DET/NYK/MIN - does it make too much sense?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: DET/NYK/MIN - does it make too much sense? 

Post#21 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:49 am

I wouldn’t be shocked to see everyone in this deal aside from Kyle Anderson bought out. Anderson probably needs to get swapped for Shake Milton and Troy Brown Jr as well as a 2nd and cash(?). NY probably doesn’t owe a 1st here but instead 2 or so 2nds.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#22 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:25 am

wolves_89 wrote:
vege wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
The Pistons acquired Morris for one 2nd round pick and offseason cap space. At this point in the season, expiring contracts and a 2nd round pick is pretty much the equivalent of what Detroit paid to acquire him.

ROFL. Raw cap space is always way more valuable than expirings no matter what. WTF are you talking about, unless we're talking about desirable players on expiring deals which none of Minnesota guys are.

Unless you have a time machine, offseason cap space has no value at the trade deadline. For the upcoming trade deadline, Morris is a player on an expiring contract who has missed 43 games and has awful production in his limited minutes since returning. Expecting more than expiring matching salary and a 2nd or two seems unrealistic.

So let's recap this dumb conversation, shall we?

Minesotta have interest in Monte Morris, they were interested in him last season as well.

Someone posted a trade involving SlowMo for Morris. Since Detroit have no use for another inept ofensive player, the OP sent Slow Mo to another team sending something Detroit actually want in return.

Then a Minesotta fan said, Minny wouldn't trade Slow Mo for Morris, they would trade a pile of garbage for him.

I said Detroit paid more than Minny's garbage to acquire Morris, and they like him.

Then out of nowhere, you came and said Detroit didn't trade more than that offer for Morris.

I proved you wrong, saying they did.

Then you embarrassed yourself again, saying that because of the context (deadline) multiple unwanted garbage expirings (which would force a team to spend money to waive someone they may not be interested in waive) is equal to raw cap space in the offseason.

Which is ridiculous.

I said that is ridiculous. You are still trying to justify it, which doesn't make you look very bright imo.

Then you change subject and say to expect more than expirings and a 2nd round pick is unrealistic.

Detroit is not shopping Morris. They are happy to keep him for what we know.

Just because you think that's what a player is worth, IF it doesn't make ANY sense to the other team to trade a player they do not want to trade for that package, doesn't mean you are correct. Value in a vacuum is not enough to make a trade happen. It need to make sense for BOTH teams.

Detroit FO did not trade Bojan last offseason, and it was reported they were offered 2 1sts.

If they don't like what's being offered, they will not trade the player just to make YOUR team better.

Detroit want to develop Cade/Ivey/Ausar/Duren. What those 4 guys lack? Shooting and experience. What does Bojan, Burks, Morris add?

So why do you think Detroit would trade Monte Morris for UNWANTED expirings and crap 2nds?

Do you still want to continue this conversation? It ended just fine before you start interacting.

Minny expressed interest. Someone said their offer would be a pile of crap, I said I doubt Detroit would trade Morris for a pile of crap. The guy said, that's fine, we will likely target someone else. End of discussion.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#23 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:50 am

vege wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
vege wrote:
ROFL. Raw cap space is always way more valuable than expirings no matter what. WTF are you talking about, unless we're talking about desirable players on expiring deals which none of Minnesota guys are.

Unless you have a time machine, offseason cap space has no value at the trade deadline. For the upcoming trade deadline, Morris is a player on an expiring contract who has missed 43 games and has awful production in his limited minutes since returning. Expecting more than expiring matching salary and a 2nd or two seems unrealistic.

Minesotta have interest in Monte Morris, they were interested in him last season as well.

Someone posted a trade involving SlowMo for Morris. Since Detroit have no use for another inept ofensive player, the OP sent Slow Mo to another team sending something Detroit actually want in return.

Then a Minesotta fan said, Minny wouldn't trade Slow Mo for Morris, they would trade a pile of garbage for him.

I said Detroit paid more than Minny's garbage to acquire Morris, and they like him.

Then out of nowhere, you came and said Detroit didn't trade more than that offer for Morris.

Then you embarrassed yourself again, saying that because of the context (deadline) multiple unwanted garbage expirings (which would force a team to spend money to waive someone they may not be interested in waive) is equal to raw cap space in the offseason.

Which is ridiculous.

I said that is ridiculous. You are still trying to justify it, which doesn't make you look very bright imo.

Then you change subject and say to expect more than expirings and a 2nd round pick is unrealistic.

Just because you think that's what a player is worth, IF it doesn't make ANY sense to the other team to trade a player they do not want to trade for that package, doesn't mean you are correct. Value in a vacuum is not enough to make a trade happen. It need to make sense for BOTH teams.

Detroit FO did not trade Bojan last offseason, and it was reported they were offered 2 1sts.

If they don't like what's being offered, they will not trade the player just to make YOUR team better.

Detroit want to develop Cade/Ivey/Ausar/Duren. What those 4 guys lack? Shooting and experience. What does Bojan, Burks, Morris add?

So why do you think Detroit would trade Monte Morris for UNWANTED expirings and crap 2nds?

Do you still want to continue this conversation? It ended just fine before you start interacting.

Minny expressed interest. Someone said their offer would be a pile of crap, I said I doubt Detroit would trade Morris for a pile of crap. The guy said, that's fine, we will likely target someone else. End of discussion.

Detroit has the choice of getting a small asset for Morris, letting him expire and walk, or committing money to another mediocre backup guard. I'd take the second.

I agree with everyone saying that Morris' value is a 2nd and expiring 'junk.'

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
vege
RealGM

Post#24 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
vege wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Which is ridiculous.

Detroit has the choice of getting a small asset for Morris, letting him expire and walk, or committing money to another mediocre backup guard. I'd take the second.

You ignored everything you said. Great.

What is more important. a 2nd or give your struggling young players a better chance to develop?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:36 pm

vege wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
vege wrote:

Which is ridiculous.

What is more important. a 2nd or give your struggling young players a better chance to develop?

I don't see how a player of Morris' caliber is helping develop the young guys, especially when your prospects need the ball in their hands.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
vege
RealGM

Post#26 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:39 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
vege wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Detroit has the choice of getting a small asset for Morris, letting him expire and walk, or committing money to another mediocre backup guard. I'd take the second.

I don't see how a player of Morris' caliber is helping develop the young guys, especially when your prospects need the ball in their hands.

So read my post again, because I explained it. But you do you. This is a dumb conversation and I want no part of it anymore. I explained my point very well alread, several times.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:56 pm

vege wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
vege wrote:

So read my post again, because I explained it. But you do you. This is a dumb conversation and I want no part of it anymore. I explained my point very well alread, several times.

It is well and good to want some veterans who can shoot and pass, but Morris isn't providing anything that Sasser doesn't.

JColl
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#28 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:16 pm

vege wrote:So you guys are not really interested in Morris. Because we paid a lot more than that to acquire Morris in the offseason.

On June 30, 2023, Detroit paid for potentially 82 games of a healthy Monte Morris, who was 3.4/5.3/10.3 3P 38.2%

On February 6, 2024, Detroit is selling 32 games of a Monte Morris coming off injury, who’s 2.0/1.3/4.5 3P 18.2%

And you think the price should be the same?
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#29 » by Billl » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:23 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
vege wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't see how a player of Morris' caliber is helping develop the young guys, especially when your prospects need the ball in their hands.

It is well and good to want some veterans who can shoot and pass, but Morris isn't providing anything that Sasser doesn't.

Well, experience. It makes a difference. It's really, really hard to win games playing all young guys.
vege
RealGM

Post#30 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:04 pm

shrink wrote:
vege wrote:So you guys are not really interested in Morris. Because we paid a lot more than that to acquire Morris in the offseason.

On June 30, 2023, Detroit paid for potentially 82 games of a healthy Monte Morris, who was 3.4/5.3/10.3 3P 38.2%

On February 6, 2024, Detroit is selling 32 games of a Monte Morris coming off injury, who’s 2.0/1.3/4.5 3P 18.2%

Sample Size and Context
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#31 » by cgf » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:07 pm

Getting expirings for Fournier's team option isn't actually that appealing to us. The 2nd apron shouldn't be tough for us to avoid this summer, and we're going to be operating as an over-the-cap team. So having that tradeable salary would be helpful for any offseason moves.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#32 » by shrink » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:08 pm

vege wrote:
shrink wrote:

Sample Size and Context

Even if the Coke hasn’t gotten worse, you drank two third of the bottle, and still want to sell it for the same price.
vege
RealGM

Post#33 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:09 pm

shrink wrote:
vege wrote:
shrink wrote:On June 30, 2023, Detroit paid for potentially 82 games of a healthy Monte Morris, who was 3.4/5.3/10.3 3P 38.2%

Sample Size and Context

Even if the Coke hasn’t gotten worse, you drank two third of the bottle, and still want to sell it for the same price.

Context.

Is Detroit selling him? :noway:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,448

Post#34 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:40 pm

vege wrote:
shrink wrote:
vege wrote:
Sample Size and Context

Context.

At the same time is he resigning for a rebuild? He might, but he might not. Is the value of two months of him on a losing season worth more than recouping the second and getting a look at a non guaranteed TBJ and Shake? If think TBJ is actually a value contract and Shake could be but won’t.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,013

Post#35 » by R-DAWG » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:48 pm

I think the price is a little too rich for the Knicks. I don't think either Burks or Anderson are worth a 1st rd pick, and not having either under team control for next year given the Knicks current cap situation makes both guys rentals.

I would consider giving up the future WAS 1st that is unlikely (at this point) to convey, but not the DET pick.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,007

Post#36 » by Rockazoids » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:55 pm

I believe NY inclusion in this is just to abstract draft capital from them.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
vege
RealGM

Post#37 » by vege » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:08 pm

winforlose wrote:
vege wrote:
shrink wrote:Even if the Coke hasn’t gotten worse, you drank two third of the bottle, and still want to sell it for the same price.

Context.

At the same time is he resigning for a rebuild? He might, but he might not. Is the value of two months of him on a losing season worth more than recouping the second and getting a look at a non guaranteed TBJ and Shake? If think TBJ is actually a value contract and Shake could be but won’t.

If you are paying any attention the answer is obvious. Yes 2 months helping the team be functional to give our young players a chance to develop is immensely more important than recouping a 2nd or 2.

Detroit did not trade Bojan and Burks last deadline for the same reason. They had offers.

TBJ and Shake are garbage and you know it. They're 3rd stringers/GLeague talent.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,448

Post#38 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:29 pm

vege wrote:
winforlose wrote:
vege wrote:
Context.

If you are paying any attention the answer is obvious. Yes 2 months helping the team be functional to give our young players a chance to develop is immensely more important than recouping a 2nd or 2.

Detroit did not trade Bojan and Burks last deadline for the same reason. They had offers.

TBJ and Shake are garbage and you know it. They're 3rd stringers/GLeague talent.

Shake yes, TBJ no. TBJ has played meaningful minutes against good teams, and our fan base doesn’t truly understand why Finch hasn’t used him in spot minutes as a 10th man. You might say 10th man is garbage, but 10th man on 15 loss team is not nothing. He was 9th and might still be if NAW was more of a PG.

Two months of teaching guys to play PG while he is struggling isn’t as valuable as you might think. I want Tyus over Morris because Morris is struggling and not really back yet. Maybe you squeeze one truly productive month out of him, maybe you don’t. For us it would be more about the playoffs and the future after Mike Conley (assuming Morris would resign to reasonable money.) Overall, I think if Detroit didn’t want to move him they wouldn’t be in talks to move him, but what do I know.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#39 » by eitanr » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:23 am

This actually happened
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#40 » by cgf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:10 pm

eitanr wrote:This actually happened

I like your version more than the real one :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to Trades and Transactions