Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1001 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:13 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

How does private equity feel about paying luxury taxes?

Depends their motives. Are they investing for profit or to reduce an existing tax bills.

If profit as expected, i doubt it.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1002 » by Devilanche » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:46 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

They feel they are the smartest in the room and want to reduce each and every cost , other than their fees
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#1003 » by NYG » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:30 pm

Is Paul George in LA or Philly next year?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,568

Post#1004 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:56 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn’t matter if they are minority partners.

But imo we have seen that the alleged wealth of Lore and Arod wasn’t what some had accepted as truth. And that could well be a factor going forward.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,435

Post#1005 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:19 am

If PHI goes cap space route, they can start FA as a 2 max contracts cap space team, and be 2nd Apron team in few minutes, especially if Maxey somehow gets to all NBA.
141 (cap) - 13 (Maxey's cap hold) + 8 (room exception) + 42 (Maxey supermax) is ~179, add 7 vet min contracts and you're at 190+
Is this possible? Or does using cap space hardcap at certain Apron?
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,108

Post#1006 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:40 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn’t matter if they are minority partners.

But imo we have seen that the alleged wealth of Lore and Arod wasn’t what some had accepted as truth. And that could well be a factor going forward.

My thinking was more the financiers are going to want their return before any excess cash goes to luxury tax would be my guess.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#1007 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:44 am

Mavrelous wrote:If PHI goes cap space route, they can start FA as a 2 max contracts cap space team, and be 2nd Apron team in few minutes, especially if Maxey somehow gets to all NBA.
141 (cap) - 13 (Maxey's cap hold) + 8 (room exception) + 42 (Maxey supermax) is ~179, add 7 vet min contracts and you're at 190+

Using the room exem hard caps a team. Would have to only use 5 mil to call it the tax MLE. But don’t see using cap space as an arm to hard capping the team.

The three stars can’t equal more than 143ish. Say 10 vet mins brings you just below 170. Use the 5 mil MLE and then maybe give Martin 4-7 mil? And you could get over the first apron?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,435

Post#1008 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:49 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:If PHI goes cap space route, they can start FA as a 2 max contracts cap space team, and be 2nd Apron team in few minutes, especially if Maxey somehow gets to all NBA.

Using the room exem hard caps a team. Would have to only use 5 mil to call it the tax MLE. But don’t see using cap space as an arm to hard capping the team.

The three stars can’t equal more than 143ish

Tax MLE hard caps at 2nd Apron, so they can't use it, room exception isn't mentioned here
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#1009 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:59 am

Mavrelous wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

The three stars can’t equal more than 143ish

Tax MLE hard caps at 2nd Apron, so they can't use it, room exception isn't mentioned here

Maybe should lean to Scoot here.

“A team uses the Non-taxpayer MLE to sign a free agent”

I think that would include the room MLE, or specifically anything over the tax MLE.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#1010 » by bondom34 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=xIki5hBhIA6pi1aTgQWfeQ&s=19
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#1011 » by daoneandonly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:27 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No shocker there. Doesn't seem to do much developing or prep to the NBA
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#1012 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:37 am

So pretty low realism value but…

Lauri to Atlanta
Capela and Bogdan to Orlando
Hunter, 10th, 19th, 2025 Denver first, 2029 Atlanta unprotected

That deal would leave Atlanta with 13-14 million in cap space that they can sit on through December to extend Lauri. Then can look to use room MLE midseason (in a trade?). Can add the 2031 first or 28/30/32 swaps if four firsts isn’t enough value, or maybe Griffin/Kobe..

Is OO/Jalen/Lauri/Murray/Trae worth furthering the pick debt for? Lauri should be happy with the Sabonis extension (14 extra this year and then a a 30% jump in year two..)

I think Utah would be swapping the Kings first for a future protected first, but just looking at overall value and I think it’s enough for Utah and Orlando gets a floor spacer and a vet defender. Not perfect but it does hit two needs for a cheap price.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#1013 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:17 pm

Does the over 38 rule apply to Paul George this offseason?

If he signed a four year deal this offseason, he would turn 38 in the postseason of his last year of his deal.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

The Problem in assessing Sugg's trade value 

Post#1014 » by AaronB » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:00 pm

There was a recent thread locked (and rightfully so) that included Suggs as part of a trade.

Here is the problem in assessing Sugg's trade value.

Rookie year:

One of the worst players in the NBA, he had historically bad shooting. He was nagged by an ankle injury that limited his quickness, and he had bad handles.

Second year:

Off-season ankle surgery limited all off-season activities other than simple rehab. Pre allstar break, a little better shooting, but still not a very good player. Post allstar break, started shooting 38%+ from 3, defense became near all defense team level.

Third year:

Shooting 40%+ from 3 on a good number of attempts. Defense now elite.

Post Allstar break, the numbers are off the charts:

Of the qualified players since the all-star break (10 games 25 minutes/game):

#2 in NETRTG in the NBA (between Brown and Tatum)
#1 in DEFRTG in NBA
#2 in EFG% in NBA
#3 in TS% in NBA
Shooting 47% from 3

Team record with him playing: 12-1

Conclusion:

The problem with including Suggs in any trade is that no one can tell if this is a new normal (probably not, but Magic fans hope) or a blip.

He has a history of improving during the season and carrying over that improvement. However, that is a sample size of 1.

Clearly, the arc of improvement is almost unbelievable and no Magic fan should have expected it after the first year.

Trading him before seeing where he levels off would not be very smart.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,836

Re: The Problem in assessing Sugg's trade value 

Post#1015 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm

AaronB wrote:Here is the problem in assessing Sugg's trade value.

I really like this approach. Probably not really a thread topic so merged it into the general thread, but I like you outlining your perspective on Suggs' value in detail and why you are setting such a high valuation.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#1016 » by AaronB » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I really like this approach. Probably not really a thread topic so merged it into the general thread, but I like you outlining your perspective on Suggs' value in detail and why you are setting such a high valuation.

A couple of things:

I think it is better as its own topic because most Magic fans are thinking pretty close to this and it will save conflict.

I put no valuation on Suggs at all and that is the point of the post.

I am pretty sure I know what valuation Suggs is not, but have no idea on what he is and I doubt anyone else has an idea at this point.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Post#1017 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:36 am

AaronB wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

A couple of things:

I think it is better as its own topic because most Magic fans are thinking pretty close to this and it will save conflict.

I put no valuation on Suggs at all and that is the point of the post.

I am pretty sure I know what valuation Suggs is not, but have no idea on what he is and I doubt anyone else has an idea at this point.

On a sort of related note what # would you offer him on an extension? If his camp ask for Vassell money would you agree? Do you have a limit you would stop at and let him go into RFA?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#1018 » by NYG » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:04 am

Is there some way I can share my cap sheets with the board?
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#1019 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 am

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can say the same for one year college. NIL money killed the ignite team imo. Why play for 100k when can get millions from a couple years of college.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,886

Post#1020 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:05 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can say the same for one year college. NIL money killed the ignite team imo. Why play for 100k when can get millions from a couple years of college.

Right, because rookies are tied to a 4-year contract.

As a young, high talented rookie, you are vastly underpaid on your rookie scale, so getting into the NBA ASAP is the best move as you get to sign your first contract beyond your rookie contract sooner, making life-changing money for your family and forever change the future of your bloodline.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to Trades and Transactions