What Now? 2024 Off-Season Predictions

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Re: What Now? 2024 Off-Season Predictions 

Post#121 » by BK_2020 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:20 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
TimDunkin wrote:Been looking forward to the offseason for the past 30 games or so. There's so much smoke around the Trae/Spurs that there has to be some fire, right? What's a realistic return if Trae demands a trade generally?

Spurs obviously won't include Wemby and don't want to part with Sochan, Vassell, or Keldon - with Keldon probably being the easiest to budge on. Keldon, Devonte Graham, Malaki Branham, SAS 24 1st, ATL 25 & 27 1st, CHI 25 1st, and ATL 26 swap?

I think the smoke is mostly due to the fact that the spurs have the Hawks' picks. If the Hawks do try to tank, they almost have to trade with the spurs because you can't tank without your picks.

Spurs definitely have the assets to get it done imo. They also have Toronto's pick. Wemby, Trae and Vessell is a good core but there would still be a lot of work to do to make that team competitive.

Brooklyn tanked a few years back two years in a row without thier picks lol.

The Nets teams that gifted the 3rd pick and the 1st overall to the Celtics weren't really tanking teams though. They had Lopez, Bojan, and had guys like Jeremy Lin and Booker who were considered decent veteran roleplayers. Despite that they won only a handful of games more than the Sixers who were trying to lose.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,717

Post#122 » by Ell Curry » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:06 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:I think Jerami Grant will get dealt for a pretty strong return, because depending on Ingram, he's the best forward who should be available. He's better than Kuzma and Wiggins and Bruce Brown.

Who the hell wants Grant on that contract

My guess is once teams who are stocked at guard and centers but have much less at forward like Sacrament and Cleveland lose, Grant will look pretty tempting. Maybe a consolation prize for Philly too if they strike out otherwise, getting a wing between Embiid and Maxey makes sense fit-wise.
Where's the D?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#123 » by NYG » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:25 pm

Who asks out this off-season?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,840

Post#124 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:00 pm

NYG wrote:Who asks out this off-season?

The star I want from your team. Never the star from my team. Obviously.

Realistically, Kyrie is always a threat and while I think Luka probably waits on his supermax, I never rule that out either if Dallas flames out again.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM

Post#125 » by NYG » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Realistically, Kyrie is always a threat and while I think Luka probably waits on his supermax, I never rule that out either if Dallas flames out again.

I think we're a while away from Luka, but time moves fast in NBA time so I think this off-season into next trade deadline Dallas has to really make some moves around Luka.
NYG
RealGM

Post#126 » by NYG » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:18 pm

NYG wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think we're a while away from Luka, but time moves fast in NBA time so I think this off-season into next trade deadline Dallas has to really make some moves around Luka.

I could see Mitchell requesting a bigger market

I could see New Orleans making a Zion or Ingram decision because keeping both gets expensive

I could see Minnesota if they have a poor playoffs trading KAT for depth pieces around Edwards and Gobert to save some money.

If the Suns don't sniff a title this year, I could see KD wanting out again.

That's it for this off-season that I see as realistic.
NYG
RealGM

Post#127 » by NYG » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:58 am

NYG wrote:I could see Mitchell requesting a bigger market

I could see New Orleans making a Zion or Ingram decision because keeping both gets expensive

I could see Minnesota if they have a poor playoffs trading KAT for depth pieces around Edwards and Gobert to save some money.

Mitchell to the Lakers
KD to the Knicks
KAT to the Heat
Zion to the Mavericks

Would that qualify as a crazy off-season?
CP3nthusiast
Junior
And1: 202

Post#128 » by CP3nthusiast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:53 am

I think Brooklyn is waiting until the offseason to see if they could get Trae Young and if not, trade Bridges to Houston for their picks back.

They should tear it down in my opinion. If they get all their picks back for Bridges and an additional 4 1sts for DFS Johnson & Claxton, they could end up with 15 first round picks over the next 6 years. Let Cam Thomas average 30 PPG next season and sell high on him, maybe a 2nd for Simmons' expiring. They could be the next OKC if they play their cards right.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#129 » by zimpy27 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

I'm interested in what GSW, Pels, OKC, Spurs do in the West. I'm also interested in what Cavs, Nets, Philly and Hawks do in East
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#130 » by MKWB » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:11 pm

NYG wrote:

Mitchell to the Lakers
KD to the Knicks
KAT to the Heat
Zion to the Mavericks

Yea, crazy as in I don't see any of those as realistic possibilities :lol: But who, knows, we've been surprised before!
Interested in what kind of trade you think would get the Mavs Zion. I guess Lively, Prosper, Hardy, THJ expiring and their newly available future picks? Interesting option, although I'd imagine GM Griffin (or new GM) would want to send Zion to the East if it got to that point.

Side note-- What do y'all think about Goga Bitadze and Isaiah Hartenstein's free agency outlooks? I think both are better fits for the Pelicans than JV, and they would have the space to sign one of them to the full MLE (~12.5m/yr.)
NYG
RealGM

Post#131 » by NYG » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:16 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I'm interested in what GSW, Pels, OKC, Spurs do in the West. I'm also interested in what Cavs, Nets, Philly and Hawks do in East

Who do you think asks out post-playoffs?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#132 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:54 pm

NYG wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I'm interested in what GSW, Pels, OKC, Spurs do in the West. I'm also interested in what Cavs, Nets, Philly and Hawks do in East

This depends a ton on the playoff results, lol.

KAT is the most likely star to be traded if the Wolves lose in the first or second round (the financial situation is really bad for the Wolves). Durant is probably the most likely to demand a trade if the Suns lose in the first round. Donovan Mitchell will probably get traded if the Cavs lose in the first-round. If Mitchell extends, Darius Garland could be traded if the Cavs' lack of size gets exploited. If the Cavs' lack of shooting gets exploited, Evan Mobley is definitely gone. Giannis could demand a trade if the Bucks lose again in the first-round, but probably not likely. Luka could demand a trade if the Mavs lose in the first-round or miss the playoffs again, but maybe not likely. Unclear how well the Clippers have to do to re-sign Paul George to a max. Trae Young probably should be traded, but it's not clear what the Hawks will do. Mikal Bridges will probably be traded if the Rockets are willing to give back the picks and the Nets strike out on stars, but this scenario seems unlikely.
NYG
RealGM

Post#133 » by NYG » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:00 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
NYG wrote:

KAT is the most likely star to be traded if the Wolves lose in the first or second round (the financial situation is really bad for the Wolves). Durant is probably the most likely to demand a trade if the Suns lose in the first round. Donovan Mitchell will probably get traded if the Cavs lose in the first-round. If Mitchell extends, Darius Garland could be traded if the Cavs' lack of size gets exploited. If the Cavs' lack of shooting gets exploited, Evan Mobley is definitely gone. Giannis could demand a trade if the Bucks lose again in the first-round, but probably not likely. Luka could demand a trade if the Mavs lose in the first-round or miss the playoffs again, but maybe not likely. Unclear how well the Clippers have to do to re-sign Paul George to a max. Trae Young probably should be traded, but it's not clear what the Hawks will do. Mikal Bridges will probably be traded if the Rockets are willing to give back the picks and the Nets strike out on stars, but this scenario seems unlikely.

KAT to Brooklyn and they let Claxton get paid elsewhere?

Mitchell to the Lakers

I think ultimately Phoenix gets creative around KD but don't know what that even looks like so maybe he asks out.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,687

Post#134 » by shrink » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:34 pm

NYG wrote:

Mitchell to the Lakers
KD to the Knicks
KAT to the Heat
Zion to the Mavericks

It sounds like many articles that will get clicks this summer, since it’s all lesser markets sending their stars to the prestige clubs.
NYG
RealGM

Post#135 » by NYG » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:39 pm

NYG wrote:Who are the top 5 free agents that will be on a new team next year?

DeRozan - Could see a better team paying him short term

Tobias - Could see a worse team paying him more than Philly

Bruce Brown - Raptors probably prefer the cap flexibility with the upcoming IQ deal

Claxton - I could see him landing a deal Brooklyn wouldn't top

Monk/Hield/Tyus - I have these 3 as all about even at 5

??
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#136 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:51 pm

I predict the Nets move Mikal Bridges, anywhere but across town to the Knicks.

Maybe something can be arranged with Atlanta centered on Trae Young.
It has been written...
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#137 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:17 am

NYG wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
NYG wrote:

KAT to Brooklyn and they let Claxton get paid elsewhere?

Mitchell to the Lakers

I think ultimately Phoenix gets creative around KD but don't know what that even looks like so maybe he asks out.

The Lakers don't have the ammo for a Mitchell deal.

I don't know about KAT in Brooklyn. Marks has a C type, and it's typically of the value contract, blocks and lobs variety. That being said, Towns is a star that shouldn’t cost a ton in terms of trade because of his contract. The Nets are probably looking for 2 stars with their trove of picks. KAT would probably require a couple more cost effective players and a couple picks, leaving enough ammo for another star trade.

It would be interesting if Marks could pull off deals for both local guys (KAT and Mitchell). The assets are likely there to do it, but if they're dead set at staying below the tax, it's impossible.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#138 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:25 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I predict the Nets move Mikal Bridges, anywhere but across town to the Knicks.

Maybe something can be arranged with Atlanta centered on Trae Young.

I just don't see it. Mikal is a valued teammate and attracts interest from other stars. Mikal plus living in New York is the Brooklyn pitch to FAs or players asking out.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#139 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:29 am

NYG wrote:

It depends on the playoffs, too early to tell.

My guess is that KAT or Gobert is traded this offseason. Murray is also traded (perhaps part of KAT or Gobert trade).

Cavs also probably trade Mitchell if he doesn't extend or Garland if he does.

Pelicans are an outside chance of trades.

I don't think any team goes for an obvious rebuild. Hawks are the only candidate to sell stars and rebuild. Bulls might but don't think LaVine is that valuable.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#140 » by jayjaysee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 pm

MKWB wrote:
NYG wrote:

Mitchell to the Lakers
KD to the Knicks
KAT to the Heat
Zion to the Mavericks

Yea, crazy as in I don't see any of those as realistic possibilities :lol: But who, knows, we've been surprised before!
Interested in what kind of trade you think would get the Mavs Zion. I guess Lively, Prosper, Hardy, THJ expiring and their newly available future picks

The only way I see that is Kyrie and Luka blow up and you use Kyrie to get Zion and fill in the gap with parts of what you listed.

Whether thats NOP thinking they can win with Ingram/Kyrie and their current group or it’s a third team paying half/most the value for Zion but getting Kyrie. If you put Kyrie and Ingram together with whatever value adds to get that done, maybe tie in a PJ/THJ for CJM type swap?

I think Zion will still return a really good amount if New Orleans shops him, though I understand I’m in the large minority there on this forum. The upside is still clear despite the big risk.

Return to Trades and Transactions