Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,940

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1401 » by K_chile22 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Fox on Malik Monk's FA: "money talks". He may not be willing to take the pay cut as some kings fans here believe.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Fans should never bet on someone taking a pay cut for their favorite team. It's possible, it happens, but whenever I see someone saying some guy is for sure taking a pay cut I eye roll
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,103

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1402 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:09 pm

NYG wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
NYG wrote:
And does that $2.09 Million count fully against the cap?

For any player signed using the actual vet minimum exception on a one year contract, rather than cap space or a different exception, yes.

Thanks! But 2024 second rounders would be the $1.1 Million regardless, right?

If they’re signed using a second round exception, cap room, or any exception other than the vet minimum exception, they would count as their actual salary.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1403 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:11 pm

NYG wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
For any player signed using the actual vet minimum exception on a one year contract, rather than cap space or a different exception, yes.

question from a CBA dummy: I thought in the past vet min deals counted less against the cap than their actual contracts--as a way to encourage teams to still sign veteran players to min contracts as opposed to rookies. Did I imagine that or was that changed in this new CBA?

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/breaking-down-nba-141m-salary-cap-projection-2024-25/

It looks like from here... any veteran two years or more only counts as the 2 year vet minimum against the tax and in trades

This is the case. The league and players association minimize any disadvantages of older players from being signed by equalizing vet minimum exception signed players salaries as equal to a 2 year veteran.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,618

Post#1404 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
NYG wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

If they’re signed using a second round exception, cap room, or any exception other than the vet minimum exception, they would count as their actual salary.

What is the second round exception for this off-season?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1405 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17 pm

NYG wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
NYG wrote:

What is the second round exception for this off-season?

A player signed to a 3 year 2nd round exception can get up to a 1 year vet minimum salary in the first year, or as little as a 0 year vet minimum salary. A 4 year 2nd round exception can get from a 0 year vet minimum salary to up to a 2 year vet minimum salary in the first year. Salary increase or decrease from year one to two can rise or drop up to 5%.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,046

Post#1406 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:06 am

Anyone know what future pick the Grizzlies traded in the Marcus Smart deal? They traded Jones, 25th pick (Sasser) and a future first.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#1407 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:08 am

Residual-Heat wrote:Anyone know what future pick the Grizzlies traded in the Marcus Smart deal? They traded Jones, 25th pick (Sasser) and a future first.

GSW 2024 1st, which was then rerouted by boston to portland in holiday trade
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#1408 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:20 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Anyone know what future pick the Grizzlies traded in the Marcus Smart deal? They traded Jones, 25th pick (Sasser) and a future first.

Thanks! Was just thinking about the Grizzlies and Marcus Smart and if they overpaid to get him. Looks like it will be the 14th pick in the draft. Too bad we didnt really get to see the Grizzlies and Smart healthy this season.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#1409 » by esvl » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:43 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Thanks! Was just thinking about the Grizzlies and Marcus Smart and if they overpaid to get him. Looks like it will be the 14th pick in the draft. Too bad we didnt really get to see the Grizzlies and Smart healthy this season.

You will see next season. Everybody will see.
BTW, the Grizz fans don’t worry about the price paid for Smart, neither should you: three B or C level assets for A is always a good deal.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#1410 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:50 am

esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

BTW, the Grizz fans don’t worry about the price paid for Smart, neither should you: three B or C level assets for A is always a good deal.

No need to get defensive. I like the trade for the Grizzlies. Dont think Jones has much trade value (Wizards couldnt get a 1st they wanted). Sasser was a very late pick and the 14th pick pick is in a weak draft. Might be a bit of an overpay, but i still like it and look forward to seeing them healthy next season. They will be very good. They just need to find a good center.
NYG
RealGM

Post#1411 » by NYG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:17 am

Best future pick for Moses Moody?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,530

Post#1412 » by Mavrelous » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:23 am

NYG wrote:Best future pick for Moses Moody?

Depends on the matching salary, if he's dumped into cap space, 1 average 2nd rounder, I don't think they'd trade him before knowing what happens with Klay.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
NYG
RealGM

Post#1413 » by NYG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:51 pm

Which contracts would teams add compensation to in order to dump?
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#1414 » by bkohler » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:29 pm

NYG wrote:Which contracts would teams add compensation to in order to dump?

I think the Jazz might add their early second to Collins and Clarkson.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#1415 » by esvl » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:04 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Thanks! Was just thinking about the Grizzlies and Marcus Smart and if they overpaid to get him. Looks like it will be the 14th pick in the draft. Too bad we didnt really get to see the Grizzlies and Smart healthy this season.

No need to get defensive. I like the trade for the Grizzlies. Dont think Jones has much trade value (Wizards couldnt get a 1st they wanted). Sasser was a very late pick and the 14th pick pick is in a weak draft. Might be a bit of an overpay, but i still like it and look forward to seeing them healthy next season. They will be very good. They just need to find a good center.

Claxton is on the way (all 20 fingers crossed)

In terms of overpayment, how so? Can someone get Smart from Memphis for the same price? That would the answer you were looking for.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#1416 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:25 pm

esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:

In terms of overpayment, how so? Can someone get Smart from Memphis for the same price? That would the answer you were looking for.

How do you sign Claxton when you're over the cap? Going to have to dump a contract or several.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#1417 » by esvl » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:34 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:No need to get defensive. I like the trade for the Grizzlies. Dont think Jones has much trade value (Wizards couldnt get a 1st they wanted). Sasser was a very late pick and the 14th pick pick is in a weak draft. Might be a bit of an overpay, but i still like it and look forward to seeing them healthy next season. They will be very good. They just need to find a good center.

How do you sign Claxton when you're over the cap? Going to have to dump a contract or several.

Sign-n-trade is our only option I believe.
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#1418 » by Astaluego » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:41 pm

esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:

I think that's very optimistic... especially with the Nets' lack of talent... I wouldn't understand them letting him go or trading him unless it was in a star package.
Old Mike Lorenzo
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#1419 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:53 pm

esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:

Nets probably wont want Clarke so Im guessing its Luke Kennard+ after you pick up his player option? Still it will probably be difficult to make that happen. The Grizzlies would definitely need to give up some good assets to convince the Nets.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#1420 » by esvl » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:58 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
esvl wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:How do you sign Claxton when you're over the cap? Going to have to dump a contract or several.

Nets probably wont want Clarke so Im guessing its Luke Kennard+ after you pick up his player option? Still it will probably be difficult to make that happen. The Grizzlies would definitely need to give up some good assets to convince the Nets.

We can get RWIII and send him to the Nets
otherwise
it would be Kennard + Ziare W or LaRavia + #8 (Clingan) or Aldama. The best offer would include both #8 and Aldama.

It’s not bad, but all depends on Clax’s position. If he says I am leaving, the Nets wouldn’t have a strong position either.

Return to Trades and Transactions