fan finally have veterans in the room to lead the team and then within 6-months of turning from a dumpster fire to fighting for a Play-In, they want to trade one of their two key off-season acquisitions.

I think it is fairly obvious management and coaching brought in Brooks to fill a role on and off the court and he is doing that role perfectly.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1066 » by K_chile22 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:25 pm

Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

It's weird seeing a Rocket's fan finally have veterans in the room to lead the team and then within 6-months of turning from a dumpster fire to fighting for a Play-In, they want to trade one of their two key off-season acquisitions.

I think it is fairly obvious management and coaching brought in Brooks to fill a role on and off the court and he is doing that role perfectly.

I don't necesarilly want to lol again, hypothetical. Say Paul George doesn't get a max from LAC and says he'll come if we max him out (think they can get there by cutting all the non-gts and dumping brooks but haven't done the math), extrememly unlikely scenario but in that scenario can they get something for dumping Brooks? Just curious on that after the deal was originally laughed at by many including myself
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1067 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I think they really like all the young guys (Jalen was on the edge there but they're probably bought back in) and would be more in the trade picks state of mind than get picks for those guys.

I don't necesarilly want to lol again, hypothetical. Say Paul George doesn't get a max from LAC and says he'll come if we max him out (think they can get there by cutting all the non-gts and dumping brooks but haven't done the math), extrememly unlikely scenario but in that scenario can they get something for dumping Brooks? Just curious on that after the deal was originally laughed at by many including myself

Sure but this hypothetical is a different tune than your original song.

...or just wanted to role with the young wings

I disagree with this part.

Sure, if you can get a player substantially better than Brooks, then you move Brooks, but that's just common sense. Moving Brooks "to get worse" doesn't really make sense.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1068 » by K_chile22 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:46 pm

Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Sure, if you can get a player substantially better than Brooks, then you move Brooks, but that's just common sense. Moving Brooks "to get worse" doesn't really make sense.

I was simply presenting hypothetical things they may want to do not what I would want to do necessarily. I also used the wrong 'roll', pre coffee posting lol
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:09 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I don't necesarilly want to lol again, hypothetical. Say Paul George doesn't get a max from LAC and says he'll come if we max him out (think they can get there by cutting all the non-gts and dumping brooks but haven't done the math), extrememly unlikely scenario but in that scenario can they get something for dumping Brooks? Just curious on that after the deal was originally laughed at by many including myself

I was simply presenting hypothetical things they may want to do not what I would want to do necessarily. I also used the wrong 'roll', pre coffee posting lol

I think Houston is in a position where they need to consolidate in some capacity, and it is a good position to be in.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,278

Post#1070 » by mademan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Turning down Green+some of their 1sts for Bridges is gonna end up getting Marks fired.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,848

Post#1071 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

mademan wrote:Turning down Green+some of their 1sts for Bridges is gonna end up getting Marks fired.

I know Green is the flavor of the month right now, but I'm not yet sold he's all that.

That said it never made sense not to sell high on Bridges knowing you couldn't put a contender around him and you were just wasting these cheap years. Utah made the same mistake with Lauri. Ainge is ruthless enough I thought he might, but the governor may be overruling him.

If a guy can't ever realistically be the best player on a contender, you aren't very good, and teams want to badly overpay, you should generally let them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1072 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

mademan wrote:Turning down Green+some of their 1sts for Bridges is gonna end up getting Marks fired.

maybe (if that offer was really made) but I'm willing to bet this is on Tsai
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,278

Post#1073 » by mademan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I know Green is the flavor of the month right now, but I'm not yet sold he's all that.

That said it never made sense not to sell high on Bridges knowing you couldn't put a contender around him and you were just wasting these cheap years. Utah made the same mistake with Lauri. Ainge is ruthless enough I thought he might, but the governor may be overruling him.

If a guy can't ever realistically be the best player on a contender, you aren't very good, and teams want to badly overpay, you should generally let them.

Ya wild to me. The value in Bridges was the length and cheapness of his contract. He becomes worth considerably less the longer BRK waits and the closer he gets to his next contract which will likely be an overpay (max). For a team with a dearth of assets and no real direction atm, not selling high makes zero sense.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#1074 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Have we played with Ainge adding Bridges? His cheap contract helps keep the cap space for Lauri.. And if you don’t land a superstar before the end of the 2025 season, you can likely renegotiate Bridges as well after the 2025 draft.. while you wait for a true number one to be available.

Utah can offer the late 2024 lottery pick and two 2025 firsts with “…” additional value..
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1075 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Uhhh

Read on Twitter
?t=H86OBcqHY_m_ppHecDAyZw&s=19
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#1076 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

So if I'm following this correctly, Lore and A-Rod already bought shares of the team, got the rest locked in at an sweet outdated evaluation that they could pay later (but before March 27th), acquired funding, then just... Let the clock run out????? Wtf
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#1077 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw
Texas Chuck

Post#1078 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Uhhh

Read on Twitter
?t=H86OBcqHY_m_ppHecDAyZw&s=19

Whalers has been on this for a long, long time. It looked like the ARod group was struggling with the money all along.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#1079 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

Oh, the lawyers are gonna make SO MUCH MONEY here.
Texas Chuck

Post#1080 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

K_chile22 wrote:So if I'm following this correctly, Lore and A-Rod already bought shares of the team, got the rest locked in at an sweet outdated evaluation that they could pay later (but before March 27th), acquired funding, then just... Let the clock run out????? Wtf

They don't have the money and couldn't get it right? Didn't we just see something last week about a lender dropping out? Whalers will have more details because he's been suggesting this result almost from the beginning.

Return to Trades and Transactions