Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1361 » by NYG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 am

daoneandonly wrote:
NYG wrote:Say what you want about the play-in... these games are awesome

Don't think this game will be, neither Chi or Atl should be anywhere near playoff contention

Yeah... one thing I can say is... this board always makes me forget how good DeMar DeRozan is and then I watch him play and remember again.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,047

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1362 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:25 am

NYG wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
NYG wrote:Say what you want about the play-in... these games are awesome

Don't think this game will be, neither Chi or Atl should be anywhere near playoff contention

Yeah... one thing I can say is... this board always makes me forget how good DeMar DeRozan is and then I watch him play and remember again.

I still say the play-in could use some tweaks, more like they had in the bubble.

The first 7 spots should be set, with #8 only up for grabs. This is only up for grabs if #9 and/or #10 are within 3 games of #8. If neither are, there is no play-in for that conference.

If both are, #9 plays #10 in the first matchup, the winner plays #8. If #8 wins said game, they keep their spot and move on. If the 9/10 winner beats 8, they must do it again to advance. So essentially, the team looking outside has to win 3 games to claim another's playoff spot. If only the 9th seed is within 3 games and 10 is not, then its just a straight matchup between 8 and 9 where 9 still has to win 2 games, and 8 only has to win 1.

I think this still has the intrigue but legitimizes the regular season efforts more.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,027

Post#1363 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm

WCJ isnt getting traded unless the Magic can sign a C (Hartenstein/Claxton), but if he was on the trade market, it would be wise for the Grizzlies and Thunder to pursue him aggressively.

He'd be perfect next to Chet and JJJr. Really could be the missing piece to complete those teams. Obviously the Thunder are already very good, but I think WCJ would potentially elevate that team even more. His versatility allows them to play how they like without giving up size. For the Grizzlies, he stretches the floor for Morant and JJJr while being a good defensive fit with JJJr. Both those teams should be very willing to give up a good asset for him, and they have assets that interest me.

Other teams like the Pelicans could be interested, but i dont love his fit with Zion. Not bad, but not the best fit. Though TBF there arent any centers available that would be great fits next to Zion.

Id be disappointed if WCJ gets traded for a late 1st round pick. His contract his great, his skillset is rare for a starting center. We just saw Rozier get traded for a good pick. WCJ should at least net a similar return.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,670

Post#1364 » by toooskies » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
NYG wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I still say the play-in could use some tweaks, more like they had in the bubble.

The first 7 spots should be set, with #8 only up for grabs. This is only up for grabs if #9 and/or #10 are within 3 games of #8. If neither are, there is no play-in for that conference.

If both are, #9 plays #10 in the first matchup, the winner plays #8. If #8 wins said game, they keep their spot and move on. If the 9/10 winner beats 8, they must do it again to advance. So essentially, the team looking outside has to win 3 games to claim another's playoff spot. If only the 9th seed is within 3 games and 10 is not, then its just a straight matchup between 8 and 9 where 9 still has to win 2 games, and 8 only has to win 1.

I think this still has the intrigue but legitimizes the regular season efforts more.

Any revision to a playoff system is not going to be made to be the fairest competition at the expense of reducing the number of marketable games to sell.

There's a straightforward path to the playoffs-- get a #6 seed or higher. Those are the playoff teams. The #7-10 is there just to add some excitement at the end of the year for mediocre teams and to grab a bit more revenue. Sometimes they'll do more than just have a single game of excitement (i.e. Miami last year) but we're talking about flukes stacked with flukes to make them relevant-- Giannis's back injury, Miami suddenly figuring out how to shoot in time for the playoffs, Playoff Jimmy being a thing, and so on.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,047

Post#1365 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 pm

toooskies wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
NYG wrote:

Any revision to a playoff system is not going to be made to be the fairest competition at the expense of reducing the number of marketable games to sell.

There's a straightforward path to the playoffs-- get a #6 seed or higher. Those are the playoff teams. The #7-10 is there just to add some excitement at the end of the year for mediocre teams and to grab a bit more revenue. Sometimes they'll do more than just have a single game of excitement (i.e. Miami last year) but we're talking about flukes stacked with flukes to make them relevant-- Giannis's back injury, Miami suddenly figuring out how to shoot in time for the playoffs, Playoff Jimmy being a thing, and so on.

I still think you can have close to or just as many games with a more fair revised format. There are risks/rewards as with anything in life. I mean does anyone really want to see NO or Mia in the playoffs without Zion and Jimmy respectively, but we may have to as those guys got injured in said play-in game

Not to mention, the pathetic EASt once again has teams that wouldnt even make it out West, not a play-in issue per say, but still a tired story that keeps repeating itself.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,670

Post#1366 » by toooskies » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
toooskies wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I still think you can have close to or just as many games with a more fair revised format. There are risks/rewards as with anything in life. I mean does anyone really want to see NO or Mia in the playoffs without Zion and Jimmy respectively, but we may have to as those guys got injured in said play-in game

Not to mention, the pathetic EASt once again has teams that wouldnt even make it out West, not a play-in issue per say, but still a tired story that keeps repeating itself.

Any proposal that eliminates teams before the end of the regular season or trims the number of teams in the play-in is a non-starter.

The play-in is not there to resolve unfairness, even though it is structured as if that's somewhat the case. It's there to get 20+ markets to care about NBA basketball in March and April instead of 16. It's there to keep the Atlanta and Chicago markets interested.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,146

Post#1367 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 pm

I missed this earlier but that title is pretty dope.

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#1368 » by shrink » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am

The ShoeGA?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,013

Post#1369 » by Colbinii » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I missed this earlier but that title is pretty dope.

Read on Twitter

I'm a Data Analyst for a large UK based company which has a call center. A majority of the call center is outsourced to India.

The job titles of the employees in India remind me of SGA's title. UK employees get the title "Customer Service Rep" while the employees in India get "Executive Service Manager" yet they have identical jobs.

"Hey SGA, we want to make your shoes. Come up with a title--anything you want!"
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,013

Post#1370 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

I mean you are the face of an iconic shoe brand. Seems like a pretty cool deal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 760

Post#1371 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Could the Pistons trade for Markkanen in July and then keep $14m of cap space open until January where they renegotiate and extend him or is this against CBA rules?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#1372 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Could the Pistons trade for Markkanen in July and then keep $14m of cap space open until January where they renegotiate and extend him or is this against CBA rules?

Yes every team could do that. (Scoot might point out 90% of the cap probably)

But what happens if Lauri gets hurt? Or if Cade gets hurt and Lauri refuses to extend in January?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,325

Post#1373 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Could the Pistons trade for Markkanen in July and then keep $14m of cap space open until January where they renegotiate and extend him or is this against CBA rules?

Yes every team could do that. (Scoot might point out 90% of the cap probably)

But what happens if Lauri gets hurt? Or if Cade gets hurt and Lauri refuses to extend in January?

They make a new and even more senior FO position
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,212

Post#1374 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=U6-tciHc2G5XATz_5-RSmQ&s=19
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,232

Post#1375 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 pm

toooskies wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
toooskies wrote:Any revision to a playoff system is not going to be made to be the fairest competition at the expense of reducing the number of marketable games to sell.

Any proposal that eliminates teams before the end of the regular season or trims the number of teams in the play-in is a non-starter.

The play-in is not there to resolve unfairness, even though it is structured as if that's somewhat the case. It's there to get 20+ markets to care about NBA basketball in March and April instead of 16. It's there to keep the Atlanta and Chicago markets interested.

This. The NBA doesn't want half its teams giving up after the deadline which presents a different kind of unfairness in terms of scheduling.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
NYG
RealGM

Post#1376 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

Jerami Grant to Team X
Team X Filler + Pick to Wizards
Kuzma to Blazers
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#1377 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:22 pm

NYG wrote:Jerami Grant to Team X
Kuzma to Blazers

I don’t see any reason for Portland to not cut out Team X.

Even if the deal doesn’t save money, dump Brogdon or Simons or Thybulle in a follow up deal..
NYG
RealGM

Post#1378 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Kuzma to Blazers

I don’t see any reason for Portland to not cut out Team X.

Even if the deal doesn’t save money, dump Brogdon or Simons or Thybulle in a follow up deal..

What protection would be required on a 2025 Warriors 1st to make a Wiggins for Grant deal work? For all of the Warriors' faults, they were a 46-win team and if you replaced Wiggins with Grant, they could have easily gotten 4 more wins to be a 50-win team.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#1379 » by tester551 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 pm

Kuzma to Blazers

Not sure why Portland would do this...

I have Grant > Kuzma
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,013

Post#1380 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm

tester551 wrote:
Kuzma to Blazers

Not sure why Portland would do this...

I have Grant > Kuzma

I'm guessing the reason is largely financial. Allows them to keep Thybulle (or take back money while getting value out of trading him instead of needing to trade him without taking back much money.

And I'm not sure its consensus that Grant moves the needle of a bad team more than Kuzma does. Both can provide scoring as more primary options than ideally they would be. Neither does much else of note. It's pretty logical to me.

Again, as on all Blazer topics this is simply one poster's opinion and is not meant to declare any other opinions invalid or wrong. Just like my opinion, man.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions