Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1281 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:18 am

NYG wrote:Could Matisse Thybulle land a future 1st from a team absorbing him into the non-tax MLE?

I think it's a couple of seconds if you're asking the other not to send back any salary.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,775

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1282 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:21 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Just find it hard to put Lavine anywhere but dead last, he’s a lock for one of the 5 worst contracts in the NBA.

You’re right. Our buddy Smitty just wrote an article on Worst Contracts for Spotrac and had him at #3.

Hard to beat Beal and Poole
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,888

Post#1283 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:00 pm

mademan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Just find it hard to put Lavine anywhere but dead last, he’s a lock for one of the 5 worst contracts in the NBA.

Lavine should be last; dude makes 40mill/year (up to 50 in the last year) to not play and when he does, his impact is negligible. But im also 100% sure some terrible GM would pay positive value for him on name alone whereas guys like THJ or Huerter would return almost nothing

THJ is nothing but expiring filler. Helps that he's a mature veteran who can space the floor, so a bad team doesn't mind him on the roster, but yeah he's not returning any value and would obviously cost Dallas something to move him into space.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,605

Post#1284 » by NYG » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:19 pm

Herro and 15 for Keldon?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1285 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:54 pm

shrink wrote:

You’re right. Our buddy Smitty just wrote an article on Worst Contracts for Spotrac and had him at #3.

Hard to beat Beal and Poole

Yeah these are the two I put ahead of his without even having to think about it.

Beal’s contract is just atrocious with that NTC.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Texas Chuck

Post#1286 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:13 pm

Grant back to Detroit makes sense to me. Take the full contract on, find some sort of incentive for Blazers management to sell the fanbase on. Clears up Blazer tax issues, gives Detroit a competent veteran and a guy who chose them over a contender once before so he's prepared to come and lose games for another year or two.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#1287 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:36 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Grant back to Detroit makes sense to me. Take the full contract on, find some sort of incentive for Blazers management to sell the fanbase on. Clears up Blazer tax issues, gives Detroit a competent veteran and a guy who chose them over a contender once before so he's prepared to come and lose games for another year or two.

I get it, but feels like DET can find competent vets who don't have 4 guaranteed years left on their deal at about $33M/year. Feels like they'd want some real incentive given to them for taking that one, as opposed to giving the Blazers incentive. And the optics of that for the Blazers would be really, really bad.
Texas Chuck

Post#1288 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:47 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Grant back to Detroit makes sense to me. Take the full contract on, find some sort of incentive for Blazers management to sell the fanbase on. Clears up Blazer tax issues, gives Detroit a competent veteran and a guy who chose them over a contender once before so he's prepared to come and lose games for another year or two.

I get it, but feels like DET can find competent vets who don't have 4 guaranteed years left on their deal at about $33M/year. Feels like they'd want some real incentive given to them for taking that one, as opposed to giving the Blazers incentive. And the optics of that for the Blazers would be really, really bad.

Obviously Detroit can take the lower risk options. We've seen some of those in the past couple years. I just think Grant specifically might be a guy they felt good about making a bigger commitment to because of him choosing them before.

I don't see any scenario where Portland pays to move him though so if that's his actual value to Detroit this is a terrible thought I've had lol. I just see Grant having meaningfully more value to Detroit than Portland so value gets added to the deal just by putting a player in a better spot (shrink doctrine).
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,605

Post#1289 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:42 pm

I can't recall a final day of the season being this meaningful. I'm excited for a good day of basketball.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,447

Post#1290 » by oldncreaky » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:17 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Obviously Detroit can take the lower risk options. We've seen some of those in the past couple years. I just think Grant specifically might be a guy they felt good about making a bigger commitment to because of him choosing them before.

I don't see any scenario where Portland pays to move him though so if that's his actual value to Detroit this is a terrible thought I've had lol. I just see Grant having meaningfully more value to Detroit than Portland so value gets added to the deal just by putting a player in a better spot (shrink doctrine).

A good example of a decent, non-star veteran that Detroit could take on instead of Grant came up in another thread focused on Sacramento: Harrison Barnes. He's owed $37M total for the next 2 seasons, so he wouldn't clog up Detroit's cap sheet nearly as much as Grant, or signing Tobias as a UFA. I think Barnes could be fine in the role of playable veteran forward previously filled by Bogdanovich -- heck, of the four players, I think Barnes might be the best fit.

(Aside: a decade+ ago, there were a bunch of threads by DET and GSW posters arguing who was better, Harrison Barnes or Greg Monroe. All I've got to say now is, wow was I ever wrong on that one!)

With Cade entering his 4th year, and Ivey and Duren entering their 3rd year, would you want a large contract that runs 3+ seasons on the cap sheet? I don't. The already tricky extension decisions on those 3 young players would just get more complicated . . .
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1291 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 am

oldncreaky wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

A good example of a decent, non-star veteran that Detroit could take on instead of Grant came up in another thread focused on Sacramento: Harrison Barnes. He's owed $37M total for the next 2 seasons, so he wouldn't clog up Detroit's cap sheet nearly as much as Grant, or signing Tobias as a UFA. I think Barnes could be fine in the role of playable veteran forward previously filled by Bogdanovich -- heck, of the four players, I think Barnes might be the best fit.

(Aside: a decade+ ago, there were a bunch of threads by DET and GSW posters arguing who was better, Harrison Barnes or Greg Monroe. All I've got to say now is, wow was I ever wrong on that one!)

With Cade entering his 4th year, and Ivey and Duren entering their 3rd year, would you want a large contract that runs 3+ seasons on the cap sheet? I don't. The already tricky extension decisions on those 3 young players would just get more complicated . . .

Idk, the cap is rising you have to pay somebody, if I’m Detroit would definitely consider it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#1292 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:53 am

I think this has been suggested before, but what about a three-team deal sending Jerami Grant to Detroit and Isaiah Stewart somewhere his limited but useful tools would help more, while both Detroit and team three send multiple seconds or ludicrously protected firsts (that certainly convert to seconds) to Portland?

Detroit gets a meaningful upgrade at a mitigated cost (with Stew's contract outgoing).

Team three gets an affordable stretch five who has never put great rebounding, defense, and shooting together all at once but has the tools, anyway.

The appearance of a boatload of picks (albeit seconds) or a fake first-rounder could be face-saving enough for Portland.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1293 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:55 am

tester551 wrote:
NYG wrote:Could Matisse Thybulle land a future 1st from a team absorbing him into the non-tax MLE?

I dont think so. Maybe if Portland threw in another minor asset or two (ie - #40 pick or Duop Reath)

I hadn't thought of packaging multiple Portland bench guys together in a deal. Not one among them is worth a first rounder alone, but perhaps an offer of "we'll supercharge your bench in exchange for a bad contract" could both shave a few dollars off Portland's ledger and shake a (weak) first round pick loose.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 350

Post#1294 » by Knicks365247 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:36 am

The Pacers are going to eliminate the Bucks and then Giannis will demand a trade to the Spurs! The Spurs will then either sign Monk, or draft Bronny and have Lebron sign for the MLE! Or **** it, do both!

Man can you guys imagine???

(Giannis for Keldon Johnson, Devonte Graham, and Tre Jones plus picks should work.)

5 - Wemby
4 - Giannis
3 - LeBron
2 - Devin Vassell
1 - Sochan

Look at that size! That versatility! That distribution! Positionless basketball at it's finest!

Monk can be Ginobili role off the bench.

Not sure about cap situation but maybe they can sign Bruce Brown too! Or maybe Klay wants to join the party and signs with the Spurs! LeBron + Klay is kind of a "winning basketball" cheat code!
Man, they'd win like 75+ games with relatively good health. Maybe even go 82-0!

LeBron has always said he would love to play for Pop in the past.... I'm just saying, don't be surprised on draft night when 1. The trade for Giannis goes down and 2. Spurs draft Bronny.

:: MIC DROP ::
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,045

Post#1295 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 am

DId we just see a post where Giannis is traded and Keldon Johnson is the key piece coming back?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,556

Post#1296 » by Devilanche » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 pm

daoneandonly wrote:DId we just see a post where Giannis is traded and Keldon Johnson is the key piece coming back?

That would definitely shake up the playoff next year !
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#1297 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:59 pm

What do people think about a Jaden Ivey for Walker Kessler swap.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1298 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:What do people think about a Jaden Ivey for Walker Kessler swap.

First thought is that each guy makes much more sense on the team he's already on. :dontknow:
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,328

Post#1299 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I think it's a couple of seconds if you're asking the other not to send back any salary.

Agree there. Can’t get a first back in a dump. Depending on the other pieces of the trade it’s possible….in this draft a very late first maybe…but those teams that own those picks don’t have the cap flexibility to do that.
A couple seconds seems like his value.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,328

Post#1300 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:08 pm

Knicks365247 wrote:The Pacers are going to eliminate the Bucks and then Giannis will demand a trade to the Spurs! The Spurs will then either sign Monk, or draft Bronny and have Lebron sign for the MLE! Or **** it, do both!

Man can you guys imagine???

(Giannis for Keldon Johnson, Devonte Graham, and Tre Jones plus picks should work.)

5 - Wemby
4 - Giannis
3 - LeBron
2 - Devin Vassell
1 - Sochan

Look at that size! That versatility! That distribution! Positionless basketball at it's finest!

Monk can be Ginobili role off the bench.

Not sure about cap situation but maybe they can sign Bruce Brown too! Or maybe Klay wants to join the party and signs with the Spurs! LeBron + Klay is kind of a "winning basketball" cheat code!
Man, they'd win like 75+ games with relatively good health. Maybe even go 82-0!

LeBron has always said he would love to play for Pop in the past.... I'm just saying, don't be surprised on draft night when 1. The trade for Giannis goes down and 2. Spurs draft Bronny.

:: MIC DROP ::

Quite far fetched on all accounts.
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions