[Charania]: P.J. Washington To Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Re: [Charania]: P.J. Washington To Dallas 

Post#81 » by BK_2020 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:35 pm

amcoolio wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:PJ gives Mavs size and rebounding.. I like the player and I think he has more value to a playoff team than he showed in Charlotte

Huh? Those are two of PJ's least desirable qualities. He's undersized at 6'7" for a power forward/center and doesn't rebound. His rebounding rate is truly awful. Charlotte needed rebounds in the worst way too.

PJ gives the Mavs streaky 3 point shooting - sometimes he's hot and goes for 30+ - and he's mostly always been healthy. Thats about it

Everything is relative. PJ is replacing a 6'5 Grant Williams who was averaging 3.6 rebounds per game.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#82 » by realEAST » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:35 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:PJ gives Mavs size and rebounding.. I like the player and I think he has more value to a playoff team than he showed in Charlotte

He’s a great fit. Him and Maxi switching everywhere will be fun to watch. Having one of Gafford or Lively always on court is huge though.

Everyone will be happy with PJ. The price is the issue. At least top 10 protected..

Hopefully Luka stays so this isn't that much of an issue... moves today should help.
It's hard to make couple of moves like this without assuming some future risk. I think this time it could be worth it
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#83 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:36 pm

PJ is versatile but inconsistent. His defense has gone way down this year, but prior to that he has been a good on ball defender who can also provide some rim protection.

He is ideally a stretch 4, who has plenty of range to shoot above the break threes with defenders contesting. Charlotte used him a lot as a small ball 5 because he is very good at attacking closeouts and he can pass a bit. Along with a very effective floater/push shot.

He seems to struggle when asked to be a bench guy, much more consistent as a starter. Charlotte is very bad at generating corner 3s so I am sure that will be an adjustment for him in Dallas, only 17% of his threes were from corner compared to Grant at 38%. Career PJ shoots them fine, but it just hasn't been a big part of his game.

Overall I think he is a good guy, smart, but also can look to not be giving 100% effort all the time. Maybe being in a new organization will be a game changer for him.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#84 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:37 pm

gswhoops wrote:Charlotte had a sneaky good deadline. Getting a 1st for PJ and Mann + Micic + some 2nds for Hayward is nice work.

And the Miami first, even though it was earlier..

They have a nice group as well. Expect them to be play-in fighting next year (if Ball is healthy obviously) .. assume they’re paying Bridges
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#85 » by daoneandonly » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:37 pm

Nobody else today really gave up a first or swap. We saw quality players moved. Only Dallas has an inept GM who cant negotiate his way out of Uncle Scrooge's money bin.

SO did Dallas get any 2nds as rumored?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#86 » by dirkforpres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:38 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
If you watched Mavs games, you could tell how frustrated Luka was with Grantfor.

Weird. I watch every Dallas game I can. However we can, since I left Plano a few years back.

But I’m in on dumping Grant, he didn’t work out. Cut the loss. Get it. That’s why I didn’t respond about the 2030 swap. It was a bad bet, but it made sense….

I’m in on trading for PJ. He’s going to be loved by the team and fans.

Also can say Dallas overpaid. I’ll say in my opinion, but looks like it’s most peoples opinions.

It was definitely an overpay for PJ alone... but I would argue that it was a necessary overpay. Trading for a 25 year old starting PF/C will 99 times out of 100 cost the acquiring team a 1st. Would I have liked more protections? Absolutely.... But they also probably dont want to be handicapped year after year from trading picks like we have been since the Porzingis trade.
FIRE JASON KIDD
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#87 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:40 pm

realEAST wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

He’s a great fit. Him and Maxi switching everywhere will be fun to watch. Having one of Gafford or Lively always on court is huge though.

Everyone will be happy with PJ. The price is the issue. At least top 10 protected..

Hopefully Luka stays so this isn't that much of an issue... moves today should help.
It's hard to make couple of moves like this without assuming some future risk. I think this time it could be worth it

Yeah, I think another issue for me is Kyrie isn’t 28 years old..

Going all in with mismatched stars that aren’t even a great fit.. feels unwise. But all the team needs is one healthy good run in next 2-3 years and it’ll have been worth it. Hindsight and all.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#88 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Nobody else today really gave up a first or swap. We saw quality players moved. Only Dallas has an inept GM who cant negotiate his way out of Uncle Scrooge's money bin.

Dallas got the best two players moved today.

At least the best fitting players. Buddy isn’t needed, Bojan is 34 and less of a need compared to these two… So makes sense that they paid the most.

Just trying.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#89 » by daoneandonly » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:46 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Nobody else today really gave up a first or swap. We saw quality players moved. Only Dallas has an inept GM who cant negotiate his way out of Uncle Scrooge's money bin.

Dallas got the best two players moved today.

At least the best fitting players. Buddy isn’t needed, Bojan is 34 and less of a need compared to these two… So makes sense that they paid the most.

Just trying.

Appreciate u talking me off this ledge jay, but this one still hurts

I'd actually say O'Neale is better than PJ and Grimes and Gafford wash all things considering. But fit/need wise, yea Mavs got some missing pieces. Just wish it didnt cost a premium
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#90 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=NKv_52EVZIqQ_RfdppgQxA&s=19
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#91 » by realEAST » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:07 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
realEAST wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Yeah, I think another issue for me is Kyrie isn’t 28 years old..

Going all in with mismatched stars that aren’t even a great fit.. feels unwise. But all the team needs is one healthy good run in next 2-3 years and it’ll have been worth it. Hindsight and all.

That's true.
But that alley oop dunk has to give you some optimism :D

Also, one thing to consider - and I am not sure if it is a good thing or a bad - but all major Mavs contract apart from Green are set to expire ahead of 2027, so Dallas should have ample cap space summer ahead of FA when Luka is up for extension (and expirings season heading into that offseason).
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 210

Post#92 » by balsamic_ducks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:13 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

There it is. Mavs have now traded their 27 1st(Top-2 Protected), 28 swap(unprotected), 29 1st(unprotected), and 30 swap(unprotected)
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#93 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:17 pm

realEAST wrote:so Dallas should have ample cap space summer ahead.

Hoping that’s not the case and there’s some Donnie retool magic done in 18-24 months.

It’s not all bad. Dallas can now defend and rebound. Watching the team won’t be as frustrating. It just cost more than it should have.
something47
Junior
And1: 30

Post#94 » by something47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:46 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

There it is. Mavs have now traded their 27 1st(Top-2 Protected), 28 swap(unprotected), 29 1st(unprotected), and 30 swap(unprotected)

To be honest, assuming DAL had all its picks not sure who they could have outbid for better players so far this year. The big names that got moved were Siakam and OG, neither of which a multi-pick and player package would have beat from IND and NYK.

Not to mention players that didn't get traded like Mikal Bridges were rejected with a better offer of Green + a bunch of picks got rejected which means DAL would have lost that bidding war as well.

They got young players who are very solid, on good contracts. The NYK didn't get OG with picks alone, they swapped out Barrett (who people said had a terrible contract) and Quickley (a young player on a rookie deal on the rise) + a pick. So picks aren't everything.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,751

Post#95 » by SkyHook » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:04 pm

I guess that I'm the rare guy who likes this for Dallas. Of course PJ torching the Jazz for 43 points on 90+ TS% is still fresh on my mind.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#96 » by HornetJail » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:13 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Huh? Those are two of PJ's least desirable qualities. He's undersized at 6'7" for a power forward/center and doesn't rebound. His rebounding rate is truly awful. Charlotte needed rebounds in the worst way too.

PJ gives the Mavs streaky 3 point shooting - sometimes he's hot and goes for 30+ - and he's mostly always been healthy. Thats about it

Everything is relative. PJ is replacing a 6'5 Grant Williams who was averaging 3.6 rebounds per game.

PJ's rebounding numbers will be largely similar, assuming you have Gafford and Lively inhaling rebounds for 48 minutes next to him. PJ barely even looks at the boards when Mark Williams is playing.

Dallas is getting a much more versatile player than Grant Williams, a much more dynamic player, and someone who knows how to punish really bad defense.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#97 » by BK_2020 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:34 pm

HornetJail wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

PJ's rebounding numbers will be largely similar, assuming you have Gafford and Lively inhaling rebounds for 48 minutes next to him. PJ barely even looks at the boards when Mark Williams is playing.

Dallas is getting a much more versatile player than Grant Williams, a much more dynamic player, and someone who knows how to punish really bad defense.

Good luck. Enjoy the next 3.5 years of Grant Williams punishing defenses.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#98 » by HornetJail » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:36 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Everything is relative. PJ is replacing a 6'5 Grant Williams who was averaging 3.6 rebounds per game.

i'm sure we won't ask him to. Not even Clifford would try that
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#99 » by BK_2020 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:38 pm

HornetJail wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
HornetJail wrote:PJ's rebounding numbers will be largely similar, assuming you have Gafford and Lively inhaling rebounds for 48 minutes next to him. PJ barely even looks at the boards when Mark Williams is playing.

i'm sure we won't ask him to. Not even Clifford would try that

Well he'll be close to an expiring by the time Lamelo and Miller are ready to compete.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#100 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:55 pm

How are Mavs fans feeling? It's not a big splashy move, but didn't think they needed one. Luka/Kyrie/THJ can carry the scoring burden. They just went from the worst front court, to a semi competitive one. I like the moves.

So excited to see PJ outside of Charlotte. Talent is there, now can he put it together as a great roll player? I think he can.

Return to Trades and Transactions